Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whitey Bulger Dead?

@KNX1070

BREAKING: It's been reported that Boston mobster James “Whitey” Bulger has been killed after arriving at a federal prison in West Virginia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 21, 2018 9:51 PM

Will anyone grieve him?

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2018 4:50 PM

What goes around, comes around.

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2018 4:56 PM

How did he survive in prison for so long yet gets shanked within a day of arriving at this place? If someone wanted to kill him to make a point, they should have done it years ago.

I believe we have a DLer whose boss was killed on Bulger’s orders.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2018 4:59 PM

I wonder what her connections are, she knew hours ago:

Someone finally got to Whitey bulger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2018 5:08 PM

Probably running his mouth to the wrong guys, thinking he was still a somebody.

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2018 5:13 PM

He snitched on too many and knew his days were numbered.Wonder if Patraica mob cashed him out....?An who will run Winter Hill Gang now????

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2018 5:13 PM

I guess he was in a State Prison before he got transferred to this Fed pen.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2018 5:13 PM

Johnny Depp’s last good film role. Now Whitey’s dead just like his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2018 5:14 PM

He was still alive?

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2018 5:16 PM

His most wanted poster was so contradictory. "Whitey and his girlfriend love animals and are known to frequent stray animal shelters." LOL WTF

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2018 5:20 PM

I thought federal prison was much less dangerous than state prisons?

[quote]The union president at the WV prison just told me they have had three homicides there in 7 months "we are very understaffed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2018 5:21 PM

So did I, r11...

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2018 5:24 PM

@abc7marccr

#BREAKING CONFIRMED: @AP reports James "Whitey" Bulger, Boston gangster who was once one of America's most wanted fugitives, has been found dead in prison. He was 89. #abc7eyewitness

by Anonymousreply 13October 30, 2018 5:29 PM

They did him a favor. Who wants to be 90 in prison?

by Anonymousreply 14October 30, 2018 5:49 PM

Why do evil people live so long?

by Anonymousreply 15October 30, 2018 5:49 PM

God needed another angel

by Anonymousreply 16October 30, 2018 5:56 PM

[QUOTE]Why do evil people live so long?

Evil seems to be good for the heart.

by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2018 6:09 PM

maybe he's faking it...again

by Anonymousreply 18October 30, 2018 6:20 PM

Looks like the Mafia got to him. Quite a feather in their cap.

by Anonymousreply 19October 30, 2018 6:53 PM

I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 20October 30, 2018 6:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 30, 2018 6:58 PM

NYTimes says cause of death under investigation.

by Anonymousreply 22October 30, 2018 6:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 30, 2018 6:59 PM

This being datalounge I’m surprised it’s taken so long but he was a hot twink. Wonder if any dataloungers was his daddy.

by Anonymousreply 24October 30, 2018 7:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 30, 2018 7:07 PM

Anybody who might have been would be long dead, R24.

by Anonymousreply 26October 30, 2018 7:10 PM

Are they going to dig a hole at night in some marshy area near the airport and bury him? Cause he doesn't deserve to be buried in any normal way. Maybe throw him in the trunk of some abandoned car.

Will we be be able to go and spit on his grave.

by Anonymousreply 27October 30, 2018 7:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 30, 2018 7:14 PM

Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 29October 30, 2018 7:21 PM

[quote] An who will run Winter Hill Gang now????

Frank Costello

by Anonymousreply 30October 30, 2018 7:21 PM

He was heavily rumored to be bi. Spent a lot of time in Ptown in the 70s/80s and reportedly had an affair with Sal Mineo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2018 7:27 PM

No big loss, really

by Anonymousreply 32October 30, 2018 7:32 PM

R4 That tweet IS weird, if only because the story in the Herald said he was found dead at 8:20 in the morning. Unless McIlhenny isn't in the Eastern Time Zone, he knew Whitey was dead before the guards did?

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2018 7:37 PM

[QUOTE]According to survivors of the era, Whitey worked out of a couple of gay bars on Stuart Street, primarily a joint called Mario's, which was also known as the Sail Aweigh. As a young male hustler, he quickly became adept at rolling his tricks--his police record indicates an arrest for "unarmed robbery" on March 18, 1947. Another of his favorite pickup spots was the Punch Bowl, which was frequently raided by the Vice Squad. Whitey may have been hustling to raise some spending money, but he never was exclusively homosexual.

We need a real good, thorough biopic on Whitey. He had a fascinating life and “Black Mass” didn’t do it justice.

by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2018 7:41 PM

[31]....that gay character in the Sopranos was said to be loosely based on Bulger....but his long suffering wife...has denied Whitey was gay.Infact she said he was homophobic.....

by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2018 7:42 PM

My father grew up in South Boston and I remember him mentioning Whitey used to hang out in gay/tranny bars a long time ago

by Anonymousreply 36October 30, 2018 7:47 PM

[QUOTE]that gay character in the Sopranos was said to be loosely based on Bulger....but his long suffering wife...has denied Whitey was gay.Infact she said he was homophobic.....

Nah, the Vito gay plot line was based on a real life gay mobster in New Jersey’s DeCalvacante Crime Family (which The Sopranos is partially based on). Had nothing to do with Whitey.

by Anonymousreply 37October 30, 2018 7:48 PM

Thoughts and prayers!

by Anonymousreply 38October 30, 2018 7:50 PM

Was he a White Supremacist? I like to see those people murdered.

by Anonymousreply 39October 30, 2018 7:52 PM

26 nah this is datalounge. some of the people here sucked off teddy r.

by Anonymousreply 40October 30, 2018 7:54 PM

[QUOTE]Was he a White Supremacist? I like to see those people murdered.

No he was an Irish mobster. In Whitey’s time, Irish people weren’t allowed to be white supremacists. They were part of the dregs of society.

by Anonymousreply 41October 30, 2018 7:55 PM

R38, are you the screaming version of R29?

by Anonymousreply 42October 30, 2018 7:55 PM

[quote] In Whitey’s time, Irish people weren’t allowed to be white supremacists. They were part of the dregs of society.

Why isn’t that the case with today’s poor, white deplorables?

by Anonymousreply 43October 30, 2018 7:57 PM

Did he ever tell where all the stolen Boston Gallery art was?

by Anonymousreply 44October 30, 2018 7:59 PM

His name is White-y so we must respect the man for who we was, a fine man representing the best of white -er, uh, American values.

by Anonymousreply 45October 30, 2018 7:59 PM

R33, it's like a joke in an old Bob Hope movie (Ghost Breakers) when a gangster tells Bob that a prominent mobster had a car accident and was dead.

