Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are Greenlanders so guarded?

As someone on the autism spectrum, I've recently come to the realization that moving to Greenland was probably the biggest mistake of my life. I've been fortunate enough to live all around the world, and even though human interaction has always been a struggle, I've always managed to figure it out somehow and make things work within my capabilities and limitations. Until I came to Greenland. These people squat on North American land without considering themselves part of the continent, and they consider themselves more European even though they are not allowed to be their own country there. The worst of both worlds. I'm done trying to figure out how to deal with them, but I'm curious as to why they are the way they are. Any insights would be appreciated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2019 8:14 PM

They're a part of Denmark, no?

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2019 5:20 PM

OP, all I know is that there is a long history there involving Norwegians and Danes, and the indigenous Inuit people. All three of those groups probably don't show you their emotion very much on their faces. They are quiet and reserved people. They are dealing with long winters, and short days with little sun. But they are strong and have a deep sense of personal determination, which is something to admire. I also think they have a very good forthrightness, they will communicate with you clearly when necessary. When you are messing something up, they will tell you and help you and correct you. Does that help at all?

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2019 5:27 PM

It's colder than Canada up there. That must explain why their population is less than 60,000.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2019 5:51 PM

Greenland is an autonomous constituent country of the Kingdom of Denmark between the Arctic and Atlantic oceans, east of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. Though physiographically a part of the continent of North America, Greenland has been politically and culturally associated with Europe (specifically Norway and Denmark, the colonial powers, as well as the nearby island of Iceland) for more than a millennium. The majority of its residents are Inuit, whose ancestors began migrating from the Canadian mainland in the 13th century, gradually settling across the island.

Greenland is the world's largest island. Australia and Antarctica (both larger) are generally considered to be continental landmasses rather than islands. Three-quarters of Greenland is covered by the only permanent ice sheet outside Antarctica. With a population of about 55,877 (2018), it is the least densely populated territory in the world. About a third of the population live in Nuuk, the capital and largest city. The Arctic Umiaq Line ferry acts as a lifeline for western Greenland, connecting the various cities and settlements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2019 6:39 PM

Are there any good gay bars up there?

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2019 6:45 PM

Because if they aren't, OP, they escape.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2019 6:50 PM

They have some of the best gay fashion, R5. Walrus skin chaps. Polar bear fur speedos.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2019 6:51 PM

1/10

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2019 6:54 PM

The capital - there's no [italic]there[/italic] there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2019 6:55 PM

"squat on North American land"

Your tone deafness suggests is not going to get you far with tight knitted island folk. You should not be expectant that everyone will suddenly get their party hats on and put on street parties because you have arrived, just be and people will gradually open up to you.

How do I know? I've lived on an island that was just 7x5 miles with a population of 72 people...

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2019 7:02 PM

Greenlanders have a lot in common with Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2019 7:07 PM

Do they speak in complete gibberish?

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2019 9:05 PM

They look like Eskimos.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2019 9:20 PM

I hope there’s internet?

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2019 9:38 PM

Greenland is a prime place for gay saunas. I hope they are pursuing this opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2019 9:40 PM

huge cocks, natural bushes

by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2019 12:11 PM

Like the First Peoples of Canada and Australia, Greenlanders live lives of immiseration and desperation. They're the exception to the whole "Happiest Nation on Earth" myth of the Danes.

by Anonymousreply 17January 28, 2019 12:51 PM

Fun fact: Hunky Danish actor Nicholai Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones) is married to a former Miss Greenland and singer/actress Nukaaka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 28, 2019 1:00 PM

Why are Greenlanders often Lesbian Canadian expats?

by Anonymousreply 19January 28, 2019 2:42 PM

Greenland is actually quite beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 28, 2019 3:52 PM

It's also one of the few places on Earth where these creatures live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 28, 2019 3:53 PM

Are you in Thule, OP? Maybe the AFB? What brought you to Greenland?

I had a coworker who was stationed at the AFB for several years. She loved it there; as a woman she was in high demand for dinner dates and parties. Plus, of course, she had her pick of male officers for "downtime" affairs.

by Anonymousreply 22January 28, 2019 5:27 PM

Greenland is said to have the most depressed population in the world.

by Anonymousreply 23January 28, 2019 5:48 PM

This is the only guy on Grindr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 28, 2019 5:59 PM

They are lucky they get to have DL favorite Queen Margrethe "Queen Daisy" as their Head of State. She is very cool.

by Anonymousreply 25January 28, 2019 6:16 PM

There's a cute young eskimo guy on chaturbate. Looks like he hasn't broadcasted in a while but let's hope he does again soon because he's very fun to talk with and has a big fat uncut schlong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 28, 2019 7:16 PM

You seem like a white Christian missionary, OP. Maybe it's your racist attitude that keeps them from wanting to know you?

by Anonymousreply 27January 28, 2019 7:59 PM

“They squat on North American land”? You are too stupid for life.

by Anonymousreply 28January 28, 2019 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!