Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Audrey Hepburn : A Home-wrecker

Audrey Hepburn wept bitterly when William Holden revealed that he could not give her children. Hepburn was prepared to throw it all away and be branded a homewrecker if Oscar-winner Holden would leave his wife and marry her.

“Audrey was the love of my life,” confessed Holden,. “I fell in love. She wanted to get married.”

After a whirlwind affair on the set of romantic comedy Sabrina Fair in 1954, Holden agreed to leave his wife and children and marry her. Unbeknown to Billy Wilder: "People on the set told me later that Bill and Audrey were having an affair, and everybody knew. Well, not everybody! I didn't know."

Hepburn found Holden “the most handsome man I’ve ever met” and they were soon inseparable meeting secretly in his dressing room, at picnics and private dinners.

Holden's step daughter Virginia Gaines said that Holden brought Audrey Hepburn introduce her to his family without admitting he was involved with them. Virginia said one night her mother descended a staircase in full Audrey Hepburn makeup to humiliate Holden amongst dinner guests.

But Hepburn wanted children and when Holden revealed that he had undergone a vasectomy, the actress ended their romance. “She stood looking at him like a hurt, bewildered child as he explained that he’d had a vasectomy years earlier. She ended the affair on the spot.”

Hepburn, desperate to start a family, married actor Mel Ferrer on the rebound, sending heartbroken Holden on a world-class drinking spree.

Despite her squeaky-clean image Hepburn enjoyed several extramarital affairs and questioned her acting ability. “I never thought I was a good actress,” she lamented. “I’m no Laurence Olivier, no virtuoso talent.”

Learning of her husband’s frequent infidelities, in revenge she had an affair with screenwriter Robert Anderson, ironically while filming his movie The Nun’s Story.

But in 1961 Hepburn and Holden were reunited on screen for Paris When It Sizzles and Holden had to confront his demons.

“I realised that I had to face Audrey and I had to deal with my drinking,” he said. “I didn’t think I could handle either situation.”

Holden failed dismally. There were days he was so drunk that filming had to shut down. But their romantic scenes inflamed Holden’s passion.

One night he climbed a tree leading to her dressing room window, kissing her when she leaned out to see him.

“Bill, stop that!” she exclaimed, sending Holden on another bender.

Driven by her desire for another child Hepburn had an affair with a Spanish prince and again miscarried.

She finally divorced Ferrer and six weeks later married aristocratic Italian psychiatrist Andrea Dotti.

Within six months she was pregnant and spent nine months on bed rest while hearing of her husband’s numerous infidelities.

Hepburn delivered son Luca in 1970 at the age of 40 and happily stayed home nursing, rejecting the lead in Nicholas And Alexandra and the mother’s role in The Exorcist.

But as Dotti’s affairs became more flagrant, a distraught Hepburn filed for divorce.

“She even confided that at one point she had considered suicide,” says Epstein.

After a decade’s absence from Hollywood she returned for the 1979 movie Bloodline, enjoying a fling with married co-star Ben Gazzara.

“Audrey was unhappy in her marriage and hurting. I was unhappy in my marriage and hurting, and we gave solace to each other and we fell in love,” he said.

But when filming ended Gazzara returned to his wife and Hepburn foundered until finding love again with Dutch actor Robert Wolders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 23, 2019 4:05 AM

The heterosexual life is a sick and boring life.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2018 4:04 PM

So many of those people had PTSD from that war and the depression that preceded it. She sounds like she found it hard to keep a relationship and also kept choosing the wrong kind of man. Sad that the 'need' for a child drove her, and him, to more pain.

People are complicated and actors are especially so. I don't think calling anyone a homewrecker in this day and age serves that truth at all. Like so many others from that period of time she likely questioned those religious conventions that both bound people to each other and created the upheavals they all went through. Fit in or not? For people with their profile, there would have been tremendous pressure to appear 'conventional and safe' after the war. There were few people of that generation able to escape it and still have a career.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2018 4:18 PM

R2 = Elder homewrecker

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2018 4:47 PM

Nah, but the Brazilian coffee shop girl made out just fine. Thanks for your concern.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2018 4:48 PM

R3 LMAO

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2018 4:49 PM

Seriously, bitch, these are different times but you're the one using an old ass term like 'homewrecker' in the title....an elder gay judgy fucking word if I ever saw one.

