Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The story behind the homoeroticism of "The Wild, Wild West"

It's pretty well understood that the most homoerotiv show of the 1960s was "the Wid, Wild West." Starring Robert Conrad, every episode seemed to show our hero either tied up or shirtless (or both). He also wore the tightest pants in creations and the show featured ass shot after ass shot.

Why did the network executives make a show that was so blatantly homoerotic in the 1960s, when homoeroticism was so frowned upon? How did they know to star a closeted and angry little S&M musclequeen like Conrad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257July 23, 2018 6:49 PM

S&M muscle queen ? More details please!

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2018 12:37 AM

Everyone on datalounge knows Robert Conrad hired rough trase, r1. And by rough I mean ROUGH.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2018 12:38 AM

It's amazing how many gays of a certain age will name Conrad when asked what TV or movie star made them question their sexuality. He may have been an asshole, but he was unquestionably sex on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2018 12:38 AM

Deary Think you mean rough trade . That being said he was almost as gay as Liberace was.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2018 12:39 AM

Back in the day they didn't understand 'homoeroticism' so they simple put Robert Conrad in very tight clothes and let him do his thing. Anything to garner good ratings.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2018 12:42 AM

A TV male sex symbol in a more naïve time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2018 12:44 AM

From the title of this thread I thought OP was going to tell us why. Truth in advertising, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2018 12:45 AM

You really think I purposefully set out to mislead you, r7? Oh, go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2018 12:48 AM

A bit of an overreaction dear.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2018 12:50 AM

OP = Robert Conrad (with anger issues)

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2018 12:53 AM

Looks like an homage to Quaintance, r6.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2018 12:54 AM

Many of the tv westerns were about beefcack with all those Henry Willson characters and Wild, Wild West was meant to be tongue in cheek, so of course, it was homoerotic.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2018 12:57 AM

A gay man's dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2018 12:57 AM

This, Bewitched, Dark Shadows... being a young gayling must have been heaven from 64-70.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2018 12:58 AM

Not to mention Brian Kelly from Flipper, the three (four, actually) Barkley Boys on The Big Valley, etc.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2018 1:01 AM

Well, where [italic]is[/italic] "the story behind the homoeroticism of The Wild, Wild West," r8?

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2018 1:09 AM

R14 To quote the great William Wordsworth : "Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive. But to be young was very heaven."

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2018 1:27 AM

I remember an episode of Columbo where is appeared in a bathing suit in a scene with Peter Falk that seemed to last at least 15 minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2018 1:55 AM

Roberts Conrad and Fuller (from “Laramie”) could have had an ass-off. Fuller’s cakes were just as luscious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2018 2:15 AM

Speaking of Laramie, that show was the original Brokeback Mountain. Leads John Smith and Robert Fuller had off the charts chemistry (I’m convinced their characters were in love), and every episode featured Smith’s astounding VPL and Fuller’s great ass as they both always wore painted-on pants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2018 2:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2018 2:18 AM

It might be possible, just a little itsy bitsy teensy weensy possible, that shirtless Robert was to attract female viewers.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2018 2:32 AM

On the other hand, these westerns and private-eye shows with the Henry Willson stars were basically guy shows. Women didn't watch Cheyenne no matter how good Clint Walker looked without a shirt.

Maybe Surfside 6 had some woman appeal, as there was usually a woman lead and a romance in each episode. But westerns are male territory. And The WW West was campy, too--grotesque, even, in the Miguelito Lovelace (sp?) episodes. Women don';t generally go for the grotesque--but gay men do. The whole Robert Conrad thing was gay, gay, gay--especially compared with the way he was used on Hawaiian Eye, which was never campy or grotesque. And he was never tied up for torture (or whatever), as on The WW West.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2018 2:42 AM

Based on the bulge, I think this would be pretty representative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2018 3:37 AM

When I was a kid, I think I knew I was gay when I saw Conrad’s perfect ass in those tight pants, week after week. Full, beautiful butt cheeks that I waited for in every scene.

