Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Common American Names / Nicknames that will never make a comeback

I read that if you search the names of current nursing home and assisted living residents, you'll find all of the "newly" popular names for young kids. Setting aside the evergreen classic names, it is said it takes three generations for a name to come back. Among the pre-k and grade school set, I know three Hazels, two Mildreds, an Eleanor and an Agnes.

But I never see the mid-century names and nicknames making a comeback, because what do these names even mean?

Nancy Lois Karen Donna Joanne Barbara Carol Betty (Maybe. Maybe I can see a retro-cool Betty). Janet Eileen Ann (Anna or Anabella/Annabelle, not Anne).

and more.

Judy for Judith (Just Judith) Cathy for Catherine (It's Cate/Kate or Cat/Kat now) Bill for William (it's Will) Peggy for Margaret (Maggie) Beth for Elizabeth (It's Lizzie or Liz) Dick or Richie for Richard (It's Richard)

I just can't see it. All the midcentury names sound like they are trying hard to be modern, but of course they have dated in a way even Adelaide and Beatrice have not. You can go back centuries and find some of the names of today's nursing home residents that went out of fashion for a couple of generations and are now back in. But is there a Nancy or Lois way back then? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 236December 24, 2018 11:09 PM

I had a Filipina co-worker who named her daughters Karen and Linda. I guess nobody told her those are old lady names.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2018 12:57 AM

They are soon-to-be-old lady names. Lois, Linda and Karen's parents are dying off but Lois and Linda are still active late-middle-agers.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2018 12:59 AM

Denise.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2018 1:06 AM

I have ancestors’ named Lois from the early 1600s. I think it is derived from Louis, King of France. So, it’s old as dirt, not really mid-century.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, Nancy was actually a nickname for Anne.

Judith is a common Jewish name. Judy seems like a natural diminutive. Barbara is a Catholic Saint, and traditional Catholics choose a Christian name for their child. Eileen, Cathy, Maggie some of the others are common Irish names.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2018 1:10 AM

Anne is medieval, not mid-century. It comes from Hannah, which is even older.

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2018 1:13 AM

I pity any kid called Mildred. That's a frickin huge handicap right there from birth.

Sarah, Rachel and Lisa are a generation of names behind the Lois's and Joanne's, but they're also distinctly uncool.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2018 1:21 AM

Here are some names I’ve seen in my ancestral New England town that seem unlikely to come back:

Annis, for a woman.

Ebenezer (ruined by Charles Dickens)

Mercy

Remember

Fear

Twisden

Knott

Seaward

Jemima

Uriel

Eleazer

Mehitable, for a woman

Enock

Deliverance

Ambrose

Humphrey

Winslow

Osmon

Patience

Bethiah

Lot

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2018 1:34 AM

Henchman was an old first name. I’ve only heard it used to refer to a 19th century person’s “fixer”, but it was actually a first name.

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2018 1:38 AM

I know of a ten year old Edith, a seven year old Susannah and a nine year old Yvonne. These are all names I associate with over-60s.

You don’t hear of many people named Pauline or Annette any more. Also Jeanette, Joan, Lynette, Doreen or Patsy.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2018 1:44 AM

They'll come back around again. Just when they seem they are dying off, they come back into fashion. Even some of the names you NEVER thought were coming back are very popular now, like "Florence" and "Matilda."

Once all the Boomer and Gen X Lindas and Jennifers start dying off altogether , they will come back in fashion.

Btw, "Lisa" is an old nickname for "Elizabeth," and "Nancy" for "Ann" (Anne"). They are out fo fashion now but will come back around in twenty-thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2018 1:57 AM

Debbie and Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2018 1:57 AM

[quote] Anne is medieval, not mid-century. It comes from Hannah, which is even older.

Anne goes back even further than the medieval period .

St. Anne was the mother of the Virgin Mary.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2018 1:58 AM

Love this thread as I've always been fascinated by the popularity (or lack thereof) of names in American culture.

After all the centuries of St. Joan's notoriety, what suddenly made it such a popular name in the late 1920s? Was it because of Joan Crawford?

Why did Ava, Cary, Clark and Lana not become popular names? Those were 4 very popular actors. Too much to live up to? Yet Elizabeth, Audrey, Grace, Ava, mysteriously, is now suddenly very popular. What about Hedy? That one never caught on.

Was Susan Hayward responsible for the popularity of Susan in the late 1940s/early 1950s?

Bette Davis, Betty Grable and Betty Hutton were huge stars in the 1940s but that was around the time Betty/Bette became an unpopular name for baby girls. Hmmm......

by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2018 2:02 AM

Sorry, meant to point out above that unlike Ava, Lana, Cary and Clark, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly's reputations never seemed to intimidate the naming of baby girls.

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2018 2:05 AM

Monica. Kim. Chuck. Fred

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2018 2:08 AM

[quote] After all the centuries of St. Joan's notoriety, what suddenly made it such a popular name in the late 1920s? Was it because of Joan Crawford?

Actually, it was not at first because of Crawford. It became trendy first because of the canonization of St. Joan of Arc by Pope Benedict XV in 1920 (which was very late, given that Joan of Arc lived during the Hundred Years War and had a cult about her ever since).. This spawned a craze for Joan of Arc in Western Europe and North America throughout the 20s--statues of her went up in many cities (including my city of Portland, OR); George Bernard Shaw wrote the play "Saint Joan"; and "Joan" became one of the most popuar names in the US for baby girls.

MGM had their contract player Lucille LeSueur enter a naming contest run by the magazine [italic]Movie Weekly[/italic] because Louis B. Mayer did not like the name "LeSueur." ("It reminds me of a sewer," he told her). The then-very-trendy name of "Joan Arden" won the contest, but another actress had recently taken that very name as a screen name, so the studio changed it to Joan Crawford, and LeSueur had to take it, even though she thought it was inelegant. But after she took it, she became a star, and so she kept it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2018 2:13 AM

Bertha. Never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2018 2:15 AM

[quote] Yet Elizabeth, Audrey, Grace, Ava, mysteriously, is now suddenly very popular.

