Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Katherine MacGregor is dead to me! DEAD TO ME!!

Katherine MacGregor, who portrayed the gossipy Harriet Oleson on the long-running NBC drama Little House on the Prairie, has died. She was 93.

MacGregor died Tuesday at the Motion Picture and Television Fund's retirement home in Woodland Hills, a spokeswoman confirmed.

From 1974 to 1983, MacGregor appeared as Harriet, the wife of mild-mannered Mercantile general store owner Nels Oleson (Richard Bull), on 153 episodes of Little House on the Prairie, covering all nine seasons of the series that was set in the 1870s and '80s in Walnut Grove, Minn.

"I look for the humor of Mrs. Oleson," she told the Santa Cruz Sentinel in 1981. "She was originally painted as just black-and-white mean. Anyone that mean has to be a fool. So I began mixing farce into it. I think the audience counts on seeing Mrs. Oleson fall on her fanny."

Melissa Gilbert, who starred as Laura Ingalls Wilder on the series, paid tribute to MacGregor on Twitter.

After Little House on the Prairie ended, MacGregor appeared onscreen only once more, in a 2014 short film. She was said to be on a pilgrimage in India during the filming of the post-series TV movie The Last Farewell in 1984.

Born Dorlee Deane MacGregor on Jan. 12, 1925, she was raised in Fort Collins, Colo., attended Denver University and graduated from Northwestern. She moved to New York in 1949 and studied under Sanford Meisner, Stella Adler and N. Richard Nash, who cast her on Broadway in 1958's Handful of Fire.

Billed as Scottie McGregor, she appeared in a national tour of The Seven Year Itch in the mid-1950s and played a longshoreman's mother in Elia Kazan's On the Waterfront (1954). She later had guest-starring roles on such series as East Side/West Side, Mannix, Emergency!, All in the Family and Ironside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2018 11:17 PM

Melissa Gilbert's remembrance...

I just got word that Katherine MacGregor passed away yesterday. This woman taught me so much... about acting... vintage jewelry...life. She was outspoken and hilariously funny. A truly gifted actress as she was able to play a despicable character but with so much heart. Her Harriet Oleson was the woman our fans loved to hate. A perfect antagonist. The thing people outside of our prairie family didn’t know, was how loving and nurturing she was with the younger cast. I really loved her and I find great comfort knowing that she is at peace and, per her beliefs, her soul has moved on to its next incarnation. Farewell Scottie. I hope with all my heart we meet again next time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2018 9:39 PM

No comment from Susan Dey yet?

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2018 9:41 PM

This makes me sad. She died on the same day as my dear mom.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2018 9:45 PM

That bitch Susan Dey wouldn't know a social nicety if it smacked her in the face with a tambourine.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2018 9:47 PM

Did Nellie Olsen comment yet?

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2018 9:51 PM

Great actress. She brought real heart to two of my favorite episodes of the whole series, "Family Quarrel," from the first year, when the Olesons bickering over the price of eggs cause them almost to divorce (making the whole town realize what that might be like), and "The Preacher Takes a Wife," where she tries to prevent Rev. Alden from marrying because as a young woman her heart was broken by a preacher who chose the church over her.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2018 9:52 PM

Neeeeeels

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2018 9:54 PM

Alison Arngrim posted this (partially inscrutable) message on her Facebook page. It references MacGregor's bonkers spirituality.

[quote]It looks like everyone has heard by now...last night my friend Eric Caron wrote to me to let me know that Katherine MacGregor's friend and caretaker had reached out to him to let him know that she passed away yesterday morning. My second mother has now gone to her rest. But...our Katherine was a follower of Vedanta, (a student of the teachings of Swami Chetananda and Swami Vivekananda.) "...Then the knots of the heart are torn, and all doubts vanish. The clouds of delusion are dispersed, and the glorious sun shines through. The disembodied Jiva, now becomes Shiva, and He laughs out thinking of all that had been happening to Him. In a trice, all these worlds disappear, the earth and the other worlds disappear, and the Atman sees that Atman alone exists. Ekam evam Advitiam, the One without a second. The self-existent now revels in ITSELF only, it understands that all this was just a play that Maya was playing with Atman." She is not gone. She has simply finished this particular play. And with the love of all her friends and fans, she will live forever.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2018 9:58 PM

She was a great actress and she really made Harriet a very memorable character. The audience loved to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2018 10:11 PM

Aw, I loved her. Looks like no one had her in the death predictions.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2018 10:17 PM

What very nice tributes from Alison and Melissa.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2018 10:19 PM

I loved "Harriet's Happenings" (about her gossip column in the local paper) and the episode (can't remember the name) where a snake oil pitchman came to town and she got drunk off her ass on patent medicine.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2018 10:21 PM

Loved her as Mrs. Oleson. And Melissa and Alison's tributes are lovely.

Her spirituality isn't so far out of whack with a lot of others. Buddhism is very similar. I hope she is wherever she believed or hoped she'd be.

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2018 1:20 AM

She and Karen Grassle would take acting classes together during the run of "Little House"

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2018 1:22 AM

Will Lindsay Sydney Greenbush comment?

Karen Grassle?

Shannen Doherty?

Sara Gilbert?

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2018 1:24 AM

How sad. I loved her as Mrs. Oleson.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2018 1:25 AM

Has Karen overcome her mobility issues?

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2018 1:32 AM

She's soaking in her walk-in tub, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2018 1:33 AM

Melissa Sue Anderson posted this on Twitter:

[quote]Fond memories of Oleson's Mercantile working with Richard Bull and Katherine MacGregor, our Nels and Harriet. They are reunited. R.I.P. Scotty.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2018 8:15 PM

And Missy Francis, who was one of the new generation of kids on the last couple seasons, posted this on Twitter:

[quote]Sad day for the #LittleHouseonthePrairie family. #KatherineMacGregor stole every scene she entered. Always generous with her energy and wisdom. She will be missed, but her spirit will live on.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2018 8:16 PM

National Day of Mourning at the datalounge!!!!

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2018 6:10 PM

Her character was the cuntiest cunt who ever cunted.

Thank you, Ms. MacGregor. You done the DL proud!

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2018 6:21 PM

Surprised there haven't been more comments. I guess many of the long-time DLers are really gone.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2018 6:24 PM

I heard she was president of her homeowners association. In Los Angeles for many years and was a little bit Mrs. Olsonish at times. Many gay men who put on airs modeled themselves after her.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2018 6:43 PM

She did a great 2-part interview about Little House for the old DVD releases. She was quite a character. Love Richard "Nels" Bull story about their first interactions.

Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2018 11:16 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2018 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!