Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I am rewatching "Inception" for the first time in about a decade

What an awful movie! It makes no sense!

But Tom Hardy is so beautiful to look at and Joseph Gordon Levitt is so elegantly dressed.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2020 11:46 PM

Agreed. I really hated it when it first came out. So fucking overrated.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2018 1:56 PM

OP, you've summed up its pros and cons.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2018 1:59 PM

I never understood the hype about it either. It must have been a better experience in theaters. "Are we awake or are we still dreaming?" Bitch, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2018 2:07 PM

I’m not a fan of Leo, and I find Tom Hardy disgusting. Despite that I enjoyed the film. Having Cillian Murphy eye candy did not hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2018 2:15 PM

Hated it! A smart film only for the idiocracy.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2018 2:17 PM

It is a horrible movie, just ridiculous and makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2018 2:26 PM

Inshepshion.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2018 2:33 PM

What do dumb str8 guys see in Nolan's films?! Five of his films are among the 50 best rated films of all time on IMDB, which used to be Nolan fanboys central (until they closed down the message boards).

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2018 2:36 PM

I didn't like it the first time. I wouldn't rewatch it. Why did you op?

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2018 3:00 PM

To see if my opinion has changed!

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2018 3:17 PM

You're a good generous patient man r10

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2018 3:43 PM

It's better than "Interstellar", now that movie was awful.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2018 3:45 PM

Innershtellar.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2018 3:46 PM

And I loved both of those movies, so does that mean I am not gay?

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2018 3:49 PM

I listened to a podcast a little bit ago that talked about the idea that "Inception" is a metaphor about making a movie. I'd be interested in seeing it again from that perspective. The roles do all seem to match up.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2018 3:53 PM

That might be an interesting intellectual exercise. But art shouldn't have to be explained to the viewer. If it doesn't connect with you on a gut level, then something's missing.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2018 4:22 PM

It was released less than a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2018 4:26 PM

I said ABOUT, asshole!

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2018 4:31 PM

[quote] And I loved both of those movies, so does that mean I am not gay?

No, it just means you have a horrible taste.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2018 4:37 PM

I loved it. I still do.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2018 4:39 PM

Wow I just watched this for first time since it came out myself and thought it was fantastic. Maybe you didn’t get it OP?

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2018 1:49 PM

I have a love-hate attitude toward Nolan.

Dunkirk was one of my favorite films last year, and I really liked Following & Momento. Even Insomnia, while not as good as the original, was still a pretty good film.

But OMG those other movies!

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2018 2:04 PM

Inception and Interstellar are both fantastic films. Nolan is a true auteur and if you can’t see that, you have very questionable taste.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2018 2:10 PM

I liked the movie, great idea, transports you into a new world, some great CGI and a great cast (including Caine, Watanabe, Cotillard, Hardy, etc.) Not quite sure what your expectations were but there are several classic scenes right up to the final spinning top.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2018 2:11 PM

[quote]Nolan is a true auteur and if you can’t see that, you have very questionable taste.

Yeah, you're a real Andrew Sarris with your Auteur Detector.

I've probably seen about 10X as many films as you. And as a result I'm very well aware there are a LOT of true auteurs around - from the silent era through today. And Nolan is nowhere near even the middle of the list.

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2018 2:19 PM

Nolan tried to make a dream movie. How cute.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2018 2:26 PM

What are you talking about? It’s just an extended metaphor for filmmaking.

C’mon guys, you can’t tout your own intelligence while complaining that a movie with such a clear meaning is bad because it makes no sense!

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2018 2:26 PM

[quote]What do dumb str8 guys see in Nolan's films?! Five of his films are among the 50 best rated films of all time on IMDB, which used to be Nolan fanboys central (until they closed down the message boards).

For the majority of people, the center of identity has been shifted externally. From Leave Britney Alone to identity politics, you're either with them or against them. There's no room for objective assessment to say this or that movie is good, but his other movie is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2018 2:52 PM

I liked it the first time I watched it. The second time, not so much. Overrated for sure. I also have an intense dislike for Leonardo DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2018 3:04 PM

It turned up on Netflix so I fell into it.

Bombastic junk!

At least it had great-looking men: Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Cillian Murphy, and Ken Watanabe. They made Leo look more troll-like than usual by comparison.

Ellen Page was terrible. Marion Cotillard was great in an underwritten part. I always welcome Michael Caine, even when slumming as here.

The bones for a good sci-fi series are here. Pity it ended up strictly Nolan’s creation, a sort of deadly serious, masculine version of camp, a description I read of his Batman movies here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2020 11:24 PM

After The Dark Knight Rises I lost all respect for Nolan's pseudo-intellectual crap. What the fuck is even the point of Inception. Then the spinning top at the end to prove it never all happened. Fucking lame.

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote] I never understood the hype about it either. It must have been a better experience in theaters. "Are we awake or are we still dreaming?" Bitch, who cares?

I went to sleep on it, in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2020 11:41 PM

As much as I disliked Inception, Interstellar was far worse and more boring.

It also lacked Tom Hardy’s lips.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2020 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!