Elizabeth became popular again not because of Elizabeth Taylor (born in 1932), but because of the current Queen Elizabeth II (born in 1926). There was so much press obsession around Princess Elizabeth of York (as she was named when she was born) that the name boomed in popularity in the late 20s and early 30s, and Elizabeth Taylor's British parents were probably influenced by that popularity when they chose it for their daughter. Princess Elizabeth was the first grandchild born of George V, and though it was certainly not expected at birth she would ever inherit the throne, just because it had been so long since a baby had been born to the House of Windsor, the press was obsessed with her.

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2018 2:20 AM

Though I feel sorry for baby girls named Mildred, I think Milly is a very cute name.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2018 2:20 AM

"Millie"/"Milly" is a popular name for small girls these days, but they are more usually fully named "Matilda" or just "Millie"/"Milly" rather than "Mildred" or "Millicent."

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2018 2:23 AM

I read the obituary of an elderly lady and her name was Flora-Belle. Outdated needless to say.

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2018 2:26 AM

Royal baby names are now a huge influence on names. Both "William" and "Harry" (and Harry's proper name "Henry") became popular again when Princess Diana chose them. (Most Williams up until that time in the early 80s had gone by Bill or Billy, but William and Will became popular forms of the name again.) Supposedly there has been a huge resurgence in the popularity of the names George, Charlotte, and Louis since Kate named her babies those names (or, more likely, was instructed to give her babies those names). But this does not translate to lesser royals: neither Beatrice nor Eugenie became popular as names after Fergie gave them to her daughters.

by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2018 2:28 AM

I grew up with a girl named Ethel. Never hear it anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2018 2:30 AM

Ethel Potter.

We never forgot 'er.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2018 2:31 AM

My name is David. It's been around for centuries and will never go out of fashion. Know lots of other David's.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2018 2:33 AM

I’m Doug.

We are a rarity now.

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2018 2:37 AM

Most popular names for boys in the 1950s (at least in the Northeast): Steven, David, John, Jeffrey, Daniel, Mark, Bill (never Will), and Robert (usually Bob or Bobby, never Rob until The Dick Van Dyke Show). That hasn't changed, has it? There all still very popular.

But also popular then and mostly disappeared: Ira, Marvin, Melvin, Howie, Arnold, Harvey, Norman, Guy, Larry, Gary, Stuart and Stewart.

James has long been popular though once usually called Jim or Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2018 2:40 AM

I don't think we'll see many Donalds for next few hundred years.

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2018 2:42 AM

Loretta briefly became a very popular name in the 1930s after the advent of Loretta Young. Did anyone famous have that name before her?

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2018 2:45 AM

It's odd when movie stars make a difference in names (which is not often).

One of the biggest ever was from Gary Cooper: "Gary" was thought an exotic and unique first name for boys (it was much more often thought of as a last name or the name of a city in Indiana) before he caught on as a star, and then his name just took off and became one of the most popular boy's names in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. But "Cary"never really caught on.

"Debbie" became very popular after Debbie Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2018 2:45 AM

Will "Bernadette" ever make a comeback?

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2018 2:51 AM

r30, I was born in 1949 and went to school with many Debbies, Deborahs and Debras, who were all named before anyone heard of Debbie Reynolds. But I do wonder why the name was so popular in 1949.

And did you happen to read my post upthread about Ava, Lana and Clark as well as Cary? It's a mystery!

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2018 2:53 AM

Shirley.

Now there's a name that won't be making a comeback any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2018 2:54 AM

Jean and Jane seem to have vanished, along with Joan

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2018 2:55 AM

Stephen or Steven seems to have had a huge wave, and now it's gone. I remember my Uncle Steve about it and him lamenting that even there were at least two or three others in every class at school. He was born in the early 60's but the Steve Wave must have started in the 50's.

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2018 2:57 AM

I know a woman named Mercy! In New England.

Also a 13-year old named Barbara. That blows my mind.

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2018 2:57 AM

Dorothy, Deirdre, Shelley, Angela.....gone!

But Beatrice is suddenly very popular.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2018 2:58 AM

Mamie, Grace and Louise are all very pretty names!

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2018 3:00 AM

Barbara was popular among the Polish of a certain age.

My mother was named Marjorie and mostly known as Margie or Marge.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2018 3:01 AM

Will Roger ever make a comeback?

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2018 3:02 AM

I know a sheep named Baaabraaa. She’s Australian.

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2018 3:04 AM

Ebenezer, Elizur. Ezekial, Isaac, Ichabod, Gideon, Lot. Levi, Noah, Eliphalet, Amos, Phineas, Salmon, Peletiah, Job, Elijiah, Hezekiah, Josiah, Moses, Ira, Selah, Gad, Seth, Solomon,Nehemiah..... I come from old New England Mayflower colonial stock and those male names were very common in the colonial era. If you are a WASP and study genealogy your male ancestors will have some of those names, I guarantee.

Only Amish, some Mormon or other Christian fundamentalist families give their boys those names now.

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2018 3:12 AM

I was reading Jane Austen and realized how common/popular the name Fanny was, in both England and the US (I believe) in the 1800s. Now, fanny means butt in American English and vulva in Great Britain. How on earth did that happen? Fanny’s never coming back into style.

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2018 3:12 AM

Bobby Lee

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2018 3:15 AM

Nellie seemed to have been a fairly commonplace name in England/Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2018 3:15 AM

I live in NJ. John has been replaced by Jonathan. At Starbucks, my cup often reads Jon, John, or Jhon. I’m not sure of the origin of Jhon. My area has large populations of Filipino, South American, and Vietnamese.

Second and third generation Indian guy should are getting American names. Ryan seems very popular.

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2018 3:15 AM

Peter

Sydney

Lionel

by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2018 3:17 AM

Peter

Paul

& Mary

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2018 3:35 AM

Wasn't Nell originally a nickname for Ellen? Like Nan and Nancy were for Ann?

by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2018 3:36 AM

Harry, Sam, and Max were my friends' father's names. Now they're my friends' sons' names.

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2018 3:38 AM

Is Matthew the most popular boy's name of the last 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2018 3:43 AM

I wonder how kids with names like Edith (Edie) or Maisie who are toddlers now are going to cope when they're 13, fat-faced and squeezing into some cut-off denims and a bandeau. I bet they'll wish their parents had at least given them a decent middle name like Alison or Rebecca that they can switch to, but nope it'll be something gut-churning like "Edie-Mae Rose' or 'Maisie Grace'.

by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote] Ebenezer, Elizur. Ezekial, Isaac, Ichabod, Gideon, Lot. Levi, Noah, Eliphalet, Amos, Phineas, Salmon, Peletiah, Job, Elijiah, Hezekiah, Josiah, Moses, Ira, Selah, Gad, Seth, Solomon,Nehemiah..... I come from old New England Mayflower colonial stock and those male names were very common in the colonial era. If you are a WASP and study genealogy your male ancestors will have some of those names, I guarantee.