I have to see you as a bitch, too, because Audrey got that luscious man and you're jealous. He WAS perfect while filming Sabrina and she was obviously stupid....like you.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2018 4:52 PM

R6 = Audrey Hepburn's Pussy

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2018 4:56 PM

Audrey loved Bill's hairy body. He had so much more hair than Mel.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2018 5:08 PM

Holden had already fucked around and his wife was already long-suffering before Audrey arrived to survey the wreckage.

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2018 4:46 AM

From thisrecording.com:

[quote]Another person who had plenty of bad things to say about Hepburn was Brenda Marshall, William Holden’s wife at the time that Holden and Hepburn shot Sabrina. Hepburn and Holden carried on an affair. (It was ironic that later in life Audrey would try so hard to create the perfect family and do anything for her children, though she slept with Holden well-knowing that he was married with three kids.) Holden would invite Hepburn over to his home for dinner and he, Audrey, and Marshall, who eerily resembled Hepburn, would all eat together. "Audrey felt guilty all through the meal." No! This is Watusi shocking!![/quote]

There are flings and then there are actual home-wreckers. You don't show your face to the wife of the man you're affair-ing unless you're contriving to break up a marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 25, 2018 7:43 PM

Audrey sounds a lot like this cunt I know.

by Anonymousreply 11December 25, 2018 7:56 PM

Audrey's best friend Cspucine was Holden's girlfriend in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 12December 25, 2018 7:58 PM

Hi, Audrey!!! Call me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 25, 2018 8:00 PM

Holden had other affairs and already had a drinking problem. Hepburn probably made the right decision in not carrying things further, whetver the shortcomings of her marriage to Ferrer.

by Anonymousreply 14December 25, 2018 8:05 PM

Most of Holden's other affairs were not so brazen as to show up at his home having dinner with the suffering wife present. Yeah, Holden was scum, bu Audrey was also, in this case, a definite home-wrecker.

by Anonymousreply 15December 25, 2018 8:26 PM

She did Robin and Marian in '76. Terrible movie. Big flop. Nobody wanted to see these two middle aged and meeting their end in suicide and murder.

by Anonymousreply 16December 25, 2018 8:51 PM

agreed with r16. R&M was a awful flop, its box office all the more disappointing because Hepburn made it seem like a one-time-out-of-retirement deal. The 3-4 rabid Hepburn Stans on DL always try to change history to make R&M seem successful and that Hepburn's appealed lasted into the 70s. But nope, sorry. R&M was a flop and all of Hepburn's subsequent movies/ TV specials also disappointed. She could no longer get good roles in her 40s, as her biography on youtube also says. Hepburn's star would not glow again until the Unicef gig that gave her great publicity.

by Anonymousreply 17December 26, 2018 2:49 AM

Audrey Hepburn is worshipped by women who feel superior to women who worship Marilyn Monroe.

Because Audrey was “classy” an

by Anonymousreply 18December 26, 2018 2:58 AM

^^ and what I call a “stealth slut”.

Gwyneth Paltrow is one.

Grace Kelly was another.

They seem pure and classy, but they hoes.

by Anonymousreply 19December 26, 2018 3:00 AM

I'd take Ferrer over that prematurely-aged boozebag Holden anytime. I watched Lili recently and couldn't believe how cute he was.

by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2018 3:00 AM

r18 Audrey is to underweight women what Marilyn is to overweight women.

by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2018 3:05 AM

Two questions 1, WTH did men find so irresistible about her? I don’t see it, especially knowing all of the gorgeous women of that era. 2. What is “full Audrey make-up”? Again, what would be so signature about her make-up?!

by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2018 3:12 AM

R22 here

😅😂 Too much eggnog. I was thinking Katherine. It makes total sense now.

by Anonymousreply 23December 26, 2018 3:15 AM

Oh please! When she takes away the father of EIGHT children from their mother call me

by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2018 3:37 AM

r22 "Full Audrey Makeup" is the Sabrina look. It consists of eyes, brows and lips all painted far beyond their boundaries for the sake of enlargement. This is an optical illusion that works wonders to make large nostrils and jaws look smaller by making the other features bigger instead.

