Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ohio school asks kids to rank people based on race, sexual orientation, ability, faith

A gay guy, a clergyman, and an accountant walk into a spaceship....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2018 6:58 PM

There's quite a few deranged people working in schools!

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2018 1:45 AM

They did not provide enough information to make a cogent decision. What else are they good at? They don't specify the sex of all the members. You must consider how you will survive once you land. You will need more females to repopulate and one man can get several people pregnant. How about hobbies? You will need a botanist and a scientist and many other skills that are not among the twelve listed.

My first question is who picked these twelve in the first place? Few of the required skills to establish a colony exist amongst these people.

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2018 1:52 AM

I'd bring the "homosexual male who is a professional athlete" on board first, then lock the doors and lift-off.

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2018 1:55 AM

It's a lesson on stereotyping and examining personal attitudes in order to discuss why the student feels that way. It's perfectly fine if treated correctly.

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2018 1:57 AM

Daily Kos is reporting this?? So even they're getting sick of SJWs?

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2018 1:59 AM

An accountant with a substance abuse problem

A militant African-American medical student

A 33-year-old female Native American manager who does not speak English

The accountant's pregnant wife

A famous novelist with a physical disability

A 21-year-old female who is a Muslim international student

A Hispanic clergyman who is against homosexuality

A female movie star who was recently the victim of a sexual assault

A racist, armed police officer who has been accused of using excessive force

A homosexual male who is a professional athlete

An Asian, orphaned 12-year-old boy

A 60-year-old Jewish university administrator

Well, it's DL, so....get to ranking.

I'm leaving the accountant, the cop, the clergy, and the disabled novelist. In the brave new world, the accountant is useless and his drug problem will create problems for everyone else's survival (as well as lower his probability of survival). The clergy is useless. The disabled novelist would be a burden to the group's survival. And the administrator is old enough that they would have limited productive years and no useful skills. Now, if he were a doctor, I'd reconsider.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2018 2:57 AM

And this was for a math class? Good God!

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2018 3:35 AM

When all is said and done, the new world needs two kinds of people - men with useful skills, and women with working wombs.

That means keep all the women and get rid of any of the males you want, except the gay man (physically fit sports star) and the medical student (future doctor).

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2018 3:46 AM

I did this same kind of thing in a religion class when I was in a Catholic high school in the 1970's. The only difference was some of the characters. I remember that there was a Mexican gardener, a young white female heroin addict, a 6 year old girl, an elderly white female doctor who needed glasses, a black agricultural expert who hated white people, a pregnant woman, and a young gay doctor. I don't remember the rest. Our teacher got mad at some of the guys in the class making crude remarks about locking the gay doctor up at night, or not taking him in place of the old female doctor. Nothing new here!

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2018 4:21 AM

My sociology 101 teacher had us do a similar exercise in college.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2018 4:27 AM

As an Ohioan, I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2018 4:29 AM

r3 but.... what if

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2018 4:37 AM

I like the cut of your jib, r3 dear boy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2018 5:03 AM

"homosexual male who is a professional athlete".

The kids would pick me.

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2018 5:06 AM

At least the headline reads "WhoM to Leave Behind."

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2018 8:10 AM

R11, why be sorry? The assignment was perfectly fine. She was cleared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2018 1:43 AM

Cleared or not, it's not an appropriate assignment for a grade school math class.

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2018 1:48 AM

I'd rank highest whoever could safely operate the spacecraft. Without a safe landing the rest of the discussion becomes moot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2018 1:55 AM

[Quote A 33-year-old female Native American manager who does not speak English]

Which Native Americans, let alone those who are managers, don’t speak English?

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2018 1:56 AM

Any person who thinks these 12 people are the only ones to pick from for the continuation of the human race should be taken out and shot and then you start over with a better selection.

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2018 1:59 AM

My thoughts exactly, R19. Native Americans primarily speak English. Has this teacher ever met Americans who are not exactly like him?

by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2018 2:03 AM

Middle school, R17. Perfect time to be attacking the ideas of stereotypes and values Bullying is most prevalent in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2018 1:01 PM

R8 is correct. When founding a new world from a small population, what's needed are skills that are useful in a primitive environment, and fertility. So the only male on that list who sounds at all useful is the AA medical student, bring him, the fertile women, and use the rest of the space on the ship for seeds and other vital supplies.

If such a ship was ever required, it ought to be filled with female farmers, doctors, and mechanics, and a pilot, and two or three fertile men with useful skills.

by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2018 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!