Even now, I’ll dvr a few episodes just to check out dat ass again. It’s as good as I remembered. He was sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2018 5:27 AM

Batman and Robin spent a lot of time being tied up, too.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2018 11:39 AM

I remember when Robert Conrad appeared on the Mike Douglas Show and for some reason his wife assured the audience that her husband was all man!

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2018 11:50 AM

There is a photo out there of a wardrobe malfunction where his pants split during a fight scene. Obviously, you just see jocky shorts. He wasn't going commando under those tight pants.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2018 11:51 AM

R27 HE was ALL MAN who liked other MEN!

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2018 11:55 AM

I loved WWW as a kid and as stated Conrad tied up week after week was heaven. I only saw Laramie in reruns - I was too young to have seen the original run, but oh yeah it was totally a love story between two men. Opposites - blonde hair and calm Slim and dark haired overly emotional Jess. They shared a bedroom ! They adopted a little boy TOGETHER in the 1870's Wyoming. The show pulled an Aunt Harriet before even Batman did, adding housekeeper Daisy Cooper (lesbian Spring Byington) who looked after their little boy and mended the boys when they got shot. And for Conrad's being bound and gagged continuously on WWW, Fuller was tied up almost as much. One villain played by Jan Merlin roughly tied and gagged Fuller and seemed to be licking his lips as he contemplated what to do first with his captive.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2018 12:00 PM

If you watch some of those fight scenes now it's pretty clear that the ass in his pants was padded, you can almost see the stitching. At least some of the time.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2018 12:01 PM

It's interesting that there was not much fuss about Conrad's bod when he was almost 10 years younger and often appearing in a bathing suit in the series Hawaiian Eye. True, he was never tied up in that one, IIRC. He really looked so much hotter with a few years on him.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2018 12:03 PM

The homoerotic extended to how some of the villains [esp. Loveless] were obsessed with West and his looks. Loveless often commented on his handsomeness and perfection. I think it was supposed to be more due to jealousy due to his own physical short-comings, but there also seemed to be a bit of twisted admiration of an enemy he seemed to enjoy having as his captive.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2018 12:15 PM

Why are shows featuring male hotness considered homoerotic but shows featuring scantily clad women aren't. Isn't that sexist?

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2018 12:58 PM

WWW was my first jack offs: drooling over his naked chest and fuckable rump.

His rough trade tricks were the legend of the time: he liked nasty nasty....

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2018 1:07 PM

I just googled “Robert Conrad today”. He looks like Mike Pence !

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2018 1:19 PM

Conrad always looked like a grown-up version of those young guys in the 50's and 60's small-formatted muscle mags. I wonder if he ever posed on one leg, leaning against a column?

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2018 1:20 PM

[quote]Why are shows featuring male hotness considered homoerotic but shows featuring scantily clad women aren't. Isn't that sexist?

I do think homoerotic is sometimes over-used for instances when the man is simply objectified in a way that could appeal to both sexes. In the case of WWW and Laramie though, I think there were homoerotic elements, with the chemistry and playing house elements of the Laramie leads, and the villain's obsession with West often with him helpless and shirtless. I also think some of the ass shots of Conrad and Fuller, plus their frequent bondage adventures seemed more geared towards an admiring male than female.

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2018 1:37 PM

Is the pic in R24 real or photoshop? Looks like it could be an on set prank or something.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2018 1:42 PM

Its photoshopped

by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2018 1:52 PM

Sadly, I watched the show enough to say that was a real episode. I believe he was captured by a blind, insane naval officer. He later ended up in a cage with a lightening rod attached during a storm. Spoiler alert - he escaped.

As colorful as a lot of the Batman villains were - some of those early season WWW villains were just as interesting, and often had more layers and were even sympathetic at times than what you saw on Batman.

by Anonymousreply 41July 8, 2018 1:53 PM

Meant to attach this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2018 1:55 PM

I’ve never seen the show; why was he always being captured and tortured? Wrong place wrong time?

