Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Robert Redford win an Oscar for Ordinary People?!!!!

Discuss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2018 12:55 PM

Best director oscar. Not acting.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2018 11:57 PM

Who else would have won it?

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2018 12:00 AM

R1 I know but the movie was not special

R2 Martin Scorsese for Raging Bull

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2018 12:02 AM

r3 I liked Ordinary People more. Much, much more.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2018 12:04 AM

Mare was robbed. Robbed!

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2018 12:05 AM

Buck would never have questioned Robert Redford’s deserving the Oscar for Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2018 12:15 AM

Hollywood has a long history of rewarding well-respected and successful actors who turn to directing. Plus the film was better than average middlebrow drama so it was inevitable.

I don't think Redford ever directed a film even this good afterwards.

Even so, Kevin Costner's later directing win is a more egregious example of rewarding an actor-turned-director than Redford's win.

At that point Scorsese was still considered too "New York" by the Hollywood crowd that comprises the bulk of voters. Think of how long it took for the man to finally win, and not for one of his best films.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2018 12:15 AM

For corralling Mary Tyler Moore and for being a WASP.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2018 12:17 AM

[quote]I don't think Redford ever directed a film even this good afterwards.

Most people never directed a film as good as Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2018 12:18 AM

The larger question is why Mary Tyler Moore didn't win the Oscar? Mary deserved it over Sissy Spacek for Coal Miners Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2018 12:21 AM

I thought Jonathan Demme deserved it for Melvin & Howard--not even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2018 12:22 AM

Ordinary People is so good. It's still a rare thing for the movie version to match the quality of a well-loved book.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2018 12:27 AM

I saw it and it WAS a very good movie so yes, Redford deserved the Oscar for directing it.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2018 12:30 AM

It was a brilliant movie. Mary was robbed of an Oscar because she was considered a TV actress. There is no one who beat her performance that year.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2018 12:32 AM

R7 he was nominated again for Quiz Show which I thought was just as good if not better than OP.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2018 12:40 AM

It's an excellent movie and he did a fantastic job directing it. My 13 year old self was profoundly affected by this movie and I would always fall into heaping sobs by the end of it whenever I watched it. I think it holds up. Did Timothy Hutton ever match that performance again? MTM was amazing.

Then I finally saw Raging Bull 25 years later. I was a pretty big Scorsese fan but I'd always avoided RB for some reason. Maybe I didn't want to betray OP and its impact on me. But it was probably the most emotionally devastating movie I'd seen in a long while. I can't go back and watch it too often because it just hurts, but man, definitely Marty's and Bobby's best.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2018 12:41 AM

R10 Strongly disagree. Sissy Spacek absolutely owned the role of Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's Daughter and also did her own singing. She worked much harder in this movie than Mary did in hers.

A once in a lifetime performance and Sissy richly deserved the Oscar she got for her standout role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2018 12:43 AM

I was never able to watch Raging Bull again, partly because I hate boxing.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2018 12:44 AM

Did not love Coal Miner's Daughter. It was okay. Not as devastating as Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2018 12:46 AM

I loved Coal Miner's Daughter but pretty much anyone could have done that performance. Looking back it is kind of a Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2018 12:46 AM

If Moore had been put into Supporting, would she have won?

Timothy Hutton was pretty great in American Crime S1. He was nominated for the Emmy but lost.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2018 12:48 AM

Because he deserved it.

Ordinary People > Raging Bull.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2018 12:50 AM

Dew. Dew.. Dew. Baloney makes me horny.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2018 12:51 AM

The cinematographer directed the film. Redford is a sham as a director.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2018 12:51 AM

1980 was a strong year in film. I loved Tess by Roman Polanski. I know there is still criticism that Raging Bull and Marty Scorsese deserved Best Pic and Best Director over OP and Robert but I think OP is a great film.

I don't know if Moore would have won in Supporting r21. Wasn't Mary Steenburgen a front runner?

I agree that Melvin and Howard is a great film. I think it's more relevant now than back then.

Timothy Hutton may have never become an A-list star but he's worked steadily, and seems to be getting stronger work in the last decade. As r21 stated, he was excellent in American Crime (and Emmy-nominated). And he's in a supporting role on How To Get Away with Murder.

