Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Emperor's New Groove"

What kind of vulgar garbage is this? A Disney movie? Really?! WTF....

It has nothing to do with gay fairytale writer Hans Christian Andersen's "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Eartha Kitt is in it, but she plays this totally uncharismatic witch. She has a hot bodyguard/sidekick, but ... OMG what trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2018 7:52 PM

The sidekick is Kronk. He's hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2018 3:25 PM

That was DISNEY? I remember it having the feel of a Bugs Bunny cartoon circa the Chuck Jones era. No wonder there’s zero merch or theme park attractions associated with it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2018 3:27 PM

It's like a proto Shrek. No beauty or magic. Just trash.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2018 3:29 PM

How dare you, OP!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2018 3:35 PM

It was supposed to be more "serious" with Owen Wilson and Harvey Fierstein (playing a tiny Incan statue) in addition to the original cast, minus John Goodman, who replaced Owen Wilson. It was going to be an Incan version of Prince and the Pauper.

Sting wrote music for it, and Eartha had a big number about being bitter she's aged, blaming it on the sun, and her plan to block out the sun with black magic. A powerful "aging queen" song.

Sting's wife made a documentary for it, and it included rough clips of the original movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2018 3:42 PM

It's so inoffensive that I can't imagine what kind of personality disorder you suffer from to think it's vulgar garbage.

Probably the same disorder that causes you to post 5-10 anti-Millennial threads per day until your mom finally corners you with the pill-popper and gets you to take your meds again.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2018 3:47 PM

Eartha's number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2018 3:48 PM

Would never be made today without Incans in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 8November 28, 2018 3:52 PM

R6, do you still watch reruns of Reba while eating Marie Callender dinners?

by Anonymousreply 9November 28, 2018 3:55 PM

If you can't come up with anything witty to say, R9, at least fall back on an old standard like "types fat" or "you fat whore."

by Anonymousreply 10November 28, 2018 3:58 PM

Still not as bad as Hercules

by Anonymousreply 11November 28, 2018 4:05 PM

[Quote] Still not as bad as Hercules

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 28, 2018 4:08 PM

I thought it was a cute movie and a departure from their usual dreck. And I would think this would be a DL fave for Eartha Kitt alone?

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2018 4:12 PM

I'll take that as a yes, R10.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2018 4:14 PM

OP must be joking, it’s the only consistently funny Disney comedy.

David Spade hating working on it reportedly, but his VA for Kuzco is perfect characterisation.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2018 4:15 PM

Op, you are crazy. This was one of the more selfaware animated Disney films.

I love when the Emperor cuts away from sappy moments to remind people that the movie is about him. He is literally a DL running a country. Ertah’s carscter would be an Elder Gay on here

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2018 4:17 PM

[Quote] And I would think this would be a DL fave for Eartha Kitt alone?

Seriously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2018 4:17 PM

Come on, this one is so snarky. I quote it all the time.

When my husband calls me when I'm about to take a huge delicious bite of a burger or meatloaf: "This had better be GOOD!"

"CHEESY ME NO LIKEY!!"

"I hate you."

"Bring it on."

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2018 4:17 PM

Wasn't it a Saturday morning TV series as well?

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2018 4:17 PM

I’ll put that flea into a box, then stick that box into another box, then mail t to myself. And when it arrives, I’ll smash it with a hammer! ...or, to save in postage, I’ll just poison him with this.

Idk why I love those lines. I can quote this movie all day.

Bring it on.

by Anonymousreply 20November 28, 2018 4:26 PM

One of my faves

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 28, 2018 4:32 PM

“Do you have anything that isn’t covered in gravy?” Use this line every Thanksgiving.

“Bless you for coming out in public.”

by Anonymousreply 22November 28, 2018 4:33 PM

R8 I was watching a behind-the-scenes segment of this movie on YouTube, and a lot of young people in the comments were pissed off that several of the characters, including the protagonist, were voiced by a white actors. Frankly, I'm so sick of these SJW types. They're doing more harm than good for the left.

by Anonymousreply 23November 28, 2018 4:39 PM

All right, you bitches have convinced me. It's kinda good. Sorry lol. I'll beat off to Kronk after work to make up for it.

At that racial shit - e.g., "OMG they should have had Peruvian-American voice actors!" - is TRUE garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 28, 2018 4:44 PM

[Quote] and a lot of young people in the comments were pissed off that several of the characters, including the protagonist, were voiced by a white actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 28, 2018 4:53 PM

The inclusion of Miss Norma Desmond as the main villain makes me wonder if this film was not meant to be a historically accurate depiction of ancient Peruvian culture.

by Anonymousreply 26November 28, 2018 5:00 PM

I LOVE IT! The best! I wished for a part deux!

by Anonymousreply 27November 28, 2018 5:06 PM

R27, I think there was a direct-to-video sequel/spinoff...

by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2018 5:09 PM

Kronk's New Groove. No Yzma, though, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2018 5:11 PM

R28 Really?! I didn’t know about this.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2018 5:12 PM

R27, here. Haven't seen it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2018 5:12 PM

R31 Thank you 🙏

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2018 5:14 PM

Kronk was designed by a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2018 5:42 PM

Ummm...lighten up much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2018 6:32 PM

TV series spinoff, "The Emperor's New School."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2018 8:17 PM

It's what passes for art in our disposable culture. A cynical regurgitation of todays' supposedly hilarious, smart-alecky catchphrases that will be stale or meaningless in a few years, all to rake in the bucks.

Let's admit, "the artistry of David Spade" is a bit of an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2018 8:21 PM

R36 aka turd in the punch bowl, who said it was "art"? It's a cartoon. It has several oft quoted one liners. It's OK to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2018 8:23 PM

How are things in the gutter, r37? Tell the roaches I said hi!

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2018 8:26 PM

I remember the rumors about all the behind-the-scenes disasters, I thought I heard that they basically made the film, realized it sucked, wrote a new story to fit the existing animation, and brought in the actors to change it into an entirely different film.

So, two questions for the New Groove Mavens here:

1) Wasn't it a box-office failure anyway, after all the trouble the took to do it over?

2) Was this film partially or completely responsible for Disney shutting down its hand-drawn animation division?

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2018 10:13 PM

1) Yes, it bombed badly! It had a $100 million budget but only grossed $89 million stateside and $80 million overseas.

2) No, that was HOME ON THE RANGE released 4 years later. In between, Disney released ATLANTIS, LILO & STITCH, TREASURE PLANET, and BROTHER BEAR. RANGE's distinction for 5 years was being the last 2D Disney animated film, until PRINCESS AND THE FROG was released.

by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2018 10:25 PM

[quote] like "types fat" or "you fat whore."

"you fat whore" is mine and she can't use it!

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2018 10:55 PM

[quote]It's what passes for art in our disposable culture

No one has ever called it art.

[quote]A cynical regurgitation of todays' supposedly hilarious, smart-alecky catchphrases that will be stale or meaningless in a few years

It's already almost 20 years old and half this thread is people quoting from it, dipstick.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2018 2:32 PM

Disney went through a phase where they pushed that kind of wacky, Cartoon Network humour, didn't they? Hercules, The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, Chicken Little...

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2018 2:37 PM

FWIW this is the Disney animated movie that features the most realistic depiction of obnoxious children.

“Well, which is it? That’s a pretty crucial conjunction.”

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2018 4:26 PM

Poor Kronk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2018 5:10 PM

Kronk might be the nicest sweetest man in the Disney canon. He certainly gives Herc a run for his drachma.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2018 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!