Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ben Murphy

He had a popular series in the early '70s, "Alias Smith & Jones," which was effectively derailed by the death of his co-star, Pete Duel. Always found him hot, so curious if anyone here has ever encountered/worked with him. He was only married for three years back in the early '80s but that's about all that's known on his personal life.

The pic by the way is a still from the short-lived series Ben had in the '70s called "Gemini Man."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2018 11:35 PM

This is a more recent photo of Ben.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2018 1:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2018 1:38 PM

Why was that older thread closed?

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2018 1:47 PM

Viva!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2018 1:58 PM

Early on (1968-1970) he played Joe Sample on the TV show "The Name of the Game".

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2018 2:06 PM

His name is in urban dictionary:

"Isn't that a tad Gay? Yeh a bit Ben murphyish"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2018 2:07 PM

He looked like Paul Newman, and the TV show was inspired by Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Unfortunately, the show sucked, and Ben wasn't much of an actor. I preferred Peter Duel's replacement - Roger Davis (Dark Shadows), who sounded like Henry Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2018 2:08 PM

To each his own, R7.

I thought the show lost its spark when Duel died and Davis could not fill the gap.

As a point of interest, Roger Davis did the voice overs for "Alias Smith and Jones" before Duel died.

He (Davis) was also husband #1 of Jaclyn Smith. Both Smith and Davis were married 4 times, but the Smith/Davis marriage was the first for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2018 5:34 PM

I thought he was cute too, OP

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2018 5:46 PM

According to the executive producer, ABC was very cold with regard to Duel's death. He had wanted to end the series but the network refused:

[quote]ABC said, "No way!" They said, "You have a contract to deliver this show to us, and you will continue to deliver the show as best you can on schedule or we will sue you." Hearing those words, Universal didn't hesitate for a second to instruct us to stay in production. We were already a little bit behind the eight ball on airdates. So, we contacted everybody, including Ben (Murphy), and told them to come back in. The entire company was reassembled and back in production by one o'clock that day shooting scenes that did not involve Peter — only 12 hours after his death.

One of the show's other producers contacted Davis on the day Duel died about stepping into Duel's role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2018 8:38 PM

Ben Murphy also played the elder son of Robert Mitchum and Polly Bergen in the mini-series "The Winds of War" (1983). His character was a navy pilot.

I don't get the "bad actor" jokes. I never thought so.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2018 11:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!