Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your handwriting like?

Someone told me I have super gay handwriting, and I didn't tell them I was gay. Apparently it was feminine looking. Is there such a thing as gay handwriting?

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2019 2:08 AM

No. The handwriting comes from your ability to mimic whatever your teachers modeled. They don’t even teach handwriting anymore. These kids are printing their signatures like Jethro from Beverly Hillbillies

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2018 7:38 PM

I've always been quite proud of my penmanship. I was born left handed and when I started using crayons as a toddler my mother saw I was favoring my left hand. She immediately set out to put a stop to that. She got me started doing simple doodles on a chalk board when I was 3, but only with my right hand. When I turned 4 she taught me the alphabet and how to print all the letters right handed. When I turned 5 I graduated to cursive. By the time I started first grade the next year my penmanship was great. I remember my first grade teacher being astounded that that I could already write and in cursive no less, and my penmanship was better than most adults.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2018 7:46 PM

Atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2018 7:48 PM

R2, nowadays your mother would be arrested for that. child abuse!

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2018 7:49 PM

Pretty bad, no one ever taught me how to write properly so if I have to handbomb something I print.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2018 7:49 PM

When I see the contortions most lefties have to go into just to write I am very proud to be a righty.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2018 7:50 PM

I've liked an inordinate number of lefties, but I am hopelessly right-handed. I used to have "Perfect Palmer," but arthritis kicked its ass. I have to slow down to write anything if I want to be able to read it afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2018 7:51 PM

Mine is pretty awful. I'm so used to typing everything that when I actually have to write something (the rare check, for example), I struggle to make it legible, and some characters (for example, an '8') are nearly impossible for me. I'm old, too, so there's no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2018 7:53 PM

Gay handwriting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2018 7:55 PM

On the contrary. Mother did me a great favor teaching me to be a right handed writer. Most people favor one hand or the other for most tasks. I favor my right hand only for writing. I can do anything else equally well with either hand, and I believe it's because mother trained me to write with my right hand. And besides, that was in the mid 50's. People werern't so outlandishly reactionary about things they now call "child abuse".

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2018 7:56 PM

Another example of gay handwriting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2018 8:01 PM

OP, dot his "i"s with hearts and his "t"s look like penises.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2018 8:13 PM

When I was a teenager I was told my handwriting was feminine. I deliberately changed my handwriting from “pretty” to “legible.” In the long run legible is what really counts. I changed all the cursive capital letters to printed style, which is as quick and easy as fancy cursive capitals.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2018 8:31 PM

Illegible if I use a ballpoint pen, somewhat better with a gel or ink pen.

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2018 8:35 PM

Mine is and always has been beautiful. I’m in my 30s, so I’m an anomaly in my age group. It’s an art that has to be practiced.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2018 8:50 PM

female here and I have beautiful handwriting. My son who is straight also has my handwriting. Flourishes and all.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2018 8:53 PM

In school, we learned the D'Nealian method, which is quite ugly compared to Palmer. My current handwriting is basically a more elegant D’Nealian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2018 8:55 PM

I have beautiful penmanship, which is oft complimented.

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2018 9:02 PM

Forensic scientist can tell a lot by your handwriting as cursive styles differed by even decades.

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2018 9:04 PM

It's very neat, yet "instructional" looking. I was taught the Palmer script, and I never varied much from it once I got the hang of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2018 9:12 PM

Tragically, r2’s efforts were for naught when another student was awarded the class penmanship medal at the school picnic.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2018 9:38 PM

Great, legible, "feminine". I can't write cursive for shit, but print is different. My father made me practice my handwriting when I was a kid. He considered it as a marker of intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2018 9:43 PM

What's "handwriting?"

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2018 9:45 PM

I used to have beautiful handwriting. Now it resembles a doctor's.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2018 9:46 PM

When I take the time to write slower, it’s relatively unchanged from my elementary school penmanship. But arthritis is taking a toll, and my signature has evolved into illegible.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2018 10:11 PM

I'm left handed and until the 8th grade it was atrocious. Then it suddenly became kind of beautiful. Now I'm 58 and because I don't write a lot, it's just OK. I'm really sad that none of my nieces and nephews can't write in longhand. They have printed signatures.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2018 10:39 PM

How do kids who don't learn cursive in school anymore sign their names?

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2018 10:44 PM

This is mine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2018 11:26 PM

^^Linky stinky

by Anonymousreply 29September 23, 2018 5:25 PM

R27, they either print, or they just make a squiggly line.

by Anonymousreply 30September 23, 2018 5:26 PM

Pres. Trump’s signature looks like a seismograph during a moderate earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2018 3:25 AM

I’m a lefty Millennial with poor handwriting.

I write in a tiny messy quasi-cursive, though I never properly learned as it was not part of the curriculum and my parents had little interest in my academic education as far as penmanship (if I turned up to class everyday and brought home Bs & Cs I was golden). Naturally my handwriting tends to spiky and erratic, and when I’m in a rush or not focused on making it look neat it’s illegible to anyone but me. On lined jotter pages my words tend to hover above the lines and my sentences drift away. Some of my consonants have very long straight stems and others big loops. In my haste I will sometimes skip letters or only half-finish them. It’s a horror but I don’t care.

I’m adamant I won’t follow the ‘lefty wrist’ protocol whereby the writer holds their wrist at a cramping right-angle to prevent smudges. I simply use biro or pencil where possible, and otherwise smudge the fucker. Down with lefty oppression, I say.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2019 10:56 PM

When I write quickly, it's barely legible. If I take my time, it's fairly attractive. Like you, OP, I've been told since elementary school that my cursive handwriting looks like a girl's. I think there is a link between gay males and "feminine" handwriting.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2019 12:50 AM

Here's mine. People often tell me I have the ugliest handwriting they'd ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2019 8:03 AM

Uh, what language is that, r34?

