Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has the whole "Life Coach" fad run its course?

It seems like 7 years ago every 40 something gay guy said he was a "life coach". I haven't heard it as much recently. Or does it just have a new name now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2018 12:27 PM

I've always wondered how many life coaches are having sex with their clients.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2018 3:15 AM

I always found it amusing that every one who I ran into who called themselves a life coach were people that weren't terribly successful in life.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2018 3:16 AM

I met someone this morning who said she was a life coach but she was acting more like she just got out of prison.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2018 3:16 AM

I have an acquaintance who is one and who used to post a lot about all the conferences she attended. It was always something about "train the trainer." I got the feeling her whole life was spent just being with other life coaches and wondered if she ever actually "coached" anyone. I don't see how anyone could make a living at that. Who the hell HIRES them?

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2018 3:21 AM

People who have to much money to be motivated to push themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2018 3:25 AM

You don't become a "Life Coach" unless you failed at your own life.

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2018 3:31 AM

That black guy busted for plagiarism at the new York Times became a Life Coach.

But not his boss.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2018 3:33 AM

A lady at work (a secretary) left the job when she married again at 50, moved out of town, and was going to make extra income by life coaching. I ran into her a few years later and she was back in town, divorced again and doing secretarial work again somewhere. So, yeah, I think it was a fad. If you needed life advice I couldn’t see why you’d at least see a professional counselor anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2018 3:54 AM

My straight (with bi inclinations) female cousin is a life coach. She does hold a degree in psychology and a PHD from the London School of Economics. She was very successful till two years ago when she divorced her husband an fell into a deep depression, quit her well paid job and now is doing the Life Coach thing. She seems happy, well at least she experienced success in the past.

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2018 4:15 AM

It's like "consultant," another vague, hazy job title that people make up to avoid saying "unemployed."

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2018 4:32 AM

I'm a conceptual artist - life coach - interior design consultant - aromatherapist.

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2018 4:37 AM

Life coach is so 2012. The term is now Accountability Coach.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2018 4:41 AM

I want a life couch.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2018 5:19 AM

R2 and R6 have it: "Life coaching" attracts people who want to be therapists, but are too lazy to get the necessary education and experience.

(R9 appears to know the only Life Coach in the world with real qualifications.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2018 12:17 PM

What R14 said. "Life coaching" has always been about selling "training" and meaningless "certification" to gullible people. The secret they never tell you is there isn't a market for it, you can't actually make a living at it.

That said, I have a friend who is a LCSW (i.e., actually qualified and licensed to counsel people) who uses coaching techniques in his practice and find them useful.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2018 12:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!