Note how much of the upper portions of her eyebrows were completely painted on, stroke by stroke to fake as real brow hair. Same with the fake-painted upper lip. The eye makeup is the most exaggerated from among Audrey's peers, with heavy upper falselies to create bambi eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 26, 2018 3:39 AM

Pre Full Audrey Makeup in 1951's Secret People. Her real face is a dull boxy face with small eyes, big nose, small lips and wide jaws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2018 3:42 AM

One more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 26, 2018 3:43 AM

sorry Secret People was 1952

by Anonymousreply 28December 26, 2018 3:45 AM

She was a strumpet!

by Anonymousreply 29December 26, 2018 4:49 AM

She was a bad actress. Most of her performances are embarrassing to watch. Wait until Dark, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 30December 26, 2018 5:48 AM

Too Frau the Role is IMO the truly embarrassing movie, with an over the hill Audrey still affecting the mannerish of the ingenue she once was in the early 50s. The tacky mod gear actually made her looked even older than she already was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2018 9:31 PM

R19 LOL! Recently, a Grace Kelly stan on YouTube said something like "Judy Garland was a druggy who was married multiple times and Grace Kelly was a respectable lady and married only one time to one man for 26 years until her untimely death." She got so furious when I pointed out that Kelly had had affairs with married co*stars Clark Gable, William Holden, Gary Cooper, Bing Crosby, and Ray Milland, as well as HIGH NOON director Fred Zinneman and dumped fashion designer Oleg Cassini to marry Rainier, which was a business arrangement, anyway. His people had initially approached Marilyn. Plus, she (or her father, rather) had to pay a $2 million dowry to marry him.

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2018 9:54 PM

R32 Kelly also had an affair with her college professor.

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2018 9:54 PM

I’ve never understood the appeal of William Holden

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2018 12:40 AM

Wasn't Hepburn in some awful movie in which she was a blind woman terrorized by burglars in her home?

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2018 1:06 AM

Wait Until Dark, a hagploitation film kinda like Lady In a Cage. Old woman horror was apparently a thing back in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2018 1:12 AM

I believe all that's posted here about Hepburn.

But I don't give a rat's behind if she went after married penis. So fucking what. She didn't make vows to wives. Their husbands did; they're the homewreckers. I can't believe I have to type those words, of all places, here, and in 2018, soon to be 19.

While I never had the patience to watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's" all the way through (Mickey Rooney, of whom I'm a fan, is unwatchable) and the word "iconic" is way overused, still, that opening scene deserves and has earned that word to describe it. No other actor could make that scene as it is except Hepburn.

"Roman Holiday" is perfect. There's it and then all other romantic comedies before it and ever since. It's ending scene is the best ending of any romantic comedy because it negates it being a romantic comedy, if that makes any sense. Talk about poignant and bittersweet. You know the characters will never see each other again. You know they'll fall in love again. But for the rest of their lives a piece of their heart will never belong to anybody else but to each other.

Gregory Peck, during an interview decades after RH, said that he and Hepburn agreed to do a sequel. Given the powerful ending of RH, I'm surprised they would consider it. I'm so glad it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2018 2:34 AM

So by not having made vows to the wife a home-wrecker is entitled to make things worse for said wife? If the husbands are scum then the home-wreckers are also scum for being their active accomplices.

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2018 2:44 AM

My god, between Audrey and Grace was there any male star of the 1950s who was left untouched in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2018 2:44 AM

Roddy McDowell, too, was likely untouched.

On Audrey: for her to show her home-wrecker face to Brenda Marshall - and at the Holdens' Residence - is just obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2018 3:01 AM

What was Audrey hoping to accomplish by having dinner with Holden's family?

by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2018 3:05 AM

r41 Shove her relationship with William Holden right in Brenda Marshall's face.

by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2018 3:09 AM

the superior hepburn in every way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2018 3:10 AM

R43 Kate would NEVER get involved with a married man.

by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2018 3:12 AM

R44 Spencer was already Irish Divorced from his wife and living on his own by the time she came along.

by Anonymousreply 45December 28, 2018 4:10 AM

Brenda Marshall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 28, 2018 4:22 AM

Beware of young girls...

by Anonymousreply 47December 28, 2018 4:28 AM

Hepburn was not a great artist. Seems like she was a slut, as well.

by Anonymousreply 48December 28, 2018 4:49 AM

Brenda looked a bit like a more feminine version of Andie MacDowell. She was a beauty in her own right.

by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2018 6:48 PM

Emma Thompson all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 50December 30, 2018 6:14 AM

Holden was super handsome in Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 51December 30, 2018 7:45 AM

Emma spoke the truth back then. There's a huge difference between being a movie style icon and being a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 52December 30, 2018 7:52 PM

Kate would NEVER get involved with a [html removed]married [html removed] man.

by Anonymousreply 53December 30, 2018 8:00 PM

[quote]Too Frau the Role

A typo for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 54December 31, 2018 2:38 AM

[quote] Spencer was already Irish Divorced from his wife and living on his own by the time she came along.