When did it happen? Bob says

"About an hour from now"

by Anonymousreply 46October 30, 2018 9:09 PM

[quote]Was he a White Supremacist? I like to see those people murdered.

He was behind a lot of the unrest when they tried busing in Boston back in the 70s, angry that they chose Southie kids to be the first bussed.

by Anonymousreply 47October 30, 2018 10:01 PM

I'm surprised that they thought he was worth killing given how old he was. I guess it was the principle of the thing.

by Anonymousreply 48October 30, 2018 10:06 PM

Ya gotta mayntayn ya stannads, unnastan?

by Anonymousreply 49October 30, 2018 10:29 PM

[quote]My father grew up in South Boston and I remember him mentioning Whitey used to hang out in gay/tranny bars a long time ago

Right. Those were so prevalent throughout Southie in the '50s & '60s.

by Anonymousreply 50October 30, 2018 10:35 PM

I had no idea they we’re gay rumors

by Anonymousreply 51October 30, 2018 10:54 PM

I'm surprised the information got out so quickly. Didn't it take a bit longer for Aaron Hernandez's death to come out?

by Anonymousreply 52October 30, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote] for Aaron Hernandez's death to come out?

Unlike him.

by Anonymousreply 53October 30, 2018 10:57 PM

R46 Amazin', huh?

No idea who McIlhenny is other than obvs Boston-based (pics of the cop who got shot in Weymouth this summer and the Bruins banners), so maybe law-enforcement.? But, I mean, was there a hit on Whitey and someone 500 miles away knew about it enough in advance to tweet it out @ 7:17 am before (supposedly?) the guards found him dead at 8:20 am? Meaning, what did the guards know and when did they know it?

It's the official story: quote is from the Globe: "In a statement Tuesday afternoon, the Federal Bureau of Prisons confirmed the increasing reports of Bulger’s death. Officials said he was found around 8:20 a.m. at USP Hazleton, a high-security prison in Bruceton Mills, West Virginia.

Even in death, the mystery continues.

by Anonymousreply 54October 30, 2018 11:06 PM

There was a thread on DL about Osama bin Ladin’s death posted about 12 hours before it was announced by President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 55October 30, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote]

[31].....but his long suffering wife...has denied Whitey was gay.Infact she said he was homophobic.....

You must be very young if you think gay men can't be homophobic. Or feign homophobia as part of their being closeted.

by Anonymousreply 56October 30, 2018 11:15 PM

^ gay or bi meni

by Anonymousreply 57October 30, 2018 11:20 PM

He had no 'wife' by official marriage. He played house with Stanley and ran away with Grieg as his covers for his 'other' life as a confirmed pervert. He would pay to watch through two way mirrors the rape of young girls. He loved to rape young catholic school girls from Cardinal Cushing HS, the younger the better. He prowled SB for years doing this shit while hiding behind some Robin Hood facade of 'keeping the needle pushing heroin using junkies' out of the neighborhood. A fraud, a sick sick human being, and not anything any decent community would claim. His brothers are similar phonies and frauds. His nieces and nephews are seeking to cash in on his reputation by publishing a book. There's even more about this sick pervert and what he did to people in that town. Fuck him straight to hell, where he belongs.

by Anonymousreply 58October 30, 2018 11:44 PM

He's fine! He sends his love!

by Anonymousreply 59October 30, 2018 11:51 PM

Yes, R3, to a DLer whose boss was killed on Whitey's orders or at least one of the men he ordered a hit on. This particular murder was related to a jai alai fronton in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 60October 31, 2018 12:01 AM

R3, it's notoriously 'understaffed' there and a virtual death sentence to get a transfer. He was left alone and they wheeled him into a corner and beat him to death. His eyes were gouged out with a makeshift shiv' as payback and a message for the rat he was. He had no friends left. His book became due, as they say on the street. Before, he may have been able to pay for some protection and get assigned to a prison with better security.

He got what he deserved, only I wish he got it years ago, too. Billy is still waiting for his.

by Anonymousreply 61October 31, 2018 12:08 AM

I read a lot of people were wondering why he was being transferred before this happened, then he turns up dead the next day. Seems like a mob hit. Didn’t he snitch on a rival mob boss?

by Anonymousreply 62October 31, 2018 12:14 AM

He did a whole lot of snitching for a long fucking time, R62, and on ALL of his rivals, but particularly the mob family out of Providence. They don't forget like elephants.

by Anonymousreply 63October 31, 2018 12:17 AM

That prison has a new ghost just in time for Halloween!

by Anonymousreply 64October 31, 2018 1:11 AM

Whitey was a rat who also teamed with the FBI to get the Italian mob in Boston. His brother was the President of the State Senate in Massachusetts...

by Anonymousreply 65October 31, 2018 1:14 AM

Mr. Bulger got to know quite a few prisons over the years.

He had been incarcerated in Arizona, Oklahoma and Florida, and prison workers suggested that he had been moved once again — to Hazelton — after he had threatened a staff member at the Coleman prison complex in Sumterville, Fla. In one case, he was moved for using his charm to obtain special privileges from a prison staff member, according to someone familiar with his situation behind bars who spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing the private nature of the information.

Mr. Bulger had been held in solitary confinement at a federal prison in Florida since March, according to the person. Prison officials had cited behavioral problems on the part of Mr. Bulger as the reason for moving him to solitary confinement, the person said.

For the most part, Mr. Bulger, who strenuously denied ever being a federal informant, was not threatened, harassed or attacked by other inmates in the various federal prisons, the person said.

But there was one instance in which Mr. Bulger was stabbed by another inmate while he was being held at a federal prison in Arizona. According to the person, the reason for the stabbing was unclear, but it was believed the inmate may have carried out the attack to try to get a transfer to another prison.

Mr. Bulger had suffered a series of heart attacks while in prison — more than half a dozen over the years — and was expecting to be moved to a medical facility run by the Bureau of Prisons. Instead, he was relocated to the West Virginia facility, where he was placed in the general prison population, according to some of the federal prison workers.

