Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flower bulbs in the garden

I planted 250 daffodil bulbs and about 300 grape hyacinth (muscari) bulbs in my garden this past Fall. I chose Ice Follies for the daffodils (pictured) because they supposedly naturalize beautifully.

What other bulbs have you enjoyed planing with success, and where is your garden located?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 16, 2018 3:21 PM

Bluebonnets in Texas.

I like your name.

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2018 4:08 AM

550 bulbs total? That was one hell of a time commitment.

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2018 4:09 AM

I planted bulbs and RATS ate them. Not one damn tulip. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2018 4:21 AM

OP, did you order you bulbs online or buy them locally?

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2018 4:42 AM

The grape hyacinths will last forever and multiply until they have swallowed up your house. The daffodils, on the other hand, will all be gone within 5 years. Half will fail to emerge this spring, and the rest will die slow lingering deaths over the remaining 5 years. Where I live, certain tulips live forever, and the squirrels kindly dig them up and plant them everywhere. I have never planted one, and my backyard "wild garden" is overrun with them every spring. Red, yellow, and orange. The fancier colors with extra tall stems or exotic colors or fringed petals will die out after 2-3 years. In my experience, daffodils are not nearly as permanent as the brochures always promise. There is this though:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2018 4:49 AM

Very pretty, OP. I've planted Amaryllis before down here in Houston. They naturalize, coming back year after year without any attention. My grandmother always planted bearded irises in her sideyard, which I loved. She was a great gardener.

I'm in an apartment now, so I'm sticking to annuals I grow from seed out on the balcony.

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2018 5:23 AM

R4, I ordered my bulbs from Van Engelen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2018 12:56 PM

Thanks, OP — nice website. I like all the specific search features.

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2018 1:20 PM

Van Engelen is who Martha Stewart uses for her Spring bulbs, so I thought the quality must be very high. We'll see soon enough!

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2018 1:37 PM

I bought these Florentine Silk irises from Lowe’s - cheap and glorious. When they bloom in early spring, it looks like I actually know what I am doing in the garden :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2018 1:45 PM

Irises are next for me, R10! I was just looking at varieties last night online. I didn't realize, though, that they're best planted in late Summer/early Fall, so I marked my calendar for the summer to buy my rhizomes.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2018 1:48 PM

R11, iris is the most forgiving.

If you can give them a shallow bed and good sun, try them out.

Please remember to segregate the purple. It plays with hybrids because it’s extra slutty.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2018 2:25 PM

Surprise Lilies. My mother's yard has them and I remember as a kid I just thought the stalks/foliage that came up in Spring were just old, non-productive daffodils. Then in August would be the pale pink flowers. It took me decades to realize it was the same plant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2018 2:33 PM

In the South, no yard is complete without some spider lily bulbs suddenly bursting forth every Fall:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2018 2:35 PM

Glad you love flowers like I do. You're making the world a more beautiful place.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2018 2:38 PM

This Fall I planted more Tulip bulbs (my favorite flower) in my gardens like I do every year. But I have to cover them up so that the squirrels don't dig them up and carry them away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2018 2:41 PM

RE: tulips, for me I prefer color massing versus speckled variety. I know it sounds "corporate" but just the way I prefer them. Like the fields in Netherlands at bloom time

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2018 2:44 PM

I grew up near a huge lot where three old mansions had been torn down, and just left abandoned for years. Wild irises were everywhere, or maybe they were planted many years before the homes were abandoned, but they were everywhere year after year. It made me think they didn't need much tending to thrive. To me they are the most beautiful flower.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2018 3:24 PM

I'm a fan of species Tulips. Less steroidal and they bloom for years in well drained soil. I use mine at the edges of gravel paths/small accents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2018 3:39 PM

Over the years, I've planted daffodils in my front and back gardens. I planted crocuses, but the flowers are eaten by deer or rabbits. I've also planted alliums, but either the soil was too wet (soggy part of the yard), or voles have eaten the bulbs. This year, I got more allium bulbs, and decided to try a bulb basket.. to protect from voles . I have a very large planter, which I planted daffodil bulbs. The daffodils are successful.. no problem, the other bulbs not so much. I keep trying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2018 4:20 PM

R14, that's a great idea. I live in the South and will order some red spider lilies immediately!

