Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whitney's Last Album and Tour

What did you make of it? Did anyone see her live then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 5, 2019 3:10 PM

I like this album. I actually listen to it here and there. It was really, really edited and when she performed it in public it was obvious. I think she did one award show and hit it out of the park and then did some morning shows and struggled. The tour was a disaster, I don't think it ever made it to the US.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2019 4:21 PM

I like it too. It doesn't feel too... old, yet it's not desperate in attempting to feel youthful (like some people who I won't mention).

I'd say it's actually her strongest album apart from MLIYL; though she was never really an albums artist.

As for the tour... I've heard horror stories. At least one DLer must've seen her live though. Was she that bad?

Even on the album you can hear her voice has decline -- no more so than Cousin Dionne's though (perhaps that faint praise) and she manages to keep on performing live.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2019 5:40 PM

It's an okay album but her voice was deeper and heavy and no longer as flexible. The tour was a disaster--there are a number of Youtube clips from it, especially from Australia where fans walked out in droves

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2019 7:30 PM

I love the track “Call You Tonight” from this album - I get the sense that Whitney was dealing with substance abuse issues and this album was recorded quickly like MLIYL - The difference being “The Voice” was no longer there to carry her through

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2019 8:37 PM

Beautiful pic of her!!!

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2019 8:48 PM

“For The Lovers” is one of the gem tracks off this album.

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2019 9:35 PM

R5 I think she looks haggard and excessively make-up covered in that pic-- and eyes- no shine at all.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2019 10:12 PM

I actually remember reading some DailyMail stories about how bad the tour was. I’m almost afraid to search YouTube for some videos since her decline was always more sad than campy.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2019 6:22 AM

Does The Miss Warwick Troll have any comment?

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2019 6:26 AM

R7 Considering how bad she looked in her later years (sweaty, stoned, tired and haggard), she doesn't look bad there at all.

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2019 6:39 AM

There were some great tracks on that album and she never failed to deliver an outstanding interpretation even though her voice was raspy and she couldn't hit those highs and lows anymore.

I still find it very sad that she is gone, that she threw away her talent and her life. But with her upbringing, her grifter family, her awful mother and the hypocritical church folks she surrounded herself with, esp after Robyn left her, she never learned any reasonable values in life and she unfortunately wasn't smart enough to figure out what she needed to change in order to get well. It's really tragic that she was such a stupid person.

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2019 6:40 AM

I'm listening A Song for You now. It sounds like the arrangement has been made more uptempo in places to cover the wear in her voice. It's not bad and it seems like such an obvious thing for her to record, but it would've been beautiful fifteen years prior.

I'm thinking she should've just embraced the raspiness a la Tina Turner.

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2019 9:03 AM

I didn't know she went on a European tour with Natalie Cole and Dionne Warwick in 2004 but apparently so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2019 9:06 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2019 10:14 AM

I love "Nothin' But Love" but her vocal decline was fully evident. This song would have been so sassy and ebullient if she had her former voice. It would have become her new anthem.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2019 2:40 PM

She looks good but it doesn't look like her. She does have dead eyes. The false teeth also kind of reshaped her face. Not in a disfiguring way, just in a looks-like-a-different-person way.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2019 2:44 PM

I could swear that, during her televised interview with Oprah when that last album came out, there were points where I could see she didn't have any upper teeth in the back

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2019 2:45 PM

Could she have gotten her voice back with vocal training, or was there no hope for it?

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2019 2:54 PM

On her very last tour, I had front row tickets for Paris, a show she cancelled the morning of.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2019 3:02 PM

I remember watching some clip,it might have been on a morning show,and wanting to weep at how awful she sounded. She kept trying to get the audience to sing along because it was obvious her voice was shredded.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2019 3:17 PM

R1 I liked the album too. Her hoarse vocals couldn’t be ignored but when you hear what the producers on the album said after her death it’s amazing she got any of her range back.

Menothols are the worst. Mixed with weed you’re doing a number on your lungs and heart. You can’t live that way for very long. It has a self life. Add in coke and it’s a wonder she didn’t have a heart attack years before.