After Mr. Bulger’s body was found, roadblocks were put in place outside the prison complex, and a lock down — meaning prisoners could not leave their cells — lasted into the evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 31, 2018 1:18 AM

The good die young.

by Anonymousreply 67October 31, 2018 1:32 AM

Whether it’s only one or two or many posters on this thread who live in MA, I want to thank you for sharing it here. Bulger was an uncommonly cruel, vindictive and relentless sociopath who tore through lives like toilet paper; it didn’t matter if they were the kids or wives of his victims, the fathers, or anyone who happened to be unlucky enough to stand in his way, he was a holy terror. Machiavelli could have taken lessons from him. If even a portion of what R61 described is true, it is not a surprise.

R27 posted exactly what and how a lot of people in Boston, or other parts of Massachusetts, would say and feel about the death of Bulger. My deep condolences R27 or any of the other posters here whom I suspect lost friends, family, loved ones, neighbors to that fucker’s calculated, cold blooded whim or choice.

You had to live here in Massachusetts during Whitey’s lifetime to try understand how pernicious and singularly toxic his effect was on the entire state. Just magnify that by tenfold to understand what it meant to be in closer range to Southie or his other specified locations.

by Anonymousreply 68October 31, 2018 1:59 AM

R44 I think you mean the Isabella Stewart Gardiner heist. WBUR/NPR Boston affiliate is running a podcast about that still unsolved case. The priceless stolen artworks have never yet been found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 31, 2018 2:06 AM

GARDNER not Gardiner. Sorry, error due to fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 70October 31, 2018 2:10 AM

Thanks, R69. Yes, that is the heist I was thinking of. I wonder if any of the painting will ever show up?

by Anonymousreply 71October 31, 2018 2:15 AM

The current thinking is that Bulger wasn't involved in the Gardner Heist, but knows who was.

by Anonymousreply 72October 31, 2018 2:15 AM

Amazing the mafia still has so much power to finally make this hit so long after his testimony. I'll bet they catch up with Catherine Greig shortly after her release. The Feds are sure she has $$$ stashed.

by Anonymousreply 73October 31, 2018 2:22 AM

R69, the various true crime forums have felt for years that law enforcement knows who was responsible for the Gardner heist but have never had the evidence to prove it, whether Burger was involved or not.

by Anonymousreply 74October 31, 2018 2:31 AM

Don't mess with the Italian mob.

by Anonymousreply 75October 31, 2018 2:38 AM

Tell us more @R58 Where can one read up on this? The movies and articles on this man don’t mention what you’re saying

by Anonymousreply 76October 31, 2018 2:48 AM

[quote]Amazing the mafia still has so much power to finally make this hit so long after his testimony.

Equally amazing that Bulger managed to elude detection or capture for 17 YEARS after he and his ladyfriend went on the run, despite hiding in plain sight the entire time. He had $850K stash in their apartment in *cash* when he was finally captured! Cash! (Who the fuck uses cash for *anything* in the 21st century, let alone 850 Gs??)

by Anonymousreply 77October 31, 2018 3:03 AM

[quote]Equally amazing that Bulger managed to elude detection or capture for 17 YEARS after he and his ladyfriend went on the run, despite hiding in plain sight the entire time.

Wasn't he thought to have been protected by the government for years, even from ongoing crimes, because he was an FBI informant?

Do I need to go back and reread about him?

by Anonymousreply 78October 31, 2018 3:09 AM

Whitey, who hated that nickname, btw, submitted a winning lottery ticket on two occasions. The big prize, both times. I have to wonder how he did it. For the purpose of laundering money, I’d guess. But how did he get them?

[quote] ...his brother was the President of the State Senate in Massachusetts...

For a long te, yoo. Then he left to become President of UMASS.

by Anonymousreply 79October 31, 2018 3:29 AM

All those "rough" neighborhoods, towns and cities, Somerville, Charlestown, Southie, the North End, the South End, Dorchester... now are all gentrified or in the process of being yuppified.

by Anonymousreply 80October 31, 2018 3:32 AM

Who uses cash, R77? Criminals who have made their money illegally. If you deposit a lot of money in the bank, they and the IRS might ask silly questions like what is the source of your income.

by Anonymousreply 81October 31, 2018 3:34 AM

Boston Strong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 31, 2018 3:36 AM

So was he or was he not protected by the government for years, despite ongoing crimes, because he sometimes was an informant?

by Anonymousreply 83October 31, 2018 3:37 AM

The story of the good and bad brothers ...I wonder if the Showtime series called Brothers with Clarke as lead was based loosely on Whitey and his brother..

by Anonymousreply 84October 31, 2018 3:44 AM

[quote] Whitey, who hated that nickname, btw, submitted a winning lottery ticket on two occasions. The big prize, both times. I have to wonder how he did it.

There was an article I vaguely remember in GQ or Vanity Fair, probably from the 90s, comparing and contrasting Whitey and his brother. Apparently when learning where the winning tickets were sold in Southie, his goons tracked down the winners and threatened them and their families unless they turned over the tickets. They relented and Whitey got his tickets.

by Anonymousreply 85October 31, 2018 3:49 AM

One of the lottery tickets was won by a Southie local who talked about in a bar. Within hours Whitey's crew was on him to surrender it.

by Anonymousreply 86October 31, 2018 3:51 AM

He was beaten to death, apparently. Beaten to the point where he was unrecognizable. One of his assailants reportedly was a Mafia hitman who was serving a life sentence for multiple murders.

by Anonymousreply 87October 31, 2018 4:24 AM

I once worked for a restaurant in PTown. Once a week, I’d rise at 4 am, practically my normal bedtime, and drove to Boston to pick-up restaurant. supplies.

Once, while waiting for a cheese order. A guy entered the shop. He stated to the cheese seller:

“Vinny, they’re coming for me. They’re coming for me. You half to protect me...”

I studied the cans of tomato paste on display, until he left. I understand that the mob is gone since then. But who knows?

by Anonymousreply 88October 31, 2018 4:29 AM

The mob is hardly gone. Diminished greatly, especially in Boston, but in NYC & NJ, most run legit businesses on the side, or use them to launder "other" income.

by Anonymousreply 89October 31, 2018 4:35 AM

[quote] You half to protect me

What was his half life?

by Anonymousreply 90October 31, 2018 4:42 AM

R50 do you have an actual point to make? Whitey was actually gay for pay hustler early on

by Anonymousreply 91October 31, 2018 4:56 AM

[quote]Billy is still waiting for his.

