Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Do White Men Get MORE Conservative As They Get Older

I've noticed that lately. White men, who used to be progressive all of a sudden become this right-wing Conservative. And the older they get, the more conservative they become in their way of thinking.

Is it that the world is progressing, and these white men don't want to progress with it? That they are afraid and scared of the changes of society, and want things they way they used to be?

by Anonymousreply 296July 23, 2018 3:07 PM

Their brain rots away.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2018 4:52 PM

No, its that the left is batshit is crazy. And when you spent your entire life as reasonably personal, liberal n shit and you do one little thing to spur some special group off, and then time after time you told to shut when you actually support the cause you get jaded as fuck. And then you look at so many major cities that are liberal as fuck, with all its dysfunction and high crime, and you think maybe liberalism does not work in some environments.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2018 4:52 PM

No, its that the left is batshit crazy. And when you spent your entire life as reasonably person, liberal n shit and you do one little thing to spur some special group off, and then time after time you are told to shut up when you actually support the cause you get jaded as fuck. And then you look at so many major cities that are liberal as fuck, with all its dysfunction and high crime, and you think maybe liberalism does not work in some environments.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2018 4:53 PM

R3, I agree with you, but I keep that sentiment to myself IRL.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2018 4:55 PM

Oh, dear Alt-Right Troll (AKA R2/R3) you were never liberal to start with. Any other turd nuggets of alt-right wisdom you care to share with us, besides this one?

[quote] If you could legitimately be rewired to be hetero would you?

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2018 4:56 PM

They were the stars, the young bucks and they fully thought it was because they were special, each one of them. Now, for maybe the first time, they discover that their hard work and ideas were carried along by a privilege they never acknowledged. It's the white knuckles on the ledge of their great heights. I get it. Think of it. Everyone they encountered in the past reflected back their superiority. Now, everyone they encounter looks like competition, and sneering competition at that. Imagine getting used to being admired and then poof.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2018 4:56 PM

People, not just white men, tend to lose their empathy as they age.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2018 4:57 PM

r5, I am not alt right. I'm an independent thinker. And so what if I struggle with my sexuality at times. I am human.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2018 4:58 PM

What are you trying to say, R2/R3? That if you are called out for something you've said or done (by liberals, I assume), that motivates you to become conservative? How do you reconcile holding an opinion that offends others with support for what others believe?

It sounds like you're alienated and angry for holding opinions others abhor.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2018 4:59 PM

Progressives need to understand that a lot of what is embraced among academics, culturally liberal, and secular urbanites is not popular with mainstream America. While I agree white privilege exists and is a problem, what political Good does it do us to discuss it the way we do? It just angers white people and make them even more tribal

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2018 5:00 PM

WTF is mainstream America? Are we supposed to buy in to the belief that the only "true" Americans are those who live in rural districts? That's conservative talking points right there.

And utter bullshit. I am a secular academic liberal in an urban environment, and I am as American as anyone else. Why am I supposed to subordinate my facts to what people who lack education, experience and empathy believe? Why aren't [italic]they[/italic] supposed to subordinate their beliefs to what I can prove?

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2018 5:03 PM

I would respectfully beg to differ with you, R7. My own case has been quite the opposite; I am much more empathetic now in my 60s than I was when I was younger since I'm no longer hustling to find my place in this world I have time to cultivate empathy and kindness. It's my belief that people get more conservative as they age because they get wiser.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2018 5:06 PM

R11, because as you know, recently more of them have voted. It's not enough to be right anymore. We have to learn how to sell it to them. That might mean compromise. Which isn't popular.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2018 5:08 PM

OP, because the romance of idealism disappears with youth. It's a biological fact that the older we become, the more we look at the world realistically and in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2018 5:08 PM

R14's response rings true to me. I think it is about lost idealism. I certainly feel it myself. I'm almost 50 and I shock myself at some of the things that cross my mind these days, like "they should just get a job" and such. Yet I continue to vote very liberal and give money to liberal causes. But I am conflicted a bit at this point. Jaded?

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2018 5:10 PM

We're experiencing a shift in demographics that scares white people. In my lifetime, we've gone from whites encompassing 88.5% of the US to 72.4%, and it intimidates white people to think that in the next 50 years, and indeed in many states (like California) they already are, a minority... and they won't like it when they get treated like they have treated minorities since forever. (Hence, Trump and the alt-right.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2018 5:12 PM

Personally I believe you should have used the term Liberal r10.

"LIberals need to understand that a lot of what is embraced among academics, culturally liberal, and secular urbanites. . ."

Progressive is not the same as liberal. I consider myself a progressive and I do not agree with the social policies liberals support at this time. I believe they are counterproductive and making things worse not better. So please, if you feel support for an issue is not reasoned and sound logically use the liberal term, not progressive. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2018 5:14 PM

First of all, I'm a white man who has become more liberal over time, not more conservative. I was raised with "conservative" values (yes I put that in quotes for a reason). Many guys I know have gone on to own property, or to start their own businesses, and their focus seems to always be how to pay less in tax. Well, if you own several properties that are producing income for you, you should expect to pay more in tax. But that seems to get stuck in their craws. You make more money, you pay more tax. Seems simple to me. Of course, if you're truly wealthy, you've probably found ways to pay little or even no tax.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2018 5:17 PM

R16 That rests on the spurious logic that Hispanics aren't white. While you personally may not consider them as white as you are, the rest of the world does.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2018 5:22 PM

R18 is it because we all know that taxes collected are a good thing that always go to good causes? My beef is that we have no control over where our tax dollars go. They were hijacked long before we were born. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. When you get older, you have more to lose and you notice how expensive everything has gotten and how taxes feel abusive regardless of how much income you bring in.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2018 5:23 PM

It's not that more of them have voted, R13; it's that we have a system (specifically, the Electoral College, but in general as well) that counts their vote for more than mine, which is a direct result of the Civil War in which the North basically apologized to the South for beating them (sorry to open that can of worms, but it is what it is). For instance, a vote in Ohio is worth the same as about 6 votes in California. How is that equal?

And then we have gerrymandering, and now, a SCOTUS that believes that because we are ideologically aligned with our racial heritage, for lack of better words to describe this phenomenon, that politicians choosing their voters (instead of how our system is supposed to work, which is the other way around) is Constitutional. But I digress.

Now, your other point, that liberals don't or should compromise, is a fallacy... and a conservative talking point. It is not the left that engages in purity tests. It is not the left that believes there is only one "American" viewpoint. It is not the left that demands their way or the highway. For instance, let's look at the ACA: Democrats invited Republicans to the table, took into consideration their demands, and wrote their ideas into the law... only to have them vote, en mass, against the law after watering it down and removing several of the critical points that the Democratic base wanted (the public option, for one, despite there being widespread support for the idea). Compare and contrast that accomplishment with the only accomplishment that Trump has achieved at the same point in his presidency as Obama when the ACA passed: the tax giveaway to the ultra-wealthy. Did Republicans invite Democrats to the table to negotiate? Did they include any liberal tax policy in the bill? Did they even attempt to consider progressive ideas? Or did they ram it through in the dead of night?

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote]While you personally may not consider them as white as you are, the rest of the world does.

Tell that to anyone on the right... or for that matter, tell that to the mothers who had their suckling infants ripped from their teats at the border.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2018 5:30 PM

I always thought it had to do with acquiring assets and then wanting to protect them

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2018 5:34 PM

[quote]No, its that the left is batshit crazy

Wrong. With all that's going on, it's amazing you can even claim something so completely backwards. The RIGHT is batshit crazy. The left is about as sane as humans can get..

You're a moron, spewing tired old right-wing disinformation talking points and bullshit. Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2018 5:37 PM

[quote] I'm an independent thinker.

R8, you most certainly are not. There's nothing independent or original in your thinking at all. You're just mindlessly parroting RWNJ propaganda, talking points, and garbage without an original or independent thought in your head. Just give up. You're wrong. Go fix yourself before worrying about other people.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2018 5:39 PM

My uncle is a case in point. I'm pretty sure in the 80s he voted for Mondale and Dukakis, and in the 90s Clinton each time. But he always had a racist streak. About 10 years ago (hmm, when Obama was elected?) I noticed his shift to the right. He would show us right-wing cartoons and expect us to have a knowing laugh with him. I think he misses the America of the 50s and 60s, not just because it was whiter (although that's a big park) but because of the nostalgia and grieving for the past that most people have to an extent. The Republicans have convinced some people that the changes you like are thanks to them, and the changes you dislike are the fault of the Democrats. (In reality, most changes cannot be prevented by the most powerful politician.)

My uncle moved with his wife to join relatives in a red state 4 years ago. I have not seen or heard from him since.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2018 5:40 PM

This old gay geezer is now an official bleeding liberal. I switched sides starting with Obama. I don't recognize the retugs anymore.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2018 5:41 PM

[quote]Progressive is not the same as liberal. I consider myself a progressive and I do not agree with the social policies liberals support at this time. I believe they are counterproductive and making things worse not better. So please, if you feel support for an issue is not reasoned and sound logically use the liberal term, not progressive. Thanks.

Talk about having it all wrong and backwards. You don't even understand what basic words mean. And if you don't support the social policies of liberals, you most certainly are NOT progressive.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2018 5:41 PM

As I get older, the more progressive I get. This happened because I stopped listening to all the noise around me. And that really is the problem with politics today, all the noise. 24 Hour News, daily tracking polls, social media, and the pundit class have brought us to where we are today and it's not a good place.

The noise has convinced working class white people that if they support billionaires, that all that billionaire goodness is going to rain down on them and it's been proven over and over again that it never happens that way. They've been convinced that a welfare mother with 3 children by 4 different baby daddies is taking more from them than the billions of dollars of giveaways that are showered on corporations each year.

The biggest problem in this country is that all that noise has turned what are essentially issues about class into issues about race.

I have no problem with white men getting more conservative as they get older. What I have a problem with is why they get more conservative. It's always based on bullshit and misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2018 5:48 PM

The regressive left has turned many more conservative. I actually have more empathy now that I'm older. I find regressives to be lacking in empathy. Everything is abstract for them. I think also they know almost no history so they no nothing of repression in extreme leftist countries.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2018 5:48 PM

R11, you might not want to consider how to appeal to mainstream and Middle America instead of repelling the.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2018 5:50 PM

Fear & Greed.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2018 5:53 PM

Fear. Fear that they are losing their place on the totem pole (age) and banding together.

On the plus side, the older they get the more open they are to mo-jobs, since the girlies have moved on (unless grampaw has lots of money).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2018 5:53 PM

[quote]The regressive left has turned many more conservative.

There's no such thing as 'the regressive left'.

The only 'regressives' are Republicans and Conservatives. You don't even know what words mean.

[quote]I find regressives to be lacking in empathy.

They do, but they're all on the right. No idea what you could possibly even be referring to.

[quote]Everything is abstract for them.

Again, you speak nonsense.

[quote] I think also they know almost no history so they no nothing of repression in extreme leftist countries.

"Extreme leftist" would refer to communist countries, which has nothing to do with progressives, liberals, or "the left" in THIS country. And the barbarism in extreme right countries is every bit as bad or worse (see; Hitler).

Again, the only EXTREMISM happening in this country is right-wing extremism. And it's happening right now just as it did in the late 30s in Germany. So take care which side you choose. History will remember.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2018 5:56 PM

I used to be a Democrat but I don't think I was ever progressive. I don't even recognize the party anymore and I feel really angry when I think of what they have become. TIt's not just me. I have friends who work in social services or who help people for a living, definitely not people who lack in empathy, and they are much more conservative than I am. The title of this thread is just one example of how things have took an odious turn in this country. The fact that we can lump so many people who come from different countries and regions of the world as a group of people who all think the exact same way just because they share the same skin color is absolutely abhorrent to me.

If you want to play that game though, it's not just older "white" people who are getting more conservative, it's younger people as well. No one in Generation Z is making out well in todays economy. You can see it in the various articles out there that promote self esteem at the expense of actual accomplishment. These people know that we are all fucked, but they write these feel good articles to make the situation we are in go down better. White teenagers who grow up disadvantaged, as do many minorities, and are questioning the left wing rhetoric that they have it so much better than everyone else. This has resulted in many of them feeling displaced and questioning the reality that's being fed to them.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2018 5:57 PM

I don't think a lot of white people get it, mot just old white men.

Most people of color are just looking for treatment whites and any group takes for granted; not even riches. A white guy can be a serial killer or pedophile or whatever, but never really have to worry about discrimination or police harassment; he goes anywhere and is embraced and the best is thought of him, UNTIL he proves otherwise. Do you have any idea, at all, how just that simple gift and the lack of it, affects others?

I'm college educated, have my own home, live in an upper middle class area; never even had a moving violation driving, work for the state (which means background and drug testing), and at any time or anywhere, someone will try to reduce me to their stereotypes of what black and female should look like; and Lord help you if you're not sufficiently humbled, well now, you're just an uppity black bitch.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2018 5:59 PM

r10, Academic liberals are arrogant and stubborn. What you have said has been proven time and time again but they refuse to change their ways.

