Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just bought tickets to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen!

I’m so excited! They are showing it all over the country this week for the 80th anniversary. The same company is showing several other classic movies this year.

[quote]“The Wizard of Oz” is the first title in Fathom’s yearlong “TCM Big Screen Classics” series. As reported by Variety last month, other titles screening this year include “My Fair Lady,” “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Ben-Hur,” “True Grit,” “Steel Magnolias,” “Field of Dreams,” “Glory,” “Hello, Dolly!,” “Lawrence of Arabia,” “The Shawshank Redemption,” “Alien,” “The Godfather Part II,” and “When Harry Met Sally.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2019 3:55 PM

I never made it through this movie. Not once. And, good Christ, I tried.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2019 3:27 PM

Can anyone fond that hilarious blurb in an old television giuse that started off something like, "Brain-damage farm girl kills the first person she meets is strange land with demented accomplices."

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2019 3:34 PM

Have you read this bizarre New Yorker review? You’d think it’s the worst movie ever made, not arguably the greatest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2019 3:36 PM

R2 It was: “Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2019 3:37 PM

I saw it in a movie theater about 15 years ago. The aspect ratio of the movie is the same as an old tv show... like almost perfectly square. It’s weird watching a movie like that in a cinema.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2019 3:37 PM

Saw it in 3D on the big screen. Next.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2019 3:39 PM

r3, as every DL'er knows all too well, contrarians get all the attention. Anyone can make reasonable comments so they're boring.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2019 3:41 PM

R7 But to suggest the movie lacks imagination...just incredible. I honestly can’t believe The New Yorker would print that. The only way to possibly consider it lacking in imagination is by comparing it to 50 years of movies that it inspired.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2019 3:45 PM

Not surprisingly, the original book has been endlessly debated for it’s political subtext about the American financial system. Seriously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2019 3:54 PM

The New Yorker review of When Tomorrow Comes is hilarious. If people only wrote that well about today's ridiculous movies.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2019 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!