The awards show was at night and I still think that’s why she did better that the AM shows. Whitney had terrible stage fright and depended on benzos like Xanax, klonopin and Valium to preform live. This is (just) one reason filming on The Preachers Wife went in to April or May! She couldn’t sing before 10 am.

Whitney couldn’t just get up and sing. She had to “get her head right” to do it. Sadly that meant getting loaded.

Anyone think Robin would have saved her? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2019 3:39 PM

R18. This guy had worked with her before. I apologize in advance for it being a Nancy Grace clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2019 3:43 PM

[R18] Not sure how much hope there would have been for her voice - the rumours of her emphysema (coming out of her disastrous performances on this last tour) were confirmed by the coroner's report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2019 3:50 PM

One thing I did notice is that not long before her death she looked bloated around the midsection; but she was still slim everywhere else. Menopause? Although that would probably have little impact next to twenty Newports a day plus whatever else.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2019 3:51 PM

was she smoking that much?

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2019 3:58 PM

She smoked cigarettes regularly on BEING BOBBY BROWN.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2019 4:06 PM

From Wikipedia:

[quote]Houston's promoter commented that Houston smokes cigarettes and stated "It is what it is. She's comfortable with the show she's performing. She knows she's not hitting every note like she used to. But it's value for money; it's Whitney Houston warts and all." Houston received a similar response during her concert at the Forum Copenhagen. Some spectators stated the performance was not up to par on what they had expected; others stated that the singer is a legend, has been on the music scene for 25 years at the time, and considering what she had been through, the performance was fine. Having grossed over $36 million, the tour itself was a financial success; however, the promoter, Andrew McManus, lost $2 million bringing her to Australia.

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2019 4:07 PM

Love this woman at 0:17 though. "Couldn't entertain a dead to be honest"

Oh, Australians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2019 4:13 PM

The pic on that album shows a lot. Vacant eyes and her mouth looks like she's holding back tears. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2019 4:16 PM

Can't say I was ever the biggest fan of Whitney. Undoubtedly she had a great voice but, for me, very little taste in the music she chose to waste it on. It was sad that she became hostage to a back catalogue of overblown ballads she could no longer deliver. I actually like her cracked voice on the last album. She still had the musical chops to be able to work with it. Musically I think she could have had a very rich -and maybe more interesting - career ahead even with those limitations. .Unfortunately she was stuck trying and failing to hit those fucking notes on I Will Always Love You. Those ballads did her in as much as the crack.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2019 6:18 PM

“My soprano friend won’t come out and say hello tonight.”

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2019 9:31 PM

This video is all that has to be said about her last tour and it is heartbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2019 9:43 PM

Not only did Whitney smoke, but she smoked Newports which are just the worst. Of course all cigarettes are bad for you, but Newports will fuck you up just a little bit faster because they're so strong and harsh.

by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2019 11:18 PM

It goes to show that great singers should never smoke or do drugs...very sad.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2019 11:26 PM

Didn't her Australian fans file a class action lawsuit claiming fraud since she charged $$$$ for tickets and didn't sing a note? Sad that that is how she went out and how her live performances will be remembered.

Agree that the look on her face on her album cover is pretty weird. She looks like she's stifling a laugh after letting out a fart. She certainly doesn't look joyful.

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2019 11:29 PM

I’m surprised that she doesn’t have unreleased music in a vault that her family can release and continue to exploit her fame.

Michael Jackson released a whole CD of songs that never made the cut for an album. There was only one good song on that CD but at least we had more MJ songs

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2019 11:32 PM

Whitney didn't look like herself at all on that album cover. Her voice was raspy and she sounded terrible. She should have retired a long time ago and told her leech family to go get jobs.

