Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fish and Chips

I was never really a fan at all, until I had fried fresh Halibut with really good chips on Salt Spring Island, BC a few years ago. Now I'm kind of addicted to them, though I only have them twice a year, at most.

I like the malt vinegar on my fish, but not on my chips, thank you very much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2018 4:54 PM

Fresh Cod makes the best fish & Chips with a good beer battered crust. I'm not a fan of malt vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2018 12:29 AM

Yum ! Me too. I love fish and chips , also fried clams and chips with malt vinegar. By far my favourite restaurant meal.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2018 12:30 AM

I used to go there as a kid before it got all fancy.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2018 12:39 AM

Back in the late 60s, there was a chain of fish and chip restaurants. I don't recall the name (Alfie's?), but there was one on S. Shepherd Drive in Houston. I'd love an order right now for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2018 12:44 AM

Teds Fish Fry in Troy NY had the best ones I ever tasted . The Munchers, I got so addicted to them I ate there 3 times a week.And put on 20 lbs in no time. That was one of the few things positive I could say about Troy ,how I loathed it there. Gorgeous architecture everywhere and tons of very trashy people.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2018 1:00 AM

I never ate there but I remember hearing about the chain called Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips. According to Wikipedia it still exists in New York State and Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2018 1:04 AM

peasant food

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2018 1:07 AM

R6, Yes, we had Arthur Treacher's when I was growing up, and I now recognize it as trash fast food, but I definitely loved it at the time. I used to have it for lunch when I worked at the downtown P&G offices. Now, the only locations are on the other side of the state. And I will admit that I love malt vinegar, and always soaked my 'chips' with vinegar. I'm hoping a Brit will weigh in, since I thought 'chip shops' were still popular in England.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2018 1:12 AM

I love me some fush 'n' chups.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2018 1:15 AM

In the 70's in southern California, there was H Salt Fish and Chips. I don't know if they're still around. In my neighborhood there was a family owned fish and chips place. They had bomb crinkle fries. During Lent their line was around the block.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2018 1:19 AM

God, I would kill for some right now!

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2018 1:25 AM

OP, did you also start the “How to limit calories” thread? You you’re slick, don’t you?

A place near me makes excellent fish and chips. Always very fresh (and I’m in Colorado. I know. I know fresh fish, though. From the mid-Atlantic ...)

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2018 1:28 AM

*think you’re

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2018 1:29 AM

Don't make the mistake I did when ordering.

They brought me Halle butt.

And it wasn't fresh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2018 1:34 AM

Just returned from Iceland. Food is ridiculously expensive there, but the fish and chips were FABULOUS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2018 1:38 AM

R5 Ted’s Fish Fry! Troy has gotten a bit better in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2018 1:52 AM

he best fish and chips I ever ate was in BC! What a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2018 3:09 AM

Grew up in New England. Nothing better than a pile of fresh fried seafood. Haddock, Cod or Scrod is the best, but fried clams are my favorite food in the world. Add a plate of steamers and a lobster please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2018 4:09 AM

We LOVE our fush and chups

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2018 4:12 AM

Twice a year is not an addiction. You're just. Drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2018 7:44 AM

And y’all say Southerners are overly fond of fried food?!

fat-TAYs!

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2018 7:49 AM

It's not the real thing unless it's in England. Canada doesn't count. As usual.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2018 8:10 AM

There's a place in town that serves good fish and chips second-degree-burning hot out of the fryer, it's very satisfying to get them once a year!

They also serve Chinese food and specialize in dumplings, and if you go you'll be treated to the sight of the owner sitting at a table assembling dumplings and haranguing the staff in Cantonese. But then, all the fish and chips places in this region seem to be run by Chinese or Vietnamese families.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2018 9:22 PM

Brit here. NOTHING is better than really good fish and chips. In ye olde days, we always had them wrapped up in proper old newspapers at the chip shop and for some reason that just made them taste better ( in my mind.. anyway)

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2018 9:27 PM

AMEN! With you all the way OP ... and all other chip lovers. Me for cod, and the malt, but whatever floats your love for the royal family. You know, Harry really does have bony scrawny legs.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2018 9:50 PM

I wish the places in my region wrapped them in newspaper, R24. I once made them mistake of getting them to go and the local place put them in the usual Styrofoam container, which rendered them damp and soggy within five minutes.

Newspaper is breathable and absorbent, it absorbs a little of the grease without trapping the moisture. It's the ideal medium for transporting the greasy nuggets of heaven.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2018 9:50 PM

Yum! George's in London, Paddington.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2018 9:53 PM

Well, I like fried chicken livers.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2018 9:56 PM

I love it, but from good seafood places. Had the best in Canada.

To even mention Long John's or Arthur Treacher's is to mention utter and complete T R A S H.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2018 9:57 PM

R18. That photo is orgasmic ! There's nothing more mouth-watering and pure ambrosial than North Atlantic East Coast clams and chips and I've traveled the world : France, Italy, Japan, India, Mexico, the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2018 12:57 AM

First, there is no such fish as scrod. Scrod or Shrod is just any old white fish. The word was made up at the Parker House in Boston.

British fish & chips is mostly Whiting or Dogfish. Trash fish sent directly from New England. We only see it here as low end frozen "fish sticks" or cat food. The key is the batter.

Really nice fried fish is either cod or haddock. I've never heard of fried Halibut but I bet it's really great though expensive.