Honey, the Jews STILL use many of those names.

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2018 3:58 AM

[quote]"Debbie" became very popular after Debbie Reynolds.

As well as Tammy from her Tammy movies.

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2018 4:02 AM

Mom, Thelma and grandmothers Della and Annabelle aren’t coming back, the latter because of that demon doll.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2018 4:05 AM

Marilyn became a popular name in the 1920s but faded in the 50s when Marilyn Monroe was at the peak of popularity.

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2018 4:07 AM

Annette! That's another baby boomer one I don't see happening.

Susan was pretty big. Now, nothing.

Janice.

Jane is having a comeback. I know a 4 year old Jane. That's also a classic. It cuts across eras. The midcentury names, not so much.

Emma has been a staple. Sometimes it becomes very popular, sometimes not so much, but it's never out of tune. It's never been super era-specific, like a Nancy or, oh man, Dierdre!

Gary and Roger. But I do know a 40 year old Gary. Very conservative background though.

Robert is an old name that will probably ebb and flow. But in the midcentury, the nickname was Bob. Now it's fully Robert, or it's Rob, but not Bob.

What about Donald?

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2018 4:09 AM

Annabelle is COMPLETELY coming back. So is Annabella. However, I don't think of those as common midcentury names. I see Annabelle as more in the vein of 10-15 years ago, when all these wholesome farm type names were popular, like Molly. And yes, Fanny and Anna.

by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2018 4:11 AM

Doris

by Anonymousreply 59December 22, 2018 4:11 AM

Edith and Maisie are very aristo names. Bohemian. Edie Sedgwick, for example. It can be stuffy and grandma, or SO stuffy and grandma it loops around itself and becomes cool. Both of those names are of today.

Bertha, though, I can't see EVER reappearing. It had to have been horrid even in the era when people actually named their kids that.

Mary has made a comeback, but that's not really midcentury. It's nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 60December 22, 2018 4:13 AM

All it takes is one clever celebrity to revive the mid mod names. Charlie Sheen has come closest with his son “Bob.” Getting boring with all the Hazels and Phineases.

by Anonymousreply 61December 22, 2018 4:15 AM

A-HEM, R42.

by Anonymousreply 62December 22, 2018 4:16 AM

My mom was Edith. My dad had sisters named Myrtle and Edith. His brother's wife was also named Myrtle. Those are two names that are never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2018 4:17 AM

Edith has already come back. Edie. It's back.

Myrtle, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm not black, but I've noticed popular millennial names for black guys include Ryan, Patrick, Kevin, Colin and Kurt.

by Anonymousreply 64December 22, 2018 4:20 AM

Craig, Scott and Ken. You can almost see the teak finish and sharp angles they’re so mid century.

by Anonymousreply 65December 22, 2018 4:26 AM

I'm a middle school teacher and have had three girls named Annabelle in one class. Lots of girls named Bella, Ella, Angelica, Angelina..

I had one class of thirty students with four girls named Sophie.

Angela and Levi are still popular, though they were posted in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 66December 22, 2018 4:34 AM

Nell, Nellie, Ellen, and so many others come from Helen.

I had an aunt named Helena, pronounced he-leen-ah. People called her Nelly or Lena

by Anonymousreply 67December 22, 2018 4:40 AM

My niece named her daughter Evelyn.

by Anonymousreply 68December 22, 2018 4:41 AM

My cousins are twins. They are named Patricia and Leticia. I doubt them names will make a comeback anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 69December 22, 2018 4:48 AM

Connie will always be valid as long as we have Chinese immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 70December 22, 2018 5:32 AM

Ronald Roland Arnold

by Anonymousreply 71December 22, 2018 5:36 AM

My grandma's first name was Ruby but she preferred her "exotic" middle name which was Nadine. She pronounced it Nah-dean.

by Anonymousreply 72December 22, 2018 5:47 AM

[quote]Mary has made a comeback, but that's not really midcentury. It's nursing home.

Mary never left!

by Anonymousreply 73December 22, 2018 5:48 AM

If I were to pump out a kid just to start a name trend, I'd love to make old-timely 'Z' names happen - Zipporah or Zuleika.

by Anonymousreply 74December 22, 2018 5:55 AM

Do it, R74. May I also suggest Zerelda?

by Anonymousreply 75December 22, 2018 6:05 AM

Some of these posts are hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 76December 22, 2018 6:06 AM

I like Zelda.

by Anonymousreply 77December 22, 2018 6:10 AM

[quote] Elizabeth Taylor's British parents were probably influenced by that popularity when they chose it for their daughter.

Elizabeth Taylor's parents were American.

by Anonymousreply 78December 22, 2018 6:11 AM

Adolf is never coming back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 22, 2018 6:31 AM

[quote] But also popular then and mostly disappeared: Ira, Marvin, Melvin, Howie, Arnold, Harvey, Norman, Guy, Larry, Gary, Stuart and Stewart.and

This poster lived in East New York or Howard Beach.

by Anonymousreply 80December 22, 2018 6:39 AM

Some of the 'floral' names such as Poppy, Rose. Lily, Heather seem to have remained evergreen and in usage across the last century at least.

by Anonymousreply 81December 22, 2018 6:50 AM

An annoying example would be 19 year old Lily Rose Deep! Is Sophia as popular in the english speaking world, here in Spain it's become overly used and it's getting tiring.

I love Jeanette, Angelique and Ambrose.

by Anonymousreply 82December 22, 2018 7:24 AM

Excuse me?

[quote]Why did Ava, Cary, Clark and Lana not become popular names?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 22, 2018 8:53 AM

I was surprised at first hearing the names Bella & Celeste - they seem uniquely current yet still old-fashion to me.

by Anonymousreply 84December 22, 2018 9:09 AM

Horace and Clarence

by Anonymousreply 85December 22, 2018 9:19 AM

Shecky, Soupy, Lee Harvey, Sirhan Sirhan.

by Anonymousreply 86December 22, 2018 9:23 AM

Harvey will certainly NOT make a comeback

by Anonymousreply 87December 22, 2018 9:25 AM

R79, except among the alt-right, for whom it sadly seems all too popular a concept.

by Anonymousreply 88December 22, 2018 9:42 AM

Would be surprised to see Ruth, Mavis, Hilda, Gertrude, Enid, or Bessie make a comeback.

