Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The guy who played Elvin on The Cosby Show.....

.....is now working a cashier at Trader Joe's!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 4, 2019 5:32 PM

Trader Joe's is one of the best jobs in retail, they treat their workers pretty good. At least he doesn't work at walmart

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2018 3:15 PM

He used to teach classes at Uta Hagen's school. Granted, Uta made them give half their salary back to the school.

I think he also went to Yale. You'd think they could use their connections to find something for him. (Meryl, find this guy a job)

His father was also a politician in the House of Representatives. Doesn't he have any connections through that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2018 3:22 PM

People who've left the spotlight should be left alone.

People like this guy and Nikki Blonsky should be allowed to live their lives without having to spend each day of their lives justifying it to random people when they take regular jobs and live normal lives.

It's different if you're Data Plato or a laundry list of other people who stay in the news for all the wrong reasons. But other folks shouldn't have to be reminded that their lives may have been better and their dreams are merely an echo of their past.

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2018 3:23 PM

[quote]It's different if you're Data Plato or a laundry list of other people who stay in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Why is Miss Plato always the go to name for fucked up child actresses. I was one too ya know? Where's the respect?

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2018 3:25 PM

Actually, it's the same for Dana Plato, but whatever R3.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2018 3:27 PM

At least he's not on crack and homeless, like so many other unemployed actors.

The guy is earning an honest living. Leave him alone.

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2018 3:29 PM

[quote]Wearing an ID badge bearing his name, the balding 57-year-old sported a stained Trader Joe’s T-shirt while manning his post.

I thought everyone at TJ's wore Hawaiian shirts.

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2018 3:29 PM

Dana Plato continued to put herself in the news by committing crimes.

Erin Moran also continued to put herself in the news by providing interviews to air her grievances.

It's one thing to do a story on the "plight" of someone who might now be homeless or in trouble. But, if person is just working and living his life, it's seems more like mockery, than anything else. I mean, noting the "stained" t-shirt just seems intended to humiliating him. He's working in a grocery store where staining from activity is likely to occur. It's not like he's Matthew Perry or some other wealthy star going out unshaven and bloated in filthy rags. People who work get dirty.

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2018 3:34 PM

Dana Plato was abused her whole life. She came from foster homes or whatever it was. The only pattern she knew was abuse. She killed herself at 34. What is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2018 3:38 PM

As others have said, just let the guy have his life. It’s cruel to mock him - he’s working.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2018 3:39 PM

this is story is ridiculous. The man is a working actor, look at his IMDB Page.. He's done television shows the last two years. Obviously, he needs the money for whatever reason. Just because you made money doesn't mean you've kept money.

His mother shouldn't have talked to the reporter.

The guy has a very respectable acting career and has had parts on Broadway and Off Broadway and on many television shows. Do you have any idea how many aspiring actors would kill for his resume?

This is hack reporting.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]Dana Plato was abused her whole life. She came from foster homes or whatever it was. The only pattern she knew was abuse. She killed herself at 34. What is your problem?

I'm no blaming her. I'm simply saying that there is a qualitative difference in reporting on someone like her whose actions continued to make her newsworthy and other people who've gone on to live quiet lives, where that normalcy is mocked.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2018 3:43 PM

I like him. He used to drink coffee and read at the café on the UWS that I like to go to in the 90s. At least he isn't on drugs or welfare. He is taking care of his business and there is dignity in that. I really hope peace and happiness.

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2018 3:47 PM

this café

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2018 3:48 PM

Asshole article. I guess he has a gap in employment or has lost his money. He has worked steadily. As noted by r11, a very nice acting career many would envy. Fuck off Radar online for trying to humiliate a man for taking care of his responsibilities.

And his mother is a bit of a drama queen butthole for talking to them

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2018 3:52 PM

The person who tipped off the reporter (his own mother for chrissakes!!) is the one who's at blame here. Of course this man should be able to do whatever the fuck he wants.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2018 3:55 PM

Radar Online is a shit publication anyway. Should have started there.

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2018 3:56 PM

He had a small part in The Affair last year.

by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2018 3:56 PM

He is an accomplished actor, something that shit stain publication Radar Online can't claim. Go pick on someone who deserves it. Disgusted by this culture sometimes

by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2018 3:58 PM

Also, with NYC being so expensive, it's easy to understand why he has a side gig working at TJ's. There is probably flexibility in the schedule which allows performers/actors who need to to audition, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2018 4:09 PM

[quote]Trader Joe's is one of the best jobs in retail, they treat their workers pretty good.

