Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Work Laptops

1) Should one assume every work supplied laptop in the world has a key logger on it?

I have 2 "users" on my 17" fab notebook - one for work one for personal. I have 2 laptops at home but of course I only commute with the work one and only bring that one on weekend trips if I am doing any work. So I use my "personal" user on the work supplied one.

2) Should one assume all work wifi network use is logged AND monitored?

I asked my a friend in tech services at my job and the answers were 1) rofl laughing NO we don't install key loggers and 2) of course could monitor Internet use but we never ever do it.

Whats your M.O. on these questions of privacy and security?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2018 11:10 AM

Use a different laptop for personal things. It's not complicated.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2018 10:00 AM

If your company is ever sued, everything on your laptop becomes fair game during Discovery. Large swathes of strangers may wind up reading about the most intimate details of your life.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2018 10:11 AM

I broadcast on Chaturbate on my work laptop when I travel for work. No one has ever said a thing.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2018 10:22 AM

You shouldn't assume OP - you should [bold]know[/bold] that most corporations can pull out every single one of your emails (including deleted from long ago) and produce a report on your internet browsing history. Keylogger - no.

Generally, email and browsing report are only generated and looked at if you are doing something that contravenes company policy or they want to fire you. They will often look through your history/emails to find supporting evidence.

For that reason you should use your work supplied laptop for work purposes only. How can anybody who works for a corporation not know this?

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2018 10:49 AM

Depends on the size of the corporation OP, the type of business and your role in it.

Having two separate user accounts does nothing for you.

At least keep a separate email account for your personal correspondence-- I am always surprised at how many people use their work email for everything.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2018 11:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!