Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tim Burton's Dumbo reviews are ROTTEN!

"The new Dumbo is ostentatious and overworked, less a work of imagination than a declaration of how imaginative Burton thinks he is."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2019 11:01 PM

So now he's shat on 3 children's classics, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dark Shadows and Dumbo. 4 if you include Alice in Wonderland, although I personally liked it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2019 5:17 PM

Dark Shadows was a children's show?

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2019 5:39 PM

Yes, children liked it, regardless of whether their parents approved of them watching it.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2019 5:42 PM

I bet it will be decent. It's about a fucking flying elephant. Kids will like it and that's what matters.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2019 5:50 PM

I dunno....it seems as if terrible reviews for mass audience films means they do really well.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2019 6:20 PM

You defend the remake of [italic]Pete’s Dragon[/italic], you enable this.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2019 6:33 PM

The original was one of Disney's most charming pieces of animation. An overblown nearly two-hour Tim Burton remake? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2019 6:45 PM

No one considers Dark Shadows a children's classic just because some kids watched it here or there.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2019 6:50 PM

Not quite sure I would classify Dark Shadows as a children’s show, let alone a classic, but Burton fucked it up so bad that I’ll never see one of his movies again.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2019 6:52 PM

Why are Dumbo's eyes blue? I don't get that part. I look forward to Shazam. Great reviews for that flick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2019 6:58 PM

Tim Burton is an aspie tard.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2019 6:59 PM

Dumbo without the songs, though.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2019 7:06 PM

R1 You forgot Sleepy Hollow and Planet of the Apes.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2019 7:51 PM

A great example of something that should NEVER have had one DIME spent to remake it. I take it there were no jive black crows and no hallucinatory "pink elephants on parade" sequence. The original was perfect. Someone should kick Tim Burton in his tiny nuts!

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2019 7:56 PM

I think Dark Shadows was mostly watched by children and teens. It had bubblegum cards, even.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2019 8:00 PM

Sleepy Hollow's great. Wonderful cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki and a great score by Elfman. Tons of fun actors in it too and a pleasantly subdued performance by Depp.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2019 8:08 PM

This looks boring as shit. It seems like a movie I would fall asleep in. I’m so looking forward to Aladdin and Lion King but not this.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2019 8:11 PM

Does Dumbo even talk in this? Do any of the elephants talk? Does Timothee the Mouse speak? If they don’t then this isn’t Dumbo. Can you imagine making The Lion King with none of the animals talking?

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2019 8:12 PM

I hate remakes, especially live action ones. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2019 8:13 PM

Did Dumbo speak in the original film?

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2019 8:17 PM

People need to stop hiring Tim Burton.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2019 8:28 PM

No, Dumbo doesn't speak in the original.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2019 8:28 PM

Do any of the animals speak in the original?

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2019 8:30 PM

Burton's downfall began with the shitty Mars Attacks - that's when having too much artistic freedom and overblown budgets started getting to his head. He's made a few decent films too since then but it's been well over a decade since his last good live-action film (Sweeney Todd) has been released.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2019 8:38 PM

[quote]Do any of the animals speak in the original?

Timothy the Mouse, the nasty lady elephants, the jive-talkin' crows . . .

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2019 8:39 PM

I love Mars Attacks.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2019 8:41 PM

Mars Attacks is a cult classic.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote] less a work of imagination than a declaration of how imaginative Burton thinks he is.

That describes almost everything Burton's done in the last couple decades.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2019 8:43 PM

So do Timothee the Mouse, the nasty lady elephants and the jive crows talk in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2019 11:48 PM

Apparently Timothy Q. Mouse (the character's actual name) isn't even in Burton's movie. I'm guessing there are no talking animals this time around.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2019 12:07 AM

Most of his "films" have been abominable, including the unbelievably overrated "Edward Scissorhands".

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2019 12:14 AM

I'll be honest. I'll see it for Colin Farrell. Yes, I bet his talent is better showcased in indie movies. Still. For him.

I call it the opposite of boycott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2019 11:13 PM

R32 still a closet case

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2019 11:45 PM

The Disney remake gravy train is about to crash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2019 11:55 PM

Why is Disney releasing 3 major live action classics - Dumbo, Lion King & Alladin - this year? Are they afraid the world is gonna end?