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2018 1:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2018 1:56 PM

Sorry - when I linked on the photoshopped question -- it brought me to the OP pic Yes, am guessing that the R24 is photoshopped. Although here is another real one from the episode that adds to the homoerotic content.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2018 1:59 PM

[quote]I’ve never seen the show; why was he always being captured and tortured? Wrong place wrong time?

It was a common thing for the late 50s and 60s. See, also, Batman, Man from Uncle, , and a number of westerns while it was not quite as common, but still had a captured hero or deputy a few times a season, like Connors on the Rifleman and one of the Barkley boys on Big Valley.

by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2018 2:04 PM

I too was a total WW addict -- the show didn't turn me gay, but it sure gave me my first fantasies. Never saw any man as handsome or who flaunted those looks as much as he did. So arrogant, so confident, so tough. Very few pretty boys were also action heroes.

Then I got to know his ex-wife a bit in Colorado. And, one of his daughters, in NYC. Not a pretty story. Bob came to Hollywood and being so incredibly good looking things came very easily to him -- he had affairs with stars left and right. Men and women. But... he had terrible anger issues. It effected his career and his personal life. His career would have been much better if directors and producers could stand to work with him-- but they couldn't because he was always itching for a fight. The rage was just right below the surface, all the time. That's why he ended up in all these terrible one season dramas, since they all had to be produced by him, and star him. That's why he turned down the few big offers he had, like the lead in The A Team. And in his personal life... well, he liked being fucked by blond boys, and then he liked to beat them up afterward -- or, if the boy was bigger than him (which was often the case) get beaten up. There's a great Rona Barrett story about that. And, he beat his wives as well. And, he was a terrible drinker -- he'd be fine until he got too much liquor in him, then he'd go nuts. Then, he'd sober up and apologize. The drink was also the reason for his many accidents, including one that killed another driver.

All in all, he may have been one of the handsomest men to hit Hollywood, and certainly had the best butt, but he was just a mess. He's still alive, but he's got to be tortured by memories of his life. When he's sober.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2018 2:08 PM

or R46, Daniel Craig’s James Bond

by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2018 2:10 PM

R22 Male toplessness on TV,film and soaps was definitely for the female demo. However many of the producers were gay. It was a nod and a wink to the gay audience as well.

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2018 2:12 PM

^^you got it. Anyone here remember James Drury? Yowza!

by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2018 2:16 PM

R23: You're crazy the male beefcake was partly for the women viewers. Good example---just watch Lucille Ball fall over herself in the Lucy Show/Here'sLucy/Whatever episode with Clint Walker. The comic relief in these shows--often in the detective shows that recycled the same scripts, was from a woman like Connie Stevens or Diane McBain.

John Smith was only briefly married and remained lifelong friends with Robert Fuller, bt sadly died of cirrohsis (sp) of the liver. Sounds very gay. Fuller is still around and maintained longstanding friendships with other costars and has had two long marriages. I suspect he's straight.

by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2018 2:24 PM

I'm sorry r30, Bobby can't come to the phone. He's.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2018 2:35 PM

[quote]He also wore the tightest pants in creations and the show featured ass shot after ass shot.

Wrong

by Anonymousreply 53July 8, 2018 2:38 PM

It’s a well known fact that the ass of the pants that Robert Conrad wore in WWW were padded. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that he was one hot, sexy, masculine man!

by Anonymousreply 54July 8, 2018 3:13 PM

I have an eldergay friend who says he had sex with Conrad. Not blond, but African American. What I don't get is why closeted, broken Conrad is a rabid Republican. Well, maybe it makes sense given how hypocritical they are. I mean, look at Miss Lindsey and Aaron Cockgobbler Schock.

Conrad gave Jan Michael Vincent one of his first starting roles in a late 60s western. Guess we know why. Jan also had a drinking problem.

