Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dick Cavett's Montauk manse on market

Tasteful friends, what do you make of talk show host Dick Cavett's abode? Is he going into a home?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2018 3:10 AM

That's a lotta house for one guy. It dwarfs everything around it, and the interiors shown are fusty.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2018 5:11 AM

I didn’t know he was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2018 5:12 AM

WHET the post on this exact topic from a few hours ago ?

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2018 5:21 AM

He and his wife live in CT. I was at a party at Tick Hall this summer--a benefit for Guild Hall slash showcase for realtors. The house, designed by Stanford White, and the property are stunning. The picture makes the house look bigger than it is. It's the antithesis of the yard-less McMansions in Watermill and Bridgehampton. And it comes with 20 acres. Right on the cliffs in Montauk.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2018 5:25 AM

I didn't know he had remarried. That's nice he has someone to share $48 million with.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2018 5:29 AM

The bathrooms must look awful if they refused to publish the pictures.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2018 5:33 AM

They look great. And there's a fabulous sleeping porch.

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2018 5:35 AM

that really looks like it's from another era. something Garbo might have lived in

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2018 6:04 AM

Or Gatsby?

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2018 6:05 AM

I wonder why they had to lower the price. It's gorgeous. Location is perfect if you want seclusion and ocean view. Kitchen is nice. And the woodwork on the staircase is perfect

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2018 6:10 AM

why is that some people have so much money while most of us have so little?

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2018 6:17 AM

Good heavens, it burned to the ground in 1997 and they rebuilt it exactly. That's dedication. I love it, furniture and all.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2018 6:45 AM

His wife Carrie Nye plays Norine in DL favorite [italic]The Group.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2018 7:20 AM

On a side note: how did Cavett end up set for life? His heyday ended 45 years ago, with drips and drabs afterward. Plus I doubt that at his height he was at Johnny Carson money.

I’m curious if things like his PBS or CNBC shows were all that lucrative to allow for such a wealthy lifestyle. Was all the money actually from Carrie Nye? (I’m aware it probably wasn’t).

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2018 7:33 AM

^^Never mind^^ Saw from the Variety article that he made quite a killing in real estate in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2018 7:38 AM

It could be mortgaged to the hilt.

It says that Stanford White was "flamboyant".

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2018 8:13 AM

R16 Stanford White famously was murdered by Harry K. Thaw because of his dalliance with Evelyn Nesbitt, and the resulting brouhaha was dubbed The Crime of the Century by the press (as Nesbitt was 14 at the time). Stanford was married to one Elizabeth Smith, who bore him two children. He's also a supporting character in the musical Ragtime.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2018 8:27 AM

It's a dream. Not sure how I feel about it being a replica. Old beach houses have a smell, look, and usually a perceptible sagging effect that adds a lot to a stay.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2018 12:42 PM

I know, like creaky floorboards. Still, that was a lot of custom trim that had to be milled. Incredible location.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2018 1:02 PM

I too didn't know he remarried and want to know how he can have multiple homes including this $62- now reduced to $48.5 million mansion.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2018 1:04 PM

there was a nyt profile of him last month that read like "goodbye"

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2018 1:13 PM

Dreamy! The fussy interiors need some fresh blood, but I love the place itself. I'd rip that god awful kitchen island out so fast though! Hate those.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2018 1:14 PM

Fab. U. Lous.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2018 1:22 PM

I don't hate kitchen islands, but brick floors in a kitchen would get pretty annoying.

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2018 1:26 PM

The wooden walls remind us of happy childhood summers spent at Lakeside, Michigan - where our parents golfed at the Chikaming Country Club

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2018 1:41 PM

[quote]I didn't know he had remarried. That's nice he has someone to share $48 million with./[quote]

I met the happy couple at a 2009 party at Grey Gardens, right before they were married. She gave off very mercenary and manipulative vibes. Hugging him while actually restraining him, etc. She appeared to be the Jan Chamberlain to his Mickey Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2018 1:43 PM

Brick floors in the kitchen will kill your back.

