Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dataloungers, please educate me on Connie Chung

I watched her on youtube last week and now I'm officially obsessed with her. But being a Euro Millennial I know practically nothing about her so you'll have to fill me in: Are there any of her news broadcasts worth checking out? And lesser known jewels hidden amongst her tv appearances? What was she like in real life - nice or a crazy diva?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2018 1:58 AM

What a boring object of obsession. You need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2018 12:11 AM

"Are there any of her news broadcasts worth checking out?"

OP, You Are Not to Bother!

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2018 12:15 AM

One of the faces of 80s broadcast news. Along with her, Barbra Walters, Geraldo, etc. they epitomized the pretentious greediness of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2018 1:01 AM

She once did an hour long special report on the rats in NYC. It was horrifying and I was unable to watch the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2018 1:23 AM

Connie was a rising star from the 80's into the 90's. She added (perhaps unintentionally) some tabloid fare to TV journalism in the 90's before it became trendy. But her career as a serious journalist/anchorwoman was damaged and she was ultimately sidelined by CBS into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2018 1:29 AM

I remember seeing Connie Chung as a local anchor when I was visiting California years ago. I recall thinking, “This woman is going places.”

Two years later, she went national.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2018 1:31 AM

R1 = Maury Povich

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2018 1:41 AM

She got Newt Gingrich's mother to say that he thought Hillary Clinton was a bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2018 2:00 AM

Connie was one of Letterman's regular guests back in the 80s. They had a good onscreen rapport.

In the 90s, she and husband Maury Povich talked publicly about their desire to conceive, but they never succeeded. Maury responded by sublimating his paternal obsession, shifting the focus of his daytime talk-show to low-rent paternity scandals.

Connie's last major scoop was her Prime Time Live Gary Condit interview in August 2001. The story (congressional sex/murder investigation scandal) went from months of heavy coverage to the back page after the September 11 attacks.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2018 2:01 AM

Always pleasant and professional.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2018 2:04 AM

Tonya Harding walked out in the middle of a televised interview with Connie.

Connie's never recovered from it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2018 2:06 AM

I fucking love Connie. This entire video is a gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2018 2:11 AM

i remember an excruciating interview on a short lived CNN stint with Rod Stewart where he was shilling his first cd pilfering the great american songbook / and they ended up dancing to a track before the break / the memory still makes me shudder

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2018 2:22 AM

Kaity Tong

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2018 2:26 AM

she called Hillary a bitch and it ended her career.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2018 5:07 AM

Oh my, this brings back memories. During the 1980s/90s, when Chung was an news anchor, my grandfather was strangely into her. He was a veteran of the Korean War and WWII. I always found his interest in her a bit odd. She was the sort of woman a lot of people's grandfathers were strangely obsessed with for obscure reasons.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2018 5:52 AM

Connie is from the Washington suburbs. I remember her covering the Nixon argument before the Supreme Court. I and some friends camped out all night to get seats and as the sun was rising there was Connie there to interview us looking perfect and sounding chipper and after sleeping on the wet grass overnight we looked like slobs and could barely grunt an answer. But we got in. Connie was great.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2018 6:13 AM

She didn’t call Hillary a bitch, r15. She persuaded Newt Gingrich’s mother to disclose he thought that. See r8.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2018 6:18 AM

She was supposedly the reporter that Oliver Stone gave hallucinogens to in El Salvador. She started tripping while on the air.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2018 6:35 AM

Check out all her appearances on Late Night with David Letterman in the '80s. She was an amazing guest and Letterman used to flirt with her cutely.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2018 6:47 AM

Dave and Connie spend the day together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2018 6:56 AM

She was a classically trained songstress that got very few chances to showcase her god given talent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2018 7:11 AM

That old bitch, she doesn't stand by her husband like I did.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2018 7:18 AM

Me want Maury

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2018 7:30 AM

I loved her recording of "La Choy Makes Chinese Food...Swing American!"

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2018 8:10 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote]She once did an hour long special report on the rats in NYC.

Wasn't it unethical of her to do a report on her husband?

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2018 11:15 PM

The Connie Ka-Chung

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2018 11:26 PM

NBC put Connie Chung on the fast track to being their star female anchor after Jessica Savitch started to burn out. And then Savitch died.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2018 11:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2018 2:58 PM

My parents went to LA in early 1980 and brought me back a copy of Los Angeles Magazine which had a feature on LA’s most eligible singles or something like that. KNXT anchor Connie Chung was featured as was Beverly D’Angeleo. My first time seeing her and she went to NBC a couple years later.

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2018 3:08 PM

You better stop it, Connie Chung!

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2018 5:21 PM

She married that piece of racist piece of human garbage, Maury Povich. I know it's been referred to several times but I just had to get that off my chest.

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2018 5:27 PM

As mentioned, she was the local CBS anchor in LA and did a great job. Well liked by the staff and her ratings were great. Also suffered a lot of racism. One sportscaster was fired after he told her on air, "let's talk after you do the laundry."

by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2018 5:43 PM

She flew the fake patriotic flag when telling then 20-year citizen Martina Navratilova, regarding US politics, to either "love it or leave it." Fuck that noise.

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2018 6:05 PM

When Howard Stern was on WNBC, he did a song parody about Jane Pauley, making fun of her for returning to work after having her child. (Honestly)

It was to the tune of Hey Mickey. It started out "Jane Pauley you're a swine..." So crazy. The lyrics of the song implored her to leave her job and take care of her kids. One lyric went:

"Let Connie Chung, let man do it. Let Charlie Chan do it."

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2018 7:35 PM

I always thought her career tanked when/because she married cheeseball Maury.

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2018 7:49 PM

It seemed to me that a lot of Connie's "brand" was her happy marriage to the vastly journalistically inferior Maury Povich, and when it came out that not only was he cheating on her with a co-worker, it had been a long-term affair with a much younger producer on staff. She seemed to recede from the public eye, likely because she did not want to talk about Maury's betrayal.

They are still married. It reminds me of when Frank Gifford cheated on Kathy Lee.

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2018 7:59 PM

[quote]when Frank Gifford cheated on Kathy Lee.

Good god, who could blame him? Probably did it just to get away from her for an hour once a week.

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2018 8:04 PM

She's awful. The worst. I hate her!!!

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2018 8:12 PM

R16 He was trying to tell you that you have cousins in South Korea.

by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2018 8:24 PM

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2018 7:50 PM

I love her. She doesn't take herself seriously. She's got brains, a fun sense of humour and she's lovely. The whole package.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2018 7:57 PM

Maury's dad's name was Shirley! His wife was named Ethyl.

Connie was known as high-Q, low IQ Connie. The Q was a popularity rating used by tv networks. IQ is obvious. She was a nitwit, but people liked her.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2018 8:51 PM

Hey OP, EDUCATE YOURSELF.

lazy cunt

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2018 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!