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2018 6:01 PM

I’m not conservative. I’m waiting for a Democrat who says “I will not let Christians OR Muslims hurt you”. But, I doubt that will happem Muslims have money (I think), and politicians love money. Plus, I want a Democrat that’s all about jobs, healthcare, protecting LGBT people in the work place and in housing, etc.” I like this Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan. I’m voting for her.

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2018 6:02 PM

As if on cue. R36 is part of the problem. Even if young people, who reliably vote Democratic, came out in huge numbers as conservative, this person would just blame all white people for not getting it.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2018 6:03 PM

"I remember when this used to be a white man's country.".. Grandpa

by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2018 6:07 PM

If we can all just stay divided right down the line and pick a side and stay there no matter what happens, then we will be able to ignore the real theft going on.

by Anonymousreply 41July 8, 2018 6:07 PM

Men are just assholes, no way around it.

by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2018 6:10 PM

It's not about politics or ideology on either side. America is in decline and most folks know even if they won't acknowledge it. It's about fighting over the scraps until nothing is left. It's going to get worse as fewer spots remain in this musical chairs game.

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2018 6:10 PM

R39, yes master, thanks master for helping me to understand how I should feel.

I guess I shouldn't have tried, when volunteering for Ferraro back in the day or becoming a member of N.O.W. maybe I should not have given up an hour a week to answer calls at DNC. Cause you know, I'm not completely gracious to you and sit on my black ass....like obviously think I do, waiting for someone to figure it out for me..

by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2018 6:13 PM

R2 is just an ignorant person...therefore, she is conservative. That is what is wrong with every conservative, ignorant, heartless and racist. It is always the same combination.

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2018 6:13 PM

Every election cycle, Democrats get more and more invaded by Muslims. And, that leaves me with nobody. What self-respecting gay person would vote for a Muslim or Muslim supporter? What self-respecting gay person would vote for some evangelical, or supporter? If I leave sections blank on ballots (like the 2016 presential section) that’s the Democrat’s fault. Re-evaluate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2018 6:15 PM

I see this all the time. Bleeding heart liberals in the 20s/30s , raging conservatives by 50.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2018 6:16 PM

The USA has always been on an ebb & flow with multiple rises and declines.

The current decline doesn’t have to stay that way, but we must get back to being open to recognizing what we agree on and finding ways to make those things happen.

We need to make it about economic policies and education which will do wonders for the social issues in the aggregate

by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2018 6:17 PM

R46: Every DL politics thread, the responses got more and more invaded by bigots like you. I have nowhere to go, no thread to read that isn't invavded. Oh woe!! WOE I SAY!!!

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2018 6:19 PM

[quote]Every election cycle, Democrats get more and more invaded by Muslims.

Oh my God, you're right! We went from 1 (0.18% of Congress) to 2 (0.37%) Muslims elected to Congress in the last 10 years! That's a 100% increase!

by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2018 6:25 PM

[quote]If I leave sections blank on ballots (like the 2016 presential [sic] section) that’s the Democrat’s fault.

And it's therefor your fault that gays are about to lose everything we've worked for the last 50 years. But her emails!

by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2018 6:27 PM

R45, you might want to check your sexism while you are calling out other assholes for their various -isms. Stop referring to male posters you disagree with or hate as 'she'. It's just as bad as what the asshole conservatives do.

As for why white men get more conservative as they get old? It's really simple and you are all overthinking it. It's all money. They either made a lot of money and now think the Repugs will let them keep it moreso than the Dems or they didn't make a lot of money and, of course, it could by way of their ego have absolutely nothing to do with them, so it must have been some outside force that kept them from being the rich men they were supposed to be. The easiest groups to blame, minorities and women, and so they get more racist and sexist as they age. The party that speaks to racists and sexists is the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2018 6:29 PM

R49 etc is the problem. A gay person a bigot because I’m not into religion? Or, is it just the Islam? Could gay people be defending evangelicalism now? Wow. Fuck off. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 53July 8, 2018 6:31 PM

Don't blame you not voting and refusing to do your civic duty on anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 54July 8, 2018 6:33 PM

PEOPLE get more conservative.

And, yes, less “empathetic”.

by Anonymousreply 55July 8, 2018 6:36 PM

R52 is right to call r45 for his homophobic and misogynistic misgendering of male posters

by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2018 6:36 PM

I believe that the poster was blaming it on a two party system that leaves him or her with no palatable choices to vote for

by Anonymousreply 57July 8, 2018 6:36 PM

Women get more liberal as they get older. That's because as the world changes, men are losing and women are gaining.

by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2018 6:36 PM

Notice how all these so-called ex-Democrats can't seem to come up with any real examples of Democratic policies or politicians that exhibit these "batshit crazy" traits?

by Anonymousreply 59July 8, 2018 6:38 PM

Hang on, popcorn time.

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2018 6:39 PM

The asshole who commented “but her emails”, I have blocked, so I whatever your reply number was—this incident stopped me from voting for Clinton. So, whatever this was about, I have no idea. If it was some shout out to investors, Soros, or what nefarious anti-gay group Clinton was/is associated with. Should I put up with this? Maybe in the minds of a lot of gay people, I should. But, no. I decided not to.

Do you even remember this? Do you even know about it, or care that this morbid incident took place? I can’t see your reply, nor do I care. But, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. Thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2018 6:39 PM

So you're admitting that you're a fool, R61? An individual chose to sit behind Clinton at a public campaign rally and that stopped you from voting for her? Wow....

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2018 6:41 PM

Thanks for making your insanity so clear, R61.

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2018 6:41 PM

The concept of “America as the world’s leader” was an apparition after WWII. The rest of the world can now easily compete with us and is exceeding us in many areas. Older white people are having a horrible time accepting it and are lashing out. Americans have been taught for decades about “American Exceptionalism”, but it doesn’t really exist.

Combine this with mildly racist, middle class white people who are terrified of BLM, terrorists and apparently MS13...and you have the perfect storm for 30-40 years of Trumpism.

It’s going to take a least a generation to get over this hump, folks. Buckle up.

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2018 6:41 PM

You know, R31, that's just another conservative talking point. Why am I, a liberal urban academic who has spent a lifetime educating myself, practicing my trade(s), and working for a better life, supposed to kowtow to rural conservatives who shun education, think that they — and they alone — should only have to hold one job their entire lives, retire with security, and have everything that this country is supposed to be about? Why is it that I think every American deserves affordable access to healthcare, but they think that the only people who should be able to see a doctor is themselves (and that doctor better be a white man, to boot!)?

Liberals are inclusive, or at least try to be. Liberals care about everyone, or at least consider others in their choices and beliefs. Liberals want everyone to succeed, or at least have the opportunity. Conservatives are exclusionary. Conservatives care about themselves and only themselves. Conservatives only want people like themselves to succeed. These are facts. And these facts are difficult to swallow for white men as they age because they think, as a result of being told to believe, that it is a zero-sum game in which if anyone not white gets anything, the whites lose a corresponding amount.

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2018 6:42 PM

Just fuck off. These assholes who defend who defend Mateen’s father. Are you gay people? What the fuck is wrong with you? Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2018 6:43 PM

Nobody here "defended Matten's father," r66. As with the rest of your paranoid rants on this thread, you're making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2018 6:44 PM

Anybody who defends Omar Mateen’s father is immediately FF’d and blocked. Spare me.

by Anonymousreply 68July 8, 2018 6:44 PM

More wisdom from R66:

[quote]I’m not conservative. I’m waiting for a Democrat who says “I will not let Christians OR Muslims hurt you”. But, I doubt that will happem Muslims have money (I think), and politicians love money.

[quote]Every election cycle, Democrats get more and more invaded by Muslims. And, that leaves me with nobody. What self-respecting gay person would vote for a Muslim or Muslim supporter? What self-respecting gay person would vote for some evangelical, or supporter?

I think we know what happened to this idiot.

by Anonymousreply 69July 8, 2018 6:45 PM

Datalounge's Blocking Queen is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 70July 8, 2018 6:45 PM

R61, you are a fucking idiot.

What a hot-house flower. You were just LOOKING for excuses to justify your grotesque sexism.

There is NOTHING that should have made you decide to NOT prevent an obvious racist, misogynist sexual predator, narcissistic sociopath, a pathologically lying con-man, and mob-connected traitor to this country. He was thoroughly unfit, unqualified, and incompetent.

We could have had the most experienced, qualified, competent, knowledgeable, hard-working, respected, and admired President in living memory, but you threw a tantrum over THAT?

You are a fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 71July 8, 2018 6:45 PM

I repeat: Nobody here "defended Matten's father," R68. As with the rest of your paranoid rants on this thread, you're making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 72July 8, 2018 6:45 PM

So, an ignorant, paranoid, bigoted drama queen and it's all the Democrats fault that he won't vote Democratic, assuming that he ever did. But hey, he's not conservative, so everything's good!

by Anonymousreply 73July 8, 2018 6:47 PM

How did you see me reference her emails if you've blocked me, R61? I guess it's the same clarity of thought that equates an anonymous rally attendee with support for an anti-gay agenda (which does not exist even in the furtive imagination of RWNJs) that leads someone to believe in such nonsense that can enable you to see posts you've blocked.

by Anonymousreply 74July 8, 2018 6:49 PM

R20 has it right. The short answer is "Money". If you grow older and get money, you start wanting to keep it, and therefore you get more conservative in any fiscal way - saving money for retirement, etc. You start seeing money differently and resent any spending that seems to be wasted.

by Anonymousreply 75July 8, 2018 6:49 PM

But why are they okay with corporate welfare R75?

by Anonymousreply 76July 8, 2018 6:51 PM

And trillion dollar deficits?

by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2018 6:55 PM

R76: Because they think that corporate welfare doesn’t (directly) go to people with dark skin.

And it’s very difficult to connect one’s own interests to corporate taxes, vs your own income or sales taxes.

by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2018 6:56 PM

I think that the OP made a generalization that is far too wide. In my experience, the majority of people who are better educated grow more progressive with age. People with more education are curious about how people in other income classes live and survive. They are interested in how people in other nations with other economic systems live and survive. If they have the means, they travel to see for themselves. They follow politics and the trail of money, and they observe the corrosive influence of money in politics. They study economics and learn that the societies in the world that have smaller gaps between the rich and the poor are less corrupt. In other words, they are curious and with that curiosity comes empathy and the desire to change the world for the better. People with less education and/or less innate curiosity become more conservative with age, and vote against their own self-interest time and time again. It really is that simple. I'm going to say that every single person on this thread who used the word Muslim is less educated or less curious. I'm going to say that every person on this thread that has no concept of the meanings of progressive or liberal is less educated or less curious. I'm going to say that every person on this thread who brought up taxes as being useless and wasted is less educated or less curious.

by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2018 6:57 PM

Okay, then why are they always in favor of cutting education funding and funding for the arts. That's not a black or white issue.

by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2018 6:59 PM

R76, that's a bigger generalization than the OP made. Many older white moneyed men are against corporate welfare too.

by Anonymousreply 81July 8, 2018 6:59 PM

R80, because rich republicans probably feel that they never benefited from the arts.

by Anonymousreply 82July 8, 2018 7:02 PM

[quote]Why Do White Men Get MORE Conservative As They Get Older

[quote] In my experience, the majority of people who are better educated grow more progressive with age. People with more education are curious about how people in other income classes live and survive.

Most people become more conservative as they get older simply because they usually have more to lose, become more risk averse, and have less perceived time to fix things if things go south. People become more concerned about keeping what they have.

Secondly, the human brain itself continues to develop until well into your 20s. The portion of the brain that truly associates cause-and-effect doesn't develop until then. This is why younger people tend to be much greater risk takers and more daredevil.

Finally, as we age our own mortality becomes an issue. People begin to value personal safety and security much more highly.

by Anonymousreply 83July 8, 2018 7:03 PM

[quote]why are they always in favor of cutting education funding and funding for the arts

Because education and the arts tend to promote, and are tools to achieve, equality and success. and they (meaning conservatives, I assume of whom you speak) aren't pro-equality or success for anyone other than themselves.

Conservatism is about being selfish in the zero-sum world they have concocted.

by Anonymousreply 84July 8, 2018 7:04 PM

As noted, it's a gross generalization, but as one more explanation, "conservative" has as its root, "conserve:" To protect something from harm or destruction. And what some people do is freeze things at a certain point in their life: "I can go so far and no farther. I accepted some change when I was younger but now I need the change to stop."

by Anonymousreply 85July 8, 2018 7:06 PM

Lately this has been happening more often because of anti-Caucasian sentiment in progressivism. It’s become less “let’s make things better” and more “let’s spend all our energy hectoring and blaming.”

by Anonymousreply 86July 8, 2018 7:06 PM

Young or old white men are majority conservative.

by Anonymousreply 87July 8, 2018 7:11 PM

That’s not the point though, r87. The point is, why do those who are left leaning when young more right leaning when older?

by Anonymousreply 88July 8, 2018 7:22 PM

White Devils! White Devils everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 89July 8, 2018 7:23 PM

I don't for a minute believe the phenomenon to be limited to white men. I have known many Black, Italian, Jewish, and Asian women become more conservative as they've slid into their forties-fifties. Perhaps all of us are somewhat susceptible to losing our idealism along with our youthful innocence and exuberance. Some of us develop more empathy for others through our own adversity and suffering while others become hardened and closed off. The brain studies on conservatives are fascinating: they overwhelmingly show brains plagued by fear, and a lack of empathy. These studies did not involve people who described themselves as centrists with a slight right leaning, or those who embrace a few conservative political beliefs BTW.

by Anonymousreply 90July 8, 2018 7:27 PM

OP's premise is a lie. People do not get more conservative as they get older, that's just a fraud perpetrated by conservatives to try to tie the growing aging population to their own identity and to overlook how much of conservatism is dying right in front of us.

