Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Car Wash (1976)

Written by Joel Schumacher and starring Richard Pryor, The Pointer Sisters, George Carlin, and featuring a pre-nose job, surprisingly big titted Melanie Mayron who is one of the only recurring female characters throughout the movie. Some of her dialogue references what type of nose she should get.

A subplot featuring Danny DeVito and Brooke Adams was deleted.

The line "I'm more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll ever have!" is heard again, and said by Philip Seymour Hoffman in Schumacher's Flawless (1999).

Did you see Car Wash?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2018 1:30 AM

There's the typical homophobia from comedies in the 70s, though there is that one transgender character.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2018 6:48 AM

"You got to believeeeee in something....why not believe in ME?!"

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2018 9:24 AM

Love the song.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2018 9:43 AM

“Excuse me brother, but is ribs pig?”

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2018 12:38 PM

One of my favorite movies and still makes me laugh today.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2018 12:58 PM

I saw it at the Gordon Theater, LaBrea and Melrose during the summer of 76 or 77. Can't believe it was that long ago! I thought it was a lot of fun.

I've lost track of the guys I went with, but in hindsight of the six of us, three were closeted black gay men.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2018 3:04 PM

Richard Pryor's best role will still always be Gus Gorman in Superman III

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2018 3:18 PM

Yes.

And what’s more, the kids in my sixth-grade class did a line dance melded with a Soul Train line to the theme song during indoor recesses. I brought the 45 every cloudy day and prayed for rain.

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2018 3:38 PM

Saw it at the drive-in theater in '76. Whole family laughed our asses off. You could hear laughter through the whole field of cars.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2018 3:50 PM

[quote] The line "I'm more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll ever have!" is heard again,

That line originated with our dear Glenn, who said it to some poor boy who wouldn't dance with her at a William & Mary mixer.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2018 4:14 PM

It was when movies had songs on their soundtrack that would hit #1.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote]A subplot featuring Danny DeVito and Brooke Adams was deleted.

What ever happened to Brooke Adams? Now that's a career that went nowhere...

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2018 4:25 PM

It's one of those 70s films that had everything, and it actually worked. The story line about the older guy talking the younger out of doing the robbery, the real life of a hooker, race relations not just between whites and other races, but other races with each other, the well being but ignorant of the world white boy trying to be political. Add to that a great sound track, great cast and humour and everything about it is right.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2018 5:19 PM

A perfect after party spot for the premiere of this movie would have been Jewel's Catch One, not far from the filming location.

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2018 5:39 PM

Let me tell you It's better than digging a ditch.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2018 5:42 PM

Holy shit, I have never seen that movie nor did I ever see Mayron pre-surgery. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2018 5:44 PM

Melanie Mayron was really cute in this.

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2018 6:01 PM

I wonder if Joel Schumacher wrote the homophobic lines

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2018 3:09 AM

Ahh to magically transport back to that bicentennial summer - carefree and innocent. Good times. And it was a fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2018 4:59 AM

Who knew Melanie had those tits?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2018 7:09 AM

Antonio Fargas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2018 11:12 PM

Love Bill Duke

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2018 11:21 PM

Featured Franklin Ajaye. One of the few black comedians seen on TV in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2018 11:31 PM

This movie is okay as a comedy.

As far as I know, there has never been an explanation as to why Danny DeVito's scenes were cut out of the home media releases.

The best thing about this movie is the soundtrack.

"Car Wash" - "I Wanna Get Next to You" - "I'm Goin' Down" - "Water".

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2018 1:19 PM

I don't remember the homophobia, or the movie in general. But I remember "I'm more of a woman than you'll ever have, and more of a man than you'll ever be." which was definitely pro-gay for its time. Antonio wasn't playing a victim.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2018 1:29 PM

Loved it! And I bought the 2-album soundtrack, too!

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2018 1:37 PM

Was it a great disco soundtrack? I like disco but thought the title was just ok, helped on the charts by the movie's popularity.

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2018 1:41 PM

R27 The soundtrack is a mix of disco and R&B - great listening.

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2018 1:43 PM

Watched with parents. Of course, as a kid, a lot went over my head. Iconic....

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2018 1:52 PM

I met Antonio Fargas at one of those nostalgia conventions, and I told him how much his character, and that line in particular, meant to me as a young gay guy finding his way.

He was very gracious and friendly, and we shook hands.

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2018 1:59 PM

The original version of I'm going down by Rose Royce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2018 10:50 AM

I still listen to the title song.

My parents got their cars washed at the Figueroa Car Wash, which is the car wash in the movie. Though by the time the movie came out, we'd moved to another part of the city.

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2018 10:59 AM

R32, that’s pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2018 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!