The brother? I thought he was a good guy? (I’m not doubting you, I just don’t know much about this story.)

by Anonymousreply 92October 31, 2018 5:03 AM

The brother *seems* like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 93October 31, 2018 5:04 AM

After plastic surgery to change their appearances, Mr. Bulger and Ms. Greig settled in Santa Monica, Calif., in a small apartment a few blocks from the Pacific, in 1996. They called themselves Charlie and Carol Gasko and lived reclusively, paying their $1,145 monthly rent in cash.

He spent his days watching television. She took walks, went to a beauty parlor and — being a former dental technician — had her teeth cleaned monthly. They took occasional trips, but mostly stayed home. They were fugitives for so long, they had AARP cards.

by Anonymousreply 94October 31, 2018 5:05 AM

[quote]The story of the good and bad brothers ...I wonder if the Showtime series called Brothers with Clarke as lead was based loosely on Whitey and his brother..

It was called Brotherhood and yes, it was inspired by the Bulger brothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 31, 2018 5:17 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 31, 2018 5:44 AM

What a stud. He can shank me and gouge the eyes from my corpse anytime.

by Anonymousreply 97October 31, 2018 5:57 AM

Mama’s pussy must be so moist after seeing R96.

by Anonymousreply 98October 31, 2018 6:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 31, 2018 2:08 PM

More about this rat? How about the rats that still live and did the shit with him? Eddie McKenzie had the double mirror. Just ask his buddy, working for a big advertising firm and married to the daughter. He liked to set up the girls...a Kavanaugh type.....nice kid with a job and liked to work out with Eddie. Eddie wrote about his 'girls' in the book as if he cherished and loved women. What a fucking animal and an irony. I never read the book because I don't need to see their lies.

It was well known in that town what Whitey was like. He didn't like the knickname, so he killed another guy in the neighborhood who was getting popular, a nice guy, a real gem named Whitey McGrail. The story on the streets was he growled "only room enough in this town for one Whitey" before someone (Weeksy the weasel, probably) killed this hard working father and husband.

Those kids he used to groom and rape? Ask the Estes family how they got their house. They sold their sister, at gunpoint. She was 13. One day she's this little kid running around at the Boy's and Girl's Club. The next day she's got makeup, the latest styles, high heels and the family moves from the projects into their own home. It was spoken about and everyone knew. That was just ONE of many this fuck raped and debased. I know more....like the beating and raping of young teenage punks in the projects who were selling dime bags of dope. Whitey wanted the concession. The boats in the harbor, all of it. Once got visited by his FBI fuck of a friend, Connelly (SP?) and ran out of town the next day.

Billy, that fuck? Everyone knew that Billy pulled the legit strings to keep his brother protected and to run, unopposed, for years. Anyone going up against that cabal got a gun to the neck.....Jimmy Kelly was a pull popping psychopath who has an annual blood drive and is some fucking hero. I know who these people are and were. They can't get to me anymore.

by Anonymousreply 100October 31, 2018 2:10 PM

The cabal is exactly who you think it is....Kelly, Hicks, Flynn....and more...their hold is now broken and I'm glad, but I won't be happy until I see Billy Bulger dead and buried in a wet grave, like his animal brother.

by Anonymousreply 101October 31, 2018 2:14 PM

Have the prisoners replaced him in "Guys and Dolls" yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 31, 2018 2:20 PM

Thanks for being real, R102. I needed out of that dark space. You're a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 103October 31, 2018 2:22 PM

😂😂😂 Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 104October 31, 2018 2:45 PM

R78, there is a long (of course) but compelling New Yorker article about how Bulger corrupted FBI agents and got them to cover up his crimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 31, 2018 3:05 PM

WHITEY BULGER KILLERS ATTEMPTED TO REMOVE HIS TONGUE ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 31, 2018 3:07 PM

I was there when he moved his HQ back to Southie. Even the Winter Hill sidewalks breathed a sigh of relief.

by Anonymousreply 107October 31, 2018 3:10 PM

Yeah, he was a shit, but it's the prison's responsibility to keep prisoners safe. Fuck them for putting an 89 year old wheel chair bound targeted guy in general population.

Unfortunately this kind of thing also happens to innocent guys in jail sometimes before they even go to trial.

by Anonymousreply 108October 31, 2018 3:49 PM

Yeah -- it sounds like the Feds wanted this to happen

by Anonymousreply 109October 31, 2018 4:19 PM

I read this morning that Whitey asked to be placed in the general population when he got to West Virginia but, of course, who knows how self-serving the BOP is being. They had an obligation to keep him alive and massively screwed up here. OTOH, I wonder if he knew what was coming and either preferred or at least resigned himself to this relatively quick - if painful - end to a more prolonged one in a prison medical facility.

What's sick is how corrupt the FBI in Boston was for years - they were protecting Bulger because they thought he was helping them to whack the Mafia - which he marginally was - while giving him carte blanche to murder and steal as he pleased. The Massachusetts State Police (no angels themselves) were as worried about cooperating with the FBI as they were about catching Bulger on state charges. What's amazing is that pretty much everyone in Boston knew what was going on long before Agent Connolly and the other dirty cops and agents were caught. The late lawyer, novelist, and BU prof George V. Higgins' last novel, "At End of Day" - written just before he died in 1999 and published posthumously - had every detail right a dozen years before Bulger was caught in Santa Monica.

One other sidelight was the local FBI's periodic jaunts to look for Whitey in exotic locales whenever they got a "tip" that Whitey had been seen in London or Paris or Rome or Honolulu and always, it seemed, at peak season when the weather was nice - nobody ever went looking for him in, say, the UK in the middle of winter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 31, 2018 4:20 PM

R105, I hate the way people say Bulger corrupted the FBi agents. I heard a lengthy piece by a WBUR reporter this morning and he said the same thing - that Bulger corrupted the agents.

BULLSHIT

The agents willingly became corrupted. If they were men of any character whatsoever, they would have played Bulger as true agents of the FBI.

The federals who Bulger gave money and more to did incredible damage to the FBI - they are a stain (indelible, there's no washing it away). They were greedy bastards, plain and simple.

Bulger only corrupted those who wanted to be corrupted.

by Anonymousreply 111October 31, 2018 4:23 PM

Reading about his crimes, sounds like Whitey got off easy, even at the end.

by Anonymousreply 112October 31, 2018 4:26 PM

Italian Mobsters always have nice funerals.