It's a shame Moore's film career never took off after this film. She really was amazing in it.

Also a shame Donald Sutherland was not nominated for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2018 12:53 AM

I don't remember the next time I liked a movie as much as Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2018 12:54 AM

Did You Fuck My Brother?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2018 12:56 AM

Oscar decided to reward Robert Redford for being more than a handsome, dumb blond with adequate acting skills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2018 12:58 AM

Martin Scorsese was pissed off, he didn't even try to hide it

He should have won

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2018 1:01 AM

It’s a vastly successful film to RAGING BULL.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2018 1:11 AM

[quote] It's a shame Moore's film career never took off after this film. She really was amazing in it.

No matter how many times she tried to “transgress” her tv persona, and no matter how good she was, she would forever be seen as the wife from The Dick Van Dyke Show and as her character on the MTM Show.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2018 1:16 AM

John Bailey, the cinematographer on Ordinary People, has done some extraordinary work but never been nominated for an Academy Award. Flashy special effects movies or scenic historical epics tend to win the cinematography award, but Bailey captures the light and colors of suburban Chicago beautifully and hauntingly (as he does with suburban Baltimore in The Accidental Tourist). Some of the images are like great paintings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2018 1:24 AM

Raging Bull and Scorsese weren't really in contention. Redford and Ordinary People were heavy favorites. The acclaim for Raging Bull and Scorsese only grew over the years. At the time people praised DeNiro but the film itself was too violent and bloody and profane for Academy tastes. (This was the days of Bob Hope etc.)

Scorsese may seem stressed in the video where he lost because he had a lot more on his mind than just the Oscars. The day before the ceremony on what was supposed to be the day of the ceremony Hinckley shot Reagan and cited a Scorsese film as the inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2018 1:34 AM

I wanted Raging Bull to win but I wasn't disappointed when Ordinary People won, because while it was a very different film, it was comparably good.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2018 1:35 AM

The thing about Ordinary People, whether you wanted to admit it or not, everybody understood Beth. More than they wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2018 1:40 AM

R35 I never understood Beth or parents like her

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2018 1:46 AM

HI BETH!

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2018 1:47 AM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2018 1:50 AM

I recall also the acclaim for RB grew over the years. I consider the film a masterpiece in terms of production, acting and writing but it’s strange how it wasn’t recognized as such in 1980-1981 at the time of the Oscar voting. It really must’ve been the violent boxing scenes, wife abuse and liberal use of profanity that turned voters off to at least a directing win. Redford was the first high profile actor to win for directing even though some directors are known to dabble in it (John Huston for example).

It wasn’t even a certainty that DeNiro would show up that night due to the attempt on Reagan’s life but ended up collecting it.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2018 1:50 AM

Mary Tyler Moore Talks About Robert Redford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2018 1:51 AM

Timothy Hutton absolutely deserved to win.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2018 1:53 AM

I love how bitter so many actresses got when they found out they didn't get the part of Beth. Redford made a lot of promises just in case he didn't get Mary for the role.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2018 1:55 AM

who r42?

I've heard Mary on youtube say Redford came to her house and told her she was who he pictured when he read the script but then he proceeded to audition every actress around. Timothy Hutton has said Ann-Margaret was Beth at his audition.

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2018 1:57 AM

Hutton has also said that if Elizabeth McGovern had turned down the role Redford was thinking of giving it to Marie Osmond.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2018 2:04 AM

"Ordinary People" was a great film, even if a bit sanitized in spots (the school kids mostly). "Raging Bull" is amazing to look at but tough for many to sit through. The true Best Picture that year (and Best Director too): "The Elephant Man" and David Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2018 2:14 AM

I’ve tried to make it through Raging Bull twice, and bailed both times. It’s beautifully shot. Cinematically, it looks great.

But it’s like sitting on a bus and watching an asshole be a dick to other people for two hours. Jack LaMotta is a wholly worthless individual. Scorsese makes no indictment of him; rather, he chronicles him.

Life’s too short to spend two hours with that man (DeNiro’s LaMotta, not Scorsese).