Yes, older brains do deteriorate, the years since school take away habits of critical thought, and relentless right-wing propaganda all take a toll. Bear in mind too that americans are more ignorant of economics, because it is never taught to most of them and what is taught is dishonest mumbo-jumbo divorced from real history. They probably hear more about it from ads and the pulpit than they ever did in school. And bear in mind that Americans have little or no acquaintance with how real wealth operates. All they see in their little towns, cities, and suburbs are middle class and poor people. If they knew how hedge fund billionaires got that way, they would kill them without a second thought.

But for all that, voting habits are more about generational experience than ideology and identity. The Greatest Generation voted conservative because they never experienced as adults the class struggles and failed economics that were fixed by the Command Socialism of World War II and the left-liberal aftermath. The Silent Generation led the social rebellion of the sixties, and the older Baby Boomers in turn took that for granted and reacted against the liberalism of the Great Society. Younger boomers started conservative but have drifted left as they understood how Reaganomics was a fraud and a failure. Generation X moved towards both social and political conservatism because of the cynicism of the Clinton years. Millenials and youngers reacted to the lies of Bush era conservatism. The reason conservatives are nothing in the younger generation is that liberals have not had the chance to govern anything since the 1990s, so there is nobody to blame but conservatives for the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 91July 8, 2018 7:31 PM

Interesting thoughts R91, but I know many boomer men and women who were practically hippies in their youth, then they morphed into conservative yuppie types. BTW, I'm not American, but live here in the states. I really don't know many people from Britain or Europe who have made this radical shift.

by Anonymousreply 92July 8, 2018 7:39 PM

R86 in a nation where, generally speaking, white males control most of the wealth and hold all the levers of power (and always have); whom should we blame. White males continue to crave all the resources and all of the power. But they want zero accountability. When Asian woman own everything, run everything and rule for 200 yrs; we will then shift the blame to them.

And that’s not to say that the majority of white males are rich or have power. They majority have, however, supported and protected the supremacists beliefs, the institutions, the policies and the systems that enable white male domination.

by Anonymousreply 93July 8, 2018 7:44 PM

We’re not that smart, folks. Humans are illogical and tribal. When one tribe gets into power, everyone else’s weapons will be pointed at them, and the tribe in power will get defensive.

by Anonymousreply 94July 8, 2018 7:47 PM

The more I think of it, and read others' posts here, I feel it may be isolated to Americans of a generation or two.

by Anonymousreply 95July 8, 2018 7:51 PM

Its hot when they take all that white rage out in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2018 8:06 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 97July 8, 2018 8:35 PM

There is so much right wing talking points (or Russian bots) in this thread.

In a world where the right wing has gone so bonkers we are nearing a fascist state the talking points is the LEFT has gone bonkers??????????? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm NO. I stopped reading a few posts in when the tired stale right wing talking points were in full force.

In years past, if someone became more "conservative" in their old age racism probably played a huge part in that.

by Anonymousreply 98July 8, 2018 8:56 PM

It's not just white males, OP. It's anyone who works hard over decades to get ahead and then looks at how much of their money is taken in taxes.

by Anonymousreply 99July 8, 2018 9:03 PM

R99 Then why the hell are they voting for the GOP? The GOP causes so much economic destruction and really only give tax breaks to the very top you're worse off in the end with them in power. The GOP LOVES to fee you to death otherwise known as nickel and dime you to death. They are masters at it. Anyone thinking the GOP is going to help them with money in their old age are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 100July 8, 2018 9:14 PM

How close to a fascist state are we, R8?

by Anonymousreply 101July 8, 2018 9:29 PM

Yeah, the GOP is really going to help you out financially when they take away your Medicare and Social Security, R99.

by Anonymousreply 102July 8, 2018 9:38 PM

Because they don't like losing power; no one does, really. I think it extends to old men of any race as well -- just not to such an extreme degree as they are not losing as much power.

I've also noticed people get irrationally angry as they get older. It's a stereotype for a reason. Maybe it has to do with cognitive decline associated with age?

by Anonymousreply 103July 8, 2018 9:49 PM

r12, "conservatism" doesn't necessarily equal wisdom, that said, I can then say for myself that in my 20s and 30s (in the 80s--ronnie reegin era) as a gay, white male I voted for Socialist parties and even the Communist Party (while they were still running candidates) even though I've always been a registered Democrat as my parents were since FDR's time, partly because I thought they would offer something that would punish people who persecuted "fags". As I read further and found out rather differently after the Soviet Union fell and that Cuba tried to send as many of their supposedly gay people to the US in the "boatlifts" then, I had to think again. I recalled Eleanor Roosevelt saying that we didn't necessarily need a revolution to accomplish free universal health care or free education beyond high school, meaning we could co-opt at least some of the social benefits Socialism endorsed without a lot of social upheaval. I have tended to adopt that approach later in life (I'm in my 60s now) and have become much more patriotic about the USA and its culture, political and otherwise, especially with regard to Muslims and the trouble they seem to want to cause.

by Anonymousreply 104July 8, 2018 10:04 PM

[quote]I've also noticed people get irrationally angry as they get older. It's a stereotype for a reason.

The stereotype is the old man yelling at people to get off their lawn, not old women. Women get more liberal as they get older. This is a male issue. Men, of all races, all seem to get more stuck in their ways as they get older. They can't adapt to anything. I think half of the straight ones would die if their wives stopped feeding them.

by Anonymousreply 105July 8, 2018 10:09 PM

I agree with you R105 regarding the helplessness and sense of entitlement old straight men have regarding their wives, and "gender roles". My mum ought to go on strike and stop feeding my father, and see what happens. It really bothers me how at their advanced age he still expects her to wait on him. He's awfully spoilt.

by Anonymousreply 106July 8, 2018 10:19 PM

R106, my grandmother was no prize but once she stopped making regular meals three times a day, my grandpa ended up living almost entirely off of popcorn and bananas.

by Anonymousreply 107July 8, 2018 10:25 PM

[quote]Any other turd nuggets of alt-right wisdom you care to share with us

Bitch, stop asking trolls to troll more. What the hell is with you people who all but beg a troll to keep talking?

by Anonymousreply 108July 8, 2018 10:30 PM

R14 and his ilk are the very definition of bigots. When you start judging "them" based on nasty racist or classist assumptions, like r15 does, that's not you suddenly being "realistic." You may perceive your bigotry as realistic -- most racists do -- but your perception is not necessarily reality.

Many people as they get older become more insular, and the result is that they think their biases are just common sense. Coupled with fears brought on from a changing world and the aging process, it's no wonder people turn rightwing, especially those who never had to deal with much bigotry towards themselves when younger.

by Anonymousreply 109July 8, 2018 10:36 PM

Gays don't get more conservative as they age, because they don't have children. As breeders start seeing their own mortality approaching, they start thinking about what kind of world their children and grandchildren will grow up in.

As gays get older, they just keep thinking about having as much casual sex as possible before the world goes up in flames after they die. Just look at Palm Springs.

Nobody in their right mind would think that importing millions of 3rd worlders from high crime cultures is a good thing for America.

The left calls any radical change "progress", while demonizing anybody who is white. Progess in the US stopped in the 1950s. Crime was low, people were polite, students respected their teachers and did well in school, and even black people raised their own children in two-parent households. And all of America was united in their singular Christian religion.

What the left calls progress is what Harvey Weinstein calls progress, with a big sociopathic smirk on his herpes-riddled face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 8, 2018 10:38 PM

r98, Oh dear I know the far right has gone batshit crazy, but I do not care about them. But as an independent social liberal, I still care about the left's insight. So much of the left's brand has been taken over by academia--they are crazy and maybe even more dangerous because these people are smart, and victim blaming politics.

by Anonymousreply 111July 8, 2018 10:41 PM

All your "facts" are lies, return, disproven by statistics that are easily found online.

You've posted your fake story about you and your social worker co-workers all knowing that blacks cheat the system before. You've toned it down to try to sneak it in under the radar but I suspect most regulars recognize it.

You remind me of that rightwing Chik-fil-a stan who pretended to be a gay civil rights lawyer with a staff of dozens who all ate CFA every day because it was so gay friendly. You try but your fake stories never make a lick of sense.

by Anonymousreply 112July 8, 2018 10:44 PM

return = r35

My auto-correct loves changing the R numbers and sometimes I don't catch it. But r112 is directed at r35.

by Anonymousreply 113July 8, 2018 10:45 PM

We can always put more justices on the scotus, you know, if we get the WH, the house & the senate. It’s not written in stone that it has to be 9 justices. Do what the GOP does when they are in power — rewrite the rules to suit your agenda. Add judges to scotus to dilute the conservatism.

by Anonymousreply 114July 8, 2018 10:45 PM

who is r112 talking 2?

by Anonymousreply 115July 8, 2018 10:47 PM

This has been attributed to Victor Hugo - If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain

by Anonymousreply 116July 8, 2018 10:47 PM

r110, you lost me after the first paragraph. You know how much inequality existed in the 50s and 60s. I guess you want to go back to Beaver street where blacks were being hanged for talking back.

by Anonymousreply 117July 8, 2018 10:49 PM

Modern conservatives are not what they used to be, R116. The definition of conservative has changed, especially in America. The actual conservatives left in the Repug party are telling everyone to vote for Democrats in November.

by Anonymousreply 118July 8, 2018 10:49 PM

Though I do agree with this--"Nobody in their right mind would think that importing millions of 3rd worlders from high crime cultures is a good thing for America."

by Anonymousreply 119July 8, 2018 10:49 PM

America is a high-crime culture, idiots.

by Anonymousreply 120July 8, 2018 10:50 PM

"America is a high-crime culture, idiots."

It is now, Mr Weinstein

by Anonymousreply 121July 8, 2018 10:53 PM

I do think it is about money... later in life, you've accumulated your wealth, whatever that may add up to. You want to keep it. That is natural. Judge if you like, but that's just natural human nature.

I don't think those people support things like corporate welfare so much as, frankly, they've lived long enough and seen enough that many of them have lost faith in politicians, if not government, to made anything markedly better or different. So they've given up on the system. It's human nature.

But one challenge America has that many other countries don't is a general point of view, that values individualism and self reliance to the point of fetish. You don't get this in countries where there is more a collective view. Look at Canada or the Scandinavian countries. There is a fundamentally more collective view of society. It may even be through gritted teeth, but it is there. The notion you should help somebody else out is not political suicide. Until America cracks that nut, you will always be where you are. And you can't blame older people or white people or conservative people for that alone because it is pretty wide spread. Look at a gun control. You can't even get that done.

by Anonymousreply 122July 8, 2018 10:56 PM

(R118,119,120,121) You all know that statistics show that crime in the US has been steadily dropping for the past 25 years, right? 48% drop between 1991 and 2016. So you're terrified of immigrants, which have been arriving steadily since 1991 precisely why? I guess because Trump told you they were all rapists and murderers......

by Anonymousreply 123July 8, 2018 10:58 PM

r122, and its because were so culturally diverse, especially race wise. Actually where the only rich first world nation, and where the richest at that, that will soon be nonwhite.

by Anonymousreply 124July 8, 2018 10:59 PM

Wow, maybe that would be coherent with the correct spelling and apostrophes. As is, we can only guess at what meaning you intended to communicate

by Anonymousreply 125July 8, 2018 11:01 PM

R123, you've referred your comment to four posts that are disagreeing with each other, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 126July 8, 2018 11:02 PM

Uh oh, Trump learned how to post on DL at R124.

by Anonymousreply 127July 8, 2018 11:03 PM

R122, your post was pretty good until

[quote]And you can't blame older people or white people or conservative people for that alone because it is pretty wide spread. Look at a gun control. You can't even get that done.