If your ever up this way, try the Cream and Cone on rt 28 in Dennis. Horrible name but the fried seafood is the best I've had.

Yup, I grew up and have returned to the Cape.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2018 1:21 AM

Scrod are young Haddock or Cod, I grew up in New England too. That's generally the accepted definition.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2018 8:19 AM

R31, thanks for the tips! The fried halibut was the most expensive fish-n-chips option on their menu, but it wasn't that much more. But let's keep in mind, Halibut is probably cheaper in BC and Alaska than anywhere else on Earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2018 1:07 PM

No R31, British fish & chips is NOT mostly Whiting or Dogfish. IT IS HADDOCK OR COD … I repeat, haddock or cod appear most commonly as the fish used for British fish and chips. Brits tell you haddock or cod ('Haddock is for heroes, Cod is for zeros'). Got it?

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2018 6:08 PM

Um, yup. The tons of dogfish (small sharks) and Whiting that are shipped daily from New England directly to the U.K. must be being used for something else.

Got it.

& P.S. Cod and Haddock have been fished out for years.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2018 10:24 PM

R31 Don't forget Nova Scotia. Ground Zero for yummy fish and chips. Haddock and halibut are still available but cod less so.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2018 10:34 PM

if you're in England and reading this - get fish and chips at the café in Sainsbury's supermarket, it's as good as any of the posh places that make it. I kid you not and it costs about £5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2018 11:19 PM

In fact Ilm a YUUUUGE fan of Sainsbury's cafe, in general.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2018 11:21 PM

video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2018 11:22 PM

But where is the best place in Manhattan to get great fish and chips??

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2018 11:23 PM

for R40

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2018 11:31 PM

R10, we still have H Salt in LA.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2018 1:15 AM

Arthur Treacher's and Long John Silver's are the McDonalds and Jack In The Box of fish n chip joints.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2018 3:31 AM

What makes fish &chips in the UK is the chips. Steak fries aren’t really the same thing at all. I think it’s the variety of potato they use there known as maris piper. Nothing like a greasy paper cone of chips soaked in salt and vinegar walking home from a late night of drinks.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2018 4:06 AM

[quote]What makes fish &chips in the UK is the chips. Steak fries aren’t really the same thing at all. I think it’s the variety of potato they use there known as maris piper. Nothing like a greasy paper cone of chips soaked in salt and vinegar walking home from a late night of drinks.

I prefer the ones you get in France, with mayo. OMG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2018 4:15 AM

Is Marathon Seafood still in Dennis R31? Twenty years ago I’d go there when I lived in Provincetown. (When my grandparents brought my brothers & I to Dennis in the 1960’s Marathon was a Howard Johnson’s.)

Greeks owned it. They had the best fried seafood platter I’ve ever had. It was $30- (!!) then, but I’d take home 2/3 of it and pick at it for the next two days.

When I was a kid my mom was a waitress at the Red Wing in Walpole MA. She’d bring home a fried seafood plate that I’d find in the fridge in the morning and eat cold fried clams, fish, & scallops w/ tartar sauce.

We have lousy seafood in Florida, where I live now.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2018 4:36 AM

I swear I had plaice for my fish and chips in West Acton. They were delicious.

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2018 4:41 AM

[quote]When I was a kid my mom was a waitress at the Red Wing in Walpole MA.

And when I was a kid I was sick on the table at the Red Wing because my flake of an aunt let her nasty little toddler eat clam chowder with his hands right across from me. I guess I showed them.

I hope it was your mother’s day off.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2018 4:52 AM

I don't get to England as often as I'd like to, but you can bet your sweet ass I stuff myself with fish and chips as though it were the last full meal I'll eat for months.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2018 4:53 AM

We no longer have Elby's Big Boy restaurants in my area, but I used to love their Fish & Chips. The fish was so good.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2018 4:56 AM

I hate to break the news to you, Darfur O, but those [italic]were[/italic] the las... Oh, never mind.

I just know that the day when you’re neck-deep in fish and chips is right around the corner. I can feel it! Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there’ll be some.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2018 5:07 AM

I've arranged for a lot of people to sleep with the fishes.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2018 5:13 AM

Tomorrow, Tomorrow

I love ya, tomorrow

You're only a 🐟 a-waaaaaay !

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2018 5:16 AM

Eat me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote]It's not the real thing unless it's in England.

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2018 6:48 AM

If my waistline os to indulge, it's essential to be by the beach and be able to smell the salt water and sand!.

That said, I agree with the Soots poster, as apart from beachside Barramundi/Snapper/ Whiting and chips in Oz, I still remember Glasgow cold Friday nights and butcher paper wrapped cod 'n chipsamong the bitchin best: so comforting, cheap and yes, gourmet crisp fresh not greasy stodge I found in parts of England.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2018 7:08 AM

[quote]I like the malt vinegar on my fish, but not on my chips, thank you very much.

Well aren't you just precious !!

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2018 7:28 AM

In England, there's a regional divide: in the south, it's overwhelmingly cod in fish & chips; in the north, they prefer haddock. In a fish & chip shop, you can usually ask for "rock", or "rock salmon", which is in fact dogfish, but it's not the most popular choice. If it's a chain restaurant and the menu just says "fish and chips", it might well be pollack. But never, never whiting. It just isn't used in fish & chips.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2018 8:01 AM

I douche with the malt vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2018 4:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!