Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Banned in 46 countries' – is Faces of Death the most shocking film ever?

'Banned in 46 countries' – is Faces of Death the most shocking film ever?

Mon 1 Oct 2018 01.00 EDT

It is regarded as one of the most depraved films ever – a ‘shockumentary’ full of autopsies, plane crashes and executions. Why was Faces of Death so influential? And does its director have any regrets?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2018 11:05 PM

Written by the director, John Schwartz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2018 11:16 PM

wasn't most of it staged? i saw this when i was very young and don't remember it as especially shocking.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2018 11:20 PM

I saw it a long time ago. There are some graphic scenes but there's a lot of fakery. Like a fake execution where the guy who's being electrocuted is unceremoniously dumped in a chair, the switch is turned on, and he immediately starts shaking and foaming at the mouth. It's laughably fake.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2018 11:20 PM

Thanks for posting that article, OP. It was very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2018 11:28 PM

Apparently, the footage of the 1978 crash of PSA flight 182 in San Diego, with body parts strewn about on the street, was real.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2018 11:28 PM

The worst thing I've seen on a Faces of Death video was footage of the aftermath of the 1978 PSA-182 crash; very disturbing shots of body parts (I recall an attendant uniform-clad torso), and a sickening shot of someone who literally ended up as a splatter on the side of someone's home.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2018 11:29 PM

The nasty, bullying neighbor boys had all of the tapes and tried to “force” me and my little friend into watching it. This was mid-80s.

All I remember is a scene of an old man being yanked by the arm out of a small boat by an alligator. I covered my eyes before he got chewed up. Was that scene faked? It sure looked real to me.

Looking back, I sort of wish that I had seen it just to know what all the fuss was about. But then again, “why should I sully my beautiful mind”, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2018 11:35 PM

Someone rented this for movie night at my all-girls boarding school. Although some of it seemed fake, I think some of it was real and the feeling of death stuck to us for days. I felt compelled to show what a badass I was by watching the whole thing, but I found it disturbing. Even if it was partly fake, it’s fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2018 11:43 PM

The full movie is on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2018 11:49 PM

Was the scene of the man getting snatched by an alligator real or not ?

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2018 11:54 PM

I haven’t thought about these films in years (I think it’s a series). They held a cachet in my high school, and watching them proved you were tough. This was in the late ‘80s. Obviously you had to seek out the tapes and finagle a way to obtain and watch them; now all of it and worse is available to anyone, anytime, online.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2018 11:56 PM

See for yourself what all the fuss is about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2018 12:07 AM

Anyone remember a scene of older women jumping from a window? A fire broke out at a hair salon; they showed the bodies on the roof of the building next door.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2018 1:54 AM

That was in New Orleans in the 60’s or 70’s.

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2018 1:57 AM

It's not shocking or scary.

Just kind of ugly and gross.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2018 1:58 AM

Didn't it show a woman getting hit by a train? That was shocking; in a second she was splattered in pieces.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2018 2:00 AM

Wasn’t there a scene where they bash a monkeys head with hammers and eat it’s brains?

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2018 2:03 AM

Some real, most fake , staged or reenactments. There were several tapes IIRC, like Faces of Death I, II, III, IV, V etc.

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2018 2:08 AM

So many gore sites these days — makes FoD seem quaint.

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2018 2:18 AM

The monkey scene is referenced in the linked article

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2018 10:37 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the favorite movie of DL's Serial Killer In Residence.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2018 10:38 PM

Most of it was fake. I mean, the ridiculous "acid is groovy, kill the pigs"-type cult sacrifice thing? Please. Faces of Death was like the only one of those movies where they tried to make it look like it had "artistic merit" instead of just gratuitous death scenes...I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2018 10:41 PM

I haven't seen any of it, but the fact that it used footage of the carnage from PSA Flight182 haunts me a bit. That traumatic plunge from the sky and then to be robbed of any shred of dignity in death.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2018 10:48 PM

reminds me of that website consumption junction, whatever happened to that..

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2018 11:02 PM

I saw it many years ago and it fucked with me for a long time. I remember: people eating live monkey brains, flight crash/body parts everywhere, people ran over by trucks and buses and people ran over by trains. Gruesome shit that stays with you forever.

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2018 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!