But I never expected to see Hazel, Mabel, Sophie, Florence or Hannah...

by Anonymousreply 89December 22, 2018 11:09 AM

Bruce seems like such an odd name.

For girls, I'm seeing Mary again in my classes and also Frances. They're both very pretty names.

by Anonymousreply 90December 22, 2018 11:10 AM

Ada, Flossie, Georgina, Marie

by Anonymousreply 91December 22, 2018 11:23 AM

I had a student named Bertha (nice pregnant Hispanic girl, heavily pregnant, really good student).

Arlene/Marlene/Darlene -- dead forever?

Norma

I wonder if Agnes will come back. Former "old lady" names like Olivia return.

Corneila? Hi, I named my child after the mother of the Gracchi. I just love those Stoic Roman matrons.

by Anonymousreply 92December 22, 2018 11:27 AM

Brenda

Gloria

by Anonymousreply 93December 22, 2018 11:43 AM

Sure about that r81?

by Anonymousreply 94December 22, 2018 12:30 PM

How about Maude and Leah? My great aunts.

Hilda is Germanic. Helen is a pretty name. Is that coming back?

by Anonymousreply 95December 22, 2018 12:41 PM

About the Royal Family: I know girls named Diana who were born in 1981 and 1997, respectively.

I have an American-born Filipino friend who named her daughter Camillia, but I think it was a family name. Didn't stop me from asking, "But what if the other kids call her 'the Rottweiler'?"

R95 in medieval times, Maude was a variant of Matilda. With the resurgence in popularity of Matilda, I've been hoping to see more Maudes too, but nope.

by Anonymousreply 96December 22, 2018 12:45 PM

Judy. There were a lot of girls named Judy growing up. My grandmother was named Ethel. My mother was named Audrey.... my father, Stanley. Audrey seems to still be used today. Down the road, these names could make a comeback.. who knows.

by Anonymousreply 97December 22, 2018 12:56 PM

My Dad worked with a lady named Minerva Texas Snodgrass.

by Anonymousreply 98December 22, 2018 12:59 PM

My grandparents were Ethel, Elmer, Eugene and Evelyn - all born before 1900.

by Anonymousreply 99December 22, 2018 1:00 PM

Nan

Darlene

Gary

Denny

by Anonymousreply 100December 22, 2018 1:10 PM

Erna, Muriel, Cristal.

Andy, Anderson, Ralph for men.

by Anonymousreply 101December 22, 2018 1:16 PM

Whitey.

by Anonymousreply 102December 22, 2018 1:18 PM

Jennifer was considered a fusty old maiden aunt name until Jennifer Jones' popularity in the 1940s. It became an enormously popular name for baby girls then and well into the 1950s, 60s and 70s. But is it no longer popular?

by Anonymousreply 103December 22, 2018 1:37 PM

Most Jennifers I know now prefer to be called Jen or Jenn.

by Anonymousreply 104December 22, 2018 1:38 PM

Over 100 posts and no one has mentioned CHERYL.

by Anonymousreply 105December 22, 2018 1:43 PM

Hepzibah

by Anonymousreply 106December 22, 2018 1:46 PM

Eleanor.

by Anonymousreply 107December 22, 2018 1:47 PM

I know two little girls named Eleanor

by Anonymousreply 108December 22, 2018 1:51 PM

I think they'll seem fresh, yet classic to the next generation of parents. The 50's aren't quite far enough away in history for current parents to feel they're pulling some grand name out of time. Today's Liams and Emmas will be the parents of tomorrow's Donnas, Bobbys and Karens.

by Anonymousreply 109December 22, 2018 1:53 PM

Eleanor and Helen used to be old lady names. My father had two cousins, sisters, named Eleanor and Helen. Are these names coming back? I used to call a bus that took one down the Magnificent Mile in Chicago the Eleanor bus if one took it during the day, because it was filled with old ladies going shopping downtown.

by Anonymousreply 110December 22, 2018 1:56 PM

Beulah's not coming back

by Anonymousreply 111December 22, 2018 3:05 PM

Anthony, pronounced Antony, is now quite popular. Don't ever call them Tony! Also, Alexander, Alex and Alec. Don't ever call them Al!!

Phillip, Peter and Paul have never gone out of style. Don't ever call them Phil, Pete or Pauly!!!

by Anonymousreply 112December 22, 2018 3:23 PM

Lucas Hedges will create a mania for Lucas, just wait and see.

Much like Tobey Maguire did for Tobeys and Jake Gyllenhaal did for Jakes.

by Anonymousreply 113December 22, 2018 3:25 PM

Kind of sick of Josh and Seth. Lots of those in their 30s now. Always thought Gary was a sexy name.

by Anonymousreply 114December 22, 2018 3:28 PM

Jennifer is a mom name now. I was born in 1979 and went to school with so many Sarahs, Amys, and Jennifers. Matthew and Jeremy for the boys.

by Anonymousreply 115December 22, 2018 3:40 PM

Marion, Barry, Trevor, Francis, Gloria, Lorraine, Sharon, Colin, Brian, Derrick.

by Anonymousreply 116December 22, 2018 4:25 PM

Lori was popular at my grade school back in the 60's (anyone know why?), but it seems to have been completely replaced by Laura.

