Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British people. Can you tell your English, Scots Welsh and Irish by just looking at them?

They look all the same to me. Ok so more gingers among the Scots and Irish. What else?

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2018 8:56 PM

If they're drunk then they are definitely a Celt.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2018 10:10 AM

Why can't the English teach their children how to write?

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2018 10:19 AM

The Irish are not British

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2018 10:36 AM

The Irish are from Britannia.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2018 10:48 AM

[quote]The Irish are not British

Some are

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2018 10:49 AM

Yes.

I can tell by their facial features, colouring and bodies.

For example, irish men tend to have short legs and longer torsos and they also tend to be short in height. Best I can describe is, they have miniature swimmers bodies.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2018 11:02 AM

The Welsh are hairy midgets.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2018 11:26 AM

Lots of Welsh people have curly hair and are stout and generally are given to the "english rose" complexion that most English people don't have. Irish people (who are not British, by the way) probably have the most distinct phenotypes than and again they are "strong bodied" whether thin or nay. They just don't "crack" physically as badly as the English, even as facially , many do ( like the English). Scottish people don't seem to have much district going on that I have noticed. The English are probably the weirdest looking and need the most upholstery than all the others. Crack easily, doughy and class privilege is not a guarantee of improvement as the visibility of many bad bodied middle class people testify. What I will say is that Britain drains the beauty out of immigrant cultures. My friends and I always comment at how the relatives who went elsewhere are happier , less stressed ( even the ones who went to America) and their skin isn't so dull looking. The "be sturdy" narrative for immigrants that doesn't exist in Britain anymore, but still applies elsewhere probably has a lot to do with that as well. Britain and melanin certainly isn't much of a good combination. Not enough sun or guarantee of heat even in Summer and the lack of it affects POC more than Caucasians as Europe and its weather suits Caucasians better as their skin can more effectively glean Vitamin D from it than POC people who originate in far better climates. Stock up on your vitamins if not white and try and go to a hot place at least once a year since Britain has the most schizophrenic weather of any country I have ever known. So if Caramel skinned and darker save coin for a two week sunbathe ( at least ) in hotter, sunnier climates. It's a health thing. Oh and Londoners have the worst skin , even if we have access to "stuff". It's the hard water. My Birmingham, Tiger Bay and Sheffield relatives food tastes better, hot beverages taste better hair is in better condition and skin is better. So "indigenously", I'd say that the Irish due to body strength and distinct phenotypes are the best looking. Beauty is a combination of "face and waist" after all. The English for being either mushy or horsey or "needing a LOT of application" are the worst. And immigration doesn't necessarily render The English any better looking . Their basicness can kill a good gene at ten paces.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2018 11:40 AM

Black irish handsome is quite different than British handsome.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2018 11:45 AM

Irish Rugby team here. Spot the ones who are not genetically Irish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2018 11:46 AM

I'm English - Irish but people say I look Italian.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2018 11:49 AM

The two Welsh guys I know both have caramel skin

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2018 12:11 PM

r10 insert sassy remark about kissing Blarney stones here!

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2018 12:13 PM

No, R4, the Irish are from a completely different Island. Britain is comprised of England, Scotland, and Wales.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2018 12:42 PM

Scots / Welsh (Celtic) are (traditionally) more closely related to Irish (Celtic) than to English (Anglo-Saxon).

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2018 12:51 PM

Few things in life more gorgeous than a true Black Irish guy. Dark brown/black hair and green eyes. Nothing like it. (also, contrary to popular opinion, green eyed Irish folk are fairly rare. Good example: Dylan Moran

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2018 3:25 PM

Post pics of black irish studs. Or whatever specimen you have described please.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2018 3:35 PM

[quote] they are all cute, but the black Irish one is the hottest!

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2018 7:37 PM

Gay model from Cork looks Black Irish to me. Kevin Ryan

Lot of Black Irish in that area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2018 7:57 PM

No you can't. However, you can tell when someone's from northern England.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2018 7:59 PM

Irish model Gary Talbot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2018 8:02 PM

Sturdy thighs, and Irish and Scottish trait but not so much English

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2018 8:03 PM

Aldan Turner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2018 8:03 PM

Scottish men are hung like horses

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2018 8:05 PM

Car salesman and former model in Galway. He doesn't look Black Irish though. Just cute Irish :

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2018 8:06 PM

Nathan Adams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2018 8:07 PM

R24 in my experience, Scottish and Irish men really have bigger dicks than most men. Never slept with a Welch but English men have average dicks.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2018 8:10 PM

In the US, people can't even tell european and middle eastern people apart.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2018 8:11 PM

[quote]In the US, people can't even tell european and middle eastern people apart.