I suspect poor John Smith (discovered by Henry Wilson) was closeted and that drove him to drink.

by Anonymousreply 55July 8, 2018 3:18 PM

^Everyone knows Jan had a huge drinking problem, and was falling down drunk most of the time on the set!

by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2018 3:27 PM

He was closeted? The man had 8 children. He had to at least love pussy too.

by Anonymousreply 57July 8, 2018 4:00 PM

The best villain after Dr. Loveless was Count Manzeppi, played by Victor Buono. The 2nd episode where the Count is after a toy chicken is very campy. I wished they had used the Count a bit more than just two episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2018 5:04 PM

I support r54's allegation that Conrad's fanny was padded. You can actually see the stitching holding it up in some of the closeups in the fight sequences.

by Anonymousreply 59July 8, 2018 6:38 PM

Beefing up a man's butt wasn't a thing in those days, and it still isn't. We've never heard of any other TV show doing this for its star, so why would The W W West do it? Wouldn't it have been risking industry ridicule if word had gotten out?

Every once in a great while, a guy has a really beautiful behind, round and firm, and since the show was outfitting Conrad in tight-fitting costumes, he ended up showing his. I'm not saying they absolutely couldn't pad his pants, but rather that it seems culturally unlikely.

And for all the talk of how wonderful his physique was, nowadays it would scarcely be noticed at all. The guy you see paddling the canoe shirtless in the opening title sequence of Hawaiian Eye is twice as big as Conrad. I always wondered if that fellow ever had any speaking parts.

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2018 6:55 PM

When Conrad was supposed to take a big fall on some of the episodes they might have added some padding for his safety. However, my friend C. who had a three- month affair with Conrad back in the early 1970s says that the RC butt was real and it was spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2018 7:32 PM

Conrad's trousers were legendary among wardrobe people. He had one ordinary set. One set that was super tight for long shots that had little movement. One set with special gussets for fight scenes (this was pre Lycra remember.). I would not be surprised if he also had a padded set for stunts.

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2018 7:39 PM

I was thinking he might have had some stunt pants with some padding. There are certainly some shots with him in very tight pants and the way the butt moves in them and the shifting of the shape where if it is padding, they did an excellent job.

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2018 7:42 PM

How'd we get this far without a picture of the ass in question? Actually Google has very few examples available, surprisingly...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2018 7:43 PM

The first couple of years of WWW Conrad just worn pants, but then all of a sudden he start wearing leather chaps quite a bit in fight scenes. I always wondered if it was to save his wardrobe from damage or a nod to the leather community.

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2018 7:43 PM

wardrobe malfunction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2018 7:45 PM

I loved the train.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2018 7:51 PM

His real name was Konrad Falkowski.

I hated the Artemus Gordon role, I just couldn't understand why the camera gave him an ounce of time when it could be showing us Robert Conrad.

by Anonymousreply 68July 8, 2018 7:55 PM

I couldn't get over Frank Gorshin's bulge as The Riddler on Batman. More recently I read some other people couldn't get over it either, and in season two the tights were nixed for regular pants. Also, he had a huge crush on Robin.

by Anonymousreply 69July 8, 2018 7:57 PM

They needed at least ONE actor on the show, R68.

Arte's disguises were almost as interesting to this gayling as Conrad's assets.

by Anonymousreply 70July 8, 2018 7:58 PM

Was that his homage to Miss Betty Grable, r64?

by Anonymousreply 71July 8, 2018 7:58 PM

The link is an interesting post about Robert Conrad's career and life, with pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 8, 2018 8:02 PM

Well ya know, r69.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 8, 2018 8:02 PM

Conrad looks like the cryptkeeper now, but you have to hand it to him to still be alive at 83 considering his heavy drinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 8, 2018 8:09 PM

[quote]I hated the Artemus Gordon role, I just couldn't understand why the camera gave him an ounce of time when it could be showing us Robert Conrad.