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2019 11:37 PM

I did like “I look up to you”. I thought that song was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2019 11:42 PM

I loved that album and, although she sounded nothing like she used to, I was so happy seeing her rise like a phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2019 11:55 PM

R17 She worse dentures. The autopsy noted that 11 of her front teeth were missing. And she had a hole inside her nose. Both probably from her heavy cocaine use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2019 11:55 PM

R36 The estate is working on a “Rareties” album of previously unreleased music - Not sure what time timeframe is for its release

by Anonymousreply 41February 1, 2019 12:09 AM

R30 nails it--she was a victim of her back catalog of hit ballads. With the voice she had near the end she was best suited to sing bluesy Billie Holliday type material, not big inspirational ballads, but would her fanbase have accepted Whitney singing such songs?

by Anonymousreply 42February 1, 2019 12:25 AM

A soundalike recorded at least some of the songs on those posthumous Michael Jackson records. I don’t think that they could get away with something like that for Whitney because if they could, they would.

by Anonymousreply 43February 1, 2019 12:28 AM

Like I Never Left and Nothin' But Love were the two best songs on the album. I don't know why they released that shitty Million Dollar Bill song. I think this belongs in the Career Lows thread.

by Anonymousreply 44February 1, 2019 12:33 AM

I liked this one. If she could have gotten her shit together, she could have made her ruined voice work for her kind of like Marianne Faithfull did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 1, 2019 12:40 AM

Kathy Griffin used to say in her act that Whitney’s wig was crooked on her Oprah ‘comeback’ interview. “Where were her gays?” she’d say.

by Anonymousreply 46February 1, 2019 12:51 AM

Clive forced her to go on the tour. Whitney was working with a vocal coach and the vocal coach had specifically stated that she needed another year of intensive vocal training to get her voice up to maintain the rigors of a tour, and not even a huge tour at that. The high notes weren't a priority. They were working on getting a stronger mid range, which the coach claimed was improving. But Clive refused and wanted an immediate tour to promote the album. It was a huge mistake. There were supposed to be US dates, but that was jettisoned after the negative barrage of press.

The Australian audiences were classless . Aretha Franklin even said she was appalled at how rude they were to Whitney. Her voice had been in decline for several years. To go and expect her to hit those recorded notes was idiotic The Europeans were much more understanding and she even broke down one night after a fan held up a poster saying something along the lines of "We're rooting for you".

[quote]It's really tragic that she was such a stupid person.

Oh. is this Charlie again, who's always bitching and trying to shame posters whenever anyone criticizes his Queen Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 47February 1, 2019 1:04 AM

Clive did not want her to go on tour. He knew her voice wouldn't hold up. It was Pat and Gary that needed her to go on tour so they could get their cut of the profits.

by Anonymousreply 48February 1, 2019 1:05 AM

An Australian fan thought they came up with the ultimate burn by saying, "She couldn't entertain a dead rat!" No one could entertain a dead rat, it's dead!

by Anonymousreply 49February 1, 2019 1:06 AM

I loved Whitney and she was one of the most beautiful women in music. I wish I had, had the opportunity to see her perform even if it had been at her lowest ebb. Australian audiences have a reputation for being cunts to singers, especially if they are on a comeback. I would NEVER send someone to tour in Australia unless they are up to their previous standards.

by Anonymousreply 50February 1, 2019 1:09 AM

I am seriously suspicious of Nick Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2019 1:09 AM

Whitney charged top dollar to hear grr sing but instead sputtered and barked onstage and you’re blaming the audience for being miffed at that? Only on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2019 1:10 AM

Whenever I hear "Didn't Know My Own Strength" or "I Look to You" and hear the absolute wreck her voice had become, it makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 53February 1, 2019 1:15 AM

Makes me sad too.

by Anonymousreply 54February 1, 2019 1:17 AM

R52 I was only pointing out that the woman's burn was an epic fail.

by Anonymousreply 55February 1, 2019 1:23 AM

She probably needed the money for drugs and for her grifter family. That's why she went on tour. Clive wanted to make some money off her too while she was still be able to be his cash cow.

No I am not a Streisand fan, at all, R47. I just makes me angry and sad that she threw her life away.

by Anonymousreply 56February 1, 2019 2:31 AM

At what point did Whitney Houston's weight gain start?

by Anonymousreply 57February 1, 2019 2:57 AM

The jazzy staff would have really suited her. I keep hoping there are hidden recordings somewhere but it’s a known fact she hated studio work and preferred singing for a live audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 1, 2019 3:13 AM

Too bad she had no stage presence. And a membership to a rhythmless nation.

by Anonymousreply 59February 1, 2019 4:20 AM

I think Cissy Houston pushed her daughter into show business. I think Whitney was pushed by a lot of people.