Liberals don't fetishize self reliance. It's literally old, white, conservatives who want guns, so that they can eventually overthrow the government if required. So, yes. We can absolutely blame them.

by Anonymousreply 128July 8, 2018 11:04 PM

R12 said being wiser makes you meaner? That is a very ignorant and stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 129July 8, 2018 11:04 PM

R123 may have referred to the wrong numbers, but they are right about the statistics.

by Anonymousreply 130July 8, 2018 11:05 PM

You start looking at your paycheck every week. Seeing how much is taken away from you. That's where it starts.

by Anonymousreply 131July 8, 2018 11:06 PM

r127, thats why America doesn't have the collective mindset that the poster was speaking about. I'm not saying its a good thing, but it all stems from slavery, and whites feeling threatened about our sizable minority population, and just the individual wild west that America has always had.

by Anonymousreply 132July 8, 2018 11:06 PM

Coz they wisen up

by Anonymousreply 133July 8, 2018 11:07 PM

Its human nature. When Scandinavia, Norway, and other high tax countries start becoming more nonwhite you bet a high percentage of the population will no longer want to pay taxes. Even though they are highly education, and the quality of life is outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 134July 8, 2018 11:08 PM

highly educated*

by Anonymousreply 135July 8, 2018 11:09 PM

The simple answer to OP's question is that, on average, white men are dumb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 8, 2018 11:10 PM

Thank you for putting me in my place, R128.

by Anonymousreply 137July 8, 2018 11:17 PM

[quote]You start looking at your paycheck every week. Seeing how much is taken away from you. That's where it starts.

Plus your perception of how respectfully it is managed and spent, if you've got any money. If you don't have any money in country where's it's your fault if you don't succeed, you naturally resent anybody getting a free ride in either direction.

Then in a culture where you don't want poor people or black people or whoever to have free things.... it gets worse fast.

by Anonymousreply 138July 8, 2018 11:19 PM

My husband’s father died last year at 93 and his mother doesn’t know what to do because she waited on him hand and foot for 70 years. He never bought an article of clothing for himself in his entire life. Not underwear, not shirts, pants or ties. Every 20 years or so he’d be dragged to Sears for a suit, picked out by the wife. He never made a bed, used a broom or a vacuum or a washing machine. He wouldn’t even let her buy a microwave. It wasn’t until nurses aides started coming into the home that they were given a microwave by one of the aides when the aide got a new one. The aides all brought home cooked meals with them for lunch and dinner and my mother in law would heat it up for them on the stove, but she never stops talking so she would burn their food while she was walking away from the stove, yakking and yakking away.

When they needed a new appliance he’d go to the library and “do research” for months, going through old Consumer Reports and consumer digests. Then he’d go to buy one and when they asked for ID, since his credit card hadn’t been used for 15 years, he’d show them his typewritten army discharge papers from 1945 (with no photo). He would become incensed because it was “good enough for the United States military, it should be good enough for you!” (He never got a driver’s license)

And of course, he would never allow you to say he was entitled, because he was in WWII, the big one. He saved the world. (He never saw combat)

by Anonymousreply 139July 8, 2018 11:24 PM

Yeah, when I stop being able to fend for myself, I'm leaving. That sounds pretty horrible (objectively) R139. I'm sure he was on cloud nine, unless someone was asking for ID.

by Anonymousreply 140July 8, 2018 11:28 PM

[QUOTE]Gays don't get more conservative as they age, because they don't have children. As breeders start seeing their own mortality approaching, they start thinking about what kind of world their children and grandchildren will grow up in.

R110 came closest to actually answering OP’s question, which specifically focused on white males.

It’s having kids, alright. Daughters in particular. The white man gets more conservative as he begins to envision his daughter having sex with big-dicked black (and now brown) men. It comes in the form of nightmares as little Jennifer approaches puberty. The Republican Party, at its core, is about protecting white women. This is how the Ku Klux Klan got started, and the GOP is its modern incarnation. White men turn to conservatism the same way they used to turn to the Klan. All in the name of joining together to protect their white women from the so-called savage hordes lusting after them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 8, 2018 11:30 PM

Is R110 trying to make us think he's gay?

[quote] Just look at Palm Springs.

Since you're an expert, R110, please tell us... what's wrong with Palm Springs? At least a third of the population is gay. It is the only city in the country that has a 100% gay city counsel and mayor. The quality of life is outstanding. Yes, it's hotter than hell right now, but for 8 months out of the year, the weather can't be beat, anywhere. And, we have the added bonus that during the hot months, the population drops by half and our sleepy little town full of fun people and hot men and pet lovers and great restaurants and quiet safe neighborhoods gets even better. And to top it off, we're only 90 minutes away from every cultural activity (that's not available to us within 5 minutes) can be had on a day trip.

But the shit-icing on R110's turd cake comes thus:

[quote]Nobody in their right mind would think that importing millions of 3rd worlders from high crime cultures is a good thing for America.

Who wants to import "millions of 3rd worlders"? The only people who want to "import" third world workers are people like Trump, who can't get Americans to do their toilet cleaning and lawn mowing, mostly because they won't pay a living wage and expect people who have no education, no skills and no prospects for getting ahead to somehow put all of that aside and work like good little bees until they die from exposure to toxic chemicals, environmental disasters and poor or non-existent healthcare.

Now, do I think we should let just anyone and everyone into the country? No, but I'm not going to rip families apart at the border out of nothing but malice and bigotry, particularly because the people trying to come to the US are fleeing the conditions you're so afraid are coming to the US — but aren't. Don't try to tell me that the isolated incidents of crime and problems these people bring with them even compare to indigenous crime and the problems we face with people whose families migrated here decades if not hundreds of years ago. To whit, when was the last time we had a Hispanic immigrant open fire on a crowd of people, kill dozens and injure hundreds? Why is it people are so willing to hold the brown or black communities responsible for one brown or black person's crimes, but when a white person goes on a shooting spree, he's a "lone wolf"? Talk about white privilege...

We could solve our immigration problems overnight — if we wanted to, but we don't. Here's how: set up a real tracking system so that we know who is in our country, when they came in, and if/when they left; enforce the laws already on the books when it comes to hiring undocumented workers; and finally, the big one that blows Republican minds: stem the flow of guns by simply not allowing anyone and everyone buy as many guns as they want. That last point would also go a long way to solving a host of other problems, not the least of which is the mass murders, school shootings, and gun terrorism that plagues our nation.

by Anonymousreply 142July 8, 2018 11:40 PM

To the posters complaining about taxes, let's break it down. For the vast majority in the country, the biggest amount of taxes they pay is for Medicare and Social Security. Only idiots would not be aware that those are self-benefiting taxes ultimately. Those are regressive taxes because they hit everyone equally, no matter their income.

Then if you own property, you will have property taxes. For gay people, a lot of this money may appear wasted because they don't have children. But if they attended public schools, they're essentially just paying back now for the education they received. Then there are roads and sewers, and water delivery, and police, and firemen, all of which are necessary and used by EVERYONE. Sometimes public transit as well.

Then we are talking about federal income taxes. Now we are talking about military expenditures, (almost half the budget), money for all the departments, EPA, Education, HHS, Homeland Security, VA, IRS, CIA, FBI, Regulatory agencies that make sure that people are compliant with the laws - bankers, stock brokers, builders, contractors, drug manufacturers, etc etc. Then Medicaid, which is shared between Fed and State. Seems like a waste of money if you are employed and get insurance that way, but will come in handy when mom is in the nursing home and her money runs out. ... Way down the list is aid to dependent children (which is what people call welfare). Of course there is the potential for waste in most of these, but the biggest waster of all, the military, is seldom called to make detailed accounting. All the others are routinely audited to try to reduce waste.

The problem in our country is that the rich, the top 1% have the vast majority of the wealth and disposable income, and though they benefit greatly from our system of government, and in fact have gotten rich precisely because of all the ways in which government can help them, they have no desire to help the bottom 99% with ANYTHING and try to get away with paying a smaller percentage of their incomes than even the poorest of the poor.

by Anonymousreply 143July 8, 2018 11:49 PM

Yes, R143; you're right. But I think the point of the thread is that old white people don't care about any of that. They feel like the government is stealing their money to give to brown and black people. They feel that way because the rich have invested in that outcome for the last 30 years. And it's paying dividends.

by Anonymousreply 144July 8, 2018 11:57 PM

I would say the super wealthy have been paying for that hateful propaganda for at least 40 years. It is all lies but racist fools have wanted to believe it. I remember when I was young and heard it on a radio station at work, I knew exactly what it was and hoped that most people would be too wise to fall for it. Of course it has created the new surge in White Supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 145July 9, 2018 12:05 AM

I think it has something to do with the so-called "Greatest Generation" dying off, leaving no one left who remembers the horrors of Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, or Imperial Japan, and so we're going to be forced to go through the whole thing again, only this time we're the bad guys.

by Anonymousreply 146July 9, 2018 12:37 AM

Fear

by Anonymousreply 147July 9, 2018 12:47 AM

Seems like most Americans are real chicken shits...they have to have a gun!! They are afraid to walk down a city street after 7 and if you are from Bumfuck Montana you are actually afraid to even go into a city. All because of right wing, Nazi propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 148July 9, 2018 1:04 AM

[quote]For the vast majority in the country, the biggest amount of taxes they pay is for Medicare and Social Security. Only idiots would not be aware that those are self-benefiting taxes ultimately. Those are regressive taxes because they hit everyone equally, no matter their income.

They don't hit everyone equally, which is a major problem. Rich people don't pay the same as the rest of us. Any money made over $120,000 or so is no longer taxed for Social Security or Medicare. So, someone making $20 million a year has only paid into the SS/Medicare system on the first $120,000 of that. The next $19,880,000 had $0 taken out for the biggest, most successful social safety net programs in the world. If they got rid of that cap and also started taxing capital gains at the same rate as the rest of us for SS/Medicare, both programs would be solvent forever AND we could have the best single payer healthcare system in the world.

Instead, the Repugs gave the the billionaire's a huge tax cut and the rest of us have paychecks that aren't keeping up with inflation.

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2018 1:25 AM

Fear

by Anonymousreply 150July 9, 2018 1:28 AM

r142 Has never looked up crime rates by ethnicity, nor does he have any plans to do so. He'd much rather pretend that the media would tell us if blacks were committing violent and property crimes at 700% of the rate of non-black Americans, or that the Latino crime rate is skyrocketing towards the same rate as blacks.

Nope, r142 just wants to focus on whatever the TV tells him, and pretend white people are the real problem.

And of course, r142 says he opposes open borders, but then in the next sentence says let them all in if they get to the border. In other words, r142 supports wide open borders.

by Anonymousreply 151July 9, 2018 1:28 AM

People get more Conservative when they see how the Left, by providing services from the cradle to the grave, screws middle class taxpayers . It can't be denied that every city in financial crises is run by Democrats who continue their "everything for everybody" policies.

by Anonymousreply 152July 9, 2018 1:42 AM

Actually, it not only can be denied, it should be, since what you wrote isn't even remotely close to being true. You really aren't very bright, are you?

by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2018 1:44 AM

BigThink just published a post about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2018 1:47 AM

R154 "Are older people more prejudiced?" I wouldn't say that. More like idealism gives way to reality as one becomes older.

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2018 1:50 AM

R153 has no facts to prove r152 wrong, just uses the same ole stock phrase for anything they disagree with.

by Anonymousreply 156July 9, 2018 1:55 AM

[quote] Gays don't get more conservative as they age, because they don't have children. As breeders start seeing their own mortality approaching, they start thinking about what kind of world their children and grandchildren will grow up in. As gays get older, they just keep thinking about having as much casual sex as possible before the world goes up in flames after they die. Just look at Palm Springs. Nobody in their right mind would think that importing millions of 3rd worlders from high crime cultures is a good thing for America. The left calls any radical change "progress", while demonizing anybody who is white. Progess in the US stopped in the 1950s. Crime was low, people were polite, students respected their teachers and did well in school, and even black people raised their own children in two-parent households. And all of America was united in their singular Christian religion. What the left calls progress is what Harvey Weinstein calls progress, with a big sociopathic smirk on his herpes-riddled face.

Ending legalized racial segregation was quite radical. The Civil Rights Movement was quite radical. The Women's Liberation Movement was quite radical. The Gay Rights & Marriage Equality movements were quite radical. All post 1950's all very very radical. Granting the full citizenship guaranteed to U.S. citizens by the U.S. Constitution to anyone other than white males is quite radical.

This nation was founded on greed and slave labor built and enriched it. A vulgar greedy conman who has been sued thousands of times is president of the United States. The US crime culture enables 1 percent of the population to control more of this nation's wealth than the bottom 90%. All of which conservatives consider ti be progress. Having said that. Violent crime rates have continued to drop since the 1990s and are currently as low as they were in the 1950s. And immigrants are less likely to commit crimes. They commit fewer crimes than American citizens. And they come here to work because corporations continue to exploit their labor.

[quote] For 15 to 20 years both the violent and nonviolent crime rates as measured by the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report (UCR) have been dropping like a rock. It is now at the level of the early 1950s. It is very low," said Alan Lizotte, a professor in the School of Criminal Justice at the University at Albany, in email correspondence with PolitiFact.

