Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British Actors Who Can't Do the American Accent

Felicity Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2019 9:59 AM

I've seen the trailer for this about four times and it gets worse with each viewing. The RBG documentary was so good I just don't see this succeeding.

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2018 2:27 AM

I really like Richard Amitage, but his American accent needs a lot of work.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2018 2:32 AM

Hannah Ware played the daughter in Kelsey Grammer’s show boss. Her accent was all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2018 2:38 AM

Benedict Cumberbatch struggles with his American accent. He has gotten better, but even during his Dr. Strange movie his accent slips several times.

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2018 2:38 AM

I don't think she's terrible, but the accent isn't very good or convincing. She's playing a mid-century Jewish woman, born in Brooklyn to Russian immigrant parents, who was brainy enough to attend Columbia and then Harvard Law. Think of all those influences in a young RBG's life.

Given all that, Jones sounds a little generic and impersonal, and made-for-TV movie. Adequate, but not compelling.

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2018 2:43 AM

Woody Allen FIRED Emily Lloyd from the film "Husbands & Wives" because she couldn't master an American accent

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2018 2:46 AM

I'm glad people are coming to the realization that the Brits are not all masters of the American accent. Too many slip up, but Americans are often too nice/polite to point it out and will give them breaks. But if it was the other way around, you'd never hear the end of it from Brits that Americans suck at accents. Stop casting Brits as Americans who can sort of do the accent. It's distracting.

That said, agreed about Cumberbatch I've noticed that the Brits have a hard time saying things like 'anything.' It usually comes out as 'eh-nuh-thing' instead of 'eh-NEE-thing.' Also, they struggle with words like 'secretary' and 'extraordinary.'

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2018 2:54 AM

Daniel Craig. Watching Lara Crift right now and he waffles between about ten different American accents. Also he slips into Brit at times.

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2018 3:02 AM

Andrew Lincoln - "Corrrraaaallll!!!"

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2018 3:03 AM

Gerard Butler is technically a Scotsman (with some Irish origins). But he remains one of the worst in his inability to 1) do a convincing accent, American or otherwise, and 2) to remain in that accent for the length of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2018 3:06 AM

The reverse is much more common. I am baffled by all the people saying Anne H. should have been the new Mary Poppins. She couldn't have done a convincing British accent to save her life.

See Laura Benanti and Kelli O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 11December 20, 2018 3:12 AM

R11 more common according to whom? Like I said, Americans tend to let bad American accents from Brits pass, which gives the impression that they're all/mostly good, whereas Brits are more critical of Americans, which gives the impression that Americans never come close.

by Anonymousreply 12December 20, 2018 3:18 AM

[quote]Brits are more critical of Americans, which gives the impression that Americans never come close.

They don't. Name some that did.

by Anonymousreply 13December 20, 2018 3:32 AM

Branagh can. The rest cannot.

by Anonymousreply 14December 20, 2018 3:38 AM

Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson aren’t convincing. They come off self conscious about their R’s which sound overly hard.

by Anonymousreply 15December 20, 2018 3:40 AM

There is a now classic gangster movie filled with Brits trying to do American accents, with hilariously awful results: NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH (48). It's on DVD.

Happily, most British actors can do better now.

by Anonymousreply 16December 20, 2018 3:46 AM

The rain in Spain falls mainly on Plain Jane.

by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2018 10:34 AM

I know Kidman is Australian but most of her accents, regardless of what they are suck. In Moulin Rouge she was in and out of nearly every accent on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 18December 20, 2018 11:07 AM

I was impressed with Kelly Macdonald in No Country for Old Men. Did a southern accent almost perfectly. I was surprised to learn that she's from Glasgooooooow.

by Anonymousreply 19December 20, 2018 11:13 AM

Joanne Froggart.

by Anonymousreply 20December 20, 2018 11:19 AM

How about those who can?

Riz Ahmed is amazing, his Naz Khan character in THE NIGHT OF sounded exactly like a South Asian Queens born working class guy. He spoke in the Naz accent even off set, for the full 8 month shoot That would explain why the accent was perfect.

One the other hand, his American accent in Jason Bourne, as a tech CEO, was awful. His surfer dude from Detroit accent in GIRLS was not a Detroit accent, he sounded more like a California Valley Guy.

