Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which song should have won the 1984 Oscar ?

To settle an argument

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2018 8:19 PM

Those were the nominees? Jeez. I hate all of them.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2018 12:31 AM

Odd that When Doves Cry and Purple Rain we’re ignored, although I think Prince did win Original Score.

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2018 1:14 AM

I went with "Against All Odds" because it seems like the most tasteful. I used to love "I Just Called..." when I was little but no way in hell should that have won.

"Ghostbusters" would have been a funny choice — and it's probably the catchiest one, the one everyone today still knows.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2018 5:13 AM

I am the only person in the entire world who loved, loved, loved "I Just Called to Say I Love You."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2018 6:56 AM

They are all good songs

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2018 2:21 PM

I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan, but I hated I Just Called To Say I Love You, R4. Then again, his ballads were always syrupy and sentimental, and it was the 80s when ballads were very prominent on the charts.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2018 2:31 PM

[quote]I hated I Just Called To Say I Love You

Which makes you no one particularly special, R6. As I said, I am the only person who is not Stevie Wonder who liked it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2018 2:36 PM

This POS is getting 40% of the vote?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2018 2:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2018 3:11 PM

and the winner is

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2018 3:15 PM

I never particular cared for "I Just Called...", but the L.A. Law episode "The Human Good Bar" put the nail in its coffin for me. I can't hear it without visualizing Roxanne and her voice coach (starting 36 seconds in). With a little help from Stuart & Abby, she pulls it together in the end (39:56). And I still hate that song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2018 3:30 PM

It's sad that Deniece Williams peaked with Let's Hear It For The Boy. Incredibly talented singer with a lot solid albums in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2018 4:10 PM

Love Niecy

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2018 8:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2018 10:06 PM

Let's go by the Oscar performances:

Debbie Allen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2018 10:17 PM

Ann reinking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2018 10:18 PM

Diana Ross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2018 10:19 PM

Deniece Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2018 10:22 PM

Phil Collins won it for that horrible Tarzan song but deserved it for AAO and Two Hearts.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2018 10:23 PM

Phil Collins deserved to have a career in anything other than music. "AAO" shits.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2018 10:25 PM

Ray Parker Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2018 10:25 PM

Poor Ann Reinking. Phil Collins badmouthed her for months after that incident.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2018 10:28 PM

How come Prince didn't get any nominations?

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2018 10:30 PM

I think this was the only year every nominated song went to number one.

Denise Williams wanted to sing gospel music and let go of her pop/r&b career for a long time.

Prince won for the now discontinued category of best song score.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2018 10:32 PM

More than one person actually voted for the most pathetic song ever, "I Just Called To Say I Love You?" Stevie had obviously run out of good ideas and should've retired rather than tarnish his reputation with such embarrassing tripe. 1984 was a weak year, like most of us I voted for "Against All Odds," Phil sings the fuck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2018 10:52 PM

[quote]like most of us I voted for "Against All Odds,"

Because you like to vote "like most of us," no doubt. It certainly had nothing to do with the quality of the song, for it has none.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2018 11:19 PM

NOW I know, all-knowing one.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2018 11:22 PM

[quote]I am the only person in the entire world who loved, loved, loved "I Just Called to Say I Love You"

Apparently not as that crap song went to number 1 in dozens of countries including the UK where it sat at the top of the chart for six long and painful weeks.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2018 11:32 PM

Why did they allow two songs from the one film - Footloose? They could have slipped in "When Doves Cry" instead, unless they already knew they were giving Prince the Best Original Song Score award.

by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2018 12:07 AM

Another omission - The NeverEnding Story title song.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2018 12:12 AM

The movie was crap but I like the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2018 12:21 AM

On a side note, ‘What’s love got to do with it’ won the Grammy that year.

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2018 12:26 AM

Interesting that "Holding Out For A Hero" wasn't even nominated, yet it is certainly more popular and recognizable than any of the songs that were. Weird that they nominated "Let's Hear It For The Boy" instead since "Hero" is a far superior song with an epic vocal by Bonnie Tyler and characteristically over-the-top production by DL Fave Jim Steinman.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2018 1:08 AM

I love Holding Out For a Hero and would love it to have been nominated, only to see Debbie Allen's frantic dance routine.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2018 3:02 AM

^Hero is trashy

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2018 5:14 PM

Wasn't Prince's "Purple Rain" soundtrack #1 on the album chart for an astonishing amount of time, most of the year? I guess it was the height of his popularity. So it is ridiculous "When Doves Cry" didn't get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2018 6:01 PM

Kenny Loggins is underrated, So many of his songs are both catchy and innovative. There are a lot of interesting things going on in Footloose. And the song certainly makes you want to get up and get "footloose."

"I Just Called..." is extremely charming. I can understand why it isn't a favorite but hating it is like hating a puppy. Of course, this is Datalounge, so....

When did the "Ghostbusters" plagiarism scandal get wide attention? It's catchy as hell thanks to Huey Lewis, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2018 6:25 PM

They actually tried to get Huey to do the song first. So there's no question it was plagiarism.

[quote] "I Just Called..." is extremely charming.

No, you just have really shitty taste, sorry to inform you. A kindergartner could've written it. "Footloose" is also totally cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2018 6:38 PM

VH-1 launched around the same time as the movie “Footloose” and it started as the Adult Contemporary version of MTV. Anyway, they showed the video for “Let’s Hear It For The Boy” a lot. I remember once after it played the VJ (it may have been Don Imus) made a fat joke at Denise Williams’ expense. At one point in the video Denise attempts a hula hoop and the VJ made some snarky comment that her waist took up the majority of the hula hoop or something like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2018 6:52 PM

The song is not bad in the context of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2018 6:53 PM

The MV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2018 7:00 PM

All of those songs hit #1 on the Hot 100. "I Just Called To Say I Love You" was not written specifically for the movie, I don't think, and it therefore did not deserve to win. My vote goes to "Let's Hear It For The Boy."

by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2018 7:01 PM

There were so many great songs in that '83-'84 period, when MTV played videos all day long, and people left MTV on all day. "I Just Called," "Footloose" and "Let's Hear It For The Boy" were among the cheesiest.

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2018 7:04 PM

That's a crappy list of songs (no offense to OP). I would not want to listen again to any one of those songs.

For the Deniece Williams fans, here she is with Johnny Mathis singing "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late." She's also sung this song with Tom Jones and Jeffrey Osborne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2018 8:11 PM

R44 No offense taken. They were just the year’s nominees.

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2018 8:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!