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2018 1:48 PM

All that dark wood is a strange effect in a beach house

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2018 1:57 PM

I always assumed he was gay, so I'm surprised he married so late in life. I just googled. His new wife is quite accomplished, and is a professor at Duke's business school. I would have thought he would marry someone in the arts, if anyone.

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2018 2:11 PM

I love it. That's not far from where my grandmother used to live.

Somewhat related, I love watching old interviews that he did with the old stars - Mae West, Bette Davis, and others.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2018 2:22 PM

[quote] don't hate kitchen islands, but brick floors in a kitchen would get pretty annoying.

Annoying for whom Dear? You own a $48 million dollar home, you probably have never visited the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2018 2:30 PM

Poor Carrie, all that work to rebuild an exact replica of the original house and then drops dead. Only to be enjoyed by the "other" wife.

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2018 2:35 PM

R29, she taught a course at Duke's called "How to Marry a Millionaire".

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2018 3:40 PM

Q: [quote]why they had to lower the price

A: [quote]seclusion

A 7000-sq ft vanity project maybe summer home on a windswept hill 3 1/2 hours from NYC. Limited appeal.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2018 7:48 PM

no helicopter pad?

Listen, Cavett always seemed to my young 70's self, to be a self-impressed control freak type. A snob, unimpressive intellect, and a social climber. He could be charming and he had "gets" so that was the interest. I assumed he was gay, too. This project fits that profile. Rebuilding an exact replica, and so late in life.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2018 8:19 PM

Rebuilding a replica house after the fire appears to have been Nye's idea, not his. Insurance probably paid for it all, so why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2018 8:25 PM

I can hardly afford the Brooklyn studio I live in but for kicks I often check out the zillion dollar homes in East Hampton and Montauk. Just like 10 minutes ago I was at a real estate site that had a 48 million dollar home for sale in Montauk. It had to be Cavett's. How many homes for 48 million could be for sale there at the exact same time. I had just seen a 35 million dollar one in East Hampton and I remember thinking who would want this piece of shit for 48 million when the 35 million dollar one was so much nicer, bigger and with at least double the land.

Check it out. Google "Estates for sale" in East Hampton and then in Mantauk, take the virtual tours.

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2018 8:25 PM

I think it's horrible. The furniture. The decor. The dark wood everywhere.

I would have thought he'd have more style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2018 8:33 PM

I’m not turning my nose up at it. Whatever’s wrong with the interior (nothing, in my book!) can be fixed. Can’t beat that location and view.

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2018 8:33 PM

even the lanscaping looks like it's out of some 70s creepy TV movie. DREADFUL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2018 8:35 PM

[quote]I’m not turning my nose up at it. Whatever’s wrong with the interior (nothing, in my book!) can be fixed. Can’t beat that location and view.

I thought we were meant to comment on the taste - or as in this case, the lack of it.

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2018 8:36 PM

every.single.room is hideous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2018 8:38 PM

It all looks like it was bought in one go at some decorator store in a mini mall in Shreveport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2018 8:41 PM

The swell Bonnie Dune by White, in Southhampton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2018 8:56 PM

[quote]r38 I think it's horrible. The furniture. The decor. The dark wood everywhere. I would have thought he'd have more style.

Interiors in K Hepburn's family home in Connecticut, below (which also had to be built brick by brick after a hurricane), looked almost exactly like that. It's a very East Coast old money look....like your great great grandparents inherited the place as-is, and few changes were ever made.

Painting everything white only came into vogue (I think) with Syrie Maugham and Elsie de Wolfe in the 1930s (?) The Victorian era they were reacting against used a lot of dark wood furniture and paneling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2018 9:09 PM

[quote]r42 every.single.room is hideous

Every single one of your HOLES is hideous!

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2018 9:13 PM

Can anyone tell if the furniture is the genuine article or reproduction? Also it's a little heavy on the brown wood. Less would be better.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2018 9:16 PM

I love every brick and shingle (well, maybe not the kitchen floor), but it's incredibly beautiful to me.