Sorry, I preferred Artemus Gordon to Robert Conrad. I would still rather have an Artemus Gorden over a Robert Conrad.

by Anonymousreply 75July 8, 2018 8:29 PM

He and Jan-Michael Vincent would make quite the interesting couple now.

by Anonymousreply 76July 8, 2018 9:15 PM

R24 Is that scene really from a 60s TV show?

by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2018 9:24 PM

R77,

Why, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2018 9:36 PM

You know, women in the 60's liked looking at hairy chested, good looking, well built shirtless men too. It wasn't necessarily meant to be homoerotic, although I'm sure the writers of the show probably knew that homosexuals would be turned on too.

by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2018 9:37 PM

what I find interesting is that WWW was cancelled due to the on screen violence. I never noticed it being that violent. Certainly my parents did not mind. I wonder if the real reason was that someone found it to be" too gay".

by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2018 9:42 PM

WWW wasa in syndication in the 80s, and I remember being mesmerized by Robert Conrad, his tight trousers, furry chest, and sweet butt. I knew him more from those "Battle of the Network Stars" and "BahBah Black Sheep" in the 70s, where he would wear a speedo but his WWII costumes were also tight-trousered.

Thanks for the mention of Robert Fuller in "Laramie." Will have to watch to see whether he got tied up and gagged as much as Robert Conrad! Found this picture of Fuller:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 8, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]His rough trade tricks were the legend of the time: he liked nasty nasty....

We need some specifics.

by Anonymousreply 82July 8, 2018 10:29 PM

R26 I remember the trading cards in breakfast cereal packets. I particularly remember one of handsome david mccallum as ilya kuryakin shirtless and tied to a chair.

I can't find it now on Google but I see 2 other scenes shirtless and one tied to a chair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 8, 2018 10:31 PM

Conrad’s ass was totally NOT padded. He wore super tight pants and coveralls in Black Sheep Squadron which nicely displayed his assets as well. Here’s another WWW pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 8, 2018 10:32 PM

Conrad himself has admitted there was padding...

by Anonymousreply 85July 8, 2018 10:34 PM

Robert Fuller’s phat ass in motion...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 8, 2018 10:34 PM

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Fuller and Conrad at a nostalgia convention a couple of years ago (they were at the same event). Conrad can no longer walk without assistance and is paralyzed on one side, but he has a wicked sense of humor and is still a trip. Fuller is quite the scamp as well, and is as fit and spritely as ever. At one point I was having dinner at the restaurant inside the hotel that held the event, and Conrad comes in with his people to have dinner. Fuller came in a little later and walked over to Conrad’s table and they chatted a bit. Fuller is on his second marriage (he’s been married for years now to actress Jennifer Savidge) and Conrad, at the time, had some hot young female woman assisting him.

by Anonymousreply 87July 8, 2018 10:43 PM

I tend to think that John Smith was gay as well. He married and divorced actress Luana Patten in the ‘60s, was rumored to have a very brief second marriage, was suspected to have a daughter which was never proven and remained single for the rest of his years. His career was thwarted by the director of the John Wayne movie Circus World in which Smith co-starred. The director reportedly hated him for unknown reasons and vowed that he would never work again. He did work, but not at the capacity that he could have and should have. Smith was gorgeous, with those full lips, long legs and that amazing bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 8, 2018 10:52 PM

It amuses me that their tight pants are all very suggestive but they all adhere to the 1933 Hays Code rule that the navel must NOT be shown!

by Anonymousreply 89July 8, 2018 11:02 PM

There's an episode where Conrad gets a shave. The entire thing is so obviously erotic. It's straight out of Tom of Finland. Personally, I'm glad that this show exists because something like this wouldn't get green lighted today because of its overt fixation on male sexuality. I'm sure the producers and the behind the scenes crew knew what they were doing.

