Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hot weather meals

It's so hot! What's good that doesn't require turning on a stove?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2018 4:04 PM

Salads are your best bet.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2018 8:20 AM

It's hotter than the devil's asshole! What kind of salad? I won't eat iceberg, that's for deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2018 8:26 AM

You should just have tubs of Haagen Daaz going into you as IVs. That way you don't even have to chew or open your mouth to get fat!

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2018 8:29 AM

Sushi. Everything's cold plus it's quick and easy to make.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2018 8:31 AM

Go to the pre made bag salad section in the produce aisle. Get a chopped Asian salad. Then go to the seafood section and get a half pound of cooked shrimp. If you don’t like shrimp get some precooked chicken in the produce aisle.

Go home. Open bag of salad and mix with protein of choice. Takes longer to buy than to make.

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2018 8:51 AM

Tell me about this quick and easy, no cooking sushi. I'm fascinated.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2018 8:56 AM

Cold cuts, from your local Deli, fresh bread and your are done.

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2018 9:06 AM

Get creative with Jello salads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2018 9:07 AM

R6 Well you gotta make sushi rice but that's all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2018 9:12 AM

Good quality feta (or another similar cheese), on top of chopped watermelon, with an olive oil and fresh lemon or lime juice dressing, and fresh chopped mint. Very easy to make, and a real summer dish. Don’t make it in advance, though: best to make it just before you’ll eat it.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2018 9:26 AM

That sounds like dessert

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2018 9:28 AM

Chicken salad with cranberries and/or raisins and walnuts. It's delicious. You can buy precooked chicken from a deli or grocery store if you absolutely can't bear to turn on the stove.

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2018 9:40 AM

Salads. I cook potatos, hardboiled eggs and green beans and keep in the fridge. Then I just buy lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, cheese chicken or cold cuts from the deli and make a salad. I usually cook everything for the week on Sunday evening. Also sandwiches or wraps.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2018 9:43 AM

Gazpacho.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2018 9:51 AM

I second R10. No better meal in hot weather than a watermelon and feta salad.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2018 10:39 AM

1 800 TAK EOUT

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2018 10:48 AM

Nigella's Greek salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2018 10:54 AM

R11: the saltiness of the feta makes it savoury, but it’s fresh and light.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2018 11:02 AM

In our house we make a batch of chilled avocado soup and serve it as a cool lunch on a scorching day.

Plenty of recipes out there.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2018 11:04 AM

I make a basic avocado salad then put fresh shelled lobster on top of it and us a bit of cocktail sauce with lots of horseradish and fresh squeezed lemon juice. I vary it with jumbo shrimp.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2018 11:28 AM

That sounds so good, R20. Gonna try it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2018 11:30 AM

R21 Buy the lobster live and cook it yourself so that it is very fresh. You can cook it the day before and let it chill in the fridge overnight. Do the same for the jumbo shrimp.

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2018 11:37 AM

Hummus; sliced tomatoes smeared with pesto; strips of bell pepper or zucchini; pita.

Tuna salad with radishes, shredded carrots and chopped romaine. Triscuits.

Chicken salad(use a rotisserie chicken) Since we're not actually cooking the chicken spring for homemade mayo(just takes a minute in a food processor or with a stick blender) Pecans, curry powder, shallots, black pepper, parsley. Fresh fruit, everything seems to be in season at the moment. Challah or potato rolls.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2018 11:37 AM

cum.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2018 12:18 PM

I can't eliminate my stove and oven entirely from summer cooking. Easier to avoid the oven than stove top.

Bean salads are pretty easy to manage. I usually work with dried beans. But you can skip cooking the beans by buying canned beans. Buy a can of black beans or adzuki beans. Rinse them. Add some onions and tomatoes and your favorite dressing. Depending on what produce is available with serve the vegetables raw or steam them in microwave. You want to add a healthy carb cook up some quinoa.

Tabbouleh is easy to make and requires little heat.

A regular tossed salad. Add some tofu cubes that have marinated in apple cider vinegar, oregano, lemon juice and nutritional yeast.

Whole wheat pasta, pesto (vegan - made with nutritional yeast) and black soy beans.

by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2018 3:21 PM

I am looking for a good recipe for a cold noodle salad, something sweet and sour with cilantro. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2018 3:30 PM

Yam Woon Sen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2018 3:33 PM

My house is air conditioned so I don't have a problem cooking. It's hotter outside so I don't like to grill in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2018 3:33 PM

cold soups

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2018 3:35 PM

Cold soups: Vichyssoise, Cucumber Yogurt, Zucchini

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2018 3:35 PM

Nicoise Salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2018 3:36 PM

Also this and add cilantro.

I would use ground sesame or tahini instead of the peanut butter. That's cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2018 4:03 PM

If you don't need the flavouring and the cilantro you can make zaru-soba as well, but that's not really a salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2018 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!