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2018 5:30 PM

For you, r21:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2018 6:35 PM

I already ordered some, R22! I wasn't joking about "immediately". :)

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2018 7:27 PM

r23 -- OIC

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2018 7:32 PM

Some daffodils that my grandparents planted about 120 years ago have naturalized an entire hillside facing the old house so the area must suit them. This is on a ranch in southern BC. Deer will eat every grape hyacinth, tulip and crocus in my garden on the west coast of Canada but daffodils and allium are left alone. To protect freshly planted bulbs I sprinkle cayenne pepper which keeps the squirrels away. Sometimes use chicken wire to lay over new bulbs and under the earth.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2018 7:50 PM

One year I thought I'd naturalize some bulbs in my front parking strip. In late October I got out the bulb digger and down went crocus and glory of the snow (Chionodoxa), tulips, etc. The squirrels were right behind be trying to dig up every bulb. I heard that moth balls would confuse/deter them, so I laid some down. Eventually we had cold weather and the ground froze so all was good. Come spring and the foliage started to come up. In late February/early March the crocus started to bloom, and again the squirrels would come along and eat the newly opening flowers. So I laid down chicken wire over each patch of bulbs. It was my own little crocus Auschwitz and about as attractive. I had to snatch a nasty smelling moth ball out of a passing school child's mouth who thought they were easter eggs!. Then one bright sunny day, I had a friend visiting my second story living room and I was telling her the sad story of my bulbs, which by now were half done, but still pretty glorious. Along came another school child and without a thought that anyone might object, she began picking every last flower. As my friend and I started laughing, she heard us through the window, and dashed off, flinging her (my) bouquet hither and yon in her haste.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2018 8:04 PM

Great story, R26. It reminds me of a time when my little friend and I decided to have a Luau in my kiddie pool, and picked every flower off my mother's roses, petunias and other plans and floated them in the kiddie pool. We of course didn't know or care that she had a wedding shower scheduled at our house that coming weekend and had planted the flowers so they'd look pretty for the shower. Alas, that did not come to pass for her.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2018 8:18 PM

A lot of my daffodils are duds. They have strong, beautiful, healthy stems & leaves but don’t flower.

I never planted tulips because I heard from others that squirrels and rodents love them & eat them up like candy.

I have grape hyacinths and they kind of annoy me. They have ugly leaves starting about October that get all snarled & knotty over the winter and they don’t flower the same time as the daffodils. The small blooms don’t make up for the messy ground leaves.

I was going to plant allium near my swamp milkweed to deter aphids, but by the time I received them, the ground was frozen.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2018 8:39 PM

Upstate New York. A good climate for bulbs. Snowdrops always come up first in late winter/early spring. A trick is to mix up different varieties of early, mid-summer, and late blooming tulips, so you have a longer display..

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2018 8:58 PM

What are some other more unusual bulbs that are easy to grow, like spider lilies?

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2018 11:04 PM

Look for Oxblood Lilies, r20

Indestructible.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2018 11:13 PM

Thank you R31. They are beautiful (googled it).

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2018 11:18 PM

I think oxblood lilies are a southern bulb, zones 7 to 10. They wouldn't work in northern states.. like NJ. My zone is 6a or 6b. Daffodils do very well here.

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2018 11:26 PM

Read this r33

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2018 11:34 PM

Tulips in Northern Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2018 11:48 PM

Canna lilies are common in Houston. Nice foliage and flaming flowers. And the squirrels will sit on the foliage and eat the blossoms, the little bastards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2018 12:01 AM

Go nuts:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2018 3:31 PM

Nice, R37!

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2018 5:36 PM

Gladioli are easy to grow (in Southern California).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2018 8:35 PM

Stock flowers are also easy to grow from seeds (Southern California).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2018 8:37 PM

In you guys' experience, do deer like lilies?

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2018 11:13 PM

Deer are supposed to like lilies but I've got friends in a deer-heavy area that grow lilies every year and have never had an issue. I was told by one gardener that just because deer, in general, like something doesn't mean that your local deer population might not prefer something else. For a couple of years deer ate my daffodils instead of ignoring them like they usually do. And have left them alone since.

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2018 3:23 AM

I have Happy Returns lilies. They’re supposed to rebook, but it’s nothing like the first bloom when you have all the lilies blooming at the same time. The first bloom is very nice. They bloomed and the next day I went out and every single bloom was gone. This is how I doubt out I had deer. They on,u came very late a night, so I’d never seen them before.

Now they hand out on my property all winter long while the hunters shoot the deer in the nearby fields. Today I noticed one is wearing a collar. I guess it’s being tracked for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 43December 16, 2018 3:31 AM

I am sorry for my typos. I had a couple of coughing fits while posting.

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2018 3:32 AM

[quote]In you guys' experience, do deer like lilies?

