Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A tribute to the brilliance of Lesley Ann Warren in Victor Victoria.

A truly outstanding performance -- one for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2019 9:17 PM

Poooookie!

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2019 5:14 AM

Shakespearean delivery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2019 5:19 AM

I recently watched her in a season one episode of Love American Style and it was the first time I realized she was trying to emulate Natalie Wood. She had the big brown eyes going for her so she did resemble Natalie a bit but her acting style (if you could call it that) was full-on Natalie. I'm glad she learned her craft and eventually evolved into her own person.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2019 5:27 AM

Think, worry, worry, think... mm! too soft. It just gets like a vicious cycle! And then, before you know it, you are [italic]impudent[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2019 6:41 AM

She should have won the Oscar that year for her performance in Victor/Victoria. I felt she was the most deserving but it was tough competition. Glenn Close in The World According to Garp and Jessica Lange & Teri Garr in Tootsie was also very good. Funny, I didn't like Lange in Tootsie when I first saw the film back in 1982 but I watched it again recently for the first time and thought she was great the second time round. Thought Kim Stanley was terrible in Frances.

Lesley Ann Warren is also great in Choose Me & Colour of Night - its such a bad film but she gives it class.

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2019 7:14 AM

In retrospect, that might have been one of Oscars's greatest Best Supporting Actress Categories. A solid case could be made for every performance, (including Kim Stanley's, sorry R5).

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2019 7:21 AM

Face it. The ONLY reason Lange won for Tootsie was because since she wasn't gonna win for best actress the Academy thought she should, at least, have SOMETHING.

Stanley or Warren should have taken it that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2019 7:51 AM

I read a story (take it for what it's worth) that Blake Edwards ran a rough cut of the film for cast members at his and Julie's home. Half way through it, Leslie ran out of the screening room in tears. He went after her and asked what was wrong. She felt that she had completely over-acted her part. Edwards reassured her that she had done it perfectly and that she would probably get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2019 8:04 AM

Lange was effectively the costar of Tootsie, not supporting as Garr was. Jessica just didn't belong in this category. Teri was competitive but I'd have voted for Lesley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2019 8:08 AM

Leslie Ann should have won just for pulling off those costumes, that hair, and makeup job alone, in addition to her dancing, and Chi-accent.

Tough choices for supporting actress that year.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2019 8:35 AM

It really was an incredible year for the Supporting Actress category, but Lange was not the most deserving of the win. Everyone knew that she won only because she was not going to win Best Actress for Frances, a performance that would have killed the competition in any other year. But Meryl Streep was absolutely untouchable that year. So I guess you could say that Streep cost Warren the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2019 1:40 PM

Teri Garr was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2019 1:50 PM

James Garner should have received a nod that year from the Academy. Multi layered performance...

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2019 1:56 PM

Truly a wonderful performance in a wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2019 2:09 PM

Garr was bitter for years that Lange being put into SA effectively placed Garr as a distant also-ran. In any event, Warren should have won. I just watched it on TCM and while the first third is thoroughly enjoyable, the rest drags (ha!) on and on. The ending number, with Preston substituting for Andrews, is appalling. “See ya in church!”

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2019 2:15 PM

[quote]The ending number, with Preston substituting for Andrews, is appalling.

You sound fun.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2019 2:21 PM

i love this movie and I cannot find it anywear on DVD or blue ray or digital.

Anyone own it?

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2019 3:46 PM

R15- " See ya in church" is one of the best delivered lines in film history. It wraps up everything that she and Robert Preston's character have in common, and the smartest thing she said in the whole movie. I too think that she deserved an Oscar. That character could have been a nuisance but she gave it a special quality. I wish they had given her another song!

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2019 5:34 PM

I've always wondered if the casting of two Cinderella's was ever brought up between the two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2019 5:46 PM

They screwed up her character in the end by making her a bitter bitch, draining a lot of the fun she’d been up to that point.

