Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel resigns after his blackface pictures come tumbling out of the closet

How do people like this get up every morning and function? Daily interactions with black colleagues must be soul crushing for him.

Dataloungers, you must know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2019 10:31 AM

FYI, It was 14 years ago.

Certainly, to put on blackface is extremely insensitive and tone-deaf. But there's was a time in our society when it was acceptable and thought to be comedic. So food for thought - is this person screwed because he did this and now it's an unacceptable behavior. Or is there a point in time at which we look the other way, for instance if someone did this 50 years ago when it was srill acceptable, he's ok, but if he did it 45 years ago, he's not ok? It's so weird and random to some degree.

Jimmy Kimmel was on The Man Show 15 years ago, where they had young women dress scantily and jump on trampolines so they could stare at the women's breasts bouncing. Is this acceptable? Does he need to apologize to women for objectifying them? Did it happen long enough ago, that he's forgiven, because it was a different climate? Or is it recent enough to offend women and force him off the air.

I'm by no means defending the Secretary's actions, but it's pretty confusing to me what bad choices people make will come back and bite them in 5, 10, or 15 years, and how serious the blowback would be/should be.

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2019 5:35 PM

Blackface was not acceptable bak in 2004, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2019 11:24 PM

It’s still acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2019 11:28 PM

It wasn’t just black face. It was blackface, wearing a dress, and wearing the sign “Hurricane Katrina Victim.”

Yes, that’s fucking shitty. He doesn’t even realize what a piece of crap he is for that.

by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2019 11:30 PM

Yes, you can do whatever you want, but a Secretary of State is supposed to feel everyone in the state should be treated equally.

If he has a history of making fun of black Hurricane Katrina victims, he must not be Secretary of State

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2019 11:32 PM

This is what happens when whites people only know other white people.

He has no idea how racist he is

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2019 11:32 PM

R1, the fact that he did this a mere two months after Hurricane Katrina made thousands of people homeless shows that it is even worse than if he had done it today

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2019 11:34 PM

R1, is Jimmy Kimmel running for political office?

Didn’t think so

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2019 11:34 PM

Not only acceptable, R3, but funny too. When I worked at Fox, everyone came in blackface and nobody complained.

And since Santa is white, why wouldn't this be funny?

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2019 11:36 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that such behavior is precisely why he's in power?

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2019 11:39 PM

he's also dressed like a full stereotypical "mammy" in that photo

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2019 11:41 PM

It was a little as 10 years ago, r2. 30 Rock, SNL and even Jimmy Kimmel all did blackface within the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2019 11:41 PM

R12, are you seriously comparing comedy (without context of course because I'm sure you're a simpleton who will just pretend 30 Rock doing it is coming from the same place as this guy) with someone you can pretty much bet your life is a racist fuckhead?

by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2019 11:46 PM

[quote] Certainly, to put on blackface is extremely insensitive and tone-deaf. But there's was a time in our society when it was acceptable and thought to be comedic.

It was not ok 14 years ago. He was mocking Katrina victims! That is in no way comparable to the blackface of 30 Rock, SNL etc. in ters of what was acceptable then. The guy was repulsive then and he's repulsive now.

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2019 11:47 PM

No, r13, I'm responding to a very specific comment.

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2019 11:47 PM

What's interesting to me is that this guy had to have known these photos were out there yet he went ahead and sought a political career. Was he being blackmailed with them? Why did they come out now?

by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2019 11:48 PM

So you weren't attempting to conflate what he did and where it was coming from in his soul vs a show like 30 Rock?

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2019 11:50 PM

R17, do you not see the reference to r2 in my post, which itself was responding to r1?

by Anonymousreply 18January 25, 2019 11:52 PM

R18, I'm just saying that blackface not being acceptable doesn't mean context isn't a factor. Blackface is unacceptable, but context matters.

by Anonymousreply 19January 25, 2019 11:56 PM

It was not acceptable when Joey Lawrence did it on Gimme a Break and was rightly berated by Nell Carter. So shut the fuck up because that was way before 2004. Learn the Laws of Datalounge. The man is a racist douche and R19 is the bag.

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2019 11:58 PM

one day, DL will have a data breach and we will see who all the racists are on here

by Anonymousreply 21January 25, 2019 11:58 PM

And, for the last time, r19, my response was limited to R2 -- a post that didn't distinguish context.

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2019 11:58 PM

There are some very good people who do blackface.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2019 12:00 AM

R20, where did I defend him? I'm R13/R17. I was saying that context matters when it comes to a show like 30 Rock doing it vs this guy. It's not coming from the same place.

OK, r22, I understand your point.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2019 12:01 AM

Joy Reid has done worse and more recently yet DL sided with her.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2019 12:02 AM

No, R25. No she hasn't because this guy's politics shows that "blackface" is exactly who he is whereas you'd have to be a complete imbecile to think Reid would literally attempt to take your rights away as a gay person, but the guy you're currently trying to defend for no real reason would.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2019 12:07 AM

r26 Buddy, Joy literally said gay men are pedophiles recruiting children via LGBT groups. You're delusional if you think she would be supportive of such a group of people.

And what she said is worse, far worse, than blackface.

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2019 12:09 AM

Does joy Reid currently hold a public office that affects millions of people’s legal rights r27?

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2019 12:13 AM

I believe it was less than 10 years ago that the dancer Julie Hough dressed as a character from Orange is the New Black for Halloween. She was happily posing for the paps because she genuinely did not think it was offensive.

Dave Chappelle, my favorite comic, cons white face and lampoons the basic lame white dude and I think it's hilarious. Why is pretending to be black offensive, but pretending to be white is hysterically funny? I think context does matter,

If you dress up as Diana Ross I Mahogany= funny. Dressing as a poor Katrina victim= mean spirited.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2019 12:24 AM

[quote]Why is pretending to be black offensive, but pretending to be white is hysterically funny?

I know. It’s outrageous!

Well at least Santa Claus is a white man. He just is.

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]Certainly, to put on blackface is extremely insensitive and tone-deaf. But there's was a time in our society when it was acceptable and thought to be comedic. So food for thought - is this person screwed because he did this and now it's an unacceptable behavior. Or is there a point in time at which we look the other way, for instance if someone did this 50 years ago when it was srill acceptable, he's ok, but if he did it 45 years ago, he's not ok? It's so weird and random to some degree.

Can anyone here read? I never stated that blackface was acceptable in 2004. My question wasn't about this specific instance, but a general one - as evidenced by my examples of 45 vs. 50 years ago.

Let's try it this way: Would someone who performed in blackface back in the 30s or 40s be punished today for that act, even though it was socially acceptable back then?

[quote][R1], is Jimmy Kimmel running for political office?... Didn’t think so

No, but neither was Kevin Hart. If you think society is only looking at politicians' histories, you haven't been paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2019 9:55 AM

Michael Jackson was in white face for years.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2019 10:24 AM

I had a gollywog. I ruthlessly favoured my fluffy ginger teddy over it. There were no affirmative whispers directed to it whatsoever. It lay neglected in a cupboard and was later incinerated. These are the unvarnished facts. I stand naked before DL.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2019 10:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!