Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Next Italy Trip - where should we go this time?

I need some of that amazing Datalounge travel advice.

My hubby and I are taking our next trip to Italy in the early Fall of 2019. I'm thinking September for three to four weeks.

We've been to Rome several times, Venice, Florence, Naples, Pompeii, Positano/Capri, Ravello, and the entire Apuglia region (heel of the boot).

I'm thinking seriously of going to Umbria and a bit of Tuscany. Umbria sounds great as a less-touristy spot, and a place where we might very well like to buy a small home some day. When we visited Florence, we didn't venture out into Tuscany, though, so I'm inclined to do a little tour of the smaller Tuscan towns as well. Since Umbria and Tuscany are neighbors, this doesn't seem like a crazy idea.

Any thoughts? Favorite Umbrian destinations/sights? Favorite Tuscan towns? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2018 2:27 AM

Croatia.

by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2018 4:40 PM

Lombardy.

by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2018 4:44 PM

Ischia. I hated Naples and Capri - both nearby - but Ischia felt completely different. My husband and I went there on our post-marriage holiday, and it was very lovely.

by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2018 4:46 PM

Did a week in Umbria in early October. It’s beautiful and much less crowded than Tuscany. Amazing food and well-priced. The hill tones are lovely, particularly Assisi and Spello in the east and Orvieto in the west. 2-3 weeks there seems a bit much though unless you are content with relaxing in the country with books or by the pool. In that amount of time, you could easily extend your stay into Tuscany.

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2018 4:56 PM

Rented a villa in Umbria for the extended family a few years ago. We were there in the summer for a month, outside Todi. Umbria was very pleasant and much less crowded than Tuscany. We spent about half the time relaxing by the pool and the other exploring the hill towns which are lovely. Lots of low-key restaurants with great food. Also lots of markets offering prepared and semi-prepared foods if you have a kitchen.

Other areas to consider, depending on season and rural/urban preferences would be the Veneto, Lake Garda, Fruili-Guilia, Trieste and the Dolomites

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2018 5:17 PM

In Tuscany I loved San Giminiano and Arezzo.

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2018 5:31 PM

Lake Garda is fantastic. The villages are built right onto the lake.

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2018 5:33 PM

The Olive Garden is a veritable TOUR DE FORCE.

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2018 5:38 PM

On the advice of someone else, we set up our base in San Giminiano and the took day trips to Sierra, Volterra, Lucca, and Pisa. Skip Pisa, but the Oceanside marina de Pisa is very strange and might interest you. We had already stayed in a Florence but you could also do that on a day trip or two.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2018 5:42 PM

Original Ray's

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2018 6:00 PM

I'd suggest crossing the Apennines and spending some time in Bologna. It's famed for its delicious food and some call it the center of food culture for all of Italy. Famed for bolognese sauce, but also meat, cheeses, wines, prosciuto, olives, etc. Tomato sauces there are tempered with cream. Also has a lot of medieval and baroque monuments in the old part of the city. I don't think the scenery is all that, but you're not far from the Apennines and can get up into the mountains quickly. It's less than 2 hours by car from Florence

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2018 6:15 PM

How gay friendly is Italy?

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2018 6:16 PM

R12: this friendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2018 6:44 PM

"Where should WE go THIS time?" Go fuck yourself, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2018 7:03 PM

I had a blast wandering around Tuscany by train. My favorite towns on that trip were Verona and Lucca.

I've heard Siena is lovely as well.

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2018 9:16 PM

Why would you not go elsewhere if you've been there so many times? The world is huge, life is short.

by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2018 10:03 PM

very friendly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2018 10:20 PM

Thank you all for the input thus far. I'm now encouraged that we could do a lot of Umbria and some of Tuscany in three weeks and not feel rushed at all.

R16, We simply love Italy and we might buy a home there some day, so we feel that we should invest time into visiting as many parts as possible. We do travel to other places as well.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2018 12:27 AM

Spent three nights in Urbino and loved it. In winter no less. I can’t imagine how beautiful it would be there in spring. It is a jewel.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2018 12:54 AM

I like the uniforms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2018 1:23 AM

Lake Como.

by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2018 2:08 AM

Sicily OP

It will still be swimming weather in September/October but the crowds will be gone.

The whole island is worth doing--resort towns like Taormina where you can live like royalty at the San Domenico Palace to Palermo, Lampedusa, Cefalu Siracusa, some small towns in between, country estates. And of course, Etna.

It's just beautiful, relatively unspoiled and still feels very European, e.g. different than the US and

If you have extra time, the Aeolian Islands are incredible too.

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2018 2:18 AM

[quote]How gay friendly is Italy?

Italy is not especially gay friendly, especially not compared to the rest of the west. Being gay is still kept pretty low-key and they don't have the same rights that the rest of the west has.

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2018 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!