Same thing for Italian Hercules movies back then. Wall to wall beefcake that, aside from 300, wouldn't be released today.

by Anonymousreply 90July 8, 2018 11:02 PM

just watched an episode of Buck Rogers with Gil Gerard. Hilariously tight pants on Gil, such a big, plump ass. (nice crotch too)

by Anonymousreply 91July 8, 2018 11:56 PM

Gil

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 9, 2018 12:16 AM

Too bad there were never any spanking/paddling scenes with James Drury, Robert Fuller, John Smith or Robert Conrad on the receiving end. I wonder if the censors would have let something like that slide. There were certainly enough shows with women and children getting spanked in those days.

by Anonymousreply 93July 9, 2018 12:46 AM

Male bondage was oddly popular in the sixties. James Bond was tied up with a laser aiming at his fuck, Batman and Robin were tied up almost as often as James West, all the TV secret agents at least got handcuffed.

Was there a cabal of gay prodecers running things back then?

by Anonymousreply 94July 9, 2018 1:19 AM

[quote]Too bad there were never any spanking/paddling scenes with James Drury, Robert Fuller, John Smith or Robert Conrad on the receiving end.

There is. John Smith starred in an episode of The Paper Gunman where his character loses a poker game and gets put over some guy’s knee and spanked hard. If I can find it I’ll post it.

by Anonymousreply 95July 9, 2018 1:33 AM

R90, there's that Peter Graves line in "Airplane" "Billy, do you like movies with gladiators?"

I think John Smith's first movie role was as Perkins ' friend in "Friendly Persuasion."

by Anonymousreply 96July 9, 2018 1:43 AM

more of a tied up Robert Fuller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 9, 2018 2:25 AM

Loved Fuller and Conrad - and another 'Bob ' = Robert Wagner in It Takes A Thief got tied up and gagged a lot. He was suave sexy while Conrad and especially Fuller were more rough trade.

Amazing that John Smith got spanked! Thanks for that and will look it up. There was a scene in Laramie where Smith goes after Fuller, manhandles him and tries to dunk him in the water thing outside. Fuller gets the jump on him and dunks him instead. You could those 2 actors loved working together and ego did not compromise their relationship unlike the Larry Wilcox/Erik Estrada crap on CHIPS.

Another show that had off the wall homo-eroticism was RIPTIDE. Again, Perry King and Joe Penny live on a yacht and share a bedroom! I doubt right winger Stephen Cannell was 'going there' - but the chemistry like with Smith and Fuller, was off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 98July 9, 2018 2:31 AM

Robert Conrad and Company. Nice legs and ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 9, 2018 2:33 AM

That heavenly, handsome face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 9, 2018 2:35 AM

Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 9, 2018 2:37 AM

we interrupt this Robert Conrad thread to give you more Robert Fuller. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 9, 2018 2:40 AM

Matts butt is better than conrads. He doesn't use padding either.

by Anonymousreply 103July 9, 2018 2:44 AM

He was HOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 9, 2018 2:47 AM

"The water thing outside "

A trough?

by Anonymousreply 105July 9, 2018 2:49 AM

It doesn't count if they're tied up with all their clothes on, r97!

by Anonymousreply 106July 9, 2018 3:18 AM

OH MY GOD, r101 can you imagine your dick just a-slippin and a-slidin in and out of that ass?! Oy yoy yoy! r100, that pic just makes you melt and you'd expect that gorgeous guy to be friendly, humble and great in bed, none of which Robert Conrad was apparently, according to many posts here.

by Anonymousreply 107July 9, 2018 3:27 AM

Robert Conrad was certainly hot, but he was a bad actor. I think that contributed to his being shirtless a lot.

by Anonymousreply 108July 9, 2018 3:51 AM

He wasn’t a bad actor. He was a solid tv actor.

I don’t believe the padding story, either. A few of you say it’s a “fact,” which means you’re spreading rumor as truth. Where’s the interview? Where’s the source?

And no, you didn’t see stitching, either. Television wasn’t exactly hi def at that time.

by Anonymousreply 109July 9, 2018 4:24 AM

He ran the gamut of emotion from A to B.

by Anonymousreply 110July 9, 2018 4:34 AM

R110, that was actually Dorothy Parker, not Katharine Hepburn.

