Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ellen Corby: why didn't she become a star of the 1st rank?

Beautiful, talented and charismatic, her career stretched from the silent era to the late 1970s, yet she's rarely mentioned in cinematic literature.

Whenever I watch Tomb Raider I imagine her as Lara Croft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2019 6:39 AM

Really? Please contact your shrink asap!

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2019 8:21 AM

I love Elen Corby.

But she was kind of a short, unconventional-looking lesbian with a Froggy voice

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2019 10:37 AM

One of the most successful character actresses in Hollywood, but I'll bite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2019 11:09 AM

Ellen Corby worked for the Hal Roach Studio in the 1930s and worked as a script girl with the Our Gang kids. Is it ironic that both Grandpa and Grandma Walton were gay in real life?

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2019 12:01 PM

R4 I always found that funny about The Waltons too. Will Geer & Ellen Corby are great examples that gay and lesbian actors can play straight with utter conviction.

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2019 12:11 PM

For years Rumer had it that she was Joan Crawford's co-star in the infamous stag film that Joan was in before she became famous. Ultimately, when the footage was found it turned out it was not Corby, but Nedra Volz...

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2019 12:20 PM

The vivacious Miss Mamie Van Doren has always acknowledged Ellen as her inspiration for being a hot GGGMILF (great-great-grandma I'd like to fuck).

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2019 12:21 PM

Rumor has it that George Cukor wanted Beulah Bondi to play Mary Haines, Ellen to play Sylvia Fowler and Elizabeth Patterson to play Crystal Allen in "The Women". When they couldn't get Lucille LaVerne to play Miriam Aarons, they decided to go with non-traditional casting.

by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2019 12:25 PM

Agnes Moorehead hated her.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2019 12:37 PM

Why are ANY of these people?

Silent movies?

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2019 12:43 PM

SHUT YOUR FAT WHORE MOUTH, R10

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Here's a pic from her rarely-seen color test for the role of Mildred Pierce.

Curtiz CLEARLY made a mistake hiring Crawford for the role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 21, 2019 4:28 PM

Being a semi-butch lesbian didn’t help, and she came off as a limp wrist Nellie queen in many of her performances. The combo doesn’t help your career.

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2019 6:31 AM

She preferred Joan Crawford's miserable snatch to mine...

No one disses my twat.

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2019 9:02 AM

R13 = John Travolta

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2019 9:04 AM

OP, have you spent the morning taking refreshments at the Baldwin Sisters ?

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2019 9:45 AM

DaFuq is wrong with you, r10?

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2019 10:09 AM

Ellen and Agnes Moorehead were the two front-runners for the role of Velma in Hush, Hush, but during the first script read-through, Aggie slipped under the table and brought Bette to a heaving, gasping orgasm and the part was hers.

Poor Ellen had to settle for playing one of the nosey, chattering biddies at the end of the film, but she nonetheless made an indelible impression during her brief cameo, prompting talk of a Supporting Oscar nod for less than 3 minute's screen time.

"Jewel Mayhew just went and dropped dead! And just what do you suppose brought it on? It was when she heard what happened here last night!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2019 4:54 AM

R8, I thought he wanted Aline MacMahon for the Mary Haines role.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2019 5:34 AM

Ellen liked the stink fish

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2019 6:12 AM

her face?

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2019 6:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!