Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mackinac Island

DLers: Tell Me About Mackinac Island, Michigan. I've only seen pictures and it looks beautiful. Would you recommend it as a vacation spot for a long weekend or would my friends and I be bored? I understand that there are no cars allowed and I like that idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2018 3:16 AM

What am I, psychic?

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2018 2:23 AM

I grew up a couple hours away. Nice for a day or two but I wouldn’t travel far for it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2018 2:25 AM

A hidden homosexual paradise.

The Fire Island Pines of the midwest

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2018 2:28 AM

Do you mean now, or in 1912?

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2018 2:30 AM

Really beautiful, and really expensive which sort of helps keep the riff-raff out. Longer than 3 or 4 days and you will be ready to move on.

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2018 2:31 AM

Looks tacky.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2018 2:35 AM

OP, watch Somewhere in Time.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2018 2:39 AM

A friend who has since passed away took his mother there, years ago. She told him that the rainbow flags she saw meant the homeowner was a good gardener ( because, cmon, all of them were ). That always made me smile.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2018 2:45 AM

It would be great for a long weekend. It is beautiful. There are plenty of restaurants, tours, biking. There is an old civil war fort still standing there and a butterfly house. It is not flashy or wild, but it’s lovely.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2018 2:47 AM

You'll feel right at home, OP! They welcome fudgepackers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2018 3:00 AM

It's where Mackinacian nuts originated.

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2018 4:08 AM

This will tell you everything you need to know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2018 4:55 AM

"I was on an island once. They all look alike...ROUND."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2018 5:03 AM

The Grand Hotel!

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2018 5:25 AM

The home if some pretty amazing fudge packers.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2018 5:30 AM

The water is beautifully clear there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2018 9:17 AM

Looks beautiful in the winter too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2018 9:18 AM

Only buy your fudge at the original Joann's Fudge.

I had sampled a lot of fudge, and then started to compare stories with the people that worked on the island. It was nearly 3 to 1 were in agreement that Joann's #1 is where the most experienced fudge makers are assigned. I was sorry I didn't buy more. I ate my one box not an hour away in the car. It was that good!

My favorite restaurant there is the Pink Pony.

I've been twice now.

If you know someone that lives in northern Michigan, beg them to try to get you a discounted ferry pass. I lucked into a 2-4-1 deal. Saved about $30 on the ferry ride to the island. Unfortunately, I went with my 72 year-old mother. We got a tandem. I did the pedaling for two. I burned off that box of fudge easily.

I went in August. I thought it was going to be flaming hot. I got lucky. That morning was foggy and cold. By the time I got to the island, it had cleared, but it didn't really warm up. It ended up being a beautiful, cool day and perfect for biking and walking around. I didn't get sweaty at all.

Those lakes there are just amazing. Water as far as you can see, and it's so clear, and clean. You can see the bottom, and it's all fresh water. It's unreal.

by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2018 10:03 AM

r12 I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about movies, and especially about musicals, but I've never heard of that one--nor have I ever heard of Johnny Johnston.

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2018 3:27 PM

If you rent a bike to ride around the entire island, ride clockwise from the docks, toward the Grand Hotel. Fewer people that way.

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2018 3:47 PM

It’s great! Biking. Kite flying. Swimming. Golf. Horse back riding. A historic fort. The water is beautiful. Chilly but beautiful. Fun shops. Good food. Beautiful little houses and gardens. Candy/fudge/popcorn. The Grand Hotel is a little worn but fun and nothing beats a sunrise on it’s magnificent veranda. 10/10 would recommend for a long weekend.

by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2018 4:34 PM

The fort is colonial, not civil war era.

by Anonymousreply 22November 2, 2018 4:40 PM

Can you get Mackinaw peaches on Mackinac island?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 2, 2018 4:45 PM

It’s that Block Island of the Midwest

by Anonymousreply 24November 2, 2018 4:46 PM

When I was a cute college student, I was offered a summer job there that included free housing. I ended up working elsewhere that summer but had I known that it was a gay mecca, I would have accepted the job. Perhaps one day I'll visit.

by Anonymousreply 25November 2, 2018 4:56 PM

R20 I always have ridden around clockwise and this summer I noticed me and my friend were the only ones and got strange looks. Is there some unwritten rule now?

by Anonymousreply 26November 2, 2018 5:00 PM

I went there on family vacations when I was a kid and I worked there as a bartender at The Pink Pony lounge one summer when I was in college. I had a blast both times even though I wasn't out of the closet, The men who owned the cottages on the bluff would come into the bar and complain about their wives and kids and leave NO tips. The hot Native American wharf drovers would come in and tipped generously. One guy had sexy scars on his face!

by Anonymousreply 27November 2, 2018 5:26 PM

A couple weeks before my mom died, she asked my dad, “If I pull thru, can we stay at the big hotel on Mackinaw?” He said yes, and then left the room to cry. It was one of the sweetest moments I ever saw between them.

by Anonymousreply 28November 2, 2018 6:09 PM

Awww R28, that touched me. Literally made me want to cry. Your dad must have been a good man. I'm sorry your mother passed away so soon and never got to stay at the hotel. Life can be so damn cruel to people who least deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2018 8:48 AM

I wouldn't call Mackinac a gay mecca, but it's one of the few places in Michigan where it's somewhat acceptable to be out and open. Keep in mind that people from all walks of life ferry over, so you'll get the hetero-stare from some people if you walk around hand in hand.

A couple of days there would be fun....biking, beaches, restaurants, check out the fort (which is worth a couple of hours of your time, especially when the staff give explanations of the features), and stroll the Grand Hotel inside and out.

We took the high powered ferry; it may have been one of the jet ferries, which was fun. Sometimes the ferries will stop directly under the Mackinac Bridge and turn off its engine.

Research when big regattas and other large events are happening (I know there's a big City of Detroit or State of Michigan annual political event, for example) that make the island quite overcrowded and lodging prices higher than average.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2018 10:03 PM

Bayfield and Madeline Island Wisconsin sound like the Wisconsin version. Might actually have more to do -

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2018 10:14 PM

If your choices for a gay-friendly vacation spot in Michigan are Mackinac Island and Saugatuck, I'd choose Mackinac Island.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2018 9:49 PM

They show this on TCM from time to time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2018 3:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!