In addition, A to B can get you some pretty decent acting. But thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 111July 9, 2018 4:48 AM

Subtle humor is lost on ^

by Anonymousreply 112July 9, 2018 4:55 AM

Okay, R111, so it was ABOUT Kate (in "The Lake"?).

Actually, R107, he looks sullen and entitled in those pics. Like he'd just lie back and expect to be serviced. For some, that may in fact be part of his appeal. The hot HS jock.

by Anonymousreply 113July 9, 2018 4:56 AM

R112, subtle humor?

LOL

by Anonymousreply 114July 9, 2018 5:05 AM

R114 you're not supposed to correct r112! You're correcting the jokey ref! It wasn't the wittiest maybe but, Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 115July 9, 2018 5:11 AM

Ok, here it is. The show was called “Frontier” and the episode was “The Paper Gunman”. At the 9 minute mark, John Smith gets smacked and then spanked in the ass three times during a poker game...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 9, 2018 5:35 AM

Thx. Buns of steel. What the Internet was made for.

by Anonymousreply 117July 9, 2018 5:41 AM

Thank you r116. It was pretty campy, but thanks for going to the trouble of finding and posting it!

by Anonymousreply 118July 9, 2018 6:33 AM

That was a pretty good ass slapping. I bet he really felt it. I hope they only had to do it once for his sake.

by Anonymousreply 119July 9, 2018 6:46 AM

r119, don't actors have a way of faking that stuff? "Pulling punches" and tricks with the camera can make it seem real. If it wasn't and John Smith actually got spanked by the other actor all I can say is, what a lucky guy. I wonder if they giggled about it after they did the spanking scene.

I recalled King Donovan from the Burns and Allen show which was on the air right about the time he made this particular western (1955). He was married to Imogene Coca from Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows", but I thought both he and his wife pinged loudly.

by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2018 6:59 AM

Another "near" spanking was on Wagon Train in an episode called "The Whipping", where at the end Bill Hawks tells his young protege Barnaby that for a variety of reasons he deserves a spanking and tells him to carry it out. One has to see the show to understand. Big buildup for a big letdown.

by Anonymousreply 121July 9, 2018 8:26 AM

No one had tighter pants than Conrad , even I remember that.

by Anonymousreply 122July 9, 2018 9:11 AM

Yeah, Conrad was hot but I prefer real men: Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 9, 2018 9:24 AM

I think Chad Everett was gay also.

by Anonymousreply 124July 9, 2018 9:27 AM

Illya Kuryakin................................................WOOF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 9, 2018 9:32 AM

Hot guy. Somewhere I read that he's a Big Boy. Jill Ireland divorced him to marry Charles Bronson.

by Anonymousreply 126July 9, 2018 9:52 AM

R47, what is the Rona Barrett story? Please do tell.

by Anonymousreply 127July 9, 2018 10:12 AM

The only Rona Barrett story I know is her story that Hugh O'Brian wanted to screw her and said, "Oh please, Miss Rona, I'll just put the tip in."

by Anonymousreply 128July 9, 2018 10:18 AM

To me, Robert Conrad always came off as a rageaholic who was just one excuse away from completely losing it and exploding his rage on whoever was closest. The word that comes to mind is “seething,” in that he had this inner emotional storm that was always percolating.

by Anonymousreply 129July 9, 2018 10:28 AM

R1227: Here's the Rona Barrett story -- if you scroll down a bit and then enlarge the newspaper clipping...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 9, 2018 11:16 AM

Wow, Rona really didn't hold back. Are there any eldergays here who have more first-person stories about Conrad?

by Anonymousreply 131July 9, 2018 11:25 AM

[quote]Beefing up a man's butt wasn't a thing in those days, and it still isn't. We've never heard of any other TV show doing this for its star, so why would The W W West do it?

