Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elizabeth Taylor Enslaved Richard Burton

From Claire Bloom - Leaving a Doll's House memoir

In 1964, I was asked to appear in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.......His fees were stratospheric and his power was enormous. He could certainly have vetoed my appearance had he wished; I was surprised when he chose not to.

I had mixed emotions about making this movie: I knew my feeling for Richard was still strong. I had to face the simple truth that where I had failed, another woman had succeeded....That Elizabeth Taylor was considered to be one of the most beautiful women in the world made her no small trophy; Richard believed that he had won a paragon among women.

During filming he told me more than once that to wake up and find Elizabeth on his pillow was like having Christmas every morning — a sentiment that raised in me urges akin to murder.

In the studio, Richard and I behaved with the greatest circumspection: even so, as I came to learn much later from various printed accounts of their lives — and with some pleasure, I must admit, Taylor was extremely upset by my reappearance in Richard's life.

Subsequently, she was always on hand during our scenes together. Her commanding, if unmusical, call for "Richard!*' sent him running to her side.

I believe that Richard, during those early days of their marriage, was terrified of his wife. Certainly he behaved in ways unlike his former self.

He was still drinking very hard. A slight tremor in his hands early in the morning was always lessened by that first cup of "coffee," sipped from a mug emitting a whiff of something stronger. That was around nine; at noon he was drinking Champagne in his dressing room, followed by several bottles of wine, whichhe consumed with his cronies at lunch.

By late afternoon, Richard was pretty well out of commission. When I held his arm in our first scene together, it wasn't the powerful arm I remembered holding not so many years before; like the spirit of the sturdy miner's son I had known and loved, the muscle tone had vanished.

Richard's memory for poetry had been phenomenal when he was slightly younger, he now had trouble memorizing the script. The final scene of the movie, which should have been shot in a single night session, extended over three nights. Unable to remember his lines, Richard ended up having his part written on cue cards and stuck all over the interior of the car in which we were shooting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2019 1:25 AM

I saw Richard socially on only one occasion during the entire three months that we spent in Dublin; it was understood that his wife didn't wish to attend any event to which I had been invited.

David Cornwell, the real name of the author John le Carre, came to Dublin on a brief visit to watch the filming of his book. We were both invited to the Burtons' hotel suite for dinner.

There ensued a scene that neither of us has ever forgotten.

The evening began with enough civility. Richard, a terrific raconteur, related extremely witty stories which David, a better storyteller and an even finer mimic than Richard, was always able to top. Whether this — coupled with the fact that she was not the center of attention — triggered the lady's annoyance, I don't know.

But she left the table and went to her room, unremarked by her husband. Through a speaker system connecting the bedroom and the living room, Taylor started to summon Richard every five minutes to come to her.

Richard continued having a good time. Then Elizabeth Taylor appeared, like some spirit of vengeance, and a shouting match began. I thought this might be a good time to leave, and saying goodnight to David, I quietly left the room, hoping that this might calm things down

When David also slipped out of their suite, the heavyweight contest was still in progress.

Despite such lively scenes, life with Burton must have had many satisfying moments or their marriage wouldn't have endured as long as it did. I can only report, admittedly with some relish, what I witnessed.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2018 2:13 PM

And her point is? Burton was a self destructive womanizer who was lucky to be married to Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2018 2:14 PM

Her puss had powers.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2018 2:15 PM

From Sophia Loren' book "Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life"

"He arrived with a whole entourage, including a doctor, a nurse, and a secretary. He was trying to quit drinking, as well as to get over his love for his beautiful violet-eyed Cleopatra.

He could talk of no one and nothing else, and I listened to him patiently. He often ate with me and the children on the patio around the swimming pool, and we soon became friends.

On the Friday before we were about to resume shooting, he got a phone call, a fateful one, from Liz in Los Angeles.

“I’m being operated on tomorrow, Richard, you must come.”

“You have to be joking,” I wanted to say, but I held my tongue. After all, it was his life and it was better if I kept out of it.

He probably read my mind when he saw my face, and just gave me a helpless look, as if he were saying, “What can I do? Of course I can’t say no.”

Carlo understood the situation, and, as usual, settled things once and for all. “Go on, go ahead, as long as you’re back on the set on Monday morning.”

Richard left, flying fifteen hours on the way over, and another fifteen back, just to hold her hand for a few minutes. But he fulfilled his duty, was at peace with himself, and made sure he was there for the first “Action” on Monday.

Liz joined him in Rome a few weeks later to spend some time with us, and the rest of the time in a hotel. She was a rogue wave, a loose electron, an arrow aimed straight for his ailing heart, that’s what she was for him.

When we started shooting The Voyage, although Richard was there, his mind was wandering elsewhere, in search of a solution to his problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2018 2:18 PM

We were getting ready to be together once more on the set for Brief Encounter, when he wrote me this letter....

"Have read script. What on earth ever persuaded anybody to do it without me? Incredible impertinence. I shall see you in one week from today. I love you, of course, but it’s also a fine piece for much as I love I wouldn’t do it otherwise . . .

I’m completely recovered from my recent madness and have rarely felt so content. Elizabeth will never be out of my bones but she is, at last, out of my head. Such love as I had has turned to pity. She is an awful mess and there’s nothing I can do about it without destroying myself. I love you.....

This time I shall be a good actor for you. I was a bloody idiot last time.

See you in a week.

Love,

Richard

I forgot to mention that I love you

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2018 2:21 PM

You're an obsessed idiot, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2018 2:21 PM

R5 Thank you

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2018 2:23 PM

Richard Burton = gay

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2018 2:24 PM

Claire was very good as the English communist dupe. I can just imagine Liz playing that confused mousey character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2018 2:28 PM

I hated Liz and Dick!