I remember the infamous Diane Sawyer interview where Whitney said the only thing she can't handle was "being caught in a mold I can't get out of."

That interview was painful but revealed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2019 4:55 AM

Her "Stormy Weather" is certainly Whitney's style, although a mess. Why not just sing it without all that vocal madness, it totally obscures the song!

by Anonymousreply 61February 1, 2019 4:58 AM

Yes, the autopsy report states that she had upper false teeth but those were implants. Can you imagine any singer opting for dentures over implants, c'mon.

by Anonymousreply 62February 1, 2019 5:14 AM

I remember the Australian tour was all over the media (here in Oz) when it happened.

However, Australian audiences can be quite bitchy/ignorant. I remember there was a similar media uproar soon after, with a Britney Spears tour. Audiences were shocked that it appeared she mimed. How fucking stupid do you have to be, to pay to see Britney and then be surprised it wasn't completely live.

I'm Australian, but MY GOD, Australians can be judgemental cunts.

by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2019 8:38 AM

Whitney, to her credit, refuded to mime to the end. Even after it became the industry’s default.

by Anonymousreply 64February 1, 2019 10:59 AM

She needed laser vocal surgery (but instead she went to hack vocal coach gary catona) and then should have gone to a speech and voice therapist that could of taught her to use her voice in a way that could have protected her voice for years.

by Anonymousreply 65February 1, 2019 11:12 AM

First time people started noticing that Houston might have a problem. She goes from dry to sweating profusely all in a few minutes singing while seated. The voice is there bit still ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 1, 2019 12:01 PM

I remember during one ofnher worst episodes when she was singing disastrously, not showing up to places or showing up late, looking messy etc, Clive had a birthday bash and commanded Whitney perform and commanded she be on time. Whitney has no choice but to do as she was told, and Clive sat self satisfied with his arms folded as she performed. At the time he really looked like he was her pimp, but poor Whitney was powerless to this white man. She probably got high off her ass afterwards to cover her pain.

by Anonymousreply 67February 1, 2019 12:13 PM

[quote] Clive forced her to go on the tour. Whitney was working with a vocal coach and the vocal coach had specifically stated that she needed another year of intensive vocal training to get her voice up to maintain the rigors of a tour, and not even a huge tour at that. The high notes weren't a priority. They were working on getting a stronger mid range, which the coach claimed was improving. But Clive refused and wanted an immediate tour to promote the album. It was a huge mistake. There were supposed to be US dates, but that was jettisoned after the negative barrage of press.

Clive ADAMANTLY opposed the tour and tried unsuccessfully to get her to cancel it. Her greedy family -- the ones who made last year's "Whitney" documentary -- insisted she tour so she could support her entire extended family of do-nothings.

by Anonymousreply 68February 1, 2019 12:24 PM

I will never understand why Whitney just didn't put her foot down and tell everybody who was leeching off of her to FUCK OFF. She had no legal obligation to any of them. Bobby Brown's entire family were such parasites - they kept coming and going from Whitney's house, living there whenever they felt like it. None of them worked. I cannot for the life of me understand how Whitney put up with all of that shit, I wouldn't have been able to tolerate it for five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 69February 1, 2019 1:00 PM

I was backstage when she arrived at the venue for a show on her last European tour....I am a year older than Whitney but she looked like she could be my grandmother....and she did have the belly bloat.....the decline from the first time I saw her in person during the Bodyguard era in 1993 to 2010 was startling....I was stunned that no one could help her...Bobby K was there as well smoking cigarettes on the loading dock....a complete tragedy....I didn’t stay for the show.

by Anonymousreply 70February 1, 2019 1:28 PM

The album is a bit overproduced (but I understand them putting all the FX on her vocals), with some really good tracks in there. And I actually quite like 'Million Dollar Bill', it's an age appropriate 'bop' and the video was pretty cool. Most of her videos were so cheesy but the setting and twilight colour palette worked.