That's abundantly obvious from the fact that they employ lots of white Americans (who simply won't work somewhere if it's not an AWESOME place to work).

by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2018 4:09 PM

Maybe he likes working there.

Maybe they offer a great benefits/medical package.

Who cares. If I went through his line I'd tell him jow much I enjoyed his work.

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2018 6:55 PM

[quote]Trader Joe's is one of the best jobs in retail, they treat their workers pretty good.

Their cashiers are the worst.

Cashier: Oh, I love these cookies. They go great with chai tea.

Me: STFU and give me my change. I want to go home.

One of these days when a cashier starts that, I'm going to hand the product to them and say, "On your recommendation, I don't want this now."

by Anonymousreply 23August 30, 2018 6:58 PM

Trader Joe's cashiers are like Chick-Fil-A cashiers.

"It's my pleasure."

"Honey, I know pleasure, and that's not it."

by Anonymousreply 24August 30, 2018 7:01 PM

Don't be a snide shit, R23. Cashiers are just trying to get through their day same as you.

by Anonymousreply 25August 30, 2018 7:03 PM

Maybe he owns the place.

by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2018 7:05 PM

Someone should cast him and Jordan Peele as father and son

by Anonymousreply 27August 30, 2018 7:09 PM

[QUOTE]When Radar called Owen and asked about Trader Joe’s, he slammed down the phone

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 28August 30, 2018 7:12 PM

He could be researching / prepping for a role.

by Anonymousreply 29August 30, 2018 7:38 PM

He gained weight.

by Anonymousreply 30August 30, 2018 7:51 PM

30 years later, I did too.

by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2018 7:57 PM

Hunt down Karma Lawrence...it’s her fault that he was exposed.

by Anonymousreply 32August 30, 2018 7:57 PM

In addition to other valid points in this thread, I also have to wonder why people seem to believe actors deserve everlasting fame. Many people have had to take les prestigious jobs in order to survive. Why should it be different for someone just because he had a fairly high profile supporting role thirty years ago?

by Anonymousreply 33August 30, 2018 8:03 PM

Also, be grateful he doesn't have to write poems for pharmaceutical companies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 30, 2018 9:03 PM

he's great in its always sunny.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2018 12:16 AM

I'll trade lives with him.

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2018 4:14 AM

This article talks about how the pay scale for guest television actors has crashed in recent years. With the 5 million original series being produced right now, costs are shaved where possible, and guest actors have taken the brunt of it. So even though Owens has been working, it's quite likely he doesn't earn very much. This article cites $900 for a day's work in some cases, which is likely around what he made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2018 5:33 AM

With the exception of Rashad who still does theater and the occasional film, none of the Cosby kids never really broke through into mainstream success (even though his character was his son in law). It sucks having to deal with the public on any level. So I respect him and lot of retail and food workers for this. At least he still works as an actor. Probably just trying to make ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2018 5:46 AM

It happens to the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2018 8:12 AM

BEST SCENE EVER, R39. May you be rewarded for that.

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2018 8:52 AM

[quote] People like this guy and Nikki Blonsky

What's Blonsky doing these days?

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2018 8:58 AM

What is Cockroach doing?

by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2018 10:11 AM

Elvin? I always thought his name was Alvin.

by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2018 10:22 AM

Better than what Pill Cosby ended up to be.

I don't blame the guy, he's working, making money, not taking drugs and being a stupid attention whore like lots of actors these days.

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2018 10:22 AM

It's difficult for most actors to live on just their acting roles. Even successful ones can't always sustain the same level of income throughout their career. There is always ebb and flow. Some take behind the camera jobs, others take jobs outside the entertainment business. He probably work at the store either part time or between gigs. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2018 10:38 AM

He was supremely cute on the show.

Irresistible smile.

The article is mean spirited - in a strange way too mean for Datalounge.

I agree that when people leave the spotlight, they deserve to live as citizens at whatever level of privacy they choose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2018 12:12 PM

The man works for a living, nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2018 1:03 PM

Yeah, this article made me feel yucky. The thought of people whispering and giggling at someone like that. It just seems cruel.