The mythological paradise of the 1950s never existed. And attempting to duplicate the economic growth of the 1950s and the mythological paradise, through unrestrained sociopathic capitalism and institutional racism, is destroying Whites, Nonwhites and this nation.

by Anonymousreply 157July 9, 2018 1:56 AM

fear of weakening and dying

by Anonymousreply 158July 9, 2018 1:57 AM

It's never going to stick, but most are not single-issue voters. We can marry now....ain't that great? Nothing is going to be taken away. We are still carrying on for some reasons unknown via "pride" parades. So what's the beef really, other than an excuse to party and make asses of ourselves? I haven't met a guy that I'd want to legally bind myself to, personally - but for those that have: that's excellent and good for you. I see many of you on Grindr and Scruff, but I'll just ignore that.

What's wrong with wanting to protect what you've worked your ass off for?

by Anonymousreply 159July 9, 2018 2:18 AM

Smart people get more liberal and dumb people get more conservative. It's science. Thank God my dad is smart. He hasn't voted for a Republican since the first Bush administration.

by Anonymousreply 160July 9, 2018 2:30 AM

R110 is a prime example of the disinformation we are fed on a daily basis. It was George W. Bush who opened the borders to anyone who wanted to come, both as a libertarian leaning shithead and because corporate leaders were concerned in 2000 that wages were going to go up unless he did. In his first four years not one employer was prosecuted for hiring illegals. In the second he changed course, trying on that racist mantra. Obama, on the other hand, deported more people in his first term than Bush did in his second. But they didn't give him credit for it - oh no. The sanctuary given to left-wing priests to refugees from the CIA-caused wars in El Salvador and Guatemala became the excuse for claiming liberals wanted no borders at all, even though the no-borders people are all libertarians who vote republican. The truth is it is the economic left - unions and blacks - who have traditionally disdained immigration for suppressing wages. Its history on the right has always been about racism and religious hate, but always subservient in the end to whatever the corporate masters want.

by Anonymousreply 161July 9, 2018 3:28 AM

"The mythological paradise of the 1950s never existed."

Commies like r157 compare 2018 crime data to Peak Crackhead data from 1989, and pretend that proves that the 1950s weren't much safer with much lower crime rates.

Segregation had major benefits for blacks, before the welfare state came along and destroyed the black two parent family. Just look at how 99 blacks can be killed by blacks, and the black community doesn't care. But when that 1 out of 100 blacks is killed by a white person or a cop, blacks treat it like a holocaust.

No integration, no "holocausts", and no systematic dumbing down of US public schools while black students jump on the desks and bully the white, Asian, and Latino kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 9, 2018 4:15 AM

Now who had the higher quality of life, these happy intact black families, or the single parent slums where the kids grow up angry, abused, neglected, molested by mamma's "boyfriends" so badly that they can't focus in school, can't control their anger, can't develop any real self esteem, and can't obey the laws of civilized society?

We hear about blacks being hanged under segregation, but you all know damn well that there are black gangsters who terrorize black and white neighborhoods today, and we'd all be better off if they were hanging from trees, especially innocent black people.

Black families thrived under segregation in part because the black thugs were put down like the rabid dogs they were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 9, 2018 4:20 AM

Casually racist white, and especially Jewish liberals can't make a distinction between a black thug and a black civilized person. We see this same casual racism when these elitist liberals fail to make a distinction between Latinos and the MS-13 gangsters who terrorize Latinos, and sell them into sex slavery.

by Anonymousreply 164July 9, 2018 4:21 AM

[quote]Segregation had major benefits for blacks, before the welfare state came along and destroyed the black two parent family.

R162 is a racist lying sack of shit. F&F

by Anonymousreply 165July 9, 2018 4:24 AM

Gay men are forever in Peter Pan stage, always the boys who never wanted to grow up. Clinging to absurd idealism into middle age is a sign of never growing up.

"Leth juth acthept half of Thaudi Arabia into the U eth A, and everybody will acthept uth gayth and lethbians if we jutht thtay pothitive!!!

by Anonymousreply 166July 9, 2018 4:24 AM

r165 is racist against whites and blacks. r165 thinks blacks are doing better with 70% single parent household rate, and all the life-crippling emotional torment that being fatherless to teenage mothers entails.

by Anonymousreply 167July 9, 2018 4:26 AM

R166 - yes.

by Anonymousreply 168July 9, 2018 4:31 AM

R167 are you gay?

by Anonymousreply 169July 9, 2018 4:35 AM

I love how the white guy (R163) says that black people had it better in the segregated 1950's. Because everyone knows life is better when you aren't allowed to vote, when you are forced to live in a specific substandard part of town with no services, where you are forced to give up your seat to white people on buses, where no restaurant will serve you, and where there is no possibility of social mobility upward, or earning a better wage, and yes, where your husband or children are routinely lynched..... Sounds like PARADISE to me. Apparently a lot of people on DL don't even realize that the majority of black people do not live in inner city Detroit or Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 170July 9, 2018 5:04 AM

R151 has reading comprehension problems. Sad; another product of our rightwingnutjob-run public education system, starved of the resources to prevent the tragedy of R151. Nevertheless, I'm sure R151 will find a way to blame it on black and brown people trying to make a better life for themselves and their children, because in R151's world, everything adds up to zero.

by Anonymousreply 171July 9, 2018 5:40 AM

Hey fucknuckle, racism is a mental illness. Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 172July 9, 2018 5:50 AM

[quote]The mythological paradise of the 1950s never existed.

It kind of did for white straight men. They had it made in the 50s. Because they also lack the ability to empathize with anyone who isn't also a white male, they want to go back to that time whether it destroys the rest of the country or not.

by Anonymousreply 173July 9, 2018 6:04 AM

R172 - "fucknuckle"? NEW favorite word! I'm so tired of seeing "fuck off" in these threads. :)

by Anonymousreply 174July 9, 2018 6:04 AM

[quote] I am a secular academic liberal in an urban environment, and I am as American as anyone else. Why am I supposed to subordinate my facts to what people who lack education, experience and empathy believe?

The problem with the "I'm a liberal, urban intellectual, and I'm smarter and superior to the idiots in flyover country" mentality is that, as true as it might be, it ignores the reality of the Electoral College. Not all votes are equal. The "academic liberals in an urban environment" generally live in solidly blue states that don't decide presidential elections. You may be just as American as anyone else, but your vote for president is effectively meaningless. On the other hand, many of the "people who lack education, experience and empathy" live in the purple swing states that actually DO decide presidential elections. If we can't find a way to reach and persuade at least some of them (which may require some degree of compromise), we are destined to lose. And saying to them, "You're stupid, uneducated, and wrong. You need to believe what I believe because I'm smarter than you" is probably not an effective strategy for outreach and persuasion.

by Anonymousreply 175July 9, 2018 6:25 AM

I assume they're tired of the lies of the left. So they try the lies of the right.

by Anonymousreply 176July 9, 2018 10:44 AM

To paraphrase R175, they may seem unintelligent and inconsequential to secular academic liberals in an urban environment, but they're not so stupid they don't like being talked down to, particularly when they see themselves as just as American as everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 177July 9, 2018 11:46 AM

Bill Clinton resonated because, among many smart things he understood, he understood hand up, not hand out.

That is totally in synch with the American psyche. No one wants to believe they are poor and in need to government help, especially in this country. So Clinton talked about it as how government could help you help yourself.

He was optimistic and upward looking. Like Roosevelt. Roosevelt fundamentally believed the path of humankind was ever upward and it permeated everything he did. He was not, as so many Dems are, playing national social worker, despite all the policy he implemented that was crazy making to the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 178July 9, 2018 11:52 AM

Your looks go as you get older, so does common sense, intellect and empathy.

by Anonymousreply 179July 9, 2018 12:04 PM

[quote] The regressive left has turned many more conservative. I actually have more empathy now that I'm older. I find regressives to be lacking in empathy. Everything is abstract for them. I think also they know almost no history so they no nothing of repression in extreme leftist countries.

Was this composed using the official Breitbart alt-right thesaurus?? Because it checks off all the vocabulary: "regressive left", etc, though "cultural Marxism" is sorely missing... God, you trolls are getting lazier by the day.

by Anonymousreply 180July 9, 2018 12:07 PM

No, as we get older we believe personal responsibility is more important than the empathy we felt when we were younger. We look to what we've achieved and realized that discipline was most important.

by Anonymousreply 181July 9, 2018 12:15 PM

I made this just for you R163

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 9, 2018 12:19 PM

No R5 you are wrong.

While I was reading R3 I was thinking, "Damn I didn't think anybody else here feels like I do." It was nice to know I am not alone,

Maybe you have never had those emotions, but don't insinuate that other people don't have them, because I absolutely do.

by Anonymousreply 183July 9, 2018 12:21 PM

Seems to me it’s young people who scream about ‘libtards’ and perpetuate the many alt-right memes and obsessions so I don’t think conservatism is any more the preserve of older men. The new-nazis marching in Charlottesville were predominantly young.

We are seeing a general shift to the right amongst many white men because the power they have complacently assumed was theirs for good is being challenged. Inevitably. So there is a lot of fear and anger thinly disguised as performative ‘righteous’ pride. Trump has allowed the toxicity to come to the surface in the US and there are similar focal points in other countries, be it a person or a political issue.

Personally, the middle aged and older men I know are old style liberals ( before ‘neo’ was bolted on ) but then they would be because I wouldn’t want to have got through over half a century just to find myself surrounded by angry bigots.

by Anonymousreply 184July 9, 2018 12:32 PM

Boy, the "it's not bigotry, it's just realism" trolls have been busy on this thread. That must be a major rightwinger talking point.

by Anonymousreply 185July 9, 2018 12:53 PM

White men are scared and angry. They can't handle change.

by Anonymousreply 186July 9, 2018 2:16 PM

Fear of weakening and fear of dying

by Anonymousreply 187July 9, 2018 2:17 PM

Big penis envy.

by Anonymousreply 188July 9, 2018 2:43 PM

We condole you too, R183.

Are you angry and alienated, as well?

by Anonymousreply 189July 9, 2018 3:35 PM

I challenge OP's premise. Utter stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 190July 9, 2018 3:39 PM

[quote]If we can't find a way to reach and persuade at least some of them (which may require some degree of compromise), we are destined to lose. And saying to them, "You're stupid, uneducated, and wrong. You need to believe what I believe because I'm smarter than you" is probably not an effective strategy for outreach and persuasion.

If my outreach to the deplorables was that, I can see why they would object, but that's not how I (or anyone who wants them to vote Democratic) speaks to them or treats them or asks for their vote. And I think you know this, as evidenced by your parenthetical suggestion of compromise. Now, let me be clear, I'm willing to compromise on a lot of issues, but oddly, no one every tells [italic]them[/italic] that they need to compromise, on anything. The right has built and incredibly good PR machine and a state media that tells people who don't know any better and lack the wherewithal to figure it out on their own that politics is the art of compromise; hence, the GOP purity tests, the tea party/alt-right, and ultimately, Trump (which is comical in its own right, as he was supposed to be the great deal maker, and that 's one of the points they make when defending their vote for the guy who is about to take away everything that the government does to help them.)

To whit, are conservatives willing to compromise on abortion? Gay rights? Immigration? ...Anything?

So, I'll ask again: why do I have to subordinate facts to their beliefs? Why is it that when facts support my position, and even gives them a lot of what they want, do they still refuse to concede an argument and come to the negotiating table? Remember when they excoriated John Boehner in his negotiations with Obama, and he came out swinging saying that if he got 95% of what he wanted it was a productive meeting with the President, but that wasn't good enough for the tea party?

Here's a good example: conservatives say that they are the part of "law and order" and yet, when it's pointed out to them that the massive decline in crime, specifically violent crime committed by blacks, in the 90s was a direct result of granting abortion access in the 70s, they still refuse to even consider the point that maybe it's better for a child not to be born than to force birth upon an unwilling and unprepared woman who lacks the means to raise a child or children. (Of course, don't tell that to R163, who wants to simplistically believe that blacks had it better when they had no choice.) Why, you'd almost think that it was a conspiracy to keep the black community in its place.

The bottom line is that we have vast swaths of the country that have been inundated with the specific message that no matter what, whatever the Democrats want, it must be resisted. It goes beyond logic and reason, and descends into mere tribalism. And we've been in this position before, but didn't take the steps necessary to make sure that it never happens again. In fact, we coddled them and gave them even more influence over the course of the nation in an effort to "compromise." And 150+ years later, they refuse to concede the point, that black people are people, let alone equal. And now that's come to include anyone who isn't Christian, male, white and straight (in descending order of importance, although that's subject to regional and tribal interpretation).

by Anonymousreply 191July 9, 2018 4:04 PM

All the guns Americans have are to defend themselves from black men. That’s what’s behind it all. When they talk about a “tyrannical government” they mean one that abides by civil rights laws and forces busing. After legal segregation was outlawed in the south all the whites built private “Christian” schools for their kids. They hate liberals and democrats for forcing them to treat blacks almost as if they are equal. I still have “greatest generation” relatives who calmly say that parents should be allowed to decide where to send their children to school and where NOT to send their children to school. “If black people want their children to do as well as white children, let them get a job and pay for a good school.”

