Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How come Meryl and Charles Dance didn't get along when making "Plenty"?

He famously did not get along with her and said it was hard work. Tracy Ullman brought it up that they both failed to get along with him when they all made "Plenty" together in the 80s.

Any inside info?

Any other actor spoken against the much feted M?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2019 3:54 AM

Good question..

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2018 3:31 PM

Charles Dance is working class, and Meryl Streep is from a very well-to-do family. He's also not very good with women.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2018 4:22 PM

He wouldn't sleep with her?

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2018 5:16 PM

His role was secondary to hers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2018 5:27 PM

I love Charles Dance but I can easily imagine not loving him if I were a female who had to act with him. He's a bit of a pig about women in general and powerful women? Forget it.

A great actor, his Tywin Lannister put the rest of those boys to shame. Only Sean Bean could have matched him and Ned Stark was dead before Tywin made the scene. Come to think of it, Bean is another pig about women.

Weird story not long ago about one woman having Dance's baby in hospital while he was publicly running around with someone else. He stopped in to see the baby for a minute, or refused to, I don't remember. Tawdry stuff and he didn't come off well, I recall that much.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2018 5:45 PM

He was a DIsney fan?

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2018 1:04 AM

If Tracy didn't get along with him, either, then he was probably a douche

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2018 1:05 AM

My guess is Dance expected M to sleep with him. She found his personality repellent and declined. His ego took a huge dive and they spent the remainder of the film loathing each other.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2018 1:07 AM

Loved him in WHITE MISCHIEF...seemed rather attractive, alas, he is a ginger, so he didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2018 1:08 AM

His quote:

Let's just say I found her a little distant. I hardly got to know her. We had dinner a couple of times, but she only spoke about work. I didn't find her easy to work with, but it's not her job to make it easy for me.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2018 1:17 AM

I worked with Mr. Charles Dance on the London stage, and he was delightful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2018 1:18 AM
by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2018 6:25 PM

Plenty was a dreadful, boring movie.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2018 6:59 PM

did she hate him more than Dustin Hoffman??

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2018 7:04 PM

Juicy

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2018 9:32 PM

Likely she wanted to sleep with him, he found her too blue-stocking to be sexy and it was nothing but coolness never since.

Remember in the 80s Meryl would book movies to fuck her leading men. See Nicholson, De Niro.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2019 3:03 PM

Fetid M?

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2019 3:08 PM

Tracey couldn’t stand him either. That’s all you need to know. He’s a dick. She’s incredibly easy to get along with.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2019 3:11 PM

I saw Plenty and it was plenty boring and stupid. One of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2019 3:12 PM

Dance directed Maggie Smith and Judi Dench in "Ladies in Lavender", and is set to direct his second movie, starring Joanna Lumley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2019 3:29 PM

^^ a mere 15 years later

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2019 3:41 PM

I saw Kate Nelligan in “Plenty,” on Broadway in 1983. She was mesmerizing. Real coup de theatre finale visually and emotionally. Edward Herrmann played her sincere, but milquetoast husband.

An effective theater piece, the play did not translate well to the screen. Better to see glimpses of reality on stage, than realistic outdoor settings on film. Nelligan was a powerhouse, steamrolling over everyone and everything in what is almost a stylized play about disillusionment, after the high of winning WWII.

The movie was necessarily more underplayed. Dance was better looking, but working against type as the milquetoast. Streep might have been brilliant in the role onstage, but seemed overwhelmed by the movie’s more realistic approach.

Ultimately, the movie seemed very much at cross purposes with itself, and lost the real fire it had onstage.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2019 3:57 PM

I love the nickname Myrtle Sheep!

We should use that here!

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2019 4:01 PM

Kate Nelligan in the stage production of PLENTY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote] He's also not very good with women.

Hopefully Diana Rigg slapped him around a bit.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2019 4:33 PM

WHET Kate Nelligan? I just checked her imdb page and she hasn't acted in film or TV in a decade.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2019 4:48 PM

"Remember in the 80s Meryl would book movies to fuck her leading men. See Nicholson, De Niro."

She booked movies with them because they are great actors. She wouldn't need to co-star with them to sleep with them, it's not like actors don't socialize outside of work

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2019 2:30 AM

He was so hot circa Jewel in the Crown/White Mischief.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote]Real coup de theatre finale visually and emotionally.

Could you describe that r22

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2019 2:56 AM

As a teen I used to get a thrill watching Charles Dance in White Mischief, they used to play it a lot late at night on HBO

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2019 3:19 AM

Is that the movie r30 where he emerges from the ocean all tan and buff? If so that was a teen favorite of mine too.

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote]r26 WHET Kate Nelligan? I just checked her imdb page and she hasn't acted in film or TV in a decade.

I know around 1988 she was considered to be very difficult to work with, at least in one particular play.

I don't know if that was a regiular part of her personality or not...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2019 3:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!