Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ariana Grande turned down honor to become first American woman bestowed with the title of 'Dame'

Dame Ariana Grande could have joined the likes of Maggie Smith and Judi Dench to receive the most prestigious title for a woman, but she politely refused the honor from Queen Elizabeth. However, it's rumored that she could be receiving her Dameship from the Queen this summer in London, making her the first American woman to receive the title of "Dame."

But even though the singer was honoured to be asked by a committee, she felt it was too soon to accept in the wake of the atrocity that killed 23 people including suicide bomber Salman Abedi.

"Ariana was flattered but said it was too soon. She explained she was still grieving. So were scores of families.

"She feared some affected might see it as insensitive. The committee wrote to her but she politely said no."

According to the paper, another source added: "She was deeply moved and honoured. She didn't decline it as such but explained it was not the right time to accept."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2018 8:39 PM

Lol, she's got a savvy publicist, this was a very smart move. There would have been a major backlash if she had said yes.

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2018 8:29 PM

Nah, Angelina Jolie has a "damehood" from the UK. She snatched hers with a swiftness.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2018 8:30 PM

That's a joke right?

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2018 8:30 PM

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA......such bullshit, but then again, her fans will believe anything.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2018 8:31 PM

Freddie should be knighted posthumously first...

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2018 8:31 PM

What utter fucking bullshit. This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2018 8:33 PM

Frankie is the REAL dame, and don't you forget it, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2018 8:34 PM

I'm a Brit and I have trouble believing this. What has she ever actually achieved?

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2018 8:35 PM

Wasn't Elizabeth Taylor the first American to get the title of Dame?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2018 8:36 PM

Can you imagine if she managed to work the Manchester bombing into her Thank you Next song? 🎶My fans in Manchester were the bomb 🎶Too bad they aren't here to hear this song 🎶Thank you next!

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2018 8:38 PM

She DID say she hates America and Americans. Maybe the Queen still holds a grudge.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2018 8:39 PM

Wasn't Elizabeth Taylor born in London?

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2018 8:39 PM

r9.....Elizabeth Taylor was born in London and lived there until she was 6 or 7.....she had dual citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2018 8:39 PM

There are different levels of OBE honors and only the higher levels (knighthood) carries the Sir/Dame honorific. It’s possible that she has been offered a lower rank in the order (member or officer) and her publicist is confused.

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2018 8:45 PM

OR.....she's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2018 8:48 PM

Liz was born in London to *American* parents. They moved back to the US when she was around 7 where she grew up and lived most of her life, save for the time when she renounced her US citizenship while married to Burton. She got it back after their second divorce.

At any rate, calling Liz British would be like calling Nicole Kidman an American. She was born in Hawaii and the lived briefly in DC before her family moved back to Australia when she was a young child.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2018 9:08 PM

The confirms Ariana is a true Drama Queen.

"Ariana turned down the honor . . . "

Like the title will be placed on "Hold" for her, until she's ready.

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2018 9:12 PM

Liz Taylor would have spoken with a British accent and would have been culturally British by that point. My parents were foreign too but I spoke with a perfect London accent by the time I was five years old.

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2018 9:15 PM

R18 and then she lost her British accent and had an all-American upbringing and movie roles. You don't develop your definite accent until you're around 12 or so. She probably didn't remember much of her life in the UK. Her family moved back to the US one month after she turned 7.

by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2018 9:19 PM

Good for her

by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2018 9:37 PM

No woman born outside the UK, and its (former) conolonies, can get the actual DBE title. But they can get an honorary title without being able to call themselves Sir or Dame.