I keep hoping Henry will make a comeback. Henrys always seem like decent fellows, reliable types you can depend on in a pinch.

by Anonymousreply 117December 22, 2018 4:38 PM

As a Richard who has been called Rich, Richie, Rick, Ricky, Dick, and Dickie, I have endeavored to introduce myself as Dick, but people are not inclined to call me that. Pity, I love Dick as a name for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it has become such an unpopular choice for a nickname. But the biggest reason for liking being called Dick is that my Dad died when I was relatively young, and I can still hear his voice called me Dickie.

by Anonymousreply 118December 22, 2018 4:41 PM

sorry for error above. should be "calling me Dickie."

by Anonymousreply 119December 22, 2018 4:45 PM

Speaking of names, why don't gays use nicknames? Straight guys can be Mike and Dave and Jeff, etc but gays are always Michael and David and Jeffrey, etc. Anybody got a semi serious answer for this?

by Anonymousreply 120December 22, 2018 4:57 PM

How did Bruce become a stereotyped gay name?

by Anonymousreply 121December 22, 2018 4:58 PM

I went to college in the 70's with this really hot blonde guy named "Dick." It was very weird even back then. Whenever you tried to call him Rick or Richie or whatever, he'd go "No man, call me Dick." Sadly, I never got to suck (all together now) Dick's dick.

by Anonymousreply 122December 22, 2018 5:02 PM

Benignity

Prudence

by Anonymousreply 123December 22, 2018 5:12 PM

I hope Stephen (not Steven) makes a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 124December 22, 2018 5:16 PM

Florence. Too bad, as Flo is such a fun nickname.

by Anonymousreply 125December 22, 2018 5:24 PM

My friend named her daughter, now age 6, Julie. Not a bad name, but I don't think it's used much these days.

by Anonymousreply 126December 22, 2018 5:28 PM

Julie has been replaced by Julia.

by Anonymousreply 127December 22, 2018 5:33 PM

[quote]Lois and Linda are still active late-middle-agers.

How are we defining “late-middle-agers?” I’m 50 and I’ve never met a Lois less than 20 years my senior.

by Anonymousreply 128December 22, 2018 5:37 PM

Cindy. Although, Cynthia is Ok.

by Anonymousreply 129December 22, 2018 6:11 PM

Cynthia always sounded like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 130December 22, 2018 6:13 PM

Matthew and Colin are still ridiculously popular.

by Anonymousreply 131December 22, 2018 6:43 PM

[quote]How did Bruce become a stereotyped gay name?

Bruce, Lance and Julian were the strongest names we had. And now they're just queer.

by Anonymousreply 132December 22, 2018 6:43 PM

Might be some cultural differences....Florence, Ada, Georgina and the flower names are not uncommon baby names in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 133December 22, 2018 6:57 PM

Cynthia was the archetypal rich bitch name in the 50s and 60s.

I always liked Pamela. There are very few Pammys around today.

by Anonymousreply 134December 22, 2018 7:02 PM

r105 I love the name Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 135December 22, 2018 7:11 PM

It STINKS r135.

by Anonymousreply 136December 22, 2018 7:16 PM

Does anyone still name their babies:

Betty

Veronica

Archie

Reggie

Jughead

Moose

Midge

by Anonymousreply 137December 22, 2018 8:42 PM

Gladys

Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 138December 22, 2018 9:14 PM

Paula

Gene

Elsie

Ena

Mavis

Lindsey

Eric

Percy

Robert

Mark

by Anonymousreply 139December 23, 2018 12:12 AM

R128 I know a 64 year old Lois. It's a pretty senior name, granted, but 64 is still "young old" not"anicent old".

by Anonymousreply 140December 23, 2018 12:53 AM

Knew so many Cheryls and Loris growing up. Can't picture these names coming back. Maybe some cherry picking, but some are gone forever, IMO, mostly because they didn't even exist prior to the mid-century. Where did Gary COME from, for example? Sure, Stephen will come back. It has been around for centuries. But names that just seemed to spring up from the 1940s-1960s sound weird and overly specific.

by Anonymousreply 141December 23, 2018 12:55 AM

Jughead’s real name was Forsythe Pendleton Jones III.

by Anonymousreply 142December 23, 2018 1:21 AM

R141 it’s common in both Scots and Irish Gaelic from at least the Middle Ages. The original spelling is Garaidgh but phonetically pronounced Gary. I only know this because it was my uncle’s name and he had a little wall hanging thing with the origins of each of his siblings and children’s names.

by Anonymousreply 143December 23, 2018 1:44 AM

Judd apatows daughter is named Maude. Also I know a millennial couple who named their young children Maude and Henry.

by Anonymousreply 144December 23, 2018 2:34 AM

My hair stylist in LA is English and even though she's lived in the US more than 30 years, her daughters (who are now college age) are named Lily, Maudie, and Lucy, which were not popular American names 20-25 years ago (still not--maybe Lucy is now?) but must have been quite popular in the UK at the time. So, yes, there's a big difference between English and American names IMO. I've never met an American named Fiona or Reg(inald) for example. I think Reg must be very old-fashioned over there (or is it making a comeback in the toddler set?). Arabella--that's another non-American name.

by Anonymousreply 145December 23, 2018 3:00 AM

And Gail....who would ever name a baby girl Gail (or Gale) now? What were they thinking back then? What was appealing about that name which was very popular in the 1940s and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 146December 23, 2018 3:08 AM

Most Patricks that I know who are in their 20s and 30s are nicknamed Paddy and seem to like it, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 147December 23, 2018 3:10 AM

I've met several 20-something Patricks just recently (both Asian). One was called Pat and the other Patrick. Never heard of a guy called Paddy (except in old Irish movies).

by Anonymousreply 148December 23, 2018 3:22 AM

Lots of Shakespeare heroines' names have recently become very popular again. Clearly this is a trend:

Juliet

Portia

Miranda

Hermione

Celia

Emilia

Julia

Jessica

Kate and Katherine

Beatrice

Imogen

Olivia

Viola

Isabella

Mariana

Bianca

Cressida

Phoebe

Charmian

Maria (pronounced Mariah)

But no Ophelia, Gertrude or Desdemona. Perhaps they're simply too tragic by connotation.

And though Regan and Cordelia have become popular names for girls, I've never met a Goneril.

by Anonymousreply 149December 23, 2018 3:29 AM

Eugene

Mabel

by Anonymousreply 150December 23, 2018 3:33 AM

Where have all the Chucks, Chets, Charlenes, Wendys, Cindys, Randys, Bobbies, Billys and Brendas gone?

by Anonymousreply 151December 23, 2018 3:47 AM

Guys named Chick, Ellis, Cletus.

by Anonymousreply 152December 23, 2018 3:54 AM

Zooey Deschanel named her daughter Elsie

by Anonymousreply 153December 23, 2018 4:13 AM

WHET the name Kelly?! Graduated HS in the 80's and there were a zillion girls named Kelly. Also, Michelle! I wonder if they will ever make a comeback??

A name I'm seeing recently a lot of is Natalie.