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2019 12:56 AM

Nobody cares about movie critics. This turd will make a gazillion dollars and launch endless sequels.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2019 1:03 AM

A live action remake of Dumbo actually makes sense as the original could use a weency update.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2019 1:10 AM

Tim Burton should be institutionalized. I think that's the only way to keep him from further destroying his reputation.

Dark shadows would've made more money if he had just taken the original camera negative, cut it into 1 inch pieces and sold them as guitar picks.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2019 10:21 AM

Dumbo is doing worse than expected calling Disney’s remake heavy tentpole schedule into question

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2019 8:12 PM

Seems stupid to eliminate the crows, and especially the mouse.

I did like the new Charlie and the chocolate factory, so I will probably watch this.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2019 8:36 PM

Critics are useless, and the masses will flock to stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2019 8:38 PM

Bambi wherefore art thou? Let's see that hunter kick some mama ass!

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2019 8:45 PM

After the trailer that came out 4 months ago, I really wanted to see it. Just the look of it, plus Farrell, Keaton, Devito and Green.

Now they are advertising it with a riff on that M Buffer saying “let’s get ready for dumbo!”, I lost all interest in it.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2019 9:02 PM

[quote]I did like the new Charlie and the chocolate factory

Oh, so YOU'RE the one.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2019 9:04 PM

R42, Burton should have combined the two movies as Bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2019 9:11 PM

R45, you had me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2019 9:35 PM

It's all CGI everyone is on a green screen set. Nothing looks real.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2019 10:27 PM

And he made Dark Shadows as a comedy. A very unfunny comedy starring that yuckfest Johnny Depp. Ruined it for ever having a great scary version it deserved.

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2019 10:28 PM

[quote]ostentatious and overworked, less a work of imagination than a declaration of how imaginative Burton thinks he is.

Imo that's true of every Burton film for the last 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2019 11:42 PM

[quote]So now he's shat on 3 children's classics, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dark Shadows and Dumbo. 4 if you include Alice in Wonderland, although I personally liked it.

Dark Shadows was NOT a children's series. It was a daytime gothic soap opera. Older kids and teens might have watched it, but it sure wasn't meant for kids!

DS was an unintentionally funny soap, with people walking in front of the cameras, the performers forgetting their lines and characters walking into closets instead of out the door. The series was so low budget, the scenes with mistakes were never reshot.

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2019 11:57 PM

Really can't comprehend why Disney chose to remake this dull cartoon, or maybe any of their mostly dull cartoons with talking animals.

by Anonymousreply 51March 30, 2019 12:00 AM

The NY Times DUMBO review was odd, the reviewer seemed to enjoy it, then said it took a dark turn.

Tim Burton has to make everything 'gothic' and downbeat. The producers must have already figured that out before they asked him to make this film.

by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2019 12:12 AM

Yeah well, Dumbo is downbeat to begin with. The title character and his mother endure all manner of indignities throughout the film. Most of Disney's cartoons had a dark side but the bright colors, animation and funny sidekicks were distractions so the kids wouldn't get too scared. I tell ya, I was terrorized when Bambi's mother was shot because "Man was in the forest."

by Anonymousreply 53March 30, 2019 12:53 AM

I didn't mind Dark Shadows. Eva Green was the highlight of that movie.

by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2019 2:16 AM

All I needed to see of the trailer was fucking Danny Devito saying "Whooooooooah!" like he was Macaulay Culkin, or another pre-pubescent child actor, to know I would hate it.

by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2019 2:19 AM

I would like to see it, and I guarantee I will enjoy it. My BF will,. too.

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2019 2:23 AM

Blu-ray in three months.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2019 10:52 AM

This doesn’t make sense. Are his bones hollow like a bird’s? It isn’t physically possible for something as dense as an elephant to fly.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2019 10:55 AM

Saw Dumbo last night. Dreadful. Was asked to fill out a survey afterwards so clearly Disney is concerned. Colin is as handsome as ever but fuck’s sake the movie is a dour, joyless CGI mess. Wish Disney wouldn’t stop shitting on their classics.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2019 12:52 PM

[quote]Eva Green was the highlight of that movie.

She is the highlight of everything's she's in.

[quote]Wish Disney wouldn’t stop shitting on their classics.

Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella were hits. And there was a 2 year gap bewteen each. I don't understand why they are making things in a hurry and releasing three livre action remakes in the same year. Maybe they have inside intel on a meteot decimating earth or something.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2019 3:31 PM

[quote]This doesn’t make sense. Are his bones hollow like a bird’s? It isn’t physically possible for something as dense as an elephant to fly.

He has oversized ears. What's not to understand?

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2019 3:43 PM

Budget: $170 million

Domestic gross as of this morning: $15 million

ehhhh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2019 4:05 PM

I think themain appeal for the audience, with the live action remakes, is the princesses stories - Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast etc. I think Alladin and Mulan will be hits. Oh and probably Lion King, but just because the generation in their 20s and 30s grew up watching it.

If they remake Bambi, it will probably flop too.

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2019 4:31 PM

It's ALL in front of a green screen.

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2019 4:40 PM

I haven't seen Dumbo, nor do I have the desire to, but I agree with r60. I don't understand why they're releasing The Lion King (also a bad idea) less than two months after Aladdin, which comes only two months after Dumbo. They should have scheduled The Lion King for the Fall or better yet, pushed it back to 2020 and let Aladdin be their summer tent-pole this year along with Toy Story 4. Let these films breath a bit and give the audience a rest from getting overly fatigued by them. I also agree with r63 that the princess stories are probably easier to recreate and have more of a built in audience. These live action CGI fests with anthropomorphic characters can seem really sterile and bloodless because they're overly reliant on green screen storytelling and never capture the magic of their animated counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2019 4:48 AM

Does Colin Farrell wear leotards in it?

by Anonymousreply 66March 31, 2019 5:28 AM

[quote]I think themain appeal for the audience, with the live action remakes, is the princesses stories - Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast etc. I think Alladin and Mulan will be hits. Oh and probably Lion King, but just because the generation in their 20s and 30s grew up watching it. If they remake Bambi, it will probably flop too.

Exactly. I’m excited about Aladdin and The Lion King because I grew up with them. I did not grow up with Dumbo and couldn’t care less about that movie. Same with Bambi. But I would be all over a live action The Little Mermaid! 🧜‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 67March 31, 2019 5:33 AM

Also, isn’t this Dumbo story completely different than the cartoon? It isn’t faithful to the source material.

by Anonymousreply 68March 31, 2019 5:35 AM

Dumbo is a CIS non gender lesbian so this is very worrying for those types of movies going forward. Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 69March 31, 2019 5:37 AM

"Casey junior's coming down the track, Casey Junior's back, Casey Junior's back. Time for lemonade and crackerjack"

by Anonymousreply 70March 31, 2019 6:56 AM

Tim Burton's a hack. At least johnny fucking Depp isn't in this one.

by Anonymousreply 71March 31, 2019 6:57 AM

Saw it today. It's definitely a Tim Burton film. It's half an hour too long, the second half, not true to the source material is unnecessary. It has nods to all the songs but the only one that's performed is 'Baby Mine'. Timothy Q Mouse shows up but has nothing to do. The crows are completely absent. There are other elephants but no mean ladies. The film works best when it trusts the source material, which isn't often.

by Anonymousreply 72March 31, 2019 7:17 AM

[Quote] But I would be all over a live action The Little Mermaid! 🧜‍♀️

I thought that was happening.

by Anonymousreply 73March 31, 2019 11:32 AM

It's at #1 with a worldwide gross of $116 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 31, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]At least johnny fucking Depp isn't in this one.

You know he was just itching to put Depp in the role that ultimately went to Farrell

by Anonymousreply 75March 31, 2019 4:31 PM

I dislike Burton's movies for the most part. Charlie and the Chocolate factory and Alice in wonderland were terrible. For strange and Gothic themed movies I prefer Guillermo del Toro. His films are gorgeous and disturbing but don't make my skin crawl in the way that Burton's do.

by Anonymousreply 76March 31, 2019 5:07 PM

Saw it. It's a kid movie. No adult level. It is cute. I was by myself, but the kids in the theater seemed to enjoy it and to be engrossed. Colin Farrell was pretty to look at. Farrell, Green and De Vito do a good job, but it is not the kind of scenario that showcases an actor 's talent.

Acceptable popcorn movie. I wish it got to perform better than Aladdin.

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2019 10:33 PM

I liked it....it was less than what I expected, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. r6...I happened upon Petes Dragon on Netflix and decided to watch it...I never liked the original....I LOVED IT. Different story, but surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2019 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!