She really was a delight in the film.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2019 6:07 PM

One of my favorite movies. And yes, she was fabulous in it. So was James Garner.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2019 6:19 PM

She has another brilliant piece of acting when she is sent away, and Squash puts her on the train, and the camera pans alongside the train car windows. We can't hear her, but see her screaming her way down the aisles.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2019 6:28 PM

Great scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2019 9:38 PM

She is delightful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2019 5:11 AM

Cinderella, I mean, Lesley was robbed of the Oscar. She was brilliant. Funniest goddamn performance ever. I am a huge fan of Jessica Lange. I want her to win each time she's nominated for anything. However, Victor/Victoria was Lesley's year. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2019 5:16 AM

Yes, and all in one shot, R23.

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2019 5:17 AM

The Great Lesley Ann Warren

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2019 5:25 AM

She's now been reduced to a recurring role as Martin Mull's girlfriend on "The Cool Kids."

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2019 1:27 AM

r17 try amazon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 3, 2019 1:55 AM

Cartoonish performance. Lackluster musical numbers. Lousy ending.

by Anonymousreply 30April 3, 2019 2:02 AM

I absolutely love this movie. I watch it whenever I happen to catch it on TV. When it first came out on DVD a friend and I used to smoke a ton of pot and watch it and laugh ourselves sick. Sadly, he has passed away but every time I see V/V it is a pleasant memory of the fun we had watching it over and over.

by Anonymousreply 31April 3, 2019 2:38 AM

It's a perfect film. R30 is clueless and has no taste, or knowledge of film.

by Anonymousreply 32April 3, 2019 2:42 AM

[R30] is right about the musical numbers; in fact they're awful with the exception of Le Jazz Hot.

by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2019 2:58 AM

She took me to a whole new level of depravity!

by Anonymousreply 34April 3, 2019 7:59 PM

I love the way she throws increasingly irritated sidelong glances at King during Julie's first performance.

I love the quizzical expression on her face when she says "What's with the soap?"

I love the way she sings the line "London, Paris, Rome, New York", gritting her teeth and scowling on the word "Paris."

by Anonymousreply 35April 3, 2019 8:25 PM

The single shot scene with Alex Karras at the train station is classic Blake Edwards. The man knew how to set up a gag and make it pay off.

by Anonymousreply 36April 3, 2019 8:53 PM

Underrated.

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2019 3:36 PM

"Just because you can't get it ..... Up to now Pookie, everything's been grand, just grand!"

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2019 3:46 PM

When she is aroused by 𝑷𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒊𝒆, this is what she means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2019 4:35 PM

always thought this movie was too broad and twee

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2019 4:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2019 4:46 PM

I really like this movie, but the latter third does drag a bit. Cutting it by 10-15 minutes would have done wonders for the energy in the last section.

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2019 9:41 PM

Yes, after Lesley delivers her " Lock the doahr " line I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2019 9:53 PM

Lesley Ann Warren was actually the best part of the film for me. I love her in most every film that she appeared in (even Clue and Color of Night). Neither Garner nor Andrews really excited me here (Andrews was awkward except during her musical numbers - that woman has the voice of an angel) although Preston was perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2019 9:54 PM

I love the movie. I thought they ALL OWNED it: Robert Preston, Julie Andrews, Lesley Anne Warren, James Garner, Alex Karras, John Rhys-Davies, and especially Matyelok Gibbs as Andre Cassell's receptionist.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2019 10:08 PM

[quote]"See ya in church" is one of the best delivered lines in film history.

Not to be morbid, but...when the time comes a long, LONG time from now - when they’re rolling the in memoriam montage during the Oscar telecast the year Lesley has shuffled off this mortal coil - I hope they use that line to send her off.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2019 4:52 AM

I don’t recall the line “see ya in church” in that film. I wonder I might have seen a television edit that removed it.

Warren was delicicious in that part, though. I remember her gestures of discomfort when Garner’s character is drawn to Andrews during the first performance of Jazz Hot.

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2019 11:00 AM

R47 she said the line as she is walking away from her first meeting with Robert Preston, on the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2019 4:04 PM

Lesley is one of those people that I hope will live long enough to get an honorary oscar. Ann-Marget too.

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2019 4:21 PM

VictorVictoria is corny and not funny.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2019 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!