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2018 4:09 PM

Wow! Those pants! Horizontal strips in an inverted triangle up top like a bikini, then vertical stripes down below. On top of that, a striped shirt. ET's outfit was also horrible.

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2018 4:30 PM

Life imitates art!

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2018 4:39 PM

OP thanks for posting. I find Liz and Dick endlessly interesting.

R6 who the fuck are you? The DL thread police? If you're not interested in the topic don't click on I it. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2018 4:52 PM

Basically Liz & Dick played out their relationship for the world to see in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and I'm eternally grateful that they did.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2018 4:57 PM

Enough

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2018 6:17 PM

I know some of you will flame me, but she hit her peak early and while still attractive by the time she got in her late 30s she looked older then she was. At the time of that pic she was not as attractive as Loren. In her 20s she was, but not by then.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2018 6:42 PM

All relationships that operate on a high level of emotion are embarrassing to observe.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2018 6:47 PM

R16 I agree with you, i think she was Beautiful in the 1950s, by 1960 and afterwards, her beauty went downhill.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2018 7:36 PM

[quote]From Sophia Loren' book

I've always wondered why the Biography Troll constantly forgets the S when typing possessives.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2018 7:41 PM

r16 "At the time of that pic she was not as attractive as Loren. In her 20s she was, but not by then. "

I'll respectfully disagree. I see Loren-more than 2 years younger than Taylor-as having peaked an faded at a even earlier age. Loren might've been thinner than Taylor in the 1960s, but face wise she was in a far worse state. Loren's striking beauty rested on her having thick power brows to balance her large lips. She'd done herself in when she shaved her brows off in favor of the pencil-browed, heavy-lidded and eye-lined 60s look, which degenerated her into a Disney Witch. And Loren was perhaps even more sun-damaged than Taylor after hitting 30.

They had pictures taken together from 1974, when Taylor was 42 and and Loren 40. Loren looks to be the more haggard one despite being younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2018 10:08 PM

Liz still got a Golden Globe acting nomination for Ash Wednesday, along with the GG World Fav Actress Award.

And it showed how beautiful Liz still could be in her 40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2018 12:41 AM

"With some pleasure," "with some relish." The erstwhile mistress reveals, lo, these decades later, jealousy and cattiness towards the second wife of Burton. Wife Sybil never entered Claire's mind, back when.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2018 1:10 AM

r22 "Wife Sybil never entered Claire's mind, back when. "

This.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2018 1:13 AM

Claire was attracted to high-maintenance men. Rod Steiger, Hillard Elkins, Philip Roth. Burton was right up her alley.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2018 1:21 AM

Riichard Burton was attracted to anything with a pulse, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2018 2:06 AM

Taylor possessed an extraordinary beauty. She was the real thing and managed, despite her crazy life, to be a loyal friend and a good mum. I recommend reading Furious Love for an insight into our Liz and Dick. Fabulous read and rather touching. Burton’s letters humanise him and make that infamous love affair feel very real and relatable.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2018 3:55 AM

agree with r 26

taylor is one of the very few megastars whose kids and even grandkids all turned out grounded and normal.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2018 7:12 PM

Then Elizabeth must have hired a good nanny, R27. Rich people do not raise their own children.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2018 9:20 PM

Grace Kelly hired one. Her kids all loved the nanny. And looked what happened with Princess Caroline publicly accusing Grace of being cold hearted and the Prince of being distant.

Liz must have managed to build meaningful relationships with her kids in spite of the seeming craziness of her lifestyle. Results speaks, so she must have done something right in this area.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2018 10:52 PM

In Elizabeth Taylor: Auction of a Lifetime (2012), both Ward Landrigan and Gianni Bulgari went on camera saying that Elizabeth was the one who paid for the more expensive jewelry pieces he supposedly bought. Landrigan, in particular, stated that Richard simply didn't have that kind of money.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2019 1:22 AM

She had a reputation for having wretched body odor, she would go days without bathing.

by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2019 1:27 AM

Are you talking about Marilyn Monroe?

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2019 2:24 AM

OP Those pants should be worn only if you have a big bulge.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2019 4:57 AM

I never understood the appeal of that pockmarked midget.

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2019 5:36 AM

R28, Elizabeth was rather noted for taking her brood everywhere with her. Never have I seen a photo of a nanny.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2019 6:07 AM

Elizabeth did take her kids everywhere. Pic of Cleo with kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2019 4:28 PM

more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2019 4:33 PM

more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2019 4:35 PM

more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2019 4:35 PM

Into the mid 70s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2019 4:36 PM

late 60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2019 4:38 PM

Mid 1970s with granddaughter Leyla

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2019 4:39 PM

Late 1960s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2019 4:41 PM

Warner period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2019 4:43 PM

She was always close to her children throughout the years. And they all grow up ok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2019 4:55 PM

Cameltoe at r45!!

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2019 6:50 AM

As soon as I saw R45, I knew some DL misogynist would screech “cameltoe”; can’t have any hint of genitalia on the adult human female; it’s shameful.

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2019 6:59 AM

I didnt know the part about the children. It only make me like her more.

God, that Bloom woman sounds like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2019 7:35 AM

R47 So you did think "cameltoe" too!

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2019 7:00 AM

There's a blatant spelling mistake in the thread title.

"Enslaved" should be spelled "Elevated".

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2019 7:49 PM

Fair enough, R46.

by Anonymousreply 51March 4, 2019 7:33 AM

To be enslaved by Taylor in the 1960s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2019 10:19 PM

one more from late 1960s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 3, 2019 10:20 PM

OP that picture is art.

by Anonymousreply 54April 3, 2019 10:24 PM

R46 which is ironic as Richard starred in the broadway production of “Cameltoe.”

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2019 1:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!