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2018 1:14 PM

Those who giggle are probably drug addicts themselves, so. Let them giggle until they stumble into the sewer.

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2018 1:15 PM

He better bring the woman in his life some coffee!

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2018 2:06 PM

r38 Malcolm-Jamal Warner works all the time. He's been on many TV series as a regular or a recurring character.

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2018 4:53 PM

Most important question: does he get a discount at Trader Joe's?

And has NO ONE speculated on whether or not he's gay? What has happened to my Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2018 4:54 PM

The only person who should be humiliated is the asshole who thought this was "investigative journalism." What a disgrace this loser must be to think we should essentially look down on a man for having a "regular" job, just because he was once a TV show.

To the asshole who wrote it, no Pulitzer is ever coming your way.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2018 4:59 PM

once ON a TV show*

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2018 4:59 PM

[quote]he's great in its always sunny.

The crackwhore was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2018 5:01 PM

This man is not very business savvy. Reality tv was designed for washed up sitcom stars.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2018 5:13 PM

I'm not sure why a medical secretary couldn't leave the guy alone and just go about her business. He just doing his job and living his life. Meanwhile, Ms. Newark NJ found it all necessary to get up in his business.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2018 5:25 PM

An ugly, unnecessary, mean-spirited article. Why on earth mock and humiliate this man? What did he do to deserve such embarrassment?

And I'm guessing he makes more working at Trader Joe's than the asshole reporter who wrote this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2018 5:31 PM

Unforgivable article. But what the hell happened to the man’s looks? He used to be adorable and now there’s not even a trace of his younger, sexy self. It’s weird.

by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2018 3:33 AM

R59 it’s called being in your 50s, genius.

by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2018 3:36 AM

Hey...it's happens. I was a very successful child actor, but hit a dry period in my 20s and spent most of my childhood earnings...I still act when I can on television, theater and film....but also work part time at Sears to have a steady income. Not all actors on a hit show are set for life....

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2018 4:49 AM

R3 Nikki Blonsky is still desperately clinging to whatever scraps of fame she can get.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2018 4:56 AM

WOW. Awkward

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2018 4:57 AM

Nikki Blonsky...Nikki Blonsky...Nikki Blonsky...What a beautiful, beautiful name.....

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2018 5:01 AM

Is it THAT surprising? Not everyone who lands an acting good, even a good one, is destined for stardom and riches. I remember him showing up in an episode of It's Always Sunny a few years ago, but don't remember him doing anything consistently outside of Cosby. And, maybe it's been said, but I respect that he's doing what he needs to do; not being entitled, acting like he can't be a cashier because he'd be too embarassed. Elvin can't be the first actor to go on to a "plain" job/career.

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2018 5:10 AM

Oh, and her looks like an adorable adult Ewok.

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2018 5:13 AM

Jesus Christ. I'm down a Nikki clickhole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2018 5:18 AM

There's a whole separate thread on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2018 5:21 AM

Nikki does this Cameo service that lame people buy for $20 (Dina Lohan charges $75). Elvin could do something like that, people idolize celebs in America, even the has-beens or Dina Lohans. Though I think working at Trader Joes is more respectable and has better benefits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2018 5:27 AM

Nikki Blonsky has been a Reddit meme staple for a good couple of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2018 5:29 AM

Even the comments section at the link is ripping radar. And I love that they refer to it as "exclusive" like it was a real get worthy of Woodward and Bernstein.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2018 5:34 AM

And the OP in that "whole separate thread" apologized when he realized he'd created a duplicate, r68, so sit the hell down.

by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2018 5:56 AM

Good for him. Work is work. Money is money, and we all need and want money.

And let's remember Cosby cost ALL of the cast to lose out on residuals because of his criminal behavior.

by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2018 6:05 AM

[quote]The person who tipped off the reporter (his own mother for chrissakes!!) is the one who's at blame here. Of course this man should be able to do whatever the fuck he wants.