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2018 2:40 AM

Agreed. Though Cathy Moriarty almost makes it all worthwhile. What a gorgeous creature. Should have been a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2018 2:48 AM

"Ordinary People" is such a great movie. I imagine it's really hard to direct a movie dependent upon dialogue and body language alone. Also, great cinematography with such subject matter is also a great achievement.

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2018 3:07 AM

The first 40 seconds of this! Laura Petrie IRL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2018 3:14 AM

At least Scorsese didn’t lose to a bunch of British Olympians.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2018 3:19 AM

You won the directing Oscar though WB

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2018 3:22 AM

I was just a kid when these movies were in cinemas so I didn't get round to seeing them until about ten years ago. Anyway, Ordinary People stayed with me long after I saw it. I didn't think about Raging Bull again after I saw it. I can see how technically brilliant it is but (and this isn't a reflection on DeNiro's performance) Jake LaMotta, for me, wasn't a particularly compelling character.

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2018 3:23 AM

It was a few years before I wanted to look at Raging Bull. At home. On the VCR. In case I didn't want to finish it. I did finish it, though.

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2018 3:28 AM

It's an awful film all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2018 3:29 AM

Which one, r54?

by Anonymousreply 55November 24, 2018 3:30 AM

RAGING BULL is my all time favorite Deniro movie. He’s amazing in it.

OP underwhelms me. Love MTM but Redford bores me on either side of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2018 3:39 AM

Nice post, r52. When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with Scorsese movies. I just loved watching and analyzing Taxi Driver, New York, New York, Raging Bull and Goodfellas. I still think he's great but I don't like that Ordinary People is sometimes deemed unworthy of the Oscar. I think both OP and RB are excellent films, and classics in their own right. Like you said, OP has stayed with me also. Watching OP as a 17-year-old I could relate to Hutton's alienation and my stepmother was MTM, very cold with flashes of warmth but always reverting back behind the shell.

Kind of surprising that Ordinary People is not available on Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 57November 24, 2018 4:08 AM

R7 yeah but Redford really started that “golden boy turned director” trend - Beatty, Costner, Affleck all came after. So the question is from 1980 eyes was Redford’s win as much a foregone conclusion? Directing awards had yet to go in that direction.

I agree with whoever said Quiz Show is at least as good if not better than OP. That was the year of Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction but I thought Quiz Show was the movie that was really robbed.

Also a shame Donald Sutherland has never been nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 58November 24, 2018 5:27 AM

I intended to only watch the first 40 seconds of R49's video but I ended up getting sucked in. MTM was so great. Everything was amazing, Donald Sutherland, Timothy Hutton (obviously), the costumes, the set design... it was all so snotty and monied and WASPy and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 24, 2018 6:03 AM

Mary Tyler Moore was SO miscast as Beth. Who would believe Mary Richards as a cold, detached mother from hell?

It was fucking brilliant! Redford deserved the award for that casting decision if nothing else. He just didn't deserve it more than Scorsese.

As you can see, I'm torn. Yeah, they were both great and iconic films in their own right.

by Anonymousreply 60November 24, 2018 6:14 AM

[quote] yeah but Redford really started that “golden boy turned director” trend - Beatty, Costner, Affleck all came after.

actually Beatty was nominated two years before for Heaven Can Wait. Woody Allen kind of broke down the barrier against actors directing in terms of Oscar. (Paul Newman sort of did it with Rachel, Rachel but the Academy accepted him but the director's branch didn't.

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2018 7:14 AM

Richard Attenborough, who started directing in 1969 after a long acting career, won in 1983 for Gandhi. So Allen, Redford, Beatty, and Attenborough: 4 actors won best director in 6 years.

by Anonymousreply 62November 24, 2018 7:22 AM

R61 Woody Allen was a “golden boy?”

by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2018 7:35 AM

Actually, RAGING BULL’s reputation has floundered over the years, as an overall FILM particularly compared to his other work. People love TAXI DRIVER and GOODFELLAS more. Even THE KING OF COMEDY is considered odder, more experimental and mire individualistic. The direction of the fight scenes, Joe Pesci’s energy and general admiration of Robert De Niro regaining his previously taut and terrific body by Oscar night remain lauded.

by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2018 12:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!