I wonder what Billy is going to arrange?

by Anonymousreply 113October 31, 2018 4:31 PM

A mass for the repose of Whitey's coal-black soul. Once you're dead, all bets are off.

by Anonymousreply 114October 31, 2018 4:33 PM

So the killers just walked into Bulger’s cell and beat him to death? I thought prison cells were all locked.

by Anonymousreply 115October 31, 2018 5:37 PM

I'd normally feel pity for any old man meeting such a wretched end, but having read a couple of books on Bulger--nope.

A stone sociopath who got what he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 116October 31, 2018 5:47 PM

Yeah the prison should not have done this. Even for him. It’s not right.

by Anonymousreply 117October 31, 2018 5:51 PM

R115 - apparently between the hours of 6 - 8am, the cells are not on perpetual lock - guys have to get to breakfast. That's what I read today in the local paper.

by Anonymousreply 118October 31, 2018 6:47 PM

Robert Mueller was the US attorney in Boston covering up for Whitey. Small world.

by Anonymousreply 119October 31, 2018 7:02 PM

I also felt that Jeffrey Daimler also was set-up to be killed. The prison seemed at least negligent in both cases.

by Anonymousreply 120October 31, 2018 7:08 PM

Dahmer ^^

by Anonymousreply 121October 31, 2018 7:50 PM

LIAR, R119....the US Attorney's office was the agency that finally outed the corrupt FBI agent, Connelly. Stop lying about Bob Mueller when all he's been charged with is to investigate someone else. If charges are brought against him, go for the throat, but you're just a cheap fucking troll looking to insert a lie wherever possible.

There was absolutely NO coincidence that he was sent here and he knew it. So goodbye to bad trash and recognize that justice has many faces, and not all of them are blind.

by Anonymousreply 122October 31, 2018 7:52 PM

R110, the Boston cops themselves were corrupt as hell too, they scared the crap out of me. I walked into the 1270 in the 80s and saw one of the owners paying off the cops. The owner warned me later not to say anything, that the cops would kill me to save their jobs. The owners eventually worked with IA, but were harassed by the cops repeatedly. I think seven cops eventually lost their jobs. The 1270 closed shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 123October 31, 2018 7:53 PM

These mafia figures/legends fascinate me. Great thread.

by Anonymousreply 124October 31, 2018 8:00 PM

What’s the 1270?

by Anonymousreply 125October 31, 2018 8:25 PM

A defunct gay bar at 1270 Boylston Street in Boston's Fenway district across the street from Fenway Park.

by Anonymousreply 126October 31, 2018 8:27 PM

Thanks, R126.

by Anonymousreply 127October 31, 2018 8:36 PM

can roger stone get his cell?

by Anonymousreply 128October 31, 2018 8:54 PM

We need pictures of Whitey's killer's dick. Bet he's hung.

by Anonymousreply 129October 31, 2018 9:06 PM

[quote] Bet he's hung.

That wasn’t the cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 130October 31, 2018 9:14 PM

Killed by trade!

by Anonymousreply 131October 31, 2018 9:28 PM

R122. Justice has many faces? Are you DL's Official Serial Killer?

by Anonymousreply 132October 31, 2018 9:33 PM

r111 The "corrupt agent" narrative itself is bullshit. These informants are deliberately "run" by LEOs and all branches of the DHS. It's standard operating procedure, although controversial (especially when it involves national security.) The only difference in this case was the agent who ran him was overly ambitious, even for a Fed, and used Bulger to further his own career.

Even in my buttfuck Canadian cowtown, we have informants used on locally notorious cases who can and do whatever they want under the protection of the local police service. One currently runs a crackhouse.

by Anonymousreply 133October 31, 2018 11:11 PM

R133 There was no Department of Homeland Security when Whitey was working.

by Anonymousreply 134October 31, 2018 11:17 PM

"At the Coleman prison complex in Florida in September 2014, he was disciplined multiple times, including once for masturbating in front of a male staff member"

85 and still going

by Anonymousreply 135November 1, 2018 4:30 AM

by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2018 1:48 PM

Remarkable that he lived through SIX heart attacks and a stabbing to reach the age of 89. And prisons don't have the best of health care.

The stories about his rule over Boston and his corrupt FBI handlers make me grateful for having the straight arrow Feds (LE and prosecutors) around. Imagine how awful the problem of unchecked organized crime would be. Probably on the scale that it is in Russia right now where the mob has a stranglehold on the country, all with Putin's blessing (is it any wonder he's reputed to be the richest man in the world?) It must be crippling to an economy, never mind the embargo on Russian oil and gas.

by Anonymousreply 137November 1, 2018 1:57 PM

There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t find myself reading about something that makes me grateful for the existence of the FBI.

by Anonymousreply 138November 1, 2018 2:37 PM

The fatal beating was savage.

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2018 9:33 PM

R123, did you know the 1270 bartender named “Danny”? He was a friend of mine.

by Anonymousreply 140November 1, 2018 9:44 PM

He’s burning as we speak... LOL

by Anonymousreply 141November 1, 2018 9:46 PM

R98 "Mama’s pussy must be so moist" upon seeing the photo of R96

Mama's pussy will feel like the Sahara when she learns reported Bulger killer Fotios "Freddy" Geas wears a size 6 shoe.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2018 12:18 AM

Paul and Petey beat him to death wth a lock....the second suspect is with the North Shore crime family.... So the suspected murders are mob affiliated. Oh this stinks of inside job.Even though i read Bulger went to VA for the medical carr he needed....sounds like somebody made sure he was greeted appropriately.

by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2018 2:10 AM

Bostonian here. It's weird to think but anyone who did cocaine in the late 80's in Boston probably did business with Whitey directly or indirectly.

My friend in Somerville had a condo that was right across from a garage that had been one of Whitey's hangouts. Anytime there was a news story about Whitey the news trucks would show up to do their story from there. We would look out the window and say, "Whitey's in the news today! " And then we would toke up.

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2018 2:26 AM

The Italian Mob isn't very nice either, but I didn't like the way Irish law enforcement and the irish mob teamed up to go after them.

I remembered West Side Story when the cop tried to get the Irish Jets to team up with him against the Puerto Ricans and how disgusted the Jets became with him...

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2018 1:46 PM

[quote] I remembered West Side Story when the cop tried to get the Irish Jets to team up with him against the Puerto Ricans and how disgusted the Jets became with him...

I think that is what we all remembered.

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2018 1:47 PM

IIRC, on some Spring holiday, I think either St. Patrick’s Day or Evacuation Day, the 19th century Boston Italian boys would march from Boston’s North End to meet the Irish boys from South Boston, somewhere in the middle, and fight it out. Probably after attending Mass. Over nothing, of course.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2018 2:09 PM

Evacuation Day and St Patrick's Day is the same day, March 17.