I doubt his elderly mother tipped off the dumb reporter. She was just duped by this vulture reporter.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2018 7:09 AM

R73 Good point. The regular incoming funds from the Cosby Show residuals have probably diminished considerably, so the actors that relied on the money to supplement their income no longer have that.

by Anonymousreply 75September 1, 2018 11:46 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 1, 2018 12:05 PM

It's a job.

by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2018 12:10 PM

He's working. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2018 1:05 PM

This is so fucked up to make fun of him like this.

by Anonymousreply 79September 1, 2018 1:08 PM

Justin Bateman calls the person who did this "TRASH" tweeting

So, 26 years after one TV job, this guy looks differently (shock) and is earning an honest living at a Trader Joe’s. The people taking his picture and passing judgment are trash.

I’ll also add that GeoffreyOwens is one of the VERY few people on the planet who has acted on a hit TV show. That is something I’m certain that Karma Lawrence has never, and will never do. #Respect

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 1, 2018 4:48 PM

The loss of residuals has to hurt. He has at least one credit a year since the Cosby show. So he's tried to act and is still an actor, but obviously he needs to supplement his income, even more so now. So he teaches theater, works at TJs, and whatever else. It's the life that most people lead - doing what you gotta do to pay the bills. Far from shameful.

by Anonymousreply 81September 1, 2018 4:52 PM

Casting director Jen Euston tweets

This really pisses me off. I’m a fan of Geoffrey’s & when he’s right for something I always bring him in to read. He’s talented & I think age looks great on him! Check out his IMDB page. He’s a working actor in NY. But guess what? Actors can’t make living wages like that anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2018 4:59 PM

Former "Little House" actress, now business anchor Melissa Francis tweets

As a former series regular who also worked for minimum wage AFTER Hollywood I respect the hell out of Owens - every paycheck has dignity no matter the size

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2018 5:04 PM

Is TJ minimum wage? I know it doesn't pay a ton, but is it technically more than minimum? Though, NYC area might have a higher minimum.

by Anonymousreply 84September 1, 2018 5:06 PM

Honest work - good for him. The journalist is the pathetic one. I always thought Geoffrey was cute, I’d still let him nail me.

by Anonymousreply 85September 1, 2018 5:12 PM

I bet this will get him a few more acting jobs.

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2018 5:56 PM

I guess it's true what they say.

Karma is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2018 6:17 PM

[quote]Justin Bateman

Has she transitioned?

by Anonymousreply 88September 1, 2018 6:24 PM

I’d still suck his dick.

by Anonymousreply 89September 1, 2018 6:36 PM

Justine Bateman followed up with this:

Justine Bateman @JustineBateman

A special note for the few who are critical of this post, who insist that “we’re making it worse by spreading the story,” Geoffrey Owens contacted me directly to express his gratitude for the post and for all the positive responses.

by Anonymousreply 90September 2, 2018 9:06 PM

[quote] I’d still suck his dick.

I bet it's a nice thick one

by Anonymousreply 91September 2, 2018 9:08 PM

If not for bro Jason supporting her, Justine would be a 3rd shift stocker at Big Lots.

by Anonymousreply 92September 2, 2018 9:29 PM

Americans are the worst. If you’re on welfare you’re trash. If you’re working a minimum wage job you’re trash. If you’re a black president you’re trash. Basically Americans hate the poor (and black people). We get it.

by Anonymousreply 93September 2, 2018 9:36 PM

R93, thank you for visiting, President of Munchkinland. We admit we err regularly, but not much more so than everyone else on Planet Earth. Send our regards to Glinda the Good and one day we'll tell you how she got that name.

by Anonymousreply 94September 2, 2018 9:48 PM

[quote]Is TJ minimum wage? I know it doesn't pay a ton, but is it technically more than minimum? Though, NYC area might have a higher minimum.

It's more than minimum wage. The store he's working at is in New Jersey. He's probably living there because it's cheaper than NYC and he can commute in for auditions or acting gigs.

by Anonymousreply 95September 2, 2018 9:56 PM

Trader Joe's is a great job if you want flexible part-time work. It's well above minimum wage and they have fantastic health insurance and benefits, which you're eligible for at a low hourly threshold.

It's a shitty article, but Geoffrey is going to have the last laugh — he'll get a ton of acting offers from this.

by Anonymousreply 96September 2, 2018 9:59 PM

He should play Cosby in the inevitable biopic. I see a little gold statue in his future!

by Anonymousreply 97September 2, 2018 10:12 PM

R93 you mean that same Black president that AMERICANS voted for TWICE?

Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself

by Anonymousreply 98September 2, 2018 10:21 PM

I agree with others, leave him alone. Many former actors take ordinary jobs, there'd nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 99September 2, 2018 10:29 PM

Interesting the show was such a massive hit and not one of the younger actors could break out into stardom. Bonet tried but failed. Malcolm still eeks out a living as an actor. Too lazy to imdb the other ones. Yet it’s not unheard of for actors to be pretty typecast after a hit show. In fact probably happens more often than not.

by Anonymousreply 100September 2, 2018 10:40 PM

Raven Symone sort of broke out. It was only one show, but it was big and it was something totally separate from the Cosby show.

by Anonymousreply 101September 2, 2018 10:50 PM

That’s So Raven was actually quite big during its Run, r101.

Maybe not all the Cosby kids wanted to stay in the business.

I think we mentally lock people into place, especially when they are young actors, far too often. It’s a hyper-competitive, often ugly business to be in. Why should we question when someone moves in another direction? Or if someone needs to supplement irregular income with a regular job, especially one offering health insurance?

by Anonymousreply 102September 2, 2018 11:50 PM

Don't forget my talk show!

by Anonymousreply 103September 3, 2018 12:50 AM

[quote]I thought everyone at TJ's wore Hawaiian shirts.

That was 20 years ago. Most TJs switched to tshirts in 1988, then eventually ditched uniform tops altogether.

by Anonymousreply 104September 3, 2018 1:00 AM

R93 fuck the idiots on here. I understood completely what you were saying and agreed.

by Anonymousreply 105September 3, 2018 1:50 AM

R98, you idiot, this so-called news about Owens is aimed at the same deplorables who think Obama is trashy.

by Anonymousreply 106September 3, 2018 1:56 AM

I was sad to see him get this kind of attention.

I may have to go back to retail myself, after almost 20 years in the corporate world, because I just cannot find a job. And it makes me very sad, but I feel a bit more pride that all work is good work and deserves respect.

by Anonymousreply 107September 3, 2018 1:59 AM

It was some lesbian that took that photo.

by Anonymousreply 108September 3, 2018 2:28 AM

Does Trader Joe's offer health insurance?

by Anonymousreply 109September 3, 2018 2:41 AM

R109 Apparently yes

by Anonymousreply 110September 3, 2018 2:44 AM

He was the one married to Shia Leboeuf on the show? Not Lisa Bonet, right?

by Anonymousreply 111September 3, 2018 2:49 AM

“I may have to go back to retail myself, after almost 20 years in the corporate world, because I just cannot find a job. And it makes me very sad, but I feel a bit more pride that all work is good work and deserves respect.”

Don’t feel bad, you weren’t a better person when you were in the corporate world than you are now.

by Anonymousreply 112September 3, 2018 3:32 AM

That's the big draw of Trader Joe's as a part-time job — they have always let you get on the company health insurance at a part-time level.

by Anonymousreply 113September 3, 2018 3:37 AM

Karma’s a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 114September 3, 2018 5:04 AM

Karma being Karma Lawrence, I hasten to add, the hag who snapped Geoffrey’s photo and sold it to the Daily Mail with the words,

“I would have thought after The Cosby Show he would maybe be doing something different. It was a shock to see him working there and looking the way he did. It made me feel really bad. I was like, ‘Wow, all those years of doing the show and you ended up as a cashier.’”

by Anonymousreply 115September 3, 2018 5:13 AM

What about his tits, R76? What would you do with them?

by Anonymousreply 116September 3, 2018 8:21 PM

I don't think there is anything remotely shameful about working at Trader Joe's. When I retire and move out to the boonies, I'll never be able to find a part time gig in my field. There's a good chance I'll end up doing something like Mr. Owens. I won't be old enough to collect Soc.Sec. so a part-time job with health insurance doesn't sound so bad at all to me.

by Anonymousreply 117September 3, 2018 8:36 PM

Who gives a fuck where he works....is he gay and available? Woof!

by Anonymousreply 118September 3, 2018 9:03 PM

OP, so what's your point, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 119September 3, 2018 9:20 PM

Karma Lawrence is a fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 120September 3, 2018 10:04 PM

What happened to his and Sondra's wilderness store?

by Anonymousreply 121September 3, 2018 10:51 PM

[quote]“I would have thought after The Cosby Show he would maybe be doing something different. It was a shock to see him working there and looking the way he did. It made me feel really bad. I was like, ‘Wow, all those years of doing the show and you ended up as a cashier.’”