When free public education was started it was for poor whites in cities. The teens were running wild in the streets while their parents worked all day long in factories, on docks, in slaughterhouses. The parents were exhausted and didn’t have enough money or strength to get their kids off the streets, so public education was a way of getting wild kids into a setting controlled by adults. My grandparents all had 5th & 6th grade educations. In the 1930s there was a serious problem with adolescent crime in cities and the age for dropping out was switched to 16 and truant officers were used to make sure kids were in school. Too many absences and you’d get packed off to reform school.

Southerners weren’t happy that black children were being educated for free in public schools they paid for. The schools were all black due to segregation, but it irked whites that “tax revenuers” collected money from white wages to pay for black schools. When desegregation came along, southerners were determined to kill public education. They pay for their children to go to private schools and they pay for public schools for blacks and they hate that. That’s why they want charter schools and vouchers for private religious schools. So their money can go to white education and whites only. All this nonsense about charter schools and vouchers is a way for far right wing racists to get rid of public education because they don’t want to pay for blacks to go to school.

The collecting of guns started with desegregation. Whites racists kicked themselves for being outgunned by federal troops and they never want that to happen again. The destruction of public education looms large in the minds of white racists. They’re halfway there.

by Anonymousreply 192July 9, 2018 4:30 PM

It's not that they get more conservative. It's that they, like most of us, formed his ideas earlier in life and maintained them as the world changed.

A famous academic (and author of several best-selling books) once told me he was considered a (screaming/bleeding heart/crazy radical) liberal in the 1950's for his support of Adlai Stevenson and Hubert Humphrey and his opposition to Joe McCarthy. By the time he died about a decade ago, he was reviled as a racist neo-con apologist for the Bushes. Not that he gave a shit, but he was not.

His outlook didn't change. The world - and the ideas that animate it - do.

by Anonymousreply 193July 9, 2018 5:46 PM

Because OP they are the demographic that makes the most money and they want to keep it. Can't blame them I suppose though I can't admire them either.

by Anonymousreply 194July 9, 2018 8:31 PM

Greedy cunts, rarely does a person gain all of their dough from just making it with their own hands, the world around them helps.

by Anonymousreply 195July 9, 2018 9:11 PM

You bimbos still haven't explained why you want to radically change the demographics of the US so badly.

The Jews among you know exactly what you're doing, consolidating Jewish power with a desired, dumbed down US population of brown people.

But the rest of you are just being hoodwinked, and going along for the ride.

You bimbos think flyover country is full of dumb people, and that urban intellectuals are really smart. But liberal cities are the lowest IQ places in the entire country, full of intellectually handicapped brown people, and "urban intellectuals" who rationalize every dumb and anti-social thing that these brown idiots do.

by Anonymousreply 196July 9, 2018 9:32 PM

Jewish communists, aka "urban intellectuals" want the US to be a communist government, controlled by Jews like themselves, naturally. Free speech and difference of opinion triggers these neurotic, inbred Jews like nothing else.

These communist Jews/Red Diaper Babies know that only stupid people will support a communist dictatorship run by Jews, and this is why these Jews want to import as many low IQ 3rd worlders as they possibly can.

Communism has been a total disaster everywhere, but these "urban intellectuals" aren't nearly as smart and flexible as they pretend to be.

by Anonymousreply 197July 9, 2018 9:35 PM

Jews are only capable of living in a Judeo-centric framework. Whether that's a Jewish theocracy in Israel, or a Jewish dominated communist (Karl Marx) movement in the diaspora, Jews seethe in jealousy at the superior ideas upon which the US was founded and developed. All because the founding fathers weren't Jewish/Chosen. It's pathetic, but unspeakably dangerous to our way of life.

by Anonymousreply 198July 9, 2018 9:37 PM

Wow, glad that I blocked that insane freak

by Anonymousreply 199July 9, 2018 10:06 PM

R99, have you ever heard of corporate welfare? If a person earns $50,000.00 a year, $4,000.00 of his or her money funds goes to for-profit corporate subsidies.

by Anonymousreply 200July 9, 2018 10:13 PM

Thank you R192 it feels good to see the truth plainly stated these days.

by Anonymousreply 201July 9, 2018 10:21 PM

r201 the plain truth is that blacks commit violent crimes and property crimes at 700% the rate of non-black Americans. Defending oneself against such an ultra-violent culture is simply common sense.

If whites committed violent crimes at 700% of the rate that blacks do, you wouldn't call blacks racist for arming themselves for self-protection against the white menace.

Blacks also commit 90% of the inter-racial violence, aka hate crimes.

Why do I get the feeling you no longer appreciate the truth spoken plainly?

by Anonymousreply 202July 9, 2018 11:05 PM

[quote] the plain truth is that blacks commit violent crimes and property crimes at 700% the rate of non-black Americans.

Do you have a link to that statistic, and are we talking about crimes or arrests? Please provide a link, R202.

by Anonymousreply 203July 9, 2018 11:35 PM

r196, Though your racist as fuck I myself as a black man see that the underclass, which is highly black and brown, is reproducing like crazy. This is not a good thing. Many of these people are low iq dolts. The best and brightest are not leading the way. And don't feed me republican talking points because they don't even want easy access to birth control.

by Anonymousreply 204July 9, 2018 11:40 PM

I've seen it with older men in my family. Guys who were all about talking a good game about "We need the ERA" back when there was no chance of it happening, guys who talk about marching for civil rights. But then again, they were always a little more into the "what helps me as a straight white guy" side of the left (legalizing marijuana, resisting war).

My impression is it's partly a crisis of the ego and entitlement of being a white male, suddenly meeting the reality of feeling oneself slide down into a "subgroup".

Suddenly you're aging out of physical superiority, getting replaced by younger people at work, not being as attractive. People who are used to be a "subgroup" like blacks, gays, women, are flexible and strong enough to deal with that. People who have never had that kind of place in society get extra freaked out when they see those groups suddenly being prioritized, even if it's in a shallow or transitory way, like the #metoo or black lives matter movements.

by Anonymousreply 205July 9, 2018 11:40 PM

OP, how many white men you know? Compared to Hispanic men? Black men? Biracial Men, Asian men? NA men?

OP, if you would stop being bitter about being an old black woman and see yourself by your character this racial preoccupational trolling would cease.

by Anonymousreply 206July 9, 2018 11:42 PM

[quote] Defending oneself against such an ultra-violent culture is simply common sense. If whites committed violent crimes at 700% of the rate that blacks do, you wouldn't call blacks racist for arming themselves for self-protection against the white menace.

According to this study by the government (Bureau of Justice Statistics), most of the crimes against whites were committed by whites. Only 15% were committed by blacks and 11% by Hispanics. So there is absolutely no justification for white people to "arm themselves for self-protection against the black menace." Your claim of rampant interracial crime involving black criminals and white victims is simply untrue.

[quote] Some 57 percent of crimes involving white victims were committed by white perpetrators, while only 15 percent were committed by blacks, and 11 percent by Hispanics. Black crime victims fell along similar racial lines, with 63 percent of the crimes committed by black perpetrators, while 11 percent were committed by whites, and 6.6 percent by Hispanics.

[quote] Overall, the BJS reported, “the percentage of intraracial [that is, same-race] victimization was higher than the percentage of interracial victimization for all types of violent crime except robbery.”

[quote] Moreover, it explained, “the rate of white-on-white violent crime (12.0 per 1,000) was about four times higher than black-on-white violent crime (3.1 per 1,000). The rate of black-on-black crime (16.5 per 1,000) was more than five times higher than white-on-black violent crime (2.8 per 1,000). The rate of Hispanic-on-Hispanic crime (8.3 per 1,000) was about double the rate of white-on-Hispanic (4.1 per 1,000) and black-on-Hispanic (4.2 per 1,000) violent crime.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 9, 2018 11:43 PM

Fucking whore @R16/OP. Who are these white people? Take the bus from your project apartment you hardly ever leave and get some meds for your OCD obsession.

by Anonymousreply 208July 9, 2018 11:49 PM

I'm a white privilege recipient for 64 years. Our days are numbered, and some can't stand that.

by Anonymousreply 209July 10, 2018 12:35 AM

R143 Seems like a reasonable liberal but I must ask them this. Why is that California and cities like San Francisco, while being some the richest economies in the world with liberal leadership, have such a comparatively poor standard of living for the majority of its residents. Where are all those tax dollars going? They are certainly not benefiting the majority.

by Anonymousreply 210July 10, 2018 12:40 AM

When you're lectured by a 16 year old that you must not use the "him" and "her" words, and when men pretending to be women are allowed to use women's bathrooms that's when you say enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 211July 10, 2018 12:45 AM

R184 I'd argue part of the disconnect comes not from the fact that they took their privilege for granted, but from the fact that they are growing up at a time where they have to struggle and work harder than any previous generation (College education no longer guarantees employment). Now couple this with having to hear toxic rhetoric from the left about how it's all their fault because of their race. The democrats are actually counting on the fact that they won't remember how much easier it was to get by for all races at a time.

by Anonymousreply 212July 10, 2018 12:46 AM

R212 To add to that, a lot of them are realizing that this shouldn't be the case. It shouldn't be normal to have no job security, an inflationary economy that doesn't keep pace with wages, and having to live with multiple roommates.

by Anonymousreply 213July 10, 2018 12:49 AM

R209 I keep hearing that in various threads here at DL: "the white man's days are numbered."

"Whitey is about to be replaced and he is losing his shit about it."

"The time is coming when the brown man will be in the majority and the white man is scared to death."

Can you show me any evidence or any example of the white population falling below the black and brown population and becoming irrelevant and losing their power? Where has this ever happened in world history? Why do you think that the white man will no longer run things even if the population skews heavily brown?

The only place which has undergone something on that order is South Africa, but that is being done by force and is in no way democratically determined. That country is headed for the exact same disastrous outcome as all the other African nations which shooed out the white man and were taken over by greedy brutal black dictators(who are far worse than the colonials were in most people's judgment.)

When is this going to happen? Why do I feel positive that it will never work? Oh I know...because I lived in New Orleans and watched it be ruined by less than well intentioned black mayors and their cronies.

There are a lot of things which I AM worried about, but this is around #155 on the list.

by Anonymousreply 214July 10, 2018 12:57 AM

I hate to admit it but r214 is right. Many of you should read Guns, Germs, and Steel.

by Anonymousreply 215July 10, 2018 1:01 AM

r214 It's happening in the USA and it's happening by force. If Hillary Clinton had one the borders would be wide open like they were under Obama, except only non-whites would be encouraged to move here.

Just look at Germany and Europe, r214. Do you think the German people voted to open their borders and set themselves up for being a minority white country in the next 40 years?

Jews run the USA, r214, just like they run South Africa. And white genocide is the goal in the US and Europe, just like it's the goal-in-progress in South Africa. Jews behind the scenes in South Africa encourage blacks and black politicians to incite anti-white racism, violence, and slow motion ethnic cleansing.

Do you really think Jews in the US or Europe are going to stop demonizing white people when they drop to 49% and become an official minority?

Jews still blame white people for all of the Jewish problems in Europe over the past 1,000 years, including the Holocaust. Revenge and collective guilt are Jewish values, but you'll never find forgiveness or self-criticism being promoted as being Jewish values. Look at their holidays and religious texts. It's all about revenge and successful genocides against the infidels.

Meanwhile they want to keep Israel as Jewish as possible, because they know damn well that ethnic nationalism is always going to be the most powerful organizing force. That's how they got control of the US and Europe in the first place, ethnic cronyism and quiet, unified aggression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 10, 2018 1:59 AM

Here's a black guy talking about how blacks are going to slaughter whites in the US just like South Africa if we let them. They already commit 90% of the inter-racial crimes, no matter if the majority of most crimes are intra-racial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 10, 2018 2:15 AM

Good God. DataLounge really has become a far-right white nationalist site, hasn't it? I miss the good old days of DL, when the conservative trolls pretended to be gay and liberal and were sometimes kind of fun. Now, it's just pure, unapologetic alt-right, racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic bullshit, complete with links to far-right news sites and crazy nutcases on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 218July 10, 2018 2:28 AM

Nah, it really hasn't, R218. It's just a vocal few idiots and bigots. F&F them or ignore them and move on.

by Anonymousreply 219July 10, 2018 2:30 AM

Just about all of the real batshit bigotry on this thread is coming from just four posters so, no, this isn't a far-right white nationalist site. It's just the usual tactics of persistently and repeatedly posting their stupid shit in hopes that they can drive enough good people away to turn DL into their own special home.

by Anonymousreply 220July 10, 2018 2:38 AM

Just look at the term "White Privilege". Jews make about twice the income as white people, but we never hear about Jewish Privilege. Jews would never put up with that, out of tribal self-service. At most Jews will occasionally say that white Jews benefit from white privilege.