The absolute most hideous name I think in the history of girl's names is Addison, I hope it phases out soon and never comes back.

by Anonymousreply 154December 23, 2018 4:20 AM

R139. Ena! I work with an Ena and a Dyan. They share an office right next to me and they are both constantly having to spell their names when calling people. I had a great grandfather that was named Heber Reginald and he was born in the US but his parents were British.

R120. I know 2 gay guys that go by Dave and a Jeff.

But do any of you know of 1st gen Asians who name their kid a nickname AS the name? I know several. Danny, Billy, Sam. NOT Daniel, William or Samuel. What's up with that? The Billy was a second son of an American (white) guy and a Thai woman. The older son was named Christian. He didn't introduce himself as Chris because "My parents named me Christian, not Chris". Everybody called him Chris (including me)

by Anonymousreply 155December 23, 2018 4:34 AM

Norma is gone for good.

by Anonymousreply 156December 23, 2018 4:37 AM

^ And so is Norman

by Anonymousreply 157December 23, 2018 4:41 AM

My name is Greg (Gregory) and this was a relatively popular name for boys born in the 40s and 50s until about 1970 or so. (Always in the top #25 during those years) Now you never meet a child named Greg. There's a website called babycenter which will chart a name's popularity over the years . Currently Gregory is down to the #534 in popularity - which means that no one is naming a child Greg. I have to think that since Gregory Peck was a major movie star in the 50s, lots of baby boys were named after him. Really old-fashioned boy's names, like Ethan, Henry, and Spencer became popular again about 25 years ago. The long uncommon Biblical boys' names became popular when evangelical Christianity and Christian homeschooling emerged as a force in American politics and consciousness, in the 80s. Now they are fading fast. No one wants to be saddled with Hezekiah for life.

by Anonymousreply 158December 23, 2018 4:46 AM

Gwyneth owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 159December 23, 2018 4:52 AM

The popularity of Ronald Reagan (barf) didn’t lead to a swarm of baby Ronnies in the 80s, thank God. That’s my name (Ron) but I’m a Jr. and my dad was given it by my grandmother after Ronald Colman, a 1930s movie star. I don’t see my name making a comeback.

Lindsey as girls name must have been popular in the 80s as I’ve worked with a few 80s born women with that name.

by Anonymousreply 160December 23, 2018 5:25 AM

Any African American care to chime in? What about the Shaniquas and D'Shawns of today?

by Anonymousreply 161December 23, 2018 5:32 AM

I had a boyfriend named Ebenezer, called Eben, in the 1990s. Born in '73.

by Anonymousreply 162December 23, 2018 5:58 AM

Cut or uncut, r162?

by Anonymousreply 163December 23, 2018 6:02 AM

Avril

Leonora

Leonard

Gavin

Tracy

Kevin

by Anonymousreply 164December 23, 2018 11:46 AM

In time, every name will make a come back.

by Anonymousreply 165December 23, 2018 12:26 PM

[quote]That’s my name (Ron) but I’m a Jr. and my dad was given it by my grandmother after Ronald Colman, a 1930s movie star. I don’t see my name making a comeback.

Colman's wife was named Benita, and I always thought that was a charming name. I wish it would catch on.

by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2018 12:41 PM

Benita is very pretty, I wonder if it was adversely affected by association with the male version Benito because of Mussolini.

by Anonymousreply 167December 23, 2018 1:20 PM

Leopold

Geraldine

Bernard

Irene

Ivor

Amelia

Isabelle or Isobel

Oliver

Elmo

All names in my family tree - not names you hear today really at all.

by Anonymousreply 168December 23, 2018 1:23 PM

Loads of Amelias, Isabels and Olivers in the UK; in fact, Oliver is in the top 3 I think.

by Anonymousreply 169December 23, 2018 1:31 PM

Have we mentioned Eileen? That was a hugely popular name in the late 1940s/1950s. Also, Ilene if the family was Jewish.

As was Kathleen, which I think back then was more popular (and seemed more girlish) than Katherine.

by Anonymousreply 170December 23, 2018 1:34 PM

I'm 47 and there are tons of Davids, Alans, Scotts, Kevins, Marks, Jays, Chrises, Gregs, Glenns and Craigs my age. I never hear of those for young boys these days.

Sam, Henry and Max seem to have made a comeback.

Now parents want their kids to have a first name that sounds like a family tree surname, when it's totally not. Why name your child McKinley or Tucker when you have zero ancestral connection to them?

by Anonymousreply 171December 23, 2018 1:36 PM

I have a British acquaintance with a toddler named Jemimah. Another name you'll never hear in the US again.

by Anonymousreply 172December 23, 2018 1:51 PM

Isabelle and Sophia have become too popular. That's why parents have moved on to names like Hazel and Evelyn.

by Anonymousreply 173December 23, 2018 1:57 PM

Harold and Maude (good movie)... still good names. I like the old fashioned, more traditional names.

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2018 2:00 PM

Abcde... a new favorite...

by Anonymousreply 175December 23, 2018 2:00 PM

My great-grandparents named all their children with family names. The first names were all from ancestors, and their middle names were all the last names of maternal ancestors. The last males with those last names were born in the 1700s, so it makes me curious what they were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 176December 23, 2018 2:09 PM

R176 We must be apples from the same tree because I have some of the same old Puritan names in my family that you have listed above, Yankee.

I've found people today are sometimes surprised over the names chosen in the 1600's because they always expect them to be strictly biblical but virtue word name trends were big at the time, as were word names like "Remember" and "Messenger".

by Anonymousreply 177December 23, 2018 2:22 PM

R164 Kevin and Gavin are very still very popular names

by Anonymousreply 178December 23, 2018 6:34 PM

All these whacky, offbeat names nowadays started with Madison, Tiffany, Noah and Jacob (all horrible names) either being new or resurging a generation ago.

by Anonymousreply 179December 23, 2018 7:39 PM

There are no more Carlas. I haven't seen Jean in a very long time. Interestingly, I've seen several girls with the name Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 180December 23, 2018 8:47 PM

R179, Noah and Jacob are ancient names, not "new" or wacky

by Anonymousreply 181December 23, 2018 9:36 PM

No Ivy and also no more Holly.