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2018 8:10 PM

I'd never heard of Evacuation Day until this thread.

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2018 10:36 PM

St Patrick's Day is celebrated first, then Evacuation Day. It is often, but not exclusively, celebrated casually and spontaneously where the sidewalks meet the streets in South Boston during and after the parade.

Seriously, Evacuation Day celebrates the evacuation of British troops from Boston early in the American War of Independence.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2018 10:40 PM

Creating the Evacuation Day holiday was a sneaky Catholic way to make St Patrick's Day a paid holiday while getting around separation of church and state.

by Anonymousreply 151November 2, 2018 11:12 PM

R148, then I’m thinking that the second holiday is Patriot’s Day.

by Anonymousreply 152November 3, 2018 12:11 AM

Boston was occupied by the British very early in the Revolutionary War. The British were stationed in Boston and across the river on Bunker Hill in Charlestown. The Americans led by Washington were camped in Cambridge. My eleven year old 4th Great Grandfather was with them, serving as a drummer boy.

The Americans under Benedict Arnold captured Fort Ticonderoga in upstate NY, and transported the cannons and other armaments from that fort to Washington. The guns were used to fortify Dorchester Heights, putting them in range of hitting the British ships, while the British guns could not reach to the top of Dorchester Heights.

The British agreed to peacefully evacuate the city, along with loyalist colonials, if the Americans held their fire, which they did. This is the day that is still celebrated in Boston today.

by Anonymousreply 153November 3, 2018 12:36 AM

Oh, Ethan Allen took credit for the victory at Ticonderoga, which embittered Benedict Arnold and was part of what led him to turn on the Americans and defect to the British side.

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2018 12:40 AM

R147

Patriots Day (originally April 19th to commemorate the battles of Lexington and Concord on that date, now observed on the third Monday in April) is observed in Massachusetts with the Boston Marathon and before the baseball season was expanded, the Red Sox home opener as well as a recreation of the skirmishes at the Old Bridge in Concord and on the Battle Green in Lexington. It is also observed in Maine, Wisconsin, and Connecticut and "encouraged" (whatever that means) in Florida. It's a state holiday: only municipal and state employees get the day off.

I'm a Bostonian and the event you describe is not something I'm aware of, especially if it were to have occured in the 19th century as the North End of Boston was then still home to a largely Irish-American population. Italian immigration to Boston didn't began until the 1890's and peaked in the years following World War I.

by Anonymousreply 155November 3, 2018 12:44 AM

It might have been the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 156November 3, 2018 1:21 AM

[quote] My eleven year old 4th Great Grandfather was with them, serving as a drummer boy.

Was he a good egg?

by Anonymousreply 157November 3, 2018 1:53 AM

[quote] Oh, Ethan Allen took credit for the victory at Ticonderoga

Was this before or after the furniture.

by Anonymousreply 158November 3, 2018 1:53 AM

[quote] Oh, Ethan Allen took credit for the victory at Ticonderoga

Was this before or after the furniture?

by Anonymousreply 159November 3, 2018 1:53 AM

Of course he was a good egg! He marched with the Marblehead Boys to Bunker Hill and engaged the English there at that famous battle. Then served with Washington for another 9 months. He later lost a leg to amputation. He then became a painter. He died at age 70. That’s him, at the link, more or less.

The Marblehead Boys were all fisherman. When they served under Washington, they played a role in two crucial evacuations. When Washington was camped on Long Island with his back to the East river, the British were prepared to attack the next day. The Marblehead Boys carried their disassembled boats on their backs. They reassembled them silently at night, and rowed Washinton’s Army across the river to escape. Canon, horses, everything.

Likewise,when you see pictures of Washington Crossing the Deleware, that’s the Marblehead Boys manning the oars.

And they were all good eggs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 3, 2018 2:18 AM

[quote] He marched with the Marblehead Boys

Did they give marbled head cheese to boys?

by Anonymousreply 161November 3, 2018 2:20 AM

[quote] When Washington was camped on Long Island

Did Washington seat there long enough to pronounce it “Lonk Guyland”?

by Anonymousreply 162November 3, 2018 2:22 AM

I guess I am flattered that you read it at all!

by Anonymousreply 163November 3, 2018 2:25 AM

This Italian/Irish thing. If it is indeed the 20th century then it wasn't Southie Irish who marched, it was probably Charlestown Irish as they are adjacent to the North End. It would be quite a hike from Southie to the North End to fight and frankly Southie Irish are super neighborhood oriented. You didn't go to Southie will nilly. Most people aren't even aware that Boston had another large Irish population somewhere else. Now my Dad was from Charlestown but I never heard of such a thing a this yearly fight. And he was old enough to remember smelling molasses from the flood for years. He never missed a festival of St Joe in the North End.

by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2018 3:03 AM

R164

Whatever this person is referring to never happened in Boston the way it's being described here, whether in the 19th or the 20th century. You're right - Southie Irish thought they lived in the center of the universe so why would they go anywhere else? And not to disparage their fighting skills - they gave us prizefighters like Primo Carnera and Rocky Marciano - but Italians are soloists: they don't sing well together in the choir. Organizing them into fighting units has never worked. Just ask Mussolini. Hell, ask Garabaldi. It took an awfully long time (like, two millenia) to organize Italy into a country.

This sort of thing happens in Belfast, maybe, but that's Protestant Orangemen versus Catholics and everyone's Irish. In the 1930's, sadly, demagogues like Father Coughlin (crazy radio priest from Michigan) whipped up animosity towards the Jews in Boston that led to sporadic skirmishes with Irish Catholic kids beating up Jewish kids but it was never so organized as to occur on a particular day as a regular thing. I think I know a bit about the city's history and I never heard of anything like organized ethnic gangs fighting annually on the feast of St. Patrick.

