Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

No more Marlboro Cigarettes

Marlboro Parent Company Looking to Stop Cigarette Production Forever in Favor of Smoke-free Products

Philip Morris International, the tobacco giant behind Marlboro and other leading brands, is hoping to phase out manufacturing cigarettes entirely and move into smoke-free products only.

The New York-based multibillion-dollar company announced that they’ve chosen to do “something really big” by moving away from cigarette production and placing emphasis on electronic substitutes instead.

The company is currently focusing on IQOS, a device that heats tobacco rather than burning it. It claims the product can potentially reduce the number of noxious chemicals found in cigarette smoke by 95 percent, although research is still being conducted.

“If we stop selling cigarettes, some else is going to sell them because people buy them,” Andre Calantzopoulos, CEO of Phillip Morris International, told Sky News. “So I don’t think that will have any impact on public health or the health of people.

“At the end of the day, the ambition we have is to replace cigarettes as soon as possible, with better alternatives for the people who continue smoking.”

In a report published March 2018, British government agency Public Health England (PHE) found that while heated tobacco products are likely to have lower levels of harmful compounds compared to cigarette smoke, the “limited evidence” currently available suggests that are more harmful than e-cigarettes. PHE suggested that more research is needed to be carried out on IQOS in order to make a fairer comparison.

Phillip Morris International currently sells other smoke-free products, including e-cigarettes, and have not yet given an indication as to when they hope to move entirely off tobacco-based products.

On its website, the Philip Morris International further explains its reasoning for moving away from cigarettes after the products helped them become one of the biggest companies on the planet.

“We understand the millions of men and women who smoke cigarettes,” the company said. “They are looking for less harmful, yet satisfying, alternatives to smoking. We will give them that choice.

“We have a commitment to our employees and our shareholders. We will fulfill that commitment by pursuing this long-term vision for success.

“Society expects us to act responsibly. And we are doing just that by designing a smoke-free future.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year worldwide, with 480,000 deaths occurring in the U.S every year—a figure that equates to nearly 1,300 deaths every day in the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2019 12:44 AM

There are a lot of plans" in that article but no hard promises.

But ecigs are the future.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2019 5:07 PM

Hope they make whatever component is disposable in ecigs easily recyclable. But I'm glad there'll be fewer cigarette butts polluting land and water, with all their poisons.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2019 5:26 PM

You gays are only interested in the overly hirsute Marlboro Man

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2019 5:38 PM

The Beverley Hills lady knew this would happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2019 6:07 PM

So are these chemicals in the tobacco plant naturally? If cigarette companies are putting chemicals or using pesticides they should just stop.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2019 6:59 PM

If Philip-Morris is a "billion dollar company," then why are they dumping cigarettes?

It's what's making them all that money.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2019 7:44 PM

That's just the international branch of the company, and they're talking about being prepared for a future in which nobody smokes, not discontinuing cigarettes in spite of smokers still existing.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2019 2:08 PM

Oh.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2019 2:12 PM

No 'boros. Well...now I [italic]know[/italic] I'll never smoke again.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2019 2:19 PM

I like my nicotine like I like my men—straight.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2019 2:20 PM

Cancer sticks

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2019 2:21 PM

The beautiful people smoke Silva Thins.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2019 2:26 PM

With all that talk about high-tar, who smokes Marlbaros these days anyway? I'm a Vantage gal myself

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2019 10:26 PM

The Indians smoked tobacco for thousands of years and were perfectly fine. It’s a grounding herb. Very good for those with a delicate nervous system.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2019 10:34 PM

I have a delicate nervous system.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2019 10:38 PM

I don't think Vantage have been around in years.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2019 10:38 PM

When I used to smoke and needed to bum a cigarette from someone I prayed they didnt smoke Marlboros. One of those cigarettes and I wanted to die.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2019 12:35 AM

What was your brand, r17?

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2019 12:39 AM

r17 I was the opposite of you. I loved Marlboros and didn't like most other brands. To each their own, I guess.

Looking at how much a pack of cigs costs these days, I'm glad I quit years ago. I still miss it sometimes, though.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote] The Indians smoked tobacco for thousands of years and were perfectly fine.

Yes, but their life expectancy was like 30 and they were physically active.

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2019 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!