Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

roundabouts

I recently found this out about roundabouts. Here in the states we yield to the vehicles in the roundabout. In England, the vehicles in the roundabout yield to the incoming cars. The theory - as explained to me - is that cars in the roundabout are going slower than the ones entering the roundabout and therefore can yield easier.

They also said Ireland is the same as the US, entering vehicles yield. You just have to remember to go clockwise not counterclockwise.

Personally, I think the US/Irish way is better.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2018 4:42 AM

But in Ireland aren’t they’re called Roondaboots?

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2018 5:27 PM

The American way is prominent here on the continent as well. I definitely prefer it as you need to pay attention to so many other things while you're in the roundabout, it doesn't make sense to have to keep your eyes on the entry points as well. Why is slowing down while approaching a roundabout such a problem? No one enters it full-speed, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2018 5:35 PM

I'm not sure that's true about the UK.

The rule in the UK is that you yield to the right which would mean cars already in a roundabout have right of way.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2018 5:47 PM

That isn't true in the UK, the rule is to always give way to traffic already on the roundabout. However, it is true in some other European countries.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2018 5:53 PM

highwaycodeuk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2018 5:54 PM

I was just in Iceland and the rule is the traffic already in the roundabout already has the right of way. In a two lane circle, though, the traffic in the inside loop has the right of way if exiting the roundabout. I was worried about driving in these, but it turned out to be fine since I never experienced really heavy traffic while there.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2018 6:01 PM

Your information is wrong OP. In England we yield to vehicles already on the roundabout, giving way to the right. So if I am approaching a roundabout and a vehicle is coming round the roundabout I give way and only join when the roundabout is clear.

Some larger roundabouts are controlled by traffic lights. On these we give way either whilst on the roundabout or when joining the roundabout, depending on what the lights are telling you. But that's only the larger ones.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2018 6:05 PM

In America it’s a free-for-all. They just put one in my town after debating for years and people have no friggin’ idea what to do. They put a sign stating yield to traffic in roundabout - but people will just drive right through as if it’s not there. Americans are not good at the courteous thing in the Northeast - or at adapting to new ideas.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2018 10:15 PM

Clockwise? Counterclockwise? left side driving? I'd be dead within a week.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2018 10:23 PM

OH my god! R5, did I say week? I'd be dead within a day.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2018 10:25 PM

Exactly - the roundabouts in Ireland terrified me. And of course, driving out of Dublin airport after a red eye flight - and you are met by about 6 of them in a mile. Belfast was so much easier but no more direct flights. Generally driving is the worst thing about Ireland - but the only way to see the beauty. But they love their roundabouts in EVERY....single....intersection.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2018 10:28 PM

They're really not scary, just imagine how you'd drive if you arrived at a junction that had no lights or markings. That's all it is.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2018 10:30 PM

No they aren’t R1. Your rendition appears to be a hilarious allusion to a Scottish accent.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2018 10:35 PM

They do everything weirdly over there and they don't wash their dishes either.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2018 12:35 AM

Not true OP in Ireland we yield to traffic on the roundabout and to traffic coming from our right.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2018 12:40 AM

Are roundabouts common in US ?

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2018 12:43 AM

OP I dont know who told you that but they're trying to kill you next time you drive in the UK or Ireland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2018 12:43 AM

The most dangerous roundabouts in the world are in France. They were only 'imported' there a decade ago. The theory seems to be if the car in front of you managed to get on the roundabout then you have priority too. Which you don't.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2018 12:45 AM

Over the past decade or so, they put a bunch of them in suburban Albany, NY. Every time I go to visit my family, I hear stories of accidents and older family members who now refuse to drive anywhere near one.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2018 12:47 AM

They are just popping up in the US. The one near me was a perfect fix for a bad interesection - but people have no idea what to do. They are more popular in Massachusetts /New England I think.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote]The most dangerous roundabouts in the world are in France. They were only 'imported' there a decade ago.

Isn't the Arc de Triumph at a roundabout? It's been set up that way for many, many decades. Maybe since the very beginning when it was built back in the mid 1800s.

Doesn't sound like the concept of a roundabout is new to the French, just not widely used until recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2018 1:31 AM

r18, you're an idiot (that means idiot in French). Tu ne sais absolument pas de quoi tu parles.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2018 2:25 AM

I first experienced roundabouts in New England 20 years ago. They are efficient and useful if people know what to do in them. About 10 years ago, they began popping up in the South with some regularity and it has been causing some Fury Road-style foolishness. It is astonishing how upset some people get when you almost collide due to THEIR ineptitude! The fuck is wrong with people??

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2018 3:08 AM

R23 Les Francais conduisent comme des connards.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2018 4:30 AM

[R24], I spent very little time in France, so I will take your word for it. I do remember the roundabout surrounding the Arc de Triomphe as being barely controlled chaos, but they were still more civilized than any regular freeway I’ve driven in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2018 4:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!