Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there a scientific reason why most people look like total shit in their photos

It is strange. 90% of people look bad. Even gorgeous celebrities. You cannot trust photos when meeting guys online etc.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2019 4:14 PM

I thought my psychologist was average from his online pic but he’s hot in person!

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2019 11:09 PM

I have several photographer friends and they say the same thing: you have to take a hundred photos to get just one good photo. Cameras are cruel, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2019 11:27 PM

Some people look like shit on camera

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2019 11:28 PM

Not always, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote]90% of people look bad.

This is why, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2019 11:33 PM

I know a woman who is exactly the opposite. She’s sort of meh in person but stunning in photos.

I have no idea what the camera captures. Maybe it’s her skin tone

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2019 11:36 PM

If most people photographed well, everyone would be a fashion model. Or a movie star.

Ever met a highly trained performer (actor, dancer, singer, musician) who does not photograph well (still photos, video, etc.)? That little shortcoming has destroyed a lot of budding careers.

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2019 11:39 PM

Madonna is always beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2019 11:47 PM

R6 I know a woman like that too. Her photos are stunning, in person she is very flat though. I know it's not just editing because pictures of us with my phone reveal the same change.

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2019 11:50 PM

At least these days, you don’t need to run up a bill on film. You can take 1000 photos if you have to.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2019 11:53 PM

It's bone structure. We've had a thousand threads about this, n00b.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2019 11:56 PM

And that's one reason models and actors make so much money... photogenic faces are so very rare.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2019 11:58 PM

Not only bone structure, R11.

I had the opportunity to see dozens of working fashion models come and go every day in my previous line of work, and not many of them possessed classical bone structure. There was always something else about them that the camera loved.

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2019 11:59 PM

What races photograph the worst? I imagine it is near impossible to make Chinese look good.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2019 12:42 AM

Do us all a favor and FF the racist at R14 right after you savor the exquisite beauty of Joan Chen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2019 12:46 AM

As far as on line profiles, I figure people only post their best pictures, so I expect everyone to look worse in person.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2019 12:47 AM

I look better in photos than real life.

People actually have said this.

It wasn’t necessary they say it - it wasn’t a dating situation - but they said it.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2019 1:02 AM

R15 choke on a huge black cock.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2019 1:05 AM

R18, are you propositioning me? Thanks, but no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2019 1:11 AM

For some strange reason, I usually look good in photos. So does my BF. I sure as hell ain't that impressive in real life.

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2019 1:14 AM

Everyone taking portraits or selfies needs one of those circular around the lens light bars. They make anyone look better.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2019 1:14 AM

R20 faux humility from an ugly dude is not interesting.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2019 1:18 AM

Yes, it's the lighting.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2019 1:28 AM

OP is desperately trying to rationalize why he doesn't look 40 years younger in photos.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2019 1:29 AM

r8....she looks like an addict.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2019 1:31 AM

I too know someone who photographs exceptionally well....she wrinkled from the sun and looks 20 years older in person...in pics, she looks like a supermodel. Im the opposite, Im much better looking in person, I look horrible in pics....to the point that I dont allow my pic taken.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2019 1:33 AM

None of the women at work look even remotely like the pics in their profile thanks to those fucking filters.

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2019 1:37 AM

R26 says the human turd. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2019 1:37 AM

They don't. You've just been conditioned by the mass media to accept their standards of what looks good.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]I'm much better looking in person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2019 1:59 AM

WHY WE LOOK BETTER IN A MIRROR THAN A PICTURE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2019 9:19 AM

Cameras, cell phone cameras in particular, use wide-angle lenses, typically 24-30mm focal length. The wide angle distorts facial features. Portrait lenses use a much narrower focal length, usually between 70-110mm, which produce the most pleasing facial proportions.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2019 9:29 AM

I'm sure I've never had that problem, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2019 9:32 AM

I’ve aorked with a lot of fashion and supermodels over the years and it’s shocking how many look rather ordinary or unattractive in real life yet like goddesses in their photos . A lot has to do with bome structure that plays well for the camera I guess . Then I have female friends who are breathtaking in the real world yet look like crap in photos . Always has baffled me .

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2019 9:33 AM

It has a lot to do with how we perceive faces. A living face moves imperceptibly, even when asleep. When we look at a face in a photograph, our brains see something that it labels as 'face', but because it isn't behaving in quite the way that hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have taught us to expect a face to behave, we perceive it as 'off'. Of course there are particularly beautiful people who are able to overcome our natural instinct, and actors and models train their facial muscles which helps then portray a semblance of movement even in a still shot, but most people just don't look right in a photo.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2019 11:48 AM

The thing you have to keep in mind about cameras, be they old fashioned film or modern digital is that they're just capturing a moment in time. And that image is captured in a fraction of a second.

So unless you carefully pose your photographic subject - you're going to have to take numerous pictures of them.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2019 11:58 AM

r35 um watch r31. Dont be so pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2019 12:04 PM

I had it explained to me like this: A camera is taking something 3 dimensional, a face, and turning it 2 dimensional. This results in a certain amount of flattening and distortion. Some people's faces distort prettier than other people's. Those people are photogenic. The rest of us are SOL.

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2019 1:39 PM

My dentist's photo doesn't do him justice. In the photo he is good looking, but is even better looking in person.

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2019 1:33 AM

There is a homeless guy in my neighborhood. He showed me some headshots since he is a working homeless dude. His pics don't do him justice at all.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2019 2:52 AM

Mug shots are the best!

I recall hearing of a guy that they punched right before his mug shot was taken, because he looked too happy otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2019 2:57 AM

My bone structure looks worse on film - m y nose looks wider and my cheekbones aren't as prominent. But my skin looks better, I have acne scars that I hate when I look in the mirror but they barely show up in pictures

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2019 3:04 AM

When I was single I would always post what I thought was a bad pic of myself so I would know the guys who responded were ok with what I considered my worst.

When I met my partner of now nearly 15 years for the first time the first thing he said was "wow, you are WAY cuter in person". The funny thing is, so was he.

That's when I knew I had met the right guy.

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2019 3:13 AM

R43, you should write Reader’s Digest “This American Life” column.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2019 3:23 AM

bumping

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2019 4:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!