It's an 1890s summer cottage for the 1% of the nineteenth century folks! Don't expect mid-mod madness and wine refrigerators and 48'x44' rooms!

[quoteA 7000-sq ft vanity project maybe summer home on a windswept hill 3 1/2 hours from NYC. Limited appeal.

There is NO SUCH THING as "limited appeal in the Hamptons, all the way to Montauk. Decades ago, I think Montauk was seen as "too far" and prices were likely cheaper in comparison to East Hampton, but not today, or ever again!

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2018 9:22 PM

I hope he's not in preparations to die. That's a death that is going to truly depress me.

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2018 9:22 PM

Nice grounds but I can't say much for New England architecture.

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2018 9:26 PM

R47, it's hard to tell with those photographs, I think some of the smaller things are antique, like a tea caddy in the dining room, but the dining room chairs look modern to me in an old style. There is a painting of two sailors in the dining room, though. Sailors always add a decorative element to a home.

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2018 9:34 PM

[quote]Can’t beat that location and view.

Location? It's in Montauk the very tip of Long Island. It's not the end of the world but you can see it from there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2018 9:45 PM

[quote]Can anyone tell if the furniture is the genuine article or reproduction? Also it's a little heavy on the brown wood. Less would be better.

Any idiot can tell. It's not. It's all modern reproduction.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2018 10:02 PM

[quote]Every single one of your HOLES is hideous! —sorry - - i just felt like shrieking that, for some reason!

Yes, because you have no natural wit. You're just a cut-out queen.

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2018 10:03 PM

[quote]It's a very East Coast old money look....like your great great grandparents inherited the place as-is, and few changes were ever made.

There's not as single item that says old money or old anything,

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2018 10:04 PM

I agree R52. It's a long drive out there, and unless you can fly into the hamptons or take a helicopter, it's way out of the way. I'm certain the winters are cold and windy, so this place is good for summertime only.

Maybe some Chinese or Russian investors will buy it and leave it empty until it falls into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2018 10:05 PM

[quote]Can anyone tell if the furniture is the genuine article or reproduction? Also it's a little heavy on the brown wood. Less would be better.

Carrie said in the interview at R36 that she scoured antiques shops in Mississippi to find pieces similar to the heirlooms she lost in the fire.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2018 10:15 PM

Hopefully this new build has fire suppression systems.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2018 10:32 PM

R55 - I guess since Cavett is from old money that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2018 10:41 PM

Meh. Not great views. The water is too far away. Stuffy and too dark for a coastal home. Agree that the pool is something out of a 1970's horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2018 11:14 PM

Gorgeous but looks like Jenny Fields's house from outside. Did they shoot "Garp" there?

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2018 11:24 PM

I grew up around antiques, so I like it, overall. But idea of recreating a huge Victorian home that had burned to the ground is just bizarre to me. I love Victorian homes, and would try to respect the original architecture as much as possible, if I owned one. But I can't see resurrecting some too-big Victorian house that's been totally destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2018 1:00 AM

[quote]Gorgeous but looks like Jenny Fields's house from outside. Did they shoot "Garp" there?

Kinda close, Jenny Fields's house was on Fisher's Island, a tiny island between Long Island and Connecticut in the Long Island Sound

by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2018 1:18 AM

Should read Cavett isn't from old money.

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2018 1:50 AM

I want Ina Garten's estate with those gorgeous gardens and property as far as the eye can see. Her nearest neighbor must be at least a mile away. But first I want Ina and Jeffery's money.

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2018 2:50 AM

Is that pond swimmable or just to look at?

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2018 4:08 AM

How did he get so rich? Real estate? I always thought he was the bastard child of Merv Griffin and William F. Buckley, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2018 4:10 AM

Is the house hurricane-proof?

by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2018 4:11 AM

Ha Ha . It's still shitty Lawn Guyland.

by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2018 4:16 AM

[quote]You own a $48 million dollar home, you probably have never visited the kitchen.