Other once popular cast-off names (that I don't think have been mentioned): Melanie, Melody, Rochelle, Joanne, Patricia, Louise, Allison, Sandra, Miriam, Esther, Paula, Gwen, Rita, Susannah, Darlene, Doreen, Gretchen and Mercedes.

by Anonymousreply 182December 23, 2018 9:58 PM

What about those fabulous names of the Goodson/Todman game show panelists:

Arlene

Dorothy

Kitty

Peggy

Polly

Betsy

Bess

Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 183December 23, 2018 10:00 PM

I think Ivy is already on its way back r182. Holly is too middle-aged right now though.

by Anonymousreply 184December 23, 2018 10:05 PM

Marcia/Marsha

Jan/Janet/Janice

Monica

Maryanne

Laurie

Joan

Sally

Joanne

Carol

Shirley

Maureen

by Anonymousreply 185December 23, 2018 10:14 PM

There's a whole generation of young girls named Gwen because of Gwen Stefani.

by Anonymousreply 186December 23, 2018 10:28 PM

"Kind of sick of Josh and Seth. Lots of those in their 30s now."

Yep, all born in the late 1980s when As the World Turns was in its glory days. Surprised there aren't more Holdens, though.

Speaking of which, I always thought of "Emily" as an old lady name until this little minx came along:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187December 24, 2018 12:03 AM

Some names in my family tree: Rose, Queenie, Ebenezer, Jupiter, Royal, Percival, Sarah, Walter, Arthur, Herbert....

by Anonymousreply 188December 24, 2018 2:19 AM

R181. Yes, I know Noah and Jacob are ancient names. That's why I said names such as those had a resurgence in popularity. But they're horrible names. And it was names such as those that contributed to today's trend of offbeat, unappealing, whacky and just plain awful names. Sorry, but I hate the names Noah, Jacob and Joshua. Old, biblical, awful Jewish names that became mainstream. I hope they fade away soon and never return.

by Anonymousreply 189December 24, 2018 2:28 AM

Kathleen was a status marker for being Catholic and usually Irish rather than the WASPy Katherine (or worse, Katharine).

Marsha/Marcia was more warbaby early boomer than anyone who is pre social security now. Jane, Carol, Audrey, Joan,--those were ven older names.

Anne, Mary (too old school Catholic), Linda, Patricia, Donna, and Susan all seem to be gone. Dttto: Tim, Tom, Joe, (more Catholic stuff), Steve, Bruce (doomed to be gay), Peter, and Paul

There seem to be limits to the old lady names: Hortense, Clara, Esther, Bertha and Ethel don't seem to be coming back anytime soon and I have my doubts about Agnes (my mother's name, she hated it). Even the more benign Sally, Marie, Lurene, Louise, and Rosiland. Fanny seems to have come and gone (and really should never come back--one of my grandmothers had that name and hated it). OTOH, Jemima seems to have come back via the UK. I have ancestor neamed Jemima--we always pictured her with a head scarf and pancakes.

Some of those awful Gaelic Irish names seem to have crossed over like Sioban. A simple, classic Mary or Kathleen would be fine.

Thankfully, Midge and Madge have gone back where they came from.

by Anonymousreply 190December 24, 2018 4:06 AM

Eloise should make a comeback

by Anonymousreply 191December 24, 2018 4:17 AM

I have a ten year old niece named Holly and my sister says there are three others in her grade. Eve and Eva are popular in that age group too.

by Anonymousreply 192December 24, 2018 5:07 AM

Michelle was always a cool name (someone mentioned) but if a girl was born in the 70's, it was a high possibility that it was their middle name.

I have a family member named Juliette, not common, but interesting. I have a friend that named her daughter Enid.

It seems so many hipster type parents look for quirky older names, though, so who knows?

by Anonymousreply 193December 24, 2018 5:37 AM

Eunice, Dinah, Eudora, Lorraine, Maxine, Virginia

However, I do know two teenage girls named Alma and Helen.

by Anonymousreply 194December 24, 2018 5:39 AM

If I were going to name a child, I would go to one of the baby name sites and choose a name that had been in the top ten for the last hundred years - Robert, Charles, James - or at least the top 20. Or maybe choose a foreign name. In Germany, for example, Italian or French names are often chosen. To me, they sound odd with German surnames, but a name like André or Dominique might be a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 195December 24, 2018 5:43 AM

Penny, Barbara, Carol, Shelley, Donna, Anne, Paul, Russell, Thomas, Ralph, Jerry—many midcentury names.

by Anonymousreply 196December 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Elaine

by Anonymousreply 197December 24, 2018 6:00 AM

Mark, Gary, Walter

by Anonymousreply 198December 24, 2018 6:04 AM

Jamima was come in the early 20th century, then it was dropped.

by Anonymousreply 199December 24, 2018 6:29 AM

Hortense.

by Anonymousreply 200December 24, 2018 6:59 AM

Penny is back in style. I know 2 people who recently named their babies Penelope and call them Penny

by Anonymousreply 201December 24, 2018 7:01 AM

Gary was a classic warbaby/early boomer name that dropped out of sight. Walter is an old guy name--the equivalent almost of Ethel, et al. Penny has never gone away but it's never been that popular. The girl in my class who would have been considered the ugliest was named Penny--OTOH, she was the actual winner of our homecoming vote! We could have had a dress rehersal of "Carrie" if someone had been honest and had a sense of humor, as well.

by Anonymousreply 202December 24, 2018 1:12 PM

Randy

by Anonymousreply 203December 24, 2018 1:13 PM

R202, I know someone who recently named their baby Walter. Wally is a hideous nickname, to boot.

Sheldon is another awful one, but I wonder if it has become more popular since the Big Bang Theory aired?

by Anonymousreply 204December 24, 2018 1:18 PM

Horace

Elmer

Rufus

by Anonymousreply 205December 24, 2018 1:33 PM

Michelle was a hugely popular in the late 60s/early 70s because of the Beatles song. What disappeared was Shelley as a nickname for Michelle.

