Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diana Ross and The Supremes

I love Diana Ross’ smile. She was really photogenic.

I recall her singing posture being unique. She used to look like she was always straining her neck while singing.

Check out the fancy dance moves in this video. We really have come a long way, baby!

As I watch this video, I find myself rooting for her. Like she is an amateur thrust into the spotlight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2019 12:46 AM

Check out this one and the backup dancers who look like they’re having seizures. It a little disturbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2018 4:09 AM

Berry Gordy took a great interest in Diana Ross, in more ways than one, and was the force that motivated her to the top. She couldn't have done it without him even she had great drive and talent. Her voice is not one of the all time greats but very recognizable and she has great presence and charisma. But could also be a real pain-in-the -ass diva at times.

by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2018 4:12 AM

I love her talking-singing. Her voice adds a very wistful quality to those classic Supreme hits.

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2018 4:16 AM

Her real glory days was with The Supremes who turned out to be Motown's biggest hit makers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2018 4:16 AM

They were somthin' else in defining a generation. Black girls for a white audience.

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2018 6:50 AM

Love Diana's voice. Berry made the right choice making her lead.

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2018 6:56 AM

"Berry made the right choice making her lead."

I think I agree. They tried fora long time but were apparently dubbed the 'No Hit Supremes'. Then, Gordy moved Ross to the lead and it turned around. I read last month that their 12 #1 hits is still the record for female groups ever. And that Diana Ross had 6 #1 hits as a solo artist. That's all impressive.

by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2018 7:04 AM

If you were walking through your house or on the street and Diana Ross’ voice came on the radio, you knew it was her. Her voice sounded unique and fresh and not taken for granted.

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2018 8:11 AM

There was something about this lady’s success that seemed earned, beyond Berry Gordy’s opening doors. She did movies, hosted shows, toured and racked some songs that are identifiably her. She helped clear the way for some others.

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2018 8:24 AM

The eyeliner is a hoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2018 4:15 PM

"Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" is on the February 1999 Gap In-Store Playlist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2018 4:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2018 4:28 PM

Love her voice and she became a very fine singer and performer as her career progressed from girl group member to solo artist. What I also love about her was that she never was a bible stomping hypocrite. All her kids turned out to be OK.

by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2018 6:45 PM

According to some, she possessed one powerful fuck she used on Gordy to sustain a fifty year career.

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2018 7:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2018 7:43 PM

R14 = Mary Wilson

by Anonymousreply 16December 28, 2018 8:04 PM

[quote]What I also love about her was that she never was a bible stomping hypocrite.

The expression is "bible-THUMPING," dear.

by Anonymousreply 17December 29, 2018 12:00 AM

I do like Mary's voice, though. It was kind of husky, but sexy. She was a beautiful woman. Florence had a strong voice, but it wasn't pop enough which is why Berry wen't with Diana. Diana's was more versatile, even though originally it sounded too nasally.

You can really hear her growth vocally through the '60s and '70s. I attribute a lot of that to great producers and production (Ashford & Simpson, Michael Masser, Richard Perry, Ron Miller, etc. )

Her '80s vocal performances were more spotty when she moved to RCA.

by Anonymousreply 18December 29, 2018 2:29 AM

The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart is one of the greatest albums ever recorded!

by Anonymousreply 19December 29, 2018 2:38 AM

Mary’s solo performances are just ghastly. She’s fine as a backup singer, but she has no range or technique.

by Anonymousreply 20December 29, 2018 2:40 AM

You can really see the resemblance to Tracee Ellis Ross in Diana's younger days.

by Anonymousreply 21December 29, 2018 3:00 AM

This song really makes me smile. Her voice sells the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 29, 2018 8:24 AM

thx for the vids

by Anonymousreply 23December 29, 2018 8:30 AM

When the Supremes were at the height of their popularity Berry Gordy brought in a few movie producers to watch their act and ask them which of the girls was most suited for movies - the wheels were turning in his head. Later, in unison, they told him Florence Ballard because of her great figure and sexy stage presence. Needless to say Berry got rid of them in a hurry and continued to concentrate on Diana Ross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 29, 2018 3:07 PM

She slept with her boss (Berry Gordy) to advance her own career. Timeless.

by Anonymousreply 25December 29, 2018 3:20 PM

Here’s my favorite song interpretation by Diana. She really sells the emotions of the lyrics with her phrasing and I like how her voice is huskier here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 29, 2018 3:36 PM

Apparently they’re lip syncing their music on all these videos. I don’t mind, but it was a surprise when I learned that the music Industry did this at all.

by Anonymousreply 27December 29, 2018 6:37 PM

R27, I noticed that some youtube video creators have put together live performance video footage with actual original music tracks. You can see the mouth movement is not in synch. That happens a lot on youtube. I don't think it's technically lip synching.

by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2018 6:51 PM

Hi R28, I drew my conclusion from being familiar with a recorded version of their songs from a box-set of records I had in college, back in the 1980s.

The recordings are the same on the records and on the videos. I suppose it is possible that they were all from the same recording session, but it seems unlikely.

Also, one clip, above, switches back and forth between two videos. One from the early 1960s, and one from, maybe, 10 years later. When they switch back and forth, the music and singing doesn’t change at all.

Also, there are no musical,instruments. They could be off screen, but I think they are simply not present.

So, maybe they are not lip syncing, but I still think they are.

by Anonymousreply 29December 29, 2018 8:49 PM

I saw a video of them with Sammy Davis Jr on his variety show. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 30January 5, 2019 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!