But this whole period was so rushed, and she was exhausted. They didn't give her time to recover her vocal range and tone, rehearsals were limited, and the amount of press she had to do for the album (which was stitched together quite quickly by comparison) was insane. She had never done such a big junket, not even for The Bodyguard. By the time the tour had come around she had once again increased her dosage of all her various vices (coke, cigarettes, mescalin, etc.) and it showed on the tour.

HOWEVER, in the few years after she was able to sing at a level closer to her standard. Her version of "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" from the Sparkle movie remake was very effective and muscular. And this performance at Bobby's mother's funeral is truly touching. Like her good friend and collaborator Faith Evans, there's no reason she couldn't have made the raspier voice work for her on future recordings.

I will never forgive that criminal Nick Gordon, nor the Houston family, nor Brandy for what they did that night she died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 1, 2019 1:29 PM

Thank God Whitney's not alive to be performing in Australia now. It's so hot there right now. She'd be sweating like a whore in church.

by Anonymousreply 72February 1, 2019 2:34 PM

[quote]Like her good friend and collaborator Faith Evans, there's no reason she couldn't have made the raspier voice work for her on future recordings.

I think she could've made it work on future recordings; but trying to sing her back catalogue was near impossible. It was comprised of all those big ballads. I still think the album itself is good. It's the tour that was a mistake. Which makes you wonder why she did it. (Or who told her to). It she had lived I do think she could've still gone on to do *something*. Maybe try to do some blues-y Natalie Cole-esque slow stuff and try to be like an modern Donna Summer-esque disco queen and do some more forgiving uptempto stuff.

And she did do SPARKLE, and there was supposedly a sequel to WAITING TO EXHALE in the works in 2011, I remember. Hopefully, she wouldn't be reduced to Ryan Murphy.

I wonder if she was resistant to lip-synching? If she was I wonder how she felt about Autotune. There's quite a bit on her last album so maybe not. Or maybe she wasn't in control of production.

by Anonymousreply 73February 1, 2019 2:42 PM

I watched bits from a 1989 concert of Dionne Warwick's on YouTube last week. Her voice seemed totally shot even then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 1, 2019 2:45 PM

[quote] I still think the album itself is good. It's the tour that was a mistake. Which makes you wonder why she did it. (Or who told her to). It she had lived I do think she could've still gone on to do *something*. Maybe try to do some blues-y Natalie Cole-esque slow stuff and try to be like an modern Donna Summer-esque disco queen and do some more forgiving uptempto stuff.

$$$$$. She was broke and she needed money to support her family/entourage/hangers-on. She was not a songwriter so she received no royalties from airplay or sales.

Truth is she didn't have the vocal technique or interpretive skills to segue into a jazzy chanteuse like Natalie or a thunderous disco diva like Donna. Whitney's voice was uniquely suited for bellowing melismatic pop ballads. She had an extraordinary vocal instrument but never spent much time learning vocal technique or how to interpret lyrics. Aretha was masterful at this. Even after her voice was diminished she could still deliver with whatever voice was at her disposal on any given day.

by Anonymousreply 75February 1, 2019 5:49 PM

R75 Recording artists do receive royalties from sales, but not from airplay.

by Anonymousreply 76February 1, 2019 5:53 PM

Some semi-occluded exercises and resonant vocal thearpy may have helped her get her tone back and gain a better technique but without surgical intervention she would never get her range back. Celine dion had to stop speaking and singing for a full year to keep the surgicals knife at bay something whitney would of never done.