[quote] Unlike their British counterparts, non-British recipients are not permitted to use the titles “Sir” or “Lady” in front of their names. But they are entitled to add initials after their names that correspond to the particular distinctions bestowed upon them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2018 9:56 PM

What on earth has that little cum-dumpette done that would warrant any British award? The fact she was performing at a concert when it got bombed? BFD. I just wish Areola Grandé and her mincing pisspot half brother, Fankie Grandé, would go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2018 10:08 PM

Why was Ariana Grande asked in the first place? Her concert bombing and subsequent concert does not qualify her to become a dame.

by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2018 10:10 PM

Not remotely true.

by Anonymousreply 24December 30, 2018 10:10 PM

What the fuck for, her long and storied career? She’s only 25 FFS. Betty is not being very selective.

by Anonymousreply 25December 30, 2018 10:51 PM

The royal family lets anyone in these days.

by Anonymousreply 26December 30, 2018 11:04 PM

Ha ha

Even Ariana knows the whole cosplay fetish is a farce

by Anonymousreply 27December 30, 2018 11:14 PM

Does anyone else find the Ariana Grande saturation of pop culture a little bit weird? She pops up in the most unexpected of places, she has weird and tragic things happen around her on a regular basis, she has weird relationship news all of the time.

Maybe I'm just not aware of how many fans she has but I just find it weird how she's everywhere now and it came out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 28December 30, 2018 11:22 PM

They all ‘come out of nowhere’ these days.

by Anonymousreply 29December 30, 2018 11:28 PM

The original story came from 'The Sun' . It originates from a quote by a 'source' . Maybe she was offered something, as r14 states, but I doubt very much it was a Damehood.

The Sun and Sky are both Rupert Murdoch entities, who, I'm sure everyone knows, also owns Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 30December 30, 2018 11:33 PM

Did you know that Elizabeth Taylor and Julie Andrews were knighted by the Queen with the Dameship on the same day?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 30, 2018 11:34 PM

Unless someone connected with the monarchy can confirm it, I doubt it ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 32December 30, 2018 11:37 PM

Why would it even be offered to her? What kind of work has she done to warrant it?? It's not like she's donated her life's work to the Red Cross or an AIDS foundation. There'd be no reason to even offer it to her.

by Anonymousreply 33December 30, 2018 11:40 PM

If she gets one, then the next on the list should be Sir Johnny Depp. He's always going to visit children in hospitals when he's dressed up as Jack Sparrow. So, he should really get the honor before Ariana.

by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2018 11:46 PM

Have you ever seen anything as elegant as Dame Julie's curtsy before the Queen during the Investiture ceremony? It even took Taylor's breath away.

The official title is:

DAME COMMANDER OF THE ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIR, from QUEEN ELIZABETH II

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2018 11:48 PM

Does the queen just give these titles away? Apparently, if this story is correct

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2018 11:50 PM

[quote]Does the queen just give these titles away? Apparently, if this story is correct

Can I get one? They would SHIT down at the bar if I came in with a knighthood.

by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2018 11:53 PM

If they're lowering the bar so that anyone who shows "compassion and support" for the victims can get the honor, then the Queen should be giving these things out like Halloween candy.

What about giving them to the 6,000 residents of Gander Newfoundland, who took care of 7,000 plane passengers when the FAA shut down US airspace during 9-11? At least Canadians are part of the British Commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 38December 31, 2018 12:01 AM

Publicist: Well,. we HAD considered damehood, and I don't want to offend you , but the lady feels that damehood is TACKY, for her.

Ariana: Oh, I think it's DIVINE for older women, but it's not right for me, you understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 31, 2018 12:14 AM

Wait a minute! She set off a bomb in Manchester and now they are giving her an award for it?

by Anonymousreply 40December 31, 2018 12:16 AM

This is bullshit equal to or even exceeding her actual weight.

by Anonymousreply 41December 31, 2018 12:18 AM

The royals are desperate for millennials attention.

by Anonymousreply 42December 31, 2018 12:26 AM

This story is from the Onion.

by Anonymousreply 43December 31, 2018 12:31 AM

Her long ponytail is covering a bald spot on the back of her head.

by Anonymousreply 44December 31, 2018 12:34 AM

R21 I was coming to say the same thing, has an American she can receive the honour but she wouldn't be a Dame but could use post-nominals.Example the Bill Gates was knighted by the Queen, but did not become Sir Bill Gates, but is entitled to sign his name Bill Gates, KBE. If recieved such an award and later became a citizen of the UK the award could be converted to a regular title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 31, 2018 12:35 AM

Well, when Ariana builds up her wealth to Gates' level and invents something that the entire world uses for a few decades, then she'd be worthy of an audience with the Queen. But until then, she should probably get a new publicist.

by Anonymousreply 46December 31, 2018 12:46 AM

[quote] No woman born outside the UK, and its (former) conolonies, can get the actual DBE title. But they can get an honorary title without being able to call themselves Sir or Dame.

