Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 20 Best Movies Of 2018

Care to add any of your own?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2019 9:03 AM

Loved The Favourite. Loved Bohemian Rhapsody.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2018 11:23 PM

Did not love Widows.

The Favorite and A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2019 1:18 AM

I adore ASIB. I thought Spiderverse was def one of the best movies I’ve seen all year (I have kids). I don’t get the Mission Impossible love.

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2019 1:25 AM

Shoplifters. Best I’ve seen in a while.

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2019 1:28 AM

Roma, If Beale Street Could Talk, Eighth Grade

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2019 1:30 AM

Hated Eighth Grade. Have two kids in my life who are that age and we watched it together. While some of it was realistic, a lot more of it was laughably bad and unrelatable for them. I think this is one of those movies where adults think that's what is going on with kids but it's really, really not that way at all.

I don't get the Mission Impossible stuff, either. Ghost Protocol was pretty good but the rest are just the same, same, same. Loved Won't You Be My Neighbor. Hated Sorry to Bother You and Hereditary. Collette and The Rider were good. Blackkklansman held my interest. Ready Player One and Game Night both sucked. While a little saccharin, I liked Christopher Robin. The directors of Happy Time Murders and The Meg should be drawn and quartered.

I really liked Tully. I think Theron might get nominated...although I'm the only one.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2019 2:02 AM

R6, what aspects of Eighth Grade didn’t ring true for the kids you watched it with? Also, why do you think that if the experiences of “your” kids didn’t mesh with those onscreen that it wasn’t a good film? It’s telling the story of a particular character; it’s not meant to represent every eighth grader’s personal experience.

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2019 2:07 AM

R7, she kept doing things that no eighth grader would do unless they had some sort of mental disorder. The most memorable example for me was the pool party scene. There were also several scenes in the school where the reaction was "no one would ever do that!". And those videos she kept making were ridiculous. And, it's not just the kids sitting there watching it with me. They live in a world filled with kids this age and a little older and younger. You'll notice most of the raves about this movie being so true to the lives of eighth graders are coming from adults, not actual eighth graders.

And, it wasn't a good film because it didn't match their experiences. It wasn't a good film because it was a bad film that I hated. All the hype was just that, hype, with a nice side of bandwagon jumping.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2019 6:54 AM

The Favourite felt much longer than it actually was. And what was up the fish eye lens scenes?

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2019 7:56 AM

Cold War

Guilty

Custody

The Favourite

Early Man

Beast

Lean on Pete

by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2019 9:43 AM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2019 9:53 AM

Can You ever Forgive Me?

The Favorite

Maria Callas

Museo

RBG

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2019 10:29 AM

Thunder Road

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2019 11:25 AM

The best movie of the year isn't even on here: Will You Be My Neighbor? But I'm sure this writer is far too cool and hip to be bothered with what he perceives as oldster sentimental slop.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2019 12:33 PM

Burning

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2019 1:07 AM

Green Book, Won’t You Be My Neighbor, Notorious RBG

by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2019 4:23 AM

The Favourite springs to mind at first thought although I am sure there are others worth mentioning. Oh yes personally I did like the First Man too, it is in my top ten of the year.

For pure escapism with a bit of distraction hunky beefcake I feel I should mention The Meg starring Jason Statham.

There was also a Blake Lively film were she gave a superb performance as a sociopathic character who faked her own death but its name escapes me!

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2019 4:31 AM

Can You ever Forgive Me?

The Spy Who Dumped Me (only movie that made me laugh at all)

Bad Times at the El Royale

The Wife

by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2019 4:33 AM

Three Urinals of the Condor

Three Urinals Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Godfather Part III Urinals

Darnell's 50 Load WeekKkend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2019 5:52 PM

Liked Widows. Feel it was overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2019 6:40 PM

R17 - Simple Favor. Loved it. Def on my list of best movies I’ve seen this year.

by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2019 8:05 PM

R20 i liked Widows too.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2019 8:30 PM

You Were Never Really Here. First Reform. The Guilty. Sorry to Bother You. The Rider. Black Kkkansman. Beast. Calibre. The Wife .

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2019 8:36 PM

Leave No Trace. The Death of Stalin.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2019 8:39 PM

Paddington 2

by Anonymousreply 25January 7, 2019 4:47 PM

First Born

by Anonymousreply 26January 7, 2019 4:50 PM

Death of Stalin

Won't You Be My Neighbor

Colette (which is a better version of The Wife with lesbians and a happy ending)

by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2019 4:51 PM

First Reformed

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2019 4:52 PM

Cold War

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2019 11:47 AM

The Favourite, Burning, The Wild Pear Tree, Sorry To Bother You, First Reformed, Suspiria, Eighth Grade, Happy as Lazzaro.

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2019 11:55 AM

Bumblebee

🕷verse

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2019 11:59 AM

I liked Can You Ever Forgive Me & really disliked Vice.

by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2019 12:16 PM

Sorry to Bother you was a stylistic gem.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2019 2:12 AM

22 July - Amazing Grace - American Animals- Apostasy - Ash Is Purest White - At Eternity’s Gate - Beast

The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales - Calibre - Can You Ever Forgive Me? - Cold War - Dogman - Early Man - The Favourite

First Reformed - Free Solo - The Guilty - Hereditary - The House That Jack Built - If Beale Street Could Talk - Lean on Pete

Long Day’s Journey Into Night - Let the Sunshine In - McQueen - Mirai - Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Paddington 2

Pin Cushion - Quién te cantará - The Rider - Roma - Shoplifters - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Stan & Ollie

Transit - Utøya: July 22 - Won’t You Be My Neighbor? - You Were Never Really Here

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2019 4:36 AM

I personally do feel that 2016 and 2017 were better more vintage years for film than 2018 was.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2019 4:53 AM

+ Quincy

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2019 4:54 AM

The Favourite, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, Roma, First Man, Beautiful Boy, Happy As Lazzaro, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Private Life, Mission:Impossible - Fallout, Boy Erased, A Star Is Born, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, The Incredibles 2, Love Simon.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2019 5:08 AM

Widows didn't do a good job of introducing the fast running extra person. It was 20 - 30 minutes into the film, after meeting everyone else, then all of a sudden they want to introduce this new person and her family, completely out of context. You think 'who is this now, did I miss something?' Not good film making at all.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2019 5:09 AM

The Favourite

Roma

A Quiet Place

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2019 8:24 AM

In a year dominated by African American casts, I thought that Beal Street needed an editor, Widows needed better writing, BlacKKKlansman needed to blow up more racists and The Hate U Give should have been given more attention.

Aside form Black Panther, THUG was the best AfroCentric movie of the year. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2019 9:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!