The wife actually said in an interview that she never believed the rumors about her husband and Hepburn. He technically still lived with his wife until the end of his life. Now maybe he was "away" a lot but they were still officially a couple.

by Anonymousreply 55December 31, 2018 3:25 AM

An elder (not gay) neighbor in Palm Springs had many different kinds of jobs back in the day when PS was full of Hollywood celebs.

While working at the Indian owned spa he swears on the lives of his children that he caught Robert Wagner plowing Laurence Harvey in the steam room area. Just before closing.

He also drove a cab and says Brenda Marshall was a lush who'd call him directly to order booze. Mostly gin and bourbon. She'd give him a large tip when he made the deliveries to her condo on 111 near Southridge. She was a sloppy gin-soaked hot mess.

I think alcohol was the primary problem in Holden's marriage, not Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 56December 31, 2018 4:06 AM

R18 was killed by the vengeful ghost of Audrey H before he could even finish his sentence!

by Anonymousreply 57December 31, 2018 4:56 PM

r58 Doesn't excuse how Hepburn was an absolute jerk in rubbing the affair in Brenda's face (dinner at the Holdens). It's the way Hepburn go about with the affair that made her a home-wrecker and not just some innocuous random fling.

by Anonymousreply 58December 31, 2018 5:21 PM

Why are you yelling at yourself, silly bitch r58?

by Anonymousreply 59December 31, 2018 5:23 PM

Bill was absolutely beautiful when he debuted in GOLDEN BOY with an 11 years older Barbara Stanwyck (as much as I love her, she was really awful in this)...but his boozing took away his looks. His face was almost dewy looking. Same with Gig Young - another beautiful young man whose drinking ate away at his masculine pulchritude....yeah, I know...MARY!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 31, 2018 5:36 PM

I was struck by the resemblance to Natalie Portman in R26, before the Hepburn look.

by Anonymousreply 61December 31, 2018 5:45 PM

Wow he was gorgeous R60. Audrey was retry but Holden's wife was stunning.

I knew girls with the Audrey Hepburn type look, big Doe eyes and small chin. They'd use it to look up at guys all sweet and innocent and the man would be putty in their hands. I'm not surprised she was like that at all. She was probably addicted to the high of "taking" someone else's man and then rubbing the wife's face in it.

by Anonymousreply 62December 31, 2018 5:46 PM

Attractive not retry. ^ R62

by Anonymousreply 63December 31, 2018 5:47 PM

r62 Hepburn's "big doe eyes" were completely painted on as evidenced by the pics in r26 and r27 . She was a plain jane who got a spectacular makeover, and let the change got to her head.

by Anonymousreply 64December 31, 2018 5:54 PM

She did have fairly big eyes even without make up R64, just not cartoonishly big like they were with make up.

by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2018 5:58 PM

Really big nostrils and jaws in r27.

by Anonymousreply 66December 31, 2018 6:03 PM

Skinny, big nose, big feet. But it all worked. She was heartbreakingly gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 67December 31, 2018 6:04 PM

One more from 1952 Secret People

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 31, 2018 6:07 PM

Young Hepburn before the makeover looked a lot like Sissy Spacek, actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 31, 2018 6:09 PM

Just to give life to this dreadful thread - did Bill Hardon ever enjoy the homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 70December 31, 2018 6:37 PM

So ultimately strange as it may sound William Holden Hollywood legend decided that Stephanie powers was a more suitable partner in his latter years than iconic beauty Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 71December 31, 2018 6:43 PM

Well she is gorgeous R71.

by Anonymousreply 72December 31, 2018 6:57 PM

When they met is was MOYDAH!

by Anonymousreply 73December 31, 2018 6:58 PM

Lol! R73. -R72

by Anonymousreply 74December 31, 2018 7:00 PM

And younger than Hepburn, who was already past 40 by the time the Holden/Power thing came into being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 31, 2018 7:01 PM

R60 - pretty tho Holden was when young - he failed to make an impact or get the roles he wanted. Supposedly one of the big directors or someone up high told him he was too young and was too blandly good looking - and would have more success when he got older and developed some real character. Which is kinda what happened. Personally - I liked the younger, dewy version.

by Anonymousreply 76December 31, 2018 7:21 PM

Sissy Spacek should lobby for the lead role in THE NANETTE FABRAY STORY...the producers would save a ton on makeup.

by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2019 12:55 AM

Wasn’t Bill Holden rumored to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 78January 2, 2019 12:58 AM

R78 everyone on DL is rumored to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 79January 2, 2019 1:00 AM

R79 no, I know, I should have clarified. I mean really rumored gay. Hence: really is over emphasized.

by Anonymousreply 80January 2, 2019 1:01 AM

Oh, please, R1. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 81January 2, 2019 1:05 AM

Fuck off, R3.

by Anonymousreply 82January 2, 2019 1:26 AM

Audrey H was pretty much a whore, even after she married.