Well, they are the same race, Caucasian.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2018 8:13 PM

r28 of course we can; many of us simply don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2018 8:53 PM

/lifting caftan

Aidan Turner: YUM

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2018 10:59 PM

31 posts and no one has said "Oh dear" to the grammatically challenged OP?

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2018 11:02 PM

But what about the many Englishmen who of are of 2nd or 3rd generation Irish stock, R8?

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2018 11:11 PM

I have a Scottish mother and grandmother. My grandfather is English. When you are surrounded by their British friends when you are growing up, it's easy to spot someone with British ethnicity. It's about the shape of facial features (too many to describe but all too familiar). Englishmen have bigger bushes than the rest, but all are hairier than average. (I learned this later...) British and Irish men are shorter than most. They all have quick wits and can crush in a debate. You can also tell among accents who is from where in different parts of the same countries.

An Asian friend once told me Asian people can differentiate the nationality of a Vietnamese person and a Korean person, a person from Nepal and a person from Sri Lanka. They know what sets the ethnic groups apart.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2018 11:22 PM

Welsh have true black hair.

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2018 11:28 PM

r32, I'm afraid the recipient of "Oh, Dear" must be you. The OP meant "your" in the sense of "I've got your Black Irish right HERE." A reading of the OP's full sentence makes it clear that "you're" would be nonsensical.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2018 11:32 PM

English have weak chins.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2018 11:41 PM

CZJ describes her ethnicity as "black Welsh."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2018 11:44 PM

You can spot Irish guys because they will definitely NOT be showing bulge

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2018 11:45 PM

Oddly, most Celts have blood type B+. The highest concentration of B+ blood type is in Wales, IIRC.

And only 12% of the population has B+ blood type.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2018 12:12 AM

When I'm in London, I feel like a lot of the Englishmen I meet are thinner than other Europeans. When I see male/female couples, it seems like the men are usually thinner, or more fine boned, than the women.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2018 3:40 AM

I am getting better at telling them apart.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2018 3:43 AM

Thank you r36

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2018 4:29 AM

The guy with r25 's post look like that skinny dude in The Chainsmokers who can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2018 11:04 AM

Is Reynolds an Irish surname?

Because with his brown eyes, Ryan Reynolds looks very "black Irish" to me.

Here's Colin Ferrell for reference:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2018 11:20 AM

[quote]An Asian friend once told me Asian people can differentiate the nationality of a Vietnamese person and a Korean person

I'm not Asian, but this distinction is usually obvious.

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2018 12:42 PM

[quote] Lots of Welsh people have curly hair and are stout and generally are given to the "english rose" complexion that most English people don't have.

Hmmm. My paternal grandfather and great-grandmother hail from Pembrokeshire, and I turned out looking just like this description (dirty-blond curls, rosy cheeks, “sturdy”) despite my having a willowy wan-faced Saxon father/Uncles and a straight-locked warm-yellow-skinned mother of Kentish stock. Welsh genes must be rather hardy, perseverant and strong (though my sister doesn’t look like this).

You’ll find English natives of the West Midlands often resemble this profile as well, thanks to years of mix breeding over the border. That’s why the Shire Hobbits of Jackson’s LOTR look and sound so, especially Samwise Merry & Pippin; Tolkien’s Hobbits were based on West Country/Midland English folk. And yes, I know that the guys who played those Hobbits aren’t genetically Welsh at all, before anyone shouts at me (Pippin/Billy Boyd is a Scot, Merry/Dom Monaghan is a Manc/northerner and Samwise/Sean Astin isn’t even British), but they were styled to represent that stereotypical image and put on accents to match.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2018 1:22 PM

R23 - Aidan Turner was quite pretty in And Then There Were None . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2018 2:23 PM

You can't tell since Britons (and increasingly the Irish) are a mongrel race. You might see someone who fits your idea of a stereotype Scot, Englishman or whatever but you would have to wait for them to start speaking to tell their true nationality. You are frequently surprised that your "black Irish" is actually a Welshman of Polish descent etc.

[quote]Oh and Londoners have the worst skin , even if we have access to "stuff". It's the hard water. My Birmingham, Tiger Bay and Sheffield relatives food tastes better, hot beverages taste better hair is in better condition and skin is better.

Nah. I lived for decades in London and now in Birmingham. London has much softer water than the Midlands. You can eat the water here. It has a satisfying crunch. Not much good for washing machines, though.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2018 3:52 PM

[quote] You can't tell since Britons (and increasingly the Irish) are a mongrel race.

