Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think being told one looks like an elf is a compliment or an insult?

The other night a male friend of mine told me I look like an elf. I was confused as I don't have pointy ears. He said he meant an elf from fantasy games and said it was because of my long, sharp facial features. To him this is attractive as he enjoys fantasy games, but would it be considered attractive to anyone else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2018 10:58 PM

He meant to say troll, but was confused.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2018 5:23 PM

Not merely an insult but fighting words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2018 5:28 PM

I've read novels where characters are described as elfin and it generally signifies both small and mischievous. I suppose either those or fantasy-like elves are attractive to some people. I wouldn't take it as an insult.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2018 5:30 PM

Wasn't Orlando Bloom an elf in LOTR? He is quite attractive. I would take it as a compliment, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2018 5:47 PM

OP he should have used the term. ELVEN. I know you don't know anything about elves aside from claymated stale Christmas-TV specials......but Elves are a very ETHEREALLY beautiful race with in the term of "fairies". By fairies I don't mean tiny people with butterfly wings. Faeries....a race. When the old God's and Goddesses were replaced by Christianity these mighty divenities....slowly lost power and we're turned into the faries/elves we know today. ***OP you need to understand the subtleties of tone. What was his tone? Bitchy? Snarky? Or was their a genuine kindness in his tone? Men aren't good at social cues.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2018 5:52 PM

If your friend is a gamer, it's definitely not an insult. Don't overanalyze such things.

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2018 5:54 PM

Wait, people think it's an insult?

Excuse me, I have to make a few phone calls....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2018 5:56 PM

Be brave enough to post a pic, and we'll let you know OP. Elven could be relative. I hope you do not resemble Jeff Sessions. David Tennant (Dr.Who) looks ever so slightly Elf On The Shelf to me, but still cute.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2018 5:57 PM

I actually was told that I looked like the pic is in your posting (albeit - 20 plus years ago0...I wan't offended. I'm clean cut, preppy and it sort of looked like me.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2018 6:06 PM

OP do you life in SF, by chance?

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2018 6:13 PM

*live

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2018 6:13 PM

I was told once I look like Jerry Van Dyke. Soooo not a compliment! (and I frankly don't see it, but who knows?)

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2018 6:16 PM

Why yes of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2018 6:17 PM

If you’re a short cute pocket gay with a bubbl butt, then sure.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2018 6:17 PM

When I was in college I looked like Enrique Iglesias. Later I was told I look like Ray Liotta. Then just this year someone told me I look like Michael Keaton. I'm pretty sure those are steps down in the comparison department.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2018 6:20 PM

Michael Keaton is way hotter than Ray Liotta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2018 6:22 PM

While I agree with your statement R16, what does that have to do with this thread?

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2018 6:27 PM

This guy looks elfin and I think he's hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2018 6:35 PM

Your friend meant it as a compliment. He was referring to gamer/High Fantasy elves (like Thranduil or Legolas), not the cartoon/Keebler variety (Sessions).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2018 6:45 PM

La belle Pace

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2018 7:58 PM

I always thought twinks were elf-human crossbreeds... is that not right?

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2018 8:20 PM

No, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2018 9:15 PM

He want's to get into your elvish knickers, op.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2018 9:46 PM

It's an insult.

Imagine him calling you an elf during sex. Not good.

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2018 10:33 PM

It's absolutely a compliment. Where I am from, the aos sí are stunningly beautiful folk.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2018 10:56 PM

R5 unless you're stuck in the 1980s and are talking about those awful California Raisins commercials, there's no such thing as "claymated" tv specials .

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2018 10:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!