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2019 6:18 PM

She never would have stopped the cigs or drugs, so there was no hope for her voice.

by Anonymousreply 78February 1, 2019 7:03 PM

Wasn't she getting steroids injected into her larynx or something at some point?

by Anonymousreply 79February 1, 2019 7:12 PM

Whitney Houston was forced into becoming a celebrity and felt she had no choice in the matter. She seemed to live in deep fear of her mother.

by Anonymousreply 80February 1, 2019 7:21 PM

Whitney's mother was also living vicariously through her, because Cissy never had a big singing career. Whitney had the career that Cissy always wanted.

by Anonymousreply 81February 1, 2019 7:40 PM

Her mother was and is a raving bitch. I am sure she was verbally abusive. She knew Whitney was gay and basically told her she would never speak to her again if she ever spoke of it. Even on Oprah, she basically admitted it in her own fucked up way. A bitch who ruined her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2019 7:41 PM

I couldn't believe that Oprah interview. Cissy came right out and said she disapproved of Whitney's sexuality and couldn't handle it. BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2019 7:45 PM

The recent Whitney Documentary said the tour was because she was broke. She had so many family members who leached off her money

by Anonymousreply 84February 1, 2019 8:27 PM

In an interview she did with Clive she said she always wanted to do a duet with Tony Bennett. She would have been able to pull off jazzy numbers, no doubt. She knew how to interpret lyrics. Anybody who saw her live knows this. Clive just didn't want to do it.

by Anonymousreply 85February 1, 2019 8:33 PM

Whitney never worked on her craft. She never had vocal training and how to take care of her voice. She just wanted to party. A largely wasted talent.

by Anonymousreply 86February 1, 2019 8:40 PM

Well, that was definitely the best time to see her live. Now? Not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 1, 2019 9:12 PM

A friend of mine saw her during one of her big tours in the late 80s and said that she was really boring on stage. Just stood there and sang, and the show had her doing a number of slow ballads in a row. My friend fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 88February 1, 2019 10:38 PM

Well, she could barely dance so what else was she supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 89February 1, 2019 10:40 PM

Interesting that she had no dance moves

by Anonymousreply 90February 1, 2019 10:42 PM

R90 I don't think Houston ever wanted to be a performer or a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 91February 2, 2019 12:08 AM

I remember reading an interview with Whitney Houston. Houston was denying the rumors about she and Robyn.

At one point Houston said, "My mother loves gays. She never cared if a person was gay or straight."

We now know that Cissy Houston was a "It's fine if you're gay but I would never accept gayness in one of my children" type of "ally".

I think Whitney Houston was describing what she WISHED her mother's attitude toward sexuality was. On one hand Houston is denying her own sexuality while saying what she wished her mother would've said to her. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 92February 2, 2019 12:15 AM

I saw her on her My Love Is Your Love tour and she was amazing. She was a born live singer and performer. She mesmerized the whole arena.

I think she loved singing for people, she has tjatnin common with Diana Ross. They just love their audience. Some singers come to sing for you, others (Streisand) expect their audience to come hear them sing. Big difference!

With Whitney it was just a lot harder because she didn't have any other income than touring and her grifter family, all the hangers on and her drug habit all wanted and needed the money. She was not a smart business woman. What a waste of life.

by Anonymousreply 93February 2, 2019 7:49 AM

Given the conflicting reports on this thread, who was really behind the tour? Clive Davis, Whitney’s family, or Whitney herself?

by Anonymousreply 94February 2, 2019 8:06 AM

I loved Whitney's voice and went through the 80s with her. I guess if you have nothing else to watch, you can check out the 2018 documentary, but be warned that her family was deeply involved in the production. However, it sheds some interesting insights, one of them had her admitting she was molested as a child by Dee Dee Warwick. Hence her confusion with her sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 95February 2, 2019 8:21 AM

I vaguely remember her comeback, or at least the time around then. There was a lot of goodwill floating around. People wanted her to triumph. But within a year it became clear that she still had issues.

Something else I noticed: she so often seemed out of breath on stage. I dread to think how long she'd last on a treadmill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 2, 2019 10:08 AM

'I Look to You', 'I Didn't Know My Own Strength', 'Million Dollar Bill', and 'Nothin' But Love' are all good. That material is much better than anything on her 2002 album.

by Anonymousreply 97February 2, 2019 10:09 AM

I remember being so angry at Oprah.

I tuned in to see Mackenzie Phillips talk to Oprah about her book in which she carried on a sexual relationship with her father. Oprah seemed unsupportive, and at times downright hostile towards Phillips. She also talked about her past drug problems, and Oprah seemed dubious that she was clean, even though she seemed fine.