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2019 8:10 AM

That’s not that ugly, R34. Mine is worse.

And to answer the OP (wherefore art thou?), yes there is such a thing as gay handwriting. My best friend in high school was a major queen and his handwriting was extremely bubbly like a girl’s.

Since then, I have noticed really femme gays have girlish handwriting. It looks *just* an unsophisticated woman’s handwriting/printing. Such a turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2019 8:17 AM

*just like*

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2019 8:18 AM

Awful. Chicken scratchings on a good day

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2019 8:28 AM

Has anyone tried to learn Russian here? My teacher was an absolute nazi about cursive (Russians are big into it) and told me, “even your Ah look American!” The Cyrillic lower case “a” is basically a cursive “a” with a really round top. She also told me I sounded like a Ukrainian when speaking Russian. She was kind of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2019 8:36 AM

And this wasn’t too long ago. I’m an old millennial - born in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2019 8:36 AM

R35 It's Serbian, which is funny because I'm not even a Serb. But R28 put down lyrics to Manic Monday so I decided to scribble down some songs lyrics as well and that Serbian song was the first one that came to my mind.

Too bad we don't have any Georgians posting here because I'd love to see how their handwriting looks like. They have a really crazy-looking alphabet, with many of the letters looking almost identical so it's probably crucial how you write them down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2019 12:29 PM

Two things you can't tell through handwriting are age and gender. One may have "girlie" writing but that does not mean they are female.

R34 is crazy smart and thinks very, very fast. You don't suffer fools and little things that you feel slow you down annoy you. You don't have a big circle of friends and often prefer being alone to socializing.

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2019 12:40 PM

R42 OK, that was creepy because you got me down to a T. I used to think graphology was full of shit but I see now there must be something to it.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2019 12:47 PM

Horrid ...typical left handing writing

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2019 12:55 PM

My ex-BF has the most beautiful, feminine handwriting. I can tell when he sends me anything, just by his handwriting. I don't know where he learned it. We're both very working class guys in Ohio. My own handwriting is awful. I can sign my name, but writing anything else is miserable. I'm old-fashioned, and send out Christmas cards every year, but I think my friends and relatives must wonder if I've had a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2019 1:15 PM

Thank you, R43.

I have always been fascinated by graphology and studied it for a few years. Graphology will not predict the future like astrology, tarot cards, psychics, etc. It just shows the traits of the writer. Handwriting is considered brain writing. Even if you held your pen in your feet, the same character traits would show up.

Also, a person's signature is how they want the world to see them. A person's handwriting is how they really are.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2019 1:16 PM

I have beautiful handwriting and penmanship was one of my favorite classes. Yes, many gay men, especially the Catholic school trained, have superb handwriting.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2019 1:27 PM

Bold and capitalized.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2019 1:32 PM

I'm reposting R28's pic because someone said they can't see the link. Can you analyze him/her too, R42?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2019 1:33 PM

R28/R49: This person also likes their space. Doesn't much like having too many activities without down time time between them. This person lives more in a day-to-day kind of way without a lot of long term goals or planning. They are honest and straight-forward. They don't like a lot of unnecessary shit or frills (Marie Konda probably not needed here). You can trust this person to keep a secret. Not a million friends but more of a select few that they are close to.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2019 1:49 PM

Doesn't R28 write in cursive?

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2019 7:17 PM

My handwriting is shit and always has been. I still remember my first-grade teacher mocking me in front of the entire class, insulting my "chicken scratch". 😭😠

I broke my wrist at age 10, and never went back to actual writing after that, only printing.

But yeah, even when I try really really hard to have nice handwriting, it looks pretty bad. Plus I always get distracted and forget to try so hard, so then it gets even worse!

by Anonymousreply 52January 20, 2019 6:12 AM

Lefty here.

I used to have nice handwriting then I started doing a lot of gothic black letter calligraphy. Now I print everything. Straight up and down. No frills.

It may be plain but it is very legible.

by Anonymousreply 53January 20, 2019 6:58 AM

I think handwriting can be effeminate in a similar way as mannerisms and voice. All of them can make me wonder if a guy is gay.

by Anonymousreply 54January 20, 2019 7:15 AM

I have great handwriting and take great pride in it. The chicken scratch some people have is trashy.

by Anonymousreply 55January 20, 2019 7:26 AM

My straight brother's handwiting is far more "feminine" than mine, well it's much neater than mind, anyway. He prints flawlessly, mine definitely looks more masculine in comparison. I don't think handwriting is a very good indicator of orientation.

by Anonymousreply 56January 20, 2019 7:52 AM

Some people need to remove "trashy" from their vocabulary. It's fucking tired.

by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2019 8:10 AM

R34 That is torture to try to read, it looks like alien language.

by Anonymousreply 58January 20, 2019 8:12 AM

But we love you anyway.

by Anonymousreply 59January 20, 2019 8:33 AM

R28 and R49, you there?

by Anonymousreply 60January 20, 2019 5:36 PM

I'm R49 and I'm here but I'm not R28 -I just reposted his pic. R28 must be too busy listening to Manic Monday on repeat to let us know how accurate your analysis of his handwriting was.

by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2019 12:10 AM

I learned handwriting in Catholic school, so my cursive was best from fifth grade through my senior year of high school. In college I typed most papers, and took notes in shorthand. I took so many notes over the years, my handwriting began to resemble that shorthand. After thirty-five years at a keyboard, any writing I do resembles my father's cursive-printing hybrid. I think handwriting is inherited on some levels.

by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2019 1:46 AM

Mine seems to vary. The other day at the bank they made me resign a form because it didn't look like the one they had on file in the computer. Odd. I don't know how to have a consistent signature.

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2019 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!