She's despicable.

by Anonymousreply 122September 3, 2018 10:53 PM

One doesn't "work a cashier." One works as a cashier at a cash register.

by Anonymousreply 123September 3, 2018 11:03 PM

[quote]What is Cockroach doing?

Funny you ask as there were reports he was working as a car salesman a few years after "Martin" went off the air.

by Anonymousreply 124September 3, 2018 11:14 PM

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Are you all insane???

He’s a man, working at a job and getting paid for it, like most Americans. Listen, assholes, I’ve met people who have graduated from Ivy Leagues, who have driven taxis and limos for a living. Another one I knew worked as a carpenter.

You guys are jerks. A job is a job, and he has nothing to be ashamed of.

by Anonymousreply 125September 3, 2018 11:28 PM

R125, have you actually read the thread?

Most people are going after the assholes who wrote the article.

by Anonymousreply 126September 3, 2018 11:31 PM

This is worse than when Sondra would Pwhip him in most every episode.

by Anonymousreply 127September 3, 2018 11:57 PM

R125 Clearly you spent one second looking at this thread before you shat out nonsense.

Most of us are defending him. Read the thread....you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 128September 4, 2018 12:02 AM

I don't know why Karma thinks that it's so bad to be a cashier. Some people probably don't want to sit on their ass all day long. And also, if you're a "people person", you might thrive in an environment where you make small talk with different people all day long. When you leave your job at the end of the day, you don't stress about deadlines over the weekend. And you get a discount on your groceries.

Also, I think he looks great. If he lost some weight, then, damn....

by Anonymousreply 129September 4, 2018 3:02 AM

He's a daddy bear!

by Anonymousreply 130September 4, 2018 3:41 AM

The New Yorker weighs in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 4, 2018 6:22 AM

And so has Sag-Aftra. These are great tweets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 4, 2018 6:25 AM

He was doing... ummm... research.

by Anonymousreply 133September 4, 2018 6:51 AM

So? At least he's working. There's dignity in all work, provided it's done correctly.

by Anonymousreply 134September 4, 2018 6:53 AM

Wow, for what accounts this almost unanimous, gracious defense of a humble working actor? Not that he’s not deserving, but this is DL, where we’re regularly asking the burn victim why she was stupid enough to sleep in a house on fire. R125 assumed that this thread woyld be mean for a reason.

I don’t think the fascination is entirely malicious, even if the article’s tone was nasty. We hold celebrities in such high esteem that witnessing them doing everyday activities is mind boggling. Layer onto that our assumption that celebrities are rich, and you have an object of fascination without any necessary schadenfreude.

by Anonymousreply 135September 4, 2018 7:21 AM

I think that running this article via the Daily Fail and Fucks News implied that a black man who was once successful, wasn’t able to manage his money wisely, thus, he’s working as a cashier @ TJ’s.

I can name two well known actors right now, that I personally know, who are doing something other than solely acting, in order to make money. Interestingly enough, neither of them are black men. Wonder why they haven’t received any attention for their off screen work???

by Anonymousreply 136September 4, 2018 4:58 PM

I'm changing my name to Data Plato

by Anonymousreply 137September 4, 2018 5:08 PM

[R136] We all family here tell us of these two actors. You don't have say their name, but give us a hint. Thanks love

by Anonymousreply 138September 4, 2018 5:31 PM

Tyler Perry is offering him a job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 4, 2018 11:57 PM

His smile is infectious.

by Anonymousreply 140September 5, 2018 2:00 AM

Karma is also a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 5, 2018 2:05 AM

The only laugh at loud moment of The Cosby Show is the scene where Elvin impersonates Cosby's voice while lecturing the girls (Vanessa and Rudy).

by Anonymousreply 142September 5, 2018 2:07 AM

It was a female customer, who took his photo. Elvin was the check out of her groceries.

by Anonymousreply 143September 5, 2018 3:13 AM

Already mentioned ^^. Karma, being her first name, is coming right back at her.