Part of it was her anorexia - she couldn’t EAT, so she had to act out SOMEHOW.

by Anonymousreply 83February 16, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote]it. No other actor could make that scene as it is except Hepburn.

Bitch please. She wore sunglasses and nibbled on a bagel.

by Anonymousreply 84February 16, 2019 2:53 AM

Bill Holden really lost his looks, quick.

by Anonymousreply 85February 16, 2019 2:56 AM

Looks like she got a nose job, after r26.

by Anonymousreply 86February 16, 2019 2:59 AM

R84 It was a pastry.

by Anonymousreply 87February 16, 2019 3:02 AM

R84 I know, right? He made it sound like she gave an exceptional monolog or something.

by Anonymousreply 88February 16, 2019 3:32 AM

R62 one the only films I have seen Brenda Marshall in - or that she had a significant role in - was THE CONSTANT NYMPH. She played Joan Fontaine’s sister, and she looked just as pretty as Joan, which is no mean feat.

by Anonymousreply 89February 17, 2019 4:37 AM

Brenda was a beauty. The only thing AH had on her was youth.

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2019 8:21 PM

R11 I know one too

by Anonymousreply 91February 17, 2019 8:35 PM

Is there bad blood betwixt Julia Roberts and Isabelle Adjani?

by Anonymousreply 92February 17, 2019 8:51 PM

Miss America's Sweerheart snagged the strapping young Daniel Day Lewis away from Adjani who was left out in the cold plump, pregnant and alone.

by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2019 8:55 PM

Audrey's father disappeared in her childhood so she looked for father-substitutes.

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Slut

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2019 9:00 PM

You’re all a bunch of boozebags in my book.

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2019 9:15 PM

Incidentally, do you think Katharine Hepburn resented Audrey taking the surname Hepburn? There was no one else by that name in the business, and it wasn't Audrey' real surname, anyway.

I know I would hate it if I had a somewhat unique name and then some whippersnapper came along using the same name but it's not really theirs.

by Anonymousreply 97February 18, 2019 2:48 PM

Holden and Stanwyck were miscats in Golden Boy. There's a smiliar film made by Warners with John Garfield that was much better. Golden Boy works as a play (saw it in revival) with the right cast, despite the dated, somewhat ludicrous plot.

by Anonymousreply 98February 18, 2019 11:02 PM

Hepburn was very young when she had her affair with Holden. At that age, you can become obsessed with a lover to the point where your behaviour is totally out of character. We have all been fools for love and she was no exception. Holden’s wife was an alcoholic, like him. Audrey dodged a bullet when she decided to walk away.

by Anonymousreply 99February 18, 2019 11:20 PM

A friend of mine used to be close with one of William Holden's sons. According to him, Audrey was not the only woman Dad brought home to family dinner. Apparently he liked to bring his current squeeze there to make Ardis (Brenda Marshall's real name) squirm.

Nice fella.

by Anonymousreply 100February 19, 2019 12:13 AM

Hepburn was already in her mid 20s when she affaired Holden. Hardly too young to have agency over her actions. Yeah Holden was a dick, but Hepburn was a eager and active accomplice in the tasteless dickery.

by Anonymousreply 101February 19, 2019 3:07 PM

And I feel for Brenda. She was obviously enduring the marriage only because she deemed her kids too young to handle their parents separating. Once the kids were old enough, she divorced Holden like any self-repecting wife should. She was trying to be a good mother putting her children's interests ahead of her own, and I find that admirable alcoholic or not.

by Anonymousreply 102February 19, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]Hepburn was already in her mid 20s when she affaired Holden.

This reminds me of my local commuter line, which announces that the rear three cars of the train will not "platform" at certain stations.

by Anonymousreply 103February 19, 2019 3:23 PM

What a whore.

by Anonymousreply 104February 23, 2019 4:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!