Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fresno

I believe it's Fresno's moment to shine.

Her moment in the sun has come. It's time, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2019 8:59 AM

Isn't the crime rate in Fresno horrendously high?

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2019 6:42 PM

Fresno? FresYES!

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2019 6:43 PM

I once made a pitstop there on the way from LA to Yosemite. I had to buy snow chains.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2019 6:45 PM

She's a beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2019 6:49 PM

They already did the mini-series, so there's really not much else to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2019 6:54 PM

It looks like a hellscape.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2019 6:59 PM

"All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey

California dreamin, on such a winter's day..."

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2019 7:04 PM

Moment in the sun: the fuck you talkin' about? It's 43F there right now and mostly cloudy.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2019 7:10 PM

The entire miniseries in one YouTube upload

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2019 7:13 PM

Indistinguishable from Bakersfield, really.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2019 7:32 PM

Honestly, I thought Bakersfield was much more landscaped and manicured than Fresno.

What happened? It’s got a relatively big population with a large metro population (over 1 million), but there are no skyscrapers, no really high class residential districts, nor any really redeeming qualities. Its really very amorphous without any real “center” of activity.

It’s very odd

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2019 7:46 PM

They're really banking on the high speed train. hope it works out for them.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2019 8:22 PM

Fresno is home to the Reel Gay Film Festival. The 6th oldest gay film festival in North America.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2019 8:44 PM

The Dems are really investing a lot in the Central Valley in order to modernize it and make it more progressive.

So far it is working for them since Bakersfield single handedly flipped District 21 to the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2019 8:48 PM

It's the home of raisins.

Whenever you eat a raisin, whisper a quiet thank you to Fresno.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2019 8:50 PM

Say what you will about it, and most Californians do, but the central valley has produced some great authors ⸺ Steinbeck, William Saroyan, Gary Soto, Maxine Hong Kingston.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Fresno is dreary.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2019 9:44 PM

Where dreams go to die.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2019 12:05 AM

I was under the impression that it was a dump?

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2019 12:20 AM

It's surrounded by vast farmlands. I almost choked to death on the fertilizers and other chemicals in the air. The entire Central Valley is polluted like this.

Add the surprisingly high crime rate, lack of culture, and lackluster landscape and you have a candidate for the worst 1 million metro in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2019 12:29 AM

[quote]Say what you will about it, and most Californians do, but the central valley has produced some great authors ⸺ Steinbeck, William Saroyan, Gary Soto, Maxine Hong Kingston.

Steinbeck was from Salinas -- definitely not part of the Central Valley.

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2019 1:10 AM

Six-time Tony winner Audra McDonald grew up in Fresno.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2019 1:12 AM

Fresno has a pretty nice entertainment district called "The Tower" where the Roger Rocka Dinner Theater is and it is where I saw Audra McDonald play Dorothy in "The Wiz". After the performance, the artists stand at the exits and thank the guests and I got McDonald's autograph and told her that when she was a big Broadway star, I would come to see her and show her the Playbill. I got backstage at one of her concerts and she almost cried when I related the story.

Fresno is super hot in the summer and very cold during the winter as well as foggy. The primary industry is agriculture and I suspect in the years to come, the primary crop will be pot. A lot of people from both directions have moved to Fresno for it's affordable housing and fairly good quality of life, comparatively speaking. Still a lot of pollution and crime is bad in certain areas.

Fresno has a lot of smaller towns nearby like Selma or Kingsburg where you can still score a pretty nice house for about 350K and still be within 20 minutes of Fresno and 200 miles to LA.

I personally don't like the bucolic feel of those smaller towns but it's an interesting parallel to Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2019 1:31 AM

Looks bleak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2019 8:57 AM

This looks pretty though.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2019 8:58 AM

Ooops, forgot the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2019 8:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!