by Anonymousreply 144September 5, 2018 3:15 AM

Geoffrey, not Elvin.. R143.

by Anonymousreply 145September 5, 2018 3:18 AM

In her selfish, cowardly way she did him a YUGE favor by exploiting him.

by Anonymousreply 146September 5, 2018 3:31 AM

All these posts and nobody asked who R61 is? Who are you? Any hints? Better yet, any gossip?

by Anonymousreply 147September 5, 2018 3:49 AM

Interestingly, he graduated from Yale with honors and is the son of a former United States Congressman. Fascinating dude.

by Anonymousreply 148September 5, 2018 4:18 AM

I love how Karma is trying to backpedal, as if taking the pic was the only thing she did that was wrong. Her comments were in poor taste too.

by Anonymousreply 149September 5, 2018 4:20 AM

I am thinking the actor is the cutie from Who's The Boss?

by Anonymousreply 150September 5, 2018 4:50 AM

"Interestingly, he graduated from Yale with honors and is the son of a former United States Congressman."

He was completely estranged from his father. Don't know the whole story, but Geoffrey and two brothers were from his fathers first marriage, then Dad got remarried and had two more kids. Maybe he wasn't that involved in their lives. Though, he was married to the first wife for 25 years, so who knows the reason.

by Anonymousreply 151September 5, 2018 5:40 AM

Geoffrey had been working there for 15 months and said he got recognised every day. So every day for over a year someone said “Hi! Weren’t you Ervin? Take care man” and one bitch sells him out to the tabloids.

One bitch in 15 months.

by Anonymousreply 152September 5, 2018 5:57 AM

I saw his interview with Robin Roberts and he didn't seem particularly traumatized about being "outed." He just said, "you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills." He also explained that acting isn't always a road to riches, and thanked everyone for their support. Finally, he said that while he'd gladly take auditions because of this exposure, he doesn't want to just be given roles because of this. He was very classy.

by Anonymousreply 153September 5, 2018 6:04 AM

It was an excellent interview- what a well spoken guy. Not surprising I guess, Yale grad, actor and acting professor.

by Anonymousreply 154September 5, 2018 6:07 AM

He was on CNN tonight and seems like a nice guy. He did say people forget the Cosby show was 26 years ago, and he does theater-but everyone knows it doesn't pay well.

I'm blanking on the actress's name that was in Sideways, but she said she was in foreclosure right before she got that part.

by Anonymousreply 155September 5, 2018 6:08 AM

Virginia Madsen Sandra Oh?

Those are the two female leads from Sideways. Giamatti's ex-wife and Thomas Hayden-Church's fiancee are more minor roles.

by Anonymousreply 156September 5, 2018 6:11 AM

Link to the GMA INTERVIEW. He’d been working at TJs for 15 months before the story broke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 5, 2018 6:15 AM

Virginia Madsen.

by Anonymousreply 158September 5, 2018 12:51 PM

This would make a great movie plot ala In and Out without the gay angle.

by Anonymousreply 159September 5, 2018 1:46 PM

[quote] but this is DL, where we’re regularly asking the burn victim why she was stupid enough to sleep in a house on fire.

OMG I want this on a t-shirt. Perfectly said.

by Anonymousreply 160September 5, 2018 2:12 PM

They are worse than Claire in shaming this fine man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 5, 2018 2:47 PM

Karma is a lesbian. Her kind hates men and is always looking for new ways to humiliate those born with the penis blessing.

by Anonymousreply 162September 5, 2018 4:22 PM

Karma is a medical secretary and I think her job is in jeopardy. She's in charge of a lot of confidential information and she clearly can't keep her big mouth shut. I wouldn't want her looking over my files.

by Anonymousreply 163September 5, 2018 4:45 PM

The Fail really took it on the chin with the article. They closed the comments section which was blasting them.

by Anonymousreply 164September 5, 2018 4:48 PM

Nicki Minaj Explains Why She's Giving Geoffrey Owens $25,000

Nicki Minaj is all about giving back.

On Wednesday, the "MotorSport" rapper revealed on her Beats 1 Queen Radio show that she is donating $25,000 to former Cosby Show actor Geoffrey Owens after he was shamed for working at Trader Joe's. ET caught up with Minaj at the Daily Front Row Fashion Awards in NYC, where she explained why she wanted to help out the actor.