He's excellent with UK regional accents.

by Anonymousreply 21December 20, 2018 11:32 AM

Matt Smith - saw him in Patient Zero. He can’t sustain the accent and doesn’t come off as American at all.

by Anonymousreply 22December 20, 2018 11:33 AM

James McAvoy. Terrible in both Wanted and Split.

Two of the girls in Gypsy on Netflix are British but nailed their American accents. Lucy Boyton and Melanie something who played Alexis .

I think some of them are too classically trained and posh to pull of anything else.

by Anonymousreply 23December 20, 2018 12:12 PM

Tom Wilkinson. His American accent was brilliant in In the Bedroom but than as he appeared in more American films he pretty much sounded the same. He can do a 'general American' accent fine but I imagine to local American ears he may not sound that convincing in some films that require a specific regional accent.

by Anonymousreply 24December 20, 2018 12:15 PM

Jude Law fails miserably every time.

Matthew Rhys on The Americans has the most perfect American accent I’ve heard on a Brit. I believe he’s Welsh. There is not one trace of “foreign” in that.

by Anonymousreply 25December 20, 2018 12:29 PM

Charlie Hunnam too.

by Anonymousreply 26December 20, 2018 5:38 PM

Yes, Rhys is excellent. R25

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2019 9:36 PM

Yes, Matthew Rhys and Allyson Wright can do impecable American accents, and there are others too. But why would anyone cast a Brit as RBG!?!? They can't find ANYONE to play it over here? I find it insulting.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2019 9:49 PM

Australian accent too.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2019 9:59 PM

Claire Foy

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2019 6:30 AM

Southern Accents are supposedly easier for the British to do than other American accents.

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2019 6:32 AM

[quote] Branagh can. The rest cannot.

Branagh couldn't at first. He was awful in "Dead Again" with his cheesy Jimmy Cagney imitation.

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2019 6:33 AM

Emma Thompson has never been able to do it correctly.

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2019 6:34 AM

Yes Riz Ahmed's accent is good, I will give the Riz troll that. And as a further gesture of goodwill, here is a charming photo of Riz in his convertible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2019 6:38 AM

[quote] Name some that did.

Renee Zellweger in "Bridget Jones' Diary"

Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady"

Gwyneth Paltrow in "Shakespeare in Love"

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2019 6:38 AM

Although not British - Nicole Kidman deserves to be any list of other nationalities who can't do American accents. She's so bad at it. In fact, isn't she American by birth? Not a very good one...

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2019 6:46 AM

Kidman's accent was excellent in To Die For

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2019 6:50 AM

Kidman was born in Hawaii, yes, R36.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2019 6:51 AM

Russell Crowe does a good American accent.

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2019 7:02 AM

r30, to be fair, Foy has Down Syndrome eyes.

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2019 7:22 AM

R18, I think you are wrong about Kidman, my sister was completely surprised to find out she was Australian or rather raised there and had an accent. As she is American also.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2019 7:41 AM

I thought Mark Addy did a perfect American accent on Still Standing. He is from York, England and at first I didn't know he was British, never for one second suspected, until I read somewhere that he is English. Then I saw him in his most famous movie The Full Monty and some other movies and heard his British (I prefer the term English) accent and was amazed at how good his American accent is on Still Standing where he played a native of Chicago opposite Jami Gertz, who really is from Chicago and has the accent to prove it. Then Mark did his role on Game of Thrones as the King and his accent was very British sounding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2019 8:47 AM

Charlie Hunnam's accent is the worst. I saw him in Triple Frontier recently and had to wonder why they just didn't write it into the script that he was British somehow.

I had no idea for years that Alison Wright of The Americans was British until I saw her in Sneaky Pete with her natural Geordie/Mackem accent. She's very good.

To reverse it, I thought Bridget Fonda was raised British after seeing her in Scandal, her accent's so good. I kinda knew who she was because of the surname but assumed she'd gone to an English boarding school or something. Admittedly I was pretty young and this was pre-internet.

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2019 8:58 AM

R37 I was about to write the same, Kidman's accent wasn't at all bad in that movie. I feel like it's the only role she's done in which I've actually liked her, her ice queen persona was put to good use there.

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2019 9:19 AM

Emma Watson

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2019 9:26 AM

Henry Cavill was a mess in that Daylight movie. He was ok as Superman?? Or maybe I was too distracted by his abs lol

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2019 9:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!