The fact is the vast majority of white privilege is actually Jewish privilege, which is why you can't talk about it. If white people actually had the privilege, you wouldn't be able to bash white people and scapegoat them for everybody's problems.

by Anonymousreply 221July 10, 2018 2:54 AM

[quote] Just about all of the real batshit bigotry on this thread is coming from just four posters

I'm pretty sure one of them is Susan Olsen.

by Anonymousreply 222July 10, 2018 2:55 AM

Yay, I see gaps of like seven posters at a time. This thread really brought out loonies

by Anonymousreply 223July 10, 2018 2:56 AM

r221, maybe the hysterical racist on some of these comments but what he said there is 100% true.

by Anonymousreply 224July 10, 2018 10:37 AM

They aren't worrying about being talked down to and condescended to, as Trump did both with abandon. On the contrary, the left should be much nastier in talking to and about these people. They don't respond to arguments, merely confrontation.

by Anonymousreply 225July 11, 2018 3:48 AM

R218 Caftans, earrings.

by Anonymousreply 226July 11, 2018 5:14 AM

White people have been brainwashed by the PC Left into hating themselves and showing any inkling of pride in your European culture is considered RAY SIS.

by Anonymousreply 227July 11, 2018 5:28 AM

FF r227

by Anonymousreply 228July 11, 2018 8:24 AM

[quote] I am concervative because I believe in family...

This was part of a screed my Deplorable nephew (of age 20!) put on his Facebook page. He removed it pretty soon thereafter, before I could even read the comments. He is actually a Conservative to engender approval from his Deplorable father, who is a fearful, angry, hateful, lazy, racist, tax-cheating liar; and resents having to work for a living as most everybody else must.

(He’s claimed to be a CPA for 30 years, but he’s not. He’s an accounting graduate, and there’s a difference. I can’t imagine lying to your inlaws about such a thing. And it speaks to his character - what else does he lie about? Everything, I learned. Especially related to status. I despise him now. The Trump/Fox revolution brought all this to the fore.)

by Anonymousreply 229July 11, 2018 4:08 PM

They realize what works, and what doesn't.

Giving everything away to the masses sounds grand but who is going to pay for it all ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 11, 2018 4:18 PM

How largth arth their thcocksth?

by Anonymousreply 231July 11, 2018 4:21 PM

When you have more, materially, to protect, you tend to become more conservative. And statistically, old white men are the wealthiest group in our society.

But in many cases it's also that old people find it more difficult to change with the times, and are still hanging out to the outmoded beliefs they grew up with.

That said, not all old white men, etc. Some old white men are way cool and some young people massively suck.

by Anonymousreply 232July 11, 2018 4:27 PM

[quote]They realize what works, and what doesn't.

Yup, like Medicare.

by Anonymousreply 233July 11, 2018 4:39 PM

Women and their manipulative ways is why I fuck men. Most are all sneaky cunts.

by Anonymousreply 234July 11, 2018 4:40 PM

Analogy I found interesting.

Friends Julie Jones and Susan Smith grew up in the same neighborhood and end up going to the same college 2 states away. In May, Julie comes home for the summer. Her parents ask her about her first year there. She proudly informs them that not only does she have a 3.9 but she made the dean' list. Her mom asks her about her social life at school; does she go out much ? Is she dating anyone special ? Lots of parties etc ? "Oh no mom. I've been so busy studying, wanting to be sure that I earned good grades that I really didn't have time for all that," she advises her parents.

"Hey, how did your friend Susan Smith do her first year ?," her dad inquires. "To tell you the truth," Julie began, continuing, "I hope that she doesn't drop out or get tossed out for failing. Susan was out all the time partying. Missed a lot of classes, I think she barely had something like a 2.0 average."

"Julie, you've got a good average, why don't you give some of grade point to Susan so that she'll stay in the running ?," her father asks. "DAD !," Julie exclaimed, "Why should I ? I worked very very hard to get those grades ! I stayed in, studied. I put my social life on hold so that I could do what was I thought was right to get ahead. Susan could've done the same but she was out every night, acted like she didn't give a damn. Why should I give her what I worked so hard for ? "

"Well Nancy," the father says to the mother, his wife, "it sounds like out Julie is going to be a Republican just like us. Welcome to the Republican party Julie !"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 11, 2018 4:50 PM

What I find interesting is that you found that to be such a compelling "analogy" that you saw fit to post it here, despite the fact that it's genuinely stupid and doesn't apply to any situation in real life.

by Anonymousreply 236July 11, 2018 4:57 PM

[quote] miss the good old days of DL, when the conservative trolls pretended to be gay and liberal and were sometimes kind of fun. Now, it's just pure, unapologetic alt-right, racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic bullshit, complete with links to far-right news sites and crazy nutcases on YouTube.

You can thank Milo for that. He sent his teenybopper shitposters out on the net, hitting forums, message boards and comment sections. The vast majority of sites that eliminated comment sections did so because of hateful shit posting by boys who loved the power they had when they posted racist, homophobic, antisemitic garbage.

by Anonymousreply 237July 11, 2018 4:57 PM

Oops, I forgot “misogynistic.” That’s a very big part of their act. And incels wonder why women won’t fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 238July 11, 2018 5:03 PM

My lil ole heads is going to implode !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 11, 2018 5:06 PM

R235, your analogy is so stupid that you should be embarrassed by your lack of critical thinking skills. I think you are beyond hope, sadly. I would suggest, though, that you turn off Fox and similar fascist propaganda, because you will not recover if you are being regularly manipulated by those people. I am rather certain about that. It might take at least a full year after you have left the Fox/Trump cult before you are at all capable of being educated, but stick with it.

I am sure there is a part of ever Conservative that KNOWS that Fox and Trump regularly lies to them. They just don’t care, but it is this little kernel of truth that provides a life preserver that might save some of these people. (I can’t count the number of times a conservative has excused the horrific lies they are told and that they half-believe, by their belief that “it’s okay, because they all lie”. It’s not okay. They don’t all lie like the Right does, and the remedy isn’t to choose to believe the liars who tell lies you prefer, the remedy is to choose to not believe anyone you know to be lying to you.)

by Anonymousreply 240July 11, 2018 5:50 PM

R240

Back at you dear. Several years into the Trump administration and yet I see people like yourself fervently posting things about him on a daily basis. Get over it !

by Anonymousreply 241July 11, 2018 6:09 PM

Suck it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 11, 2018 6:16 PM

I can't handle this and am afraid my lil head will blow up !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 11, 2018 6:49 PM

R233: They realize what works, and what doesn't.

"Yup, like Medicare."

Which they paid for, in advance, over the course of half-a-century while working at the rate of 2.9% of earned income (0.9% more if you make over $200K) before being charged $135 a month for Medicare in retirement. That's hardly "Giving it all away."

by Anonymousreply 244July 11, 2018 7:23 PM

Correction:

Why do RICH people get more conservative as they get older?

Black wealthy people are conservative unless they're in hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 245July 11, 2018 7:42 PM

(R207) How DARE you use actual facts and statistics in this discussion? Many posters here are completely content to make up their facts as they go along and hope that no one will bother to research the bullshit they are spouting.....

by Anonymousreply 246July 11, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote]and then time after time you are told to shut up when you actually support the cause you get jaded as fuck.

well maybe they are fed up with your continual mansplaining of shit. you know, where you are in with like-minded people, but then go on to hog or dominate the conversation and feel the need to explain obvious stuff to them, even if they clearly don't need or want to hear it. A pointed problem with many white men.

[quote]Can you show me any evidence or any example of the white population falling below the black and brown population and becoming irrelevant and losing their power? Where has this ever happened in world history? Why do you think that the white man will no longer run things even if the population skews heavily brown?

It is happening here in the US, by 2050 or so whites will be less than 50%. Concurrent with that will be a higher level of the power-sharing with non-whites. It won't be like in SA (used in your example at r214), where the disenfranchised racial minorities had to take power by force. It will be done here by democratic means, and socio-economic ones as well.

Non-whites are not only increasing their base numbers, but gaining larger shares of the economic pie every year. There is also large increasing numbers of interracial births and marriages - further blurring the racial lines. Why would you (or anyone else here) think that the empowerment of non-whites will be only negative? Things won't look much different - better or worse - than they now do under white male control.

And no one is saying whites (esp white men) will lose ALL their power or control. They will still be quite powerful for years to come. They will only have to move over somewhat, and SHARE power with women and non-whites. Learn to compromise, listen, cooperate. That can only be a positive thing. It's happening now.

by Anonymousreply 247July 11, 2018 8:27 PM

[quote] They will only have to move over somewhat, and SHARE power with women and non-whites. Learn to compromise, listen, cooperate.

Their resistance to this explains Trump in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 248July 11, 2018 8:33 PM

r247 Jews and Hindi Indians are the top two earning ethnic groups in the US. Whites are tied for 3rd with East Asians. This idea that white men have all the power is grossly outdated, and ultimately a form of anti-white bigotry.

Jews created this narrative about whites having all the power, to protect Jews from the proper scrutiny and responsibility to society. Jews only feel responsible for other Jews, so they will deny their own power for as long as they possibly can, and pussies like you will help them hide, for fear of being called anti-semitic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 11, 2018 8:50 PM

Jews Jew-splain away their cronyism and mafia tactics by pointing to their high (109) average IQ scores. But only Jews are allowed to point to IQ scores as explanation for their success.

Whites have an average IQ score of about 100, and black Americans have an avg IQ score of 85.

But woe is the white goy who points to that huge average IQ difference between blacks and whites to explain white success. That is RAY CISS!!!, and only Jews can point to their average IQ scores, not whites.

by Anonymousreply 250July 11, 2018 8:55 PM

[quote]Back at you dear. Several years into the Trump administration and yet I see people like yourself fervently posting things about him on a daily basis. Get over it !

So you got called on your bullshit and this was the best you could do? And you couldn't even identify a single thing wrong with what people are "fervently posting ... about him on a daily basis," which means that you were basically doubling down on the bullshit.

And this is your idea of an effective response? You need help. Badly.

by Anonymousreply 251July 11, 2018 9:03 PM

Jews are so powerful over our media and school system that they've convinced us that Jewish power is an impossibility, and merely an old anti-semitic trope that could never possibly be true.

And that's symbolic of the anti-intellectual, anti-free speech corrosive effect that our Jewish hostile elite have had on the US.

by Anonymousreply 252July 11, 2018 9:04 PM

[quote]Which they paid for, in advance, over the course of half-a-century while working at the rate of 2.9% of earned income (0.9% more if you make over $200K) before being charged $135 a month for Medicare in retirement. That's hardly "Giving it all away."

By that logic, nothing would fit into that genuinely stupid statement that R230 wrote, "Giving everything away to the masses sounds grand...." Which is fine with me since it was, in fact, a genuinely stupid statement.

As for Medicare, since it does what it does better and cheaper than the private alternatives, even most of the older conservatives support it. After all, they know what works.

by Anonymousreply 253July 11, 2018 9:08 PM

Consevacunts are greedy shitheads. impossible to talk to and ugly

by Anonymousreply 254July 11, 2018 10:15 PM

R246

Maybe they're from cities with a large African American population.

by Anonymousreply 255July 11, 2018 10:39 PM

MY PUSSY IS WET

by Anonymousreply 256July 11, 2018 10:40 PM

According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of African Americans victims were killed by African Americans.[48][49][50]

In 2013, number and percentage of murder arrests by race were:

Black or African Americans 4,379 = 51.3% White Americans (non-Hispanic Americans) 2,861 = 33.5% Hispanic Americans 1,096 = 12.8% American Indians or Alaska Natives 98 = 1.14% Asian Americans 101 = 1.18%[51][52] Inversely, the percentage of individuals in each racial demographic arrested for murder in 2013 (with 2016 population estimates) was:

0.0102% of Black or African American population (4,379/42,975,959) 0.0023% of American Indian or Alaska Native population (98/4,200,658) 0.0019% Hispanic American population (1,096/57,516,697) 0.0014% of White American (3,799/198,077,165) 0.001% of Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander population (6/646,255) 0.0005% of Asian American population (101/18,418,268)[51][53]

by Anonymousreply 257July 11, 2018 10:53 PM

R247 I don't doubt that whites will be sharing power with Jews and East Indians. And for the record, I consider Jews to be "white."

What I was responding to in my post was the relatively new sentiment being expressed by black Americans who are predicting that whitey is going down just as he has in S.A. and the black man will be taking over. I can't see that ever happening in the US because"

A, there are not enough of them

B. No one but them will support them in elections unless another unicorn such as Obama is found(I was one who voted for him twice) but there just aren't many Obamas in the US.

by Anonymousreply 258July 11, 2018 11:15 PM

They screw everything up. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 259July 11, 2018 11:19 PM

Actually, what the Republican/deplorables really fear and are desperately trying to control are the Latinos in the U.S. You can build a wall. You can even deport us. But we are winning.

I'm so glad to still be alive. I've waited all my life for this.

by Anonymousreply 260July 11, 2018 11:51 PM

r260 Latinos were 2-3% of the US population 60 years ago. Why are you hostile to the country that has let Latinos in in such huge numbers?