In my experience, yes. I planted 5 or 6 this year and when the flowers finally opened, deer came along and chomped them.

The deer have not touched my daffodils or iris. Some varieties of irises are sold as "reblooming," meaning they bloom in the spring and then again in the fall. The fall bloom is a little weaker, though. They are more expensive, though, about $6 per rhizome, for named varieties. Irises are very easy to grow.

I used to grow the gladiolus "Priscilla" because I think it's the prettiest one. One year I bought some by mail order directly from the old man who hybridized it. He died not long after that so I didn't buy any more.

For the daffodils I ordered a half bushel (I think about 300 bulbs) from K. van Bourgondien and they were supposed to be a mixture of many different varieties but they turned out to be all the same, solid yellow.

Now I'm more interested in the Narcissus species (narcissus tazetta, etc.) which give clusters of tiny flowers, because most of them have sweet fragrances. Not the paperwhites; those have a disagreeable scent to me. But the ones that are yellow or have 2 colors are very good smelling, and bloom early when no other sweet-smelling flowers are in bloom.

Another unusual one I grew was tuberose, which aren't all that pretty, but have a sweet strong fragrance that is used heavily by the perfume industry.

Another lesser-known one I grew was puschkinia, with white and blue striped flowers.

I have also grown saffron crocus (crocus sativus) which is where saffron comes from. I grew them in pots. You get usually 3 pices of saffron from each bulb, you just pick them and let them dry. Very easy. But it takes a lot of bulbs, so that's why saffron is so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2018 4:10 AM

The bulbs that have naturalized well for me: Siberian Squill, Snowdrops, Grape Hyacinths, Greek Anemones, Spanish Bluebells, Italian Arum, Drooping Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum nutas). I got much of my inspiration from the huge cemetery that's a few blocks from my house. I take a notebook with me in spring, and make note of which bulbs are blooming in the grass (my favorite way to grow them). I inherited lots of "magic lilies" (that R13) posted. They're actually very common in my city (Southern Ohio). They're considered "pass-along plants), Most people get theirs from their friends or families. They're a bit expensive at first, but once you have them, they're almost indestructible. Also, even though I never planted them, my front yard has lots of tulips that my Mom planted back when I was a kid (I'm 57). They're just standard, hybrid Darwin tulips: Red Emperor and Gudoshnik are very tough varieties. I've found the common hybrids to be much tougher than the 'species tulips', which I love.

Anyway, Siberian Squill comes in different colors (blue, white or pink) but I just stick with the blue ones. There are great sheets of them at the cemetery. Grape Hyacinths don't just spread by bulbs, but if you don't remove the seedpods they'll also seed into unexpected spots. Greek Anemones also come in blue, white and pink, but I just buy the blue ones. My brothers front yard faces the street, and it has a grassy bank. I planted Greek Anemones there over 30 years ago, and the bank facing the street is covered with blooming anenomes every spring, to the point that people actually stop their cars to take photos, and to ask about them. Again, another bulb that spreads by seed, so they now show up in the parking strip across the street. Again, Spanish Bluebells come in blue, white and pink. I only plant the blue ones. My brother has huge plantings of them now that blook every spring, and I planted them at my ex's house, too. Italian Arum is an unusual plant: it's almost like a hardy caladium. The leaves come up in fall, and last all winter. They're marbled with silver and very attractive. You eventually get little calla-lily like flowers in the spring, which are followed by clusters of bright red berries. Squirrels will spread them, and soon you'll have them popping up everywhere. The drooping Star of Bethlehem gets very little mention. It's extremely subtle: white flowers with silvery green backs. I was aware of them, but never bothered with them, until I saw a stretch of lawn that looked pretty unusual from the road, and I had to get out and get up close, to finally figure what they were. My brother's front lawn is now full of them, They're even tough enough to grow under a black walnut tree. My yard, my brother's yard, and my ex's yard are all full of naturalized bulbs, which I really love. I just to make the world more beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 46December 16, 2018 4:31 AM

^^I I jusr want to make the world more beautiful^^

by Anonymousreply 47December 16, 2018 7:02 AM

I have grown calla lilies just to please the ghost of Katharine Hepburn. They like lots of water, in fact plant them near the hose so they receive spilled water. The white ones are easy to grow though tender to cold. You must protect them if you have cold winters. Zantedeschia aethiopica. Easy to grow if you provide plenty of water.

There are also hybrids now in many different colors, but these are smaller and weaker plants that don't seem to last very long.

by Anonymousreply 48December 16, 2018 3:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!