by Anonymousreply 165November 3, 2018 1:44 PM

To balance this virtue, the Puritan city had always hidden a darker side. Blackguard Boston was only too educational, and to most boys much the more interesting. A successful blackguard must enjoy great physical advantages besides a true vocation, and Henry Adams had neither; but no boy escaped some contact with vice of a very low form. Blackguardism came constantly under boys' eyes, and had the charm of force and freedom and superiority to culture or decency. One might fear it, but no one honestly despised it. Now and then it asserted itself as education more roughly than school ever did. One of the commonest boy-games of winter, inherited directly from the eighteenth-century, was a game of war on Boston Common. In old days the two hostile forces were called North-Enders and South-Enders. In 1850 the North-Enders still survived as a legend, but in practice it was a battle of the Latin School against all comers, and the Latin School, for snowball, included all the boys of the West End. Whenever, on a half-holiday, the weather was soft enough to soften the snow, the Common was apt to be the scene of a fight, which began in daylight with the Latin School in force, rushing their opponents down to Tremont Street, and which generally ended at dark by the Latin School dwindling in numbers and disappearing. As the Latin School grew weak, the roughs and young blackguards grew strong. As long as snowballs were the only weapon, no one was much hurt, but a stone may be put in a snowball, and in the dark a stick or a slungshot in the hands of a boy is as effective as a knife. One afternoon the fight had been long and exhausting. The boy Henry, following, as his habit was, his bigger brother Charles, had taken part in the battle, and had felt his courage much depressed by seeing one of his trustiest leaders, Henry Higginson--"Bully Hig," his school name--struck by a stone over the eye, and led off the field bleeding in rather a ghastly manner. As night came on, the Latin School was steadily forced back to the Beacon Street Mall where they could retreat no further without disbanding, and by that time only a small band was left, headed by two heroes, Savage and Marvin. A dark mass of figures could be seen below, making ready for the last rush, and rumor said that a swarm of blackguards from the slums, led by a grisly terror called Conky Daniels, with a club and a hideous reputation, was going to put an end to the Beacon Street cowards forever. Henry wanted to run away with the others, but his brother was too big to run away, so they stood still and waited immolation. The dark mass set up a shout, and rushed forward. The Beacon Street boys turned and fled up the steps, except Savage and Marvin and the few champions who would not run. The terrible Conky Daniels swaggered up, stopped a moment with his body-guard to swear a few oaths at Marvin, and then swept on and chased the flyers, leaving the few boys untouched who stood their ground. The obvious moral taught that blackguards were not so black as they were painted; but the boy Henry had passed through as much terror as though he were Turenne or Henri IV, and ten or twelve years afterwards when these same boys were fighting and falling on all the battle-fields of Virginia and Maryland, he wondered whether their education on Boston Common had taught Savage and Marvin how to die. -- The Education of Henry Adams

by Anonymousreply 166November 3, 2018 2:13 PM

No one described in this autobiographical piece from the Education of Henry Adams is Irish, Italian, or Catholic except, perhaps, Conky Daniels and some of his "young blackguards" although Daniels is not an Irish name but rather one that originated in Gloucestershire, a part of England that was home to many of New England's first settlers. These fights were between the children of the White Anglo-Saxon Protestants themselves; some of them, like Adams, children of the Brahmins and some of them the offspring of what have since been called "Swamp Yankees" - an earlier version of what has come to be known as white trash - these were the descendants of early settlers who got the worst, ie, swamp, land to settle and farm.

Adams is referring here to the north (the peak of Beacon Hill where the State House stands) and south (later the Back Bay but it hadn't been built by then so roughly where Arlington Street is now) ends of the Boston Common and Public Garden, not neighborhoods of the city. In fact, according to the Boston city census of 1855 (a couple of years after the period described above), there were no persons of Italian descent recorded as living in Boston. If as Adams writes these boys were later tested "ten or twelve years afterwards" in battle during the Civil War, he's referring to the early 1850's when Irish immigration to Boston, brought on by the famine there from 1845 to 1849, had just begun. Which is to say, there were not many Irish in Boston yet. And no Italians at all.

The South End (a neighborhood built on tidal marshes that were filled in with stone and soil removed from Beacon Hill from the 1830's to the 1850's and developed for housing after the Civil War), has nothing to do with South Boston. The West End is the area below the water side of Beacon Hill (Cambridge Street) now occupied by the Massachusetts General Hospital and Charles River Park. The North End neighborhood is to the east of the West End and had no connection, then or now, to those living on Beacon Hill as the Adams family did.

To recap, if indeed this is offered as the basis for the "on some Spring holiday, I think either St. Patrick’s Day or Evacuation Day, the 19th century Boston Italian boys would march from Boston’s North End to meet the Irish boys from South Boston, somewhere in the middle, and fight it out. Probably after attending Mass. Over nothing, of course" comment you can see that it is completely wrong in so many particulars and on so many levels: no Italians from the North End (as there were none in Boston), no Irish from South Boston (as there were very few Irish in Boston yet), and no Catholics (so not after attending Mass.)

by Anonymousreply 167November 3, 2018 3:08 PM

It was offered to show the kids of Boston have always enjoyed a fight.

by Anonymousreply 168November 3, 2018 3:12 PM

Thank you R167. So many folks think Boston is Southie and the Kennedys and nothing else.

South End is often mistaken for Southie,

I once copy edited a book that based it's premise on activity between Irish gangs on Monument Ave. I had the terrible job of having to explain to the writer (a non-Bostonian) that Monument Ave was not located in South Boston. The monument in question being the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown.

by Anonymousreply 169November 3, 2018 3:45 PM

It was the Back Bay that was filled in with the soil and rubble taken off Beacon Hill, not the South End.

Also, the above mentioned "1270" was finally closed when a 16 year old girl was beaten and raped in the basement level bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 170November 3, 2018 3:57 PM

R169 You are so right. It's further confused by people who refer to "The Monument" as any one of a number monuments, whether at Bunker Hill or Dewy Square or "The Monument" (actually, "The Soldier's Monument") at the intersection of Centre and South Streets in Jamaica Plain. When I was kid and told my Mom I was going to be hanging out with friends or cousins at "The Monument" I'd have to specify which one as we had family all over the city.

R170 The South End was part of the same project but was filled in before what is now the Back Bay. See bostongeology.com

[italic]"The land belonging to the South End has been part of the city of Boston since its creation, though at the time of first settlement it was much smaller and surrounded by large tidal flats. The neighborhood was expanded and developed by filling in the marshlands, part of a larger project of the filling of Boston's Back Bay (north and west of Washington Street) and South Bay (south and east of Washington Street), from the 1830s to the 1870s."[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 171November 3, 2018 4:17 PM

[quote]My eleven year old 4th Great Grandfather was with them, serving as a drummer boy.

Am I reading this right: Your great-great-great-great-grandfather was 11 in 1775?

by Anonymousreply 172November 4, 2018 5:45 AM

Not the poster but that's possible. My grandfather was born in 1882. Two generations of men had their children well into their forties.