WRONG! DL fav Olivia de Havilland was born in Japan and she's a Dame (and a real one, not a fake one like Angelina Jolie). She was born a British citizen thanks to her parents, which is the reason she was able to receive the title.

by Anonymousreply 47December 31, 2018 2:12 AM

R47 In general, you can't receive it if you were born outside of the UK or members of the Commonwealth who allow honours, unless you wore born to a parent who holds citizenship in the UK or one of those Commonwealth countries. Does that work for you?

Also, an honourary honour is still a real honour not a fake one, they go through the same process as substantial honours, they just cannot use the title Sir or Dame because they do not owe allegiance to Her Majesty. A fake honour would be when you go on a website and buy a "title" or "honour" from some dubious fake or minor royal from a dethroned royal house.

by Anonymousreply 48December 31, 2018 2:57 AM

Wasn't Kevin Spacey made a dame too?

by Anonymousreply 49December 31, 2018 7:08 AM

Bitch, I am a QUEEN!

by Anonymousreply 50December 31, 2018 7:14 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 31, 2018 8:37 AM

My apologies, stories like Angela Lansbury RECEIVING her damehood ...

by Anonymousreply 52December 31, 2018 8:38 AM

Angelina looked fabulous when she received her damehood...wearing Ralph & Russo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 31, 2018 9:03 AM

How the hell did she get here from the donut licking incident where she called all Americans fat?

by Anonymousreply 54December 31, 2018 12:07 PM

She had a concert where a bunch of innocents got gunned down. But she persevered!

by Anonymousreply 55December 31, 2018 12:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 31, 2018 3:59 PM

How come Angela Lansbury doesn't have a Dameship? Does the Queen dislike her for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 57December 31, 2018 4:16 PM

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 58December 31, 2018 4:21 PM

[quote] How come Angela Lansbury doesn't have a Dameship? Does the Queen dislike her for some reason?

She was made a Dame in 2014. Try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 59December 31, 2018 4:27 PM

Total bullshit. Even if it were true, it would an honorary knighthood. American citizens are not allowed to accept titles from foreign countries. Jolie's admission to the Order of St. Michael and St. George was an honorary one. She is not allowed to call herself "Dame Angelina". The rule doesn't apply if someone has dual citizenship, however.

The Queen has certain knighthoods totally under her control, but the majority are bestowed at the request of the Government. The Queen would never have made Jolie a Dame if the British Government had not asked the Queen to do it.

by Anonymousreply 60December 31, 2018 4:36 PM

I've always looked at Elizabeth Taylor as being British.

by Anonymousreply 61December 31, 2018 4:46 PM

R60 Actually there is no law or rule that says "American citizens are not allowed to accept titles from foreign countries." Many people think that there is such a rule and there was a proposed amendment to the Constitution that would have prevented it, but it has never been ratified. The fact that Jolie, Spacey, Gates, etc... have received honouray honours is because of the rules on the British end, that says only their citizens can be given actual titles and that foreign citizens receive honourary ones, with just post-nominals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 31, 2018 4:52 PM

You can be an American citizen and hold a foreign, aristocratic title, it just doesn't have any official recognition or bearing in the US, you can't receive official privileges and legal protections as a result of it here, like you often can where the title is held or was given.

by Anonymousreply 63December 31, 2018 7:25 PM

Didn't she jump on the first plane out of Manchester and refuse to meet victims for the first few weeks? This sounds like complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 64December 31, 2018 7:29 PM

[quote]How the hell did she get here from the donut licking incident where she called all Americans fat?

If anything, that would only help her.

by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2018 8:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!