WELL, a few days later Whitney did her comeback interview with Oprah. Oprah was all smiles, and very supportive. Whitney absurdly claimed to be off drugs, when it was very clear to me she wasn't. She seemed as fucked up and scattered as she did with Diane Sawyer. Oprah seemed to buy EVERY word, and seemed to ignore the Whitney ever had a problem to begin with.

Made me lose respect for O.

by Anonymousreply 98February 2, 2019 10:29 AM

Is this the one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 2, 2019 10:42 AM

Yes, that's the interview. Wendy Williams would later say she didn't believe she was clean during it. And someone (was is Kathy Griffin) made a joke about her wig being crooked.

by Anonymousreply 100February 2, 2019 10:57 AM

[quote]I saw her on her My Love Is Your Love tour and she was amazing. She was a born live singer and performer. She mesmerized the whole arena.

Whitney was indeed one of the best live performers in pop history. Proof r88 has no clue what he’s talking about. Whitney was no dancer but she was extremely charismatic, effortlessly dramatic and with unparalleled stage presence. A diva, in the true sense of the word, before it got co-opted by every female in the pop industry.

Her wardrobe by D&G for the My Love is Your Love tour was absolutely fabulous. And she brought it live in on off nights for the voice. Whitney is the only singer who could turn a bland Diane Warren song like this into a vocal and visual spectacle. All with no dancing or special effects.

I love when she drops her handkerchief mid-song here.She has the German audience totally eating from the palm of her hand and they’re going nuts, all just from her vocals and gestures. So no, r88. You have no friend that slept during a Whitney Houston concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 2, 2019 11:00 AM

[quote]However, Australian audiences can be quite bitchy/ignorant. I remember there was a similar media uproar soon after, with a Britney Spears tour. Audiences were shocked that it appeared she mimed. How fucking stupid do you have to be, to pay to see Britney and then be surprised it wasn't completely live.

[quote]Whitney, to her credit, refuded to mime to the end. Even after it became the industry’s default.

Should she have mimed? Lots of singers do it. Maybe because she was The Voice and had no dance moves she felt she couldn't. Her thing was you went to hear her sing, not to see a circus with her in it.

by Anonymousreply 102February 2, 2019 11:11 AM

Proof R101 has no idea what he's talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 2, 2019 1:19 PM

I do indeed have (or had, as this was 30 years ago) a friend who fell asleep during a Whitney Houston concert. Just because you can't get enough of her doesn't mean everyone found her mesmerizing. And she COULDN'T dance for shit.

by Anonymousreply 104February 2, 2019 1:22 PM

Well R98, what do Whitney and O have in common?

I’ll wait..

and PS, O never tears down fellow celebrities that have money and A list status. She’s like Whoopi and Ellen. To them it’s an exclusive club and they support each other. Phillips was a nasty white woman with no money, to O.

by Anonymousreply 105February 2, 2019 1:23 PM

Her decreased range and breath control are sadly in evidence here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 2, 2019 1:34 PM

This is always good for a laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 2, 2019 1:41 PM

[quote]And she COULDN'T dance for shit.

She didn’t to. She was the greatest singer of her generation. And in good company with everyone from Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday to Aretha Franklin. None who could dance. They are singers not dancers. Madonna and Janet Jackson are not singers.

by Anonymousreply 108February 2, 2019 1:51 PM

^*she didn’t need to.

by Anonymousreply 109February 2, 2019 1:52 PM

Whitney was lucky she had any career at all after the debacle of Being Bobby Brown and her horrendous behaviour on there.

by Anonymousreply 110February 2, 2019 2:12 PM

Didn't Oprah show her clips of herself BBB in her interview and she had to watch them in shame.