Probably true, but you'd better hope Cook never drops a dish, because you'll hear it all over the house.

by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2018 4:23 AM

[quote] ^^Never mind^^ Saw from the Variety article that he made quite a killing in real estate in the last few years.

Like Alan Alda, who bought up half of Water Mill in the 1970s and 80s when it was farmland and woods.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2018 4:37 AM

[quote] But idea of recreating a huge Victorian home that had burned to the ground is just bizarre to me

It's Stanford Fucking White

by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2018 4:39 AM

[quote] I'm certain the winters are cold and windy, so this place is good for summertime only.

People drop tens of millions for houses out here and use them for eight weekends a year. The tech revolution made more people rich than at any other time in history. With oligarchs running countries now (including our own), they've been making laws legalizing financial theft for millionaires, so they get even richer. You'd be amazed at how much money is being dropped by more and more people. And none of it is "trickling down."

by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2018 4:48 AM

The poster upthread who mentioned the old beach house smell is right. That is my favorite smell in the world, recalling my parents' 14 room Victorian beach house on the south shore, MA. I went back there 40 years later and it still smelled the same! I wonder how many years it takes for a new beach house to acquire that smell. Perfume manufacturers should take note.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2018 5:10 AM

R74, I have a beach house built in 1986 and it has that smell. I believe it's some combination of salt air and hard wood.floors. I only notice it when we arrive because you get used to it over time. But I love that smell-- it signals the beginning of a relaxing weekend.

by Anonymousreply 75September 1, 2018 7:45 AM

The thing is, R75, not all old beach houses have that smell, even if they are the same age, made of the same materials and in the same area, right on the beach. I looked at a number of properties and noticed that.

by Anonymousreply 76September 1, 2018 8:10 AM

Hmm I wonder why that is. A realtor for beach houses probably knows the secret. There is some damp involved but the nice smell is not mold or mildew. Maybe its the kind of wood used in construction.

by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2018 10:04 AM

$48 million and they were only willing to spring for a cheap GE looking refrigerator? I hope that's some sort of butler's kitchen and not the main kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2018 10:28 AM

Re beach house smell - I have a feeling the smell has to do with wood expanding and contracting with heat and damp, because I have smelled it in old places far from the ocean, usually in an attic.

by Anonymousreply 79September 1, 2018 10:33 AM

[quote]Is the house hurricane-proof?

More important, is it fireproof? Was it ever revealed what caused the fire that destroyed the original?

by Anonymousreply 80September 1, 2018 12:47 PM

Looks like something an old white queen from DL would live in if they had the money.

by Anonymousreply 81September 1, 2018 12:59 PM

R80 In the article at R36 they say fire was probably started by a construction worker's blowtorch.

by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2018 2:20 PM

As opposed to wattle & daub, R81?

by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2018 3:49 PM

Actually there is one thing I would change and that's the draped swag over the dining room windows.

I don't mind well made reproduction furniture because I dont want to live in fear of accidentally scratching/chipping/denting a valuable antique.

Is this house winterized? It must be if it was rebuilt after the fire. The original would not have been.

by Anonymousreply 84September 1, 2018 4:11 PM

There are more photos at the Zillow listing. There's a basement home theatre room that is thoroughly contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 85September 1, 2018 4:46 PM

Thanks, R63. I still love that movie. Should've been Glenn's Oscar long ago.

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2018 5:13 PM

[quote] Perfume manufacturers should take note.

We tried that with "Ocean."

by Anonymousreply 87September 2, 2018 2:30 AM

[quote] Is this house winterized? It must be if it was rebuilt after the fire. The original would not have been

Do you know who Stanford White was? Of course the house was fucking winterized.

by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2018 2:46 AM

I really like it, but that kitchen floor must be a nightmare to keep clean.

by Anonymousreply 89September 4, 2018 2:54 AM

r81 - I think Ryan Seacrest would love this house

by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2018 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!