President John Tyler, born in 1790 has two grandsons still alive. This is a case of Tyler and his son fathering children in their seventies. The grandsons re now in their 90's and still alive.

by Anonymousreply 173November 4, 2018 5:44 AM

R151 does Evacuation Day have anything to do with Boston baked beans?

by Anonymousreply 174November 4, 2018 9:19 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 4, 2018 3:02 PM

R140, what floor of the 1270 did your friend bartend on?

R170, I did not hear that about the rape of the 16 year old girl. So it was a male on female rape?

by Anonymousreply 176November 4, 2018 5:21 PM

R175, inspired by Martin Cahill. I encourage everyone to watch “The General” if you haven’t already.

by Anonymousreply 177November 4, 2018 5:27 PM

The rape was man on girl. 1270 was always very inclusive. My friend was the d.j. there for years. Fred Bowes, top floor.

Its's now a creepy sports bar and the McDonalds' next door was demolished and is now a parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 178November 4, 2018 5:55 PM

At the maximum security state prison I know, the cells are not locked during the day. Neither are the blocks. There's a lot more movement within a prison than you'd expect. Of course, during lockdowns, everything is locked, but otherwise, people come and go-- kind of like in high schools, where you need passes to move around.

by Anonymousreply 179November 4, 2018 6:07 PM

Anyone else watch the Showtime series Brotherhood?

It was based on the life of Whitey & his brother with Jason Isaacs and Jason Clarke in the leads. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 180November 4, 2018 9:32 PM

So he was moved because of disciplinary problems in FL?

by Anonymousreply 181November 4, 2018 10:41 PM

You know the looney tunes gf has a hidden stash, especially after reading R175 's post. The feds shall be watching her like a hawk when she gets released, if the mob doesn't get to her in short order.

by Anonymousreply 182November 4, 2018 11:32 PM

[quote] R172: Am I reading this right: Your great-great-great-great-grandfather was 11 in 1775?

Yes, that is correct. I’ve seen a copy of his Revolutionary War pension application for his 9-month service in the First Pennsylvania Rifleman’s Regiment, in the Continental Army.

I have an 1860 letter from my 2d Great Grandfather stating that my 11 year old 4th Great Grandfather (who he knew) marched from Marblehead with an irregular militia headed by Capt. Trevett, to join the battle at Bunker Hill. This was a week before he enlisted in the Continental Army. History shows that Capt. Trevett did indeed march as described, so he might have been with him. I just hired a genealogist to try to find some hard evidence that he was indeed at Bunker Hill, as the family letter isn’t definitive proof of anything.

by Anonymousreply 183November 5, 2018 1:52 AM

[quote] R176: [R140], what floor of the 1270 did your friend bartend on

I don’t recall. It might have been the first floor. Did you know Danny?

by Anonymousreply 184November 5, 2018 1:55 AM

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

I can’t find a source for my story about the Boston Italians and Irish fighting yearly on some Spring holiday. The story about the snowball fight posted above sounds familiar, so maybe that was what I was thinking about.

The writer regrets the error.

by Anonymousreply 185November 5, 2018 1:59 AM

Thank you, r178.

R184, I did not know Danny by name. The last time I was at the 1270 was probably in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 186November 5, 2018 2:59 AM

R184, wait, was Danny from Michigan?

by Anonymousreply 187November 5, 2018 3:03 PM

No, Danny was from Weymouth, MA. I recall his father had abandoned his family.

by Anonymousreply 188November 5, 2018 4:31 PM

You guys are spilling Danny’s tea for the whole world to see.

by Anonymousreply 189November 5, 2018 4:51 PM

I though I mentioned it, but it seems I did not. I aged-out of nightclubbing, where I would occasionally bump into old friends like Danny I like the idea that people I liked but lost touch with, were out there somewhere, enjoying life, even if I never see them again. So I got curious once and googled Danny. I found that he passed away in the 1990s.

So, I think he’s “tea-proof” at this point.

by Anonymousreply 190November 5, 2018 9:16 PM

R183, it’s not that I didn’t believe you, but my goodness the men in your family must have had some late-in-life babies.

by Anonymousreply 191November 6, 2018 6:53 AM

President John Tyler Has 2 Living Grandsons

Tyler died in 1862, but he had 15 children and fathered some late in life. His living grandchildren weren't born until the 1920s, during the Coolidge administration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 6, 2018 4:04 PM

R182, are you also R173?

by Anonymousreply 193November 6, 2018 4:45 PM

‘Whitey’ Bulger hoped to be buried next to longtime girlfriend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 6, 2018 7:12 PM

[quote] [R183], it’s not that I didn’t believe you, but my goodness the men in your family must have had some late-in-life babies.

That’s right. My grandfather in that line was born in 1880. I’m 58. It amuses me that it’s a short hop back to the Revolution. My family goes back 12 generation in New England.

by Anonymousreply 195November 7, 2018 3:36 AM

[quote] My family goes back 12 generation in New England.

I hope none of them commited Moosicide or, worse, has carnal relations with a moose.

by Anonymousreply 196November 7, 2018 3:40 AM

R196, no, they stuck with their own. No Moose at all in my bloodline.

Eight of ten generations with my surname married and had children late, so it’s a short hop back to the pilgrims. None of that child-bride thing for which the plains farmers might be known.

My earliest ancestor in New England did apparently commit suicide at age 68. He was once fined for working on the Sabbath. A second time, he was acquitted, because “the cows really needed tending”. Tend those cows, Grandpa!

by Anonymousreply 197November 7, 2018 12:33 PM

Whitey Bulger's Funeral Held in South Boston

By Alysha Palumbo and Kaitlin Flanigan

A funeral mass for James "Whitey" Bulger was held Thursday morning at a church in South Boston, the Archdiocese of Boston confirms.

Among those spotted at notorious Boston gangster's funeral, which took place at St. Monica's Catholic Church on Old Colony Avenue, included Bulger's brother William "Billy" Bulger, a former senate president, along with Margaret McCusker, the twin sister of his longtime girlfriend Catherine Greig.

No other details about the funeral were immediately available.

Photos at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 8, 2018 4:17 PM

Lordy looks like Bulger owned some mini poodles with his girlfriend. I guess he had a soft side.

by Anonymousreply 199November 21, 2018 9:21 PM

He’s still dead.

by Anonymousreply 200November 21, 2018 9:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!