Your hostility and ethnic nationalism are actually just reminders that letting so many of you in was a bad idea, and that kicking you out would be rational and an act of self-defense.

r260 It's clear that you didn't come to the US to assimilate, you came here to conquer.

by Anonymousreply 261July 12, 2018 12:04 AM

Liberal Mexican-Born White-Blaming Trump Hater Wakes Up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 12, 2018 12:09 AM

actually I suspect that there will be an attempt to define more and more Latinos as "white" in the future, just to ensure that "white" remains a majority. People pretend these categories are set, but they never really have been. The Irish, Italians, and Eastern Europeans (especially the dreaded JAHOOOOOOOS), have all had "whiteness" conferred upon them in the course of this country's history.

by Anonymousreply 263July 12, 2018 12:14 AM

[quote] Your hostility and ethnic nationalism are actually just reminders that letting so many of you in was a bad idea, and that kicking you out would be rational and an act of self-defense.

[quote][R260] It's clear that you didn't come to the US to assimilate, you came here to conquer.

Didn't we all?

by Anonymousreply 264July 12, 2018 1:45 AM

r258 where are you hanging around? Because I have many black friends and not a single one espouses the desire to see "whitey go down" and they themselves take over. How bizarre.

But that's because my friends are all educated middle & upper -mid class blacks, who don't think that way and don't have to, since there numbers are growing fast and they know the inevitable shifts will automatically bring them more social-economic and political power, that they know they will - share- with whites and other races.

That is the future: as more non-whites move into the middle & upper classes and pass down inherited wealth & privilege -mimicking what whites have done for ages - so too their power share will grow. Which isn't negative.

btw Obama was one of these types - a "brown" man (biracial) who lived and thought more like a middle class white man than the mid class white men in my family. Hardly the radical racialist the detractors make him out to be.

by Anonymousreply 265July 12, 2018 1:54 AM

Based on his posts, R258 is hanging out in his own private fantasyland, given that nothing he describes matches the real world.

by Anonymousreply 266July 12, 2018 1:59 AM

r265 Obama was still a racialist even though he grew up as a white upper middle class boy with even more privileges, because of things like Affirmative Action and because the Dems wanted a black president.

Obama was a racialist because he had an identity crisis. His black father was nothing but a sperm donor, and white people did everything for him. They raised him, educated him, and made him president. But Obama looked different from his fellow whites, and this created a big identity crisis in Obama. And the more Obama resented being just another fatherless black kid, the more he hated the white race who gave him everything.

This kind of identity crisis is extremely common. Even Malcolm X was a very light-skinned black guy with major identity issues because of it.

by Anonymousreply 267July 12, 2018 2:09 AM

Good grief Dr. Wacko, where did you get that diagnosis. Obama never hated and doesn't hate white people. He spends more time with whites and is daresay more comfortable with them than blacks. Any minor identity crisis he encountered in his youth was long past when he became President.

He didn't win in 2008 because 'Dems wanted a black President'. Don't be an idiot - they wanted a progressive president, after the ling corrupt desert years of W. Bush. And, I daresay - they wanted a MALE president. The U.S. wasn't ready for Hilary then, and still weren't 8 years later.

by Anonymousreply 268July 12, 2018 2:28 AM

Bernie's Party paid for me, a white male, to go to a top grad school because they thought I could be a leader in the left movement. For me, it was the beginning of the end of my affiliation with politics.

I couldn't really participate because so many of the people I was supposed to work with were extremely incompetent, and lacked basic social, business and organizational skills. Frankly many of them didn't bathe regularly. I knew progressive politics were going to be scuttled by the inability of its leadership to treat even people within the movement like fellow humans.

I'm still really dismayed at the amount of influence business interests have over all of society. It's as if the point of view of business and money are the only things that matter now. This perspective is more common with young adults than it was 20 years ago.

Boomers began the identity politics movement, and what was a general kumbaya spirit of live-and-let-live and concern for the perspectives and needs of others has turned into a bizarre social justice war mongering monster of invidiousness among their children.

I saw this starting in grad school (and so did my professors), as younger students seemed to think that everything bad in the world was caused by individuals making poor decisions. They didn't care to grapple intellectually with the political economy. There doesn't seem to be much understanding or discussion of the institutional roots of social problems. It's as if everything stems from the improper use of language or bad individual behavior, and everybody who isn't a carbon copy of themselves is branded an enemy.

My empathy is still strong, but with life experience I've learned that some individuals and groups deserve more attention and resources than others, including some groups that I used to feel deserved attention and now I don't. I also have a stronger sense that there needs to be more attention to lawful and ethical behavior, but ethics and lawful behavior are at a low point.

by Anonymousreply 269July 12, 2018 2:29 AM

Let's keep your idiotic little story going, R235...

Julie and Susan are now 40 years old. Julie just got hit by a bus because she was too busy with her phone to pay attention when she stepped out into traffic. After a long recovery, Julie is semi-mobile but has lost her job and is now on disability for the rest of her life but can't afford to feed herself and her kids (the ones she had when she was doing well with her ex-husband who turned out to be a deadbeat), so she's also getting SNAP benefits with additional supplements for her kids. She has trouble finding doctors who will see her because SSDI doesn't pay much so she goes to the tax-payer supported clinic. She was lucky in one way. When her house caught fire last winter because she had to use space heaters because the heat bill was too high even using their publicly funded help program for low income customers in winter, the taxpayer-funded fire department was there in almost no time at all and saved her from becoming homeless.

Summer is coming and she's worried because those free breakfasts and lunches that her kids count on during school months won't be there for the summer. The food budget is going to be hard this summer. The charitable food pantry will save her and her kids this summer. Thankfully, she just got her card for discounted public transportation in the mail from the publicly supported Post Office or she wouldn't be able to even get to the food pantry. She's so happy that her friend from college, Susan, lives in the same condo complex and helps watch the kids on occasion because childcare is too expensive.

Speaking of Susan, she now lives modestly in the condo she just bought last year. She's never made much money but she didn't have any kids and has been doing okay. After her expenses this year, she's been able to save some money. She's going on vacation next week. She has to remember to tell Julie she won't be able to watch the kids at all next week. She's glad they've remained friends. Julie has had it rough since college. Susan is glad she's in a position to help her out when she can.

------------------------------------------------------

So, asshole at R235, the lesson here is that you never know how your life is going to turn out, which is why social safety nets exist for EVERYONE. Those who never have to use them should be thankful and grateful that they are there if they ever do need them. They should also be thankful that they are in the position to contribute to the common care of their fellow human beings and content in the knowledge that if something unexpected and tragic were to befall them, the contributions of their fellow human beings would help them, too.

Now, please go get hit by a bus.

by Anonymousreply 270July 12, 2018 2:43 AM

Racists have THEORIES, dammit. Everyone RESPECT THE THEORIES.

by Anonymousreply 271July 12, 2018 2:46 AM

I think we're at a generation that largely hasn't saved - a lot of boomers are still punching the time clock because they can't afford to retire. Throw in politicians wasting money and blaming it on social spending (i.e. poor people), then you get a situation where resentment grows. Cons are pretty good at playing this game.

by Anonymousreply 272July 12, 2018 2:47 AM

Nobody saves because we've built, quite purposely, an economy based on debt. The constant back and forth between, SAVE but also GO INTO DEBT TO BUY SHIT is very much a feature, not a bug.

by Anonymousreply 273July 12, 2018 2:49 AM

That too, R273.

by Anonymousreply 274July 12, 2018 2:50 AM

Shitty lot for all of us

by Anonymousreply 275July 12, 2018 5:31 PM

R265 What exactly in my post @R258 indicates that I am not a resident of the real world? I am not interested in your cut and paste roundup of any other posts I have made, unless they are in this thread.

If you will do this one thing, I will answer the questioned posited to me as to "who are you hanging out with?" which I guarantee will surprise both of you. I have an incredible access to the thought and feelings of lower echelon American black people.

by Anonymousreply 276July 12, 2018 6:00 PM

r276 I don't know about other posts here or elsewhere, b/c I don't use the thread functions to check. So can't comment on that. However will hone in on your statement in r258 re a "relatively new sentiment being expressed by black Americans" ..."predicting that whitey is going down just as he has in S.A. and the black man will be taking over." A sentiment expressed by ALL black Americans -? or just a segment of them. Because - as explained - the many educated mid income black people I've known for decades never expressed any such notion.

You note in r276 that you're highly familiar with the thoughts of "lower echelon Black American people". Were you trying to state that these were the people you were referring to - ? Just to clarify. Because that's not "All" black Americans. That's a distinct subgroup.

(I believe you know them and that they may have expressed those ideas to you, for the record. My point was they hardly represent all blacks.)

Re your two points at r258: agree with A) - correct imo, there aren't large enough numbers for any kind of 'takeover'. I remain confused on the meaning of B) - are you implying that unless another black President or black major politico arrives, their ideas will be unsupported? Or that Obama supported the idea of a "black takeover, bringing whitey down" - ? Because I never recall him in 8 years stating or implying any such thing - you'll have to post quotes where he ever implied wanting this, a 'black takeover' .

It's a bit racist to imply that Obama - or any current black politician - supports a 'takeover/uprising' simply because of their blackness (if that's implied). Most current black politicians know they will share power at best. The most oft expressed wish is for a larger share of it, but that's not new or hardly "taking others down". Requesting a larger share from the group in power is not diminishing or destroying them (this applies to all non-whites, and non-males as well btw).

As stated, Obama's never done anything but exhibit a distinct huge affinity for white people. He's likely golfing with a bunch of them right now as I type.

by Anonymousreply 277July 12, 2018 6:39 PM

I stopped reading these last several posts. This thread has become a giant waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 278July 13, 2018 12:05 AM

[quote]R265 What exactly in my post @R258 indicates that I am not a resident of the real world?

Um, everything? As in nothing you write bears any resemblance to anything in the real world. Unless, of course, your goal was to reveal that you're an ignorant bigot, in which case, hey, mission accomplished!

[quote]I am not interested in your cut and paste roundup of any other posts I have made, unless they are in this thread.

I didn't even check other threads but the fact that you felt compelled to write this speaks volumes about your other posts. But, alas, I don't care enough to check.

[quote]If you will do this one thing, I will answer the questioned posited to me as to "who are you hanging out with?" which I guarantee will surprise both of you. I have an incredible access to the thought and feelings of lower echelon American black people.

LOL... I love this. There is no way that I could make you look any worse than you just did with this paragraph. Thank you for confirming what you are.

by Anonymousreply 279July 13, 2018 12:10 AM
by Anonymousreply 280July 13, 2018 8:00 PM

Jackasses

by Anonymousreply 281July 15, 2018 6:47 PM

Because white men, for centuries, have had no reason to grow or adapt to a society that catered to their every whim. That's ending and they are pissed that they couldn't live during a time when their worship went unquestioned by larger society.

by Anonymousreply 282July 15, 2018 6:51 PM

Liberal - from the Latin root, libre meaning 'free'

Also, a dirty, disgusting word in the USA, where they believe, the right of centre, Democrats, are a 'liberal' political party. As the kids say, LOL

by Anonymousreply 283July 15, 2018 7:11 PM

r282 worships hot straight white men, but hates himself for it. So he hates straight white men in response to his own worship of them and his own self-hatred for it.

You couldn't pay r282 to move to a non-white country for more than a year. But if you could, r282 would quickly learn that those brown men have also been unchallenged in their own society for thousands of years.

by Anonymousreply 284July 15, 2018 7:43 PM

[quote]I have an incredible access to the thought and feelings of lower echelon American black people.

LOL.

I hope and pray this joins the ranks of the likes of "I've had sufficient."

by Anonymousreply 285July 15, 2018 10:07 PM

[quote][R282] worships hot straight white men, but hates himself for it. So he hates straight white men in response to his own worship of them and his own self-hatred for it.

I'm a lesbian, genius. Back to your basement!

by Anonymousreply 286July 15, 2018 10:14 PM

I'm a white gay guy and I'm noticing I'm getting more and more conservative with each passing year. I think "anarchist" might be a better word for it, actually. I'll have no kids, I will never have a partner, my pets all died, so I don't really care what happens to the world after I die. Maybe that's solipsism creeping in? Or just general fatigue at seeing the right-wingers win all over the world, I don't know. I just know that I'm tired and I dont't care about anything anymore.

by Anonymousreply 287July 15, 2018 10:44 PM

That's not conservatism, R287, that's depression and nihilism.

by Anonymousreply 288July 16, 2018 12:17 AM

r287 conservatism can give you some of the purpose you've been lacking. Congrats on your awakening. Future generations thank you.

by Anonymousreply 289July 16, 2018 12:35 AM

R284

Troll Alert

by Anonymousreply 290July 16, 2018 10:14 PM

Well duh, R290. We didn't even need the red tag to see that one. It's a pretty stupid, not to mention obvious, troll.

by Anonymousreply 291July 17, 2018 1:57 AM

Selfish twats

by Anonymousreply 292July 17, 2018 7:40 PM

R19 Most Mexicans are mestizo and would never be mistaken for white. This is what they tend to look like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293July 21, 2018 10:11 PM

R19 most latinos are mestizo and look it.

by Anonymousreply 294July 21, 2018 10:13 PM

Trolls

by Anonymousreply 295July 22, 2018 11:00 PM

Most Mexicans are better than most DL posters

by Anonymousreply 296July 23, 2018 3:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!