Everyone is mongrel. But Brexit should slow the mongrelization down for a blip.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2018 1:03 AM

R39 Irish here, massive balls and a decent 8 inches. Most Irish guys are at least 6 or above, and plenty of hung guys. I guess the "hung" gene got lost in the mix when the Irish went stateside.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2018 5:05 AM

I think there are more red-headed Scottish people than Irish. All the Irish in my family are black Irish and a few blondes.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2018 5:23 AM

The Welsh stay young forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2018 6:00 AM

Another ethnic-related posting. Having these kinds of discussions only points out differences, which serves no purpose. Remember when we were told that being prejudice was wrong. Well, it still is. To categorize someone before getting to know them only puts up a barrier. OP is just baiting you. Don't fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2018 6:24 AM

I can often tell Irish, more by the colouring than anything else. But it's very common in Britain to have mixed English/Irish and Scottish ancestory (not so much Welsh in my experience). I do myself.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2018 6:28 AM

Why is that r55? Don't the Welsh intermarry as much?

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2018 6:41 AM

In South Lancashire the men often tall and lanky, broad shouldered, masculine with large dicks. Interestingly skull formations called Occipital Buns from S. Lancashire is one of the few places in the world these are common also. Associated with Neanderthal DNA Basque, Lapp, Finns and Bushmen from South Africa and Australian aborigines often have occipital buns also.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2018 6:44 AM

I can very often pick Welsh on sight. Wilfred Owen has features of one particular Welsh genotype that you can spot quite often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2018 7:26 AM

Irish women put English women to shame but so does every corner of the world. Irish have those button noses where Brits have Diana Spencer honkers. Irish don't have bulgey eyes. That's a N German and English trait. Both English & Irish commonly have thin lips and underdeveloped chins but Irish pull it off because they don't have big bottom noses so the trait is offset. There's like 4 different types of Irish. Celts being one of them.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2018 8:38 AM

What R54 said, is true there basically is no difference either genetically or physically. It is like this for all other European people from different countries and regions of Europe, as they all invaded each other or had migrations through thousands of years. Just look up time lapse videos of maps of the history of Europe on YouTube.

Also the Irish went to Britain, and the English, Scots, and Welsh went to Ireland, and all of these people intermarried. Also Scandinavians and other Germanic peoples invaded and settled in what are now England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2018 8:54 AM

Those from the highlands of Scotland are unmistakable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2018 9:23 AM

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2018 6:43 PM

Gay actor Luke Evans is Welsh. With his deep set eyes and full lips, he could be related to Wilfred Owen @ R58.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2018 6:54 PM

I've never understood the fallacy that Irish men are small dicked (the "Irish Curse"). Two of the biggest schoongs I've ever had were pure Irish. Huge horse cocks.

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2018 6:58 PM

^schlongs.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2018 6:59 PM

[R54] Noting difference and nuance does not equate to prejudice. How would botany have been possible if biologists refused to note the difference between Maple and Oak leaves on some preposterous quasi-moral grounds.? An an Irish/Scottish American I was thoroughly enjoying this thread until you showed up with your obligatory PC hogwash.

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2018 9:32 PM

I’m English and can always identify fellow Brits on sight alone when I’m in a foreign country but I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between any of the distinct nationalities.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2018 9:54 PM

Lot of people like R14 saying that Ireland is not British and is its own island are wrong, it is one of the British Isles as a geographical area, which is separate to the political entity of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Note that Northern Island is separate as it's not part of Great Britain, which refers to the largest Island of the British Isles and if you was wondering about little Britain, that is what Ireland was at one time called. Clearly you lot were all having a J. Arthur during history and geography...

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2018 10:14 PM

R68, you might not be aware that "British Isles" is a disputed term and is not used universally. Ireland was never known as "little Britain".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2018 10:21 PM

Gregory Peck is an excellent example of black Irish. I went to England in 1984. I thought the people were very good looking. The women had lovely complexions and were tallish and thin. When the English are young, they are beautiful. I think it is different now, the young women are often fat and coarse looking. This just wasn't the case when I visited back in the mid-80's.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2018 10:34 PM

Of course I am aware that it is disputed by some r69, climate change is disputed by some, there are people that dispute the planet we are sat on is round and that contrails are just water vapour and believe that the government is deliberately spraying us with chemicals so try and find something that is not disputed. The fact remains that the archipelago has been widely known as the British Isles for centuries and that includes Ireland, disputed by some, probably Fenian or otherwise. As to my Little Britain reference it was a little tongue in cheek, 'Μικρὰ Βρεττανία' explains the reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2018 7:48 AM

Irish eyebrows can be very distinct. Think of Morrissey or the Gallaghers.

by Anonymousreply 72December 7, 2018 8:02 AM

Welsh have an ovine appearance and smell like leeks.

by Anonymousreply 73December 7, 2018 10:25 AM

The Welsh aren't fond of bathing frequently. Stingy and mean as hell too.

by Anonymousreply 74December 8, 2018 12:04 PM

Irish potato face:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 8, 2018 6:08 PM

It’s hard to tell them apart until they open their mouths, as they’ve all got the same tragic dress sense and downbeat manner.

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2018 8:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!