"Some people are on the internet and seeking attention, and he’s just the antithesis of that. So I felt like, 'Oh my God, could you imagine?'" she told ET during the event's red carpet. "We all have done jobs like that and I just thought, what if that were me? Or a family member and they were minding their own business, working to feed their family and somebody tried to humiliate them? I don’t like the way that feels."

Minaj, meanwhile, confirmed to ET that she was going to reach out to Owens, who is best known for playing Sondra Huxtable's doctor husband, Elvin Tibideaux, on The Cosby Show. "Tell him that I’m going to have my team contact him because I hope he doesn’t take it the wrong way," she said. "I just want to help him in any way I can."

During her radio show, the rapper was upset someone would take a photo of the actor while he was "bagging groceries to feed his family."

"That man is now getting so many opportunities," Minaj expressed. "I personally want to donate on behalf of Queen Radio $25,000 to Geoffrey Owens. You know why? Imma tell you something. This man is a whole f**king legend in these streets."

Owens made headlines this week after a woman snapped photos of him while he was working at the grocery store. The pictures were later published by multiple outlets. The 57-year-old actor then appeared on Good Morning America to talk about the attention he had received after being shamed for having a job at Trader Joe's. Owens, however, also received a slew of positive and supportive messages from fans and fellow actors.

Tyler Perry even tweeted that he was offering Owens a role on one of his OWN shows. ET sat down with Owens this week, where the actor expressed his gratitude and thanked Perry for the offer.

"That was kind of cool. I mean, that kind of sounded like he was saying, 'Come work with me.' I'm so, like, skeptical. Like, really?" Owens told ET. "Are you actually saying come work with me? Because we've never worked together before. So, that's a very, very generous thing for him to say. And we'll see what happens with that. But, that's encouraging."

Owens has actually stopped working at Trader Joe's for now but is thankful for the outpouring love and support.

"When I quit, the guys at the store said, you know, 'Don't quit, let's keep it open, let's have it like an indefinite leave of absence,'" he shared. "OK, that's cool, that's great, but basically I left at that point because I felt like, just for my personal sake, my dignity and my emotional wellbeing, I didn't want to be in the store while I felt like people might be staking out the place as they did, actually. People came to the store and they were staking it out and stuff. I didn't feel like that was going to be good for my spiritual being, so I felt like I needed to at least temporarily step out, and I think that was the wise thing to do, actually."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 7, 2018 6:08 AM

Tyler Perry is just giving him a job because he wants to sip on some Geoffrey Owens’ ding.

by Anonymousreply 166September 8, 2018 8:10 PM

R164, I wondered how the Fail responded to the boomerang. Won't stop them but good. I like how this story turned out and I hope every asshole along the supply chain learned something.... from the people who took the freak show pictures and sold them onward to the lets sell souls in editorial at the Fail. The best we can hope for these days is that normal people reinterpret their intentions and show them up for what they are, which mostly happened, and that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 167September 8, 2018 8:15 PM

I think Owens said the most thoughtful and articulate thing. In spite of the fact that the Fail tried inspire the worst in people, and ironically, it inspired the best in them.

by Anonymousreply 168September 8, 2018 11:36 PM

I'm astonished, considering what high art The Cosby Show was, brimming with superior talent..

by Anonymousreply 169September 8, 2018 11:39 PM

Thanks for the link r157. Great interview.

by Anonymousreply 170September 10, 2018 5:04 AM

Geoffrey Owens appeared on NCIS New Orleans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 31, 2018 10:07 PM

He did mention in an interview that residuals had dried up because of the Cosby indictment.

Also, the $25k that Niki minaj gave him, he donated to charity.

He is a class act.

by Anonymousreply 172November 1, 2018 12:42 AM

I hope he does porn. I wanna look at that thick hairy dong.

by Anonymousreply 173November 2, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]Tyler Perry is just giving him a job because he wants to sip on some Geoffrey Owens’ ding.

I think Tyler likes his studs to be young and hot. I'm judging this by the men he cast in his films. They are beyond goodlooking.

by Anonymousreply 174November 2, 2018 6:27 AM

Geoffrey has a nice round brown belly. I wonder if it is lightly downed with soft black hair?

by Anonymousreply 175November 2, 2018 8:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 4, 2019 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!