What are other girl names that were popularized by Top 10 songs of the 50s/60s/70s that are no longer in vogue?

by Anonymousreply 206December 24, 2018 1:49 PM

Melissa

by Anonymousreply 207December 24, 2018 2:23 PM

Marissa

by Anonymousreply 208December 24, 2018 2:25 PM

R206 Kelly? There was a syrupy song of that name.

by Anonymousreply 209December 24, 2018 2:27 PM

Michelle, sometimes with one l was popular long before the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 210December 24, 2018 2:57 PM

Is Karen dead?

by Anonymousreply 211December 24, 2018 3:55 PM

I sincerely hope so r211, she was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 212December 24, 2018 4:13 PM

Martha

by Anonymousreply 213December 24, 2018 4:40 PM

Lois. Florence. Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 214December 24, 2018 6:28 PM

Nora, Myra, Ginger, Oona, Claudia and Myrna haven't made a comeback since the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 215December 24, 2018 6:45 PM

Stacy

Amber

Danielle

Lisa

by Anonymousreply 216December 24, 2018 6:54 PM

How about month names for girls? Are they dead? April, May, June--April was popular in the 40s and 50s. May and June were popular in the pre-war set. I can't imagine anyone ever naming their kid May these days or June for that matter. Of course, January (Jones) comes to mind, but she must be the only one and I can't imagine she started a trend.

by Anonymousreply 217December 24, 2018 7:17 PM

Adolf, Idk why either its such a nice name.

by Anonymousreply 218December 24, 2018 7:23 PM

Names probably skip generations because most humans are nasty and nobody wants to name their kid after their awful mother, pervert uncle, weird aunt... or the kid that bullied them or some ugly girl in their class or some nasty boss or co worker. Every generation must make new names for their kids or they can pick names of a generation that died before they got to know them.

They will think of a common name and some awful, fat, ugly, gross or abusive person that they have known will pop up. I think James and meh some freakisly tall kid I knew in highschool pops up not a bad guy but I would'nt want to name my kid after him. Brendan nope reminds me of a fat kid that I went to school with that always smelled like socks. Mary was a fat girl that I knew, Cheryl nope datalounge ruined that name for me it reminds me of stinky pussies, Karen nope that was the name of my weird spinster aunt who grew her hair down to her knees and never cut her finger nails. Dave nope that was the name of my creepy neighbor.......

Trying to pick out a common name that doesn't remind you of someone gross is extremely difficult! Your partner will also have to agree with you on a name. How about Joseph? Ewww I had an abusive ex named no sorry not that one. Steve??? Eww no that reminds me of a guy in my dorm at college that everyone called skeve because he never took a shower and had major BO..........

by Anonymousreply 219December 24, 2018 7:24 PM

And certainly no one is naming their little boy August.

Though I have encountered a little Julius recently.

by Anonymousreply 220December 24, 2018 7:24 PM

All the flower names from Downton Abbey:

Rose

Daisy

Ivy

Violet (Jen Garner did however name her daughter this I believe...)

by Anonymousreply 221December 24, 2018 7:25 PM

Rhonda

Rhoda

Rona

Risa

Rina

All gone!

by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2018 7:26 PM

Iris

by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2018 7:27 PM

Ha, ha, some of you obviously don't know anyone of Caribbean ancestry.

One of the Analysts at my firm was named Bancroft. I also know a Jasper, Trixie, Hyacinth, Ainsley, Onslowe, Winslow and Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 224December 24, 2018 7:37 PM

These were the top names given to American boys in 2018........Liam, Noah, Elijah, Logan, Mason, James, Aiden, Ethan, Lucas and Jacob

Such ugly and previously uncommon names for a good reason.....

Why such ugly names??? I'lll tell you why... The parents all probably know some disgusting guys named Michael, William, David, Matthew, Brendan, Daniel etc.... Every generation makes uncommon names common because the common names remind them of disgusting humans they know.

The cycle will repeat itself.......people in the future will hear the names .Liam, Noah, Elijah, Logan, Mason, James, Aiden, Ethan, Lucas and Jacob and they will be reminded of some very disgusting humans and those names will die out until the people that remember those awful people die. Then a new generation who has never known anybody with those names will start naming their kids those names again.

by Anonymousreply 225December 24, 2018 7:45 PM

I fucking hate the names Noah, Elijah and Jacob. Old damn Jews.

by Anonymousreply 226December 24, 2018 8:16 PM

[quote]Among the pre-k and grade school set, I know three Hazels, two Mildreds, an Eleanor and an Agnes.

Hazel you could make work, because of the pretty eye color. Eleanor is stuffy but alright-ish, even though you'd be called Ella-snore.

Agnes and especially Mildred need to be erased from all recorded history.

by Anonymousreply 227December 24, 2018 8:42 PM

Lilith is pretty cool. Was everyone afraid of actually using it in real life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228December 24, 2018 8:47 PM

[quote]r31 Will "Bernadette" ever make a comeback?

Maybe with kooky Catholics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229December 24, 2018 8:54 PM

[quote]r32 And did you happen to read my post upthread about Ava, Lana and Clark as well as Cary? It's a mystery!

Neither Ava Gardner or Lana Turner had particularly wholesome image. They basically played party girl strumpets.

It's kind of like naming an infant Desiree ... somewhat icky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 24, 2018 9:01 PM

Polly is a truly wretched name.

by Anonymousreply 231December 24, 2018 9:04 PM

[quote]r103 Jennifer was considered a fusty old maiden aunt name until Jennifer Jones' popularity in the 1940s. It became an enormously popular name for baby girls then and well into the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

It then really zoomed into popularity from Ali MacGraw's character in LOVE STORY (1970). [italic]Everyone[/italic] saw that movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 24, 2018 9:15 PM

June was not popular in the 50s and 60s. It conjured up June Cleaver.

by Anonymousreply 233December 24, 2018 9:52 PM

Harriet is over.

by Anonymousreply 234December 24, 2018 10:37 PM

I was a child of the 1950s and thought it was my curse to have been given the name Rex. Everyone during that time had a dog named Rex. I was not amused. So when we moved across town when I was in fourth grade, I started going by Rick. (Sounds like Rex, but isn't quite). All went well, and I remained Rick until college, when I slipped back into Rex. Now I enjoy the name. In my life, I've only met maybe three or four other Rexes. It's a short name, it's unique, you don't have to spell it, and when a restaurant hostess calls your name you can hear it because of the X at the end. A new family just moved onto my block, and they have a baby who's about 6 months old. His name is Rex. I was amazed.

I don't see the name Rex ever becoming popular (not that it ever was), but it would be nice if it did. And people also don't name their dogs Rex any more, so it's okay to give the name to a baby.

by Anonymousreply 235December 24, 2018 10:41 PM

[quote]r234 Harriet is over.

FUCK you, beyotch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 24, 2018 11:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!