Or did that never happen and I'm misremembering?

by Anonymousreply 111February 2, 2019 3:24 PM

R108, was she supposed to just stand there in an evening gown during How Will I Know, I Wanna Dance With Somebody and I'm Your Baby Tonight?

by Anonymousreply 112February 2, 2019 7:47 PM

This one, too r107.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 2, 2019 8:04 PM

Trainwreck television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 2, 2019 8:04 PM

R105 I noticed years ago that Oprah treated celebrities different depending on their status. I really don't think it had anything to do with race, it really depends on how much of a "star" they are or if Oprah is, herself, a fan. The Mackenzie Phillips interview problem might have been that Oprah is a Mamas and Papas fan and didn't want to believe what Mackenzie was saying.

by Anonymousreply 115February 3, 2019 1:33 AM

I thought Whitney was the most fabulous and sophisticated diva, like a younger Miss Ross but with better voice so I was shocked to see her being total ghetto trash on that reality show.

I was still rooting for her when she attempted her comeback , though.

by Anonymousreply 116February 3, 2019 2:36 AM

r115 Whitney was always straight up hood, but it was able to be kept under wraps in public for years. When the drug problem became hopeless, the real Whitney came out.

by Anonymousreply 117February 3, 2019 3:01 AM

Among the best concerts I’ve ever been was Whitney’s. She had a greater voice than was evident in her radio songs. Plus, it had amazing resonance, emotion, and flexibility.

She was able to take songs we heard endlessly on the radio and mold them into artistic masterpieces.

She couldn’t dance— she’s sort of rock her body from side to side but who cares??!!

by Anonymousreply 118February 3, 2019 3:37 AM

I remember seeing a video from that tour. It was entitled something like “Whitney Houston cannot sing at all.”

by Anonymousreply 119February 3, 2019 3:40 AM

Whitney did not have a big vocal range. She had 2.5 octaves at most.

Mariah and Ariana have 5 octaves, twice the range that Whitney had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 3, 2019 3:58 AM

The "Million Dollar Bill" album version sucked but the remixes are fabulous. In fact, TWIRLING to this one is what's keeping me warm on this cold ass night!

by Anonymousreply 121February 3, 2019 4:14 AM

This one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 3, 2019 4:18 AM

She was called the voice for a reason and until now no one can sing like her. She was a stupid woman.

by Anonymousreply 123February 3, 2019 4:32 AM

Whitney sang circles around Mariah on stage.

by Anonymousreply 124February 3, 2019 5:09 AM

Whiney could easily outsing the other singer in the video despite the fact that her voice had already significantly declined

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 3, 2019 5:36 AM

[quote]An Australian fan thought they came up with the ultimate burn by saying, "She couldn't entertain a dead rat!" No one could entertain a dead rat, it's dead!

No that’s not the point of the burn. The point is that a dead rat is expecting nothing, because not only is it a rat, it’s DEAD. But Whitney couldn’t even meet that low threshold, and the dead rat would still manage to be upset, a dead rat though it is.

by Anonymousreply 126February 3, 2019 5:50 AM

Best thing she ever did.

She’s actually speaking to me here, not posing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 3, 2019 6:09 AM

R126 But how could it expect nothing if it’s Dead?

by Anonymousreply 128February 3, 2019 7:14 AM

its a dumb analogy.

by Anonymousreply 129February 3, 2019 12:20 PM

When Whitney sang, we felt something. Her voice was naturally full of emotion.

Mariah has a lovely, multi-octave voice but there isn’t natural emotion in it. Plus she’s an awe full live performer, with her hand going up and down as she sings.

by Anonymousreply 130February 3, 2019 12:39 PM

R115 yeah O was just inexplicably hostile and dubious of Phillips' story.

I wondered at the time if Michelle Phillips called Oprah, and told her her step-daugher was a liar.

by Anonymousreply 131February 3, 2019 9:13 PM

Rachel Kempson is in Bosom Friends. That one resonates with anyone who has shared a house. Also good to see Rachel get a meaty part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 4, 2019 7:22 AM

^ wrong thread. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 133February 4, 2019 7:23 AM

I have little interest in ghetto junkie whores

by Anonymousreply 134February 4, 2019 7:27 AM

I don't think all those awful videos are one bad night either. Must be tough to have to try to negotiate your way around I Will Always Love You night after night.

by Anonymousreply 135February 5, 2019 2:24 PM

I need to know what Brandy did!!!

by Anonymousreply 136February 5, 2019 3:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!