*Ahem*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 9, 2018 11:30 AM

Now take it for what it's worth - CHARLES MANSON claims Conrad used to cruise him(!). Manson said Conrad was a nasty fuck who had a Napoleon complex. Manson also claimed Peter Falk as a trick. Conrad was starring in a new NBC Jack Webb series called the D.A. and he attended Manson's trial.

by Anonymousreply 133July 9, 2018 11:53 AM

Well, gee, if Charlie said it...

by Anonymousreply 134July 9, 2018 12:21 PM

I remember how ultra-competitive and obnoxious Robert Conrad used to be on “Battle of the Network Stars”.

by Anonymousreply 135July 9, 2018 1:02 PM

theirs nothing harmonica about his back side. all you gaze think evryone is gay. but its not true most of the time. i like wild wild wild west. the only time it seemed gay to me was when will smith was in the motion picture show of wild wild west. robert conrad was a mans-man, like me!

by Anonymousreply 136July 9, 2018 1:39 PM

This is the original Will Smith, Billy boy.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 9, 2018 1:43 PM

I'm guessing that all of that shirtless S&M seen in late 1950s/early 1960s movies and TV was because it was only then that male shirtlessness became prevalent on film. That sort of brazen muscularity was fairly rare in preceding decades (with the exception of the Tarzan films).

And it had to be tamed!

by Anonymousreply 138July 9, 2018 1:49 PM

I know he's clothed here, but this image is so campy it looks like it could be a prelude to porn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 9, 2018 2:11 PM

Dont know any of these guys. Fuller is sexier. Conrad is pretty. Nice legs and ass. John smith getting spanked is hot. Seems like they were carrying him out to ravage him. Haha. Who does that? What guy spanks another guy when fighting?

by Anonymousreply 140July 9, 2018 3:23 PM

It may have been gay but I asked mom, who was in her prime housewife years then, what she thought of Robert Conrad. "Best looking man on tv, and I never missed 'The Wild Wild West'" was her answer. And she added that her mahjongg and bridge partners all thought so too.

So there's that

by Anonymousreply 141July 9, 2018 3:50 PM

Managing to escape, butt to the camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 9, 2018 7:49 PM

Exactly where you want him - stretched on the bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 9, 2018 7:51 PM

Tied up again, this time with an Indian lass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 9, 2018 7:52 PM

Look at that tight, compact body!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 9, 2018 7:56 PM

Tie up once again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 9, 2018 7:57 PM

A sailing we will go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 9, 2018 7:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 9, 2018 8:07 PM

Why didn't they ever show their bellybuttons? It was the 1960s fercrissakes!!!

Was it thought to be effeminate?

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2018 8:22 PM

[quote]I'm guessing that all of that shirtless S&M seen in late 1950s/early 1960s movies and TV was because it was only then that male shirtlessness became prevalent on film.

That's so not true. From the 1920s onward movies featured plenty of beefcake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 9, 2018 8:44 PM

I remember reading when he was involved with that fatal car accident some years back that his actual birth date was in 1929, not 1935. It had been faked when he was starting out, which makes him 89.

by Anonymousreply 151July 9, 2018 9:00 PM

His propensity to get violent toward his tricks is scary. He wanted to get fucked, but then beat the guy up? Did he ever top?

by Anonymousreply 152July 9, 2018 10:05 PM

R152, he wanted you to knock a battery off his shoulder and it made sense at the time.

by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2018 10:15 PM

R149 Boobs jiggling and risqué harem costume but Barbara Eden was not supposed to show her navel in I Dream Of Jeannie. Go figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2018 10:20 PM

R151 -- Bobby claims that the reason his drivers license is dated 6 years earlier is that he lied about his age -- he needed to seem to be older when he ran away from home and got married and got a job.

However... that doesn't really make a lot of sense, unless he conned the DMV into accepting his lie without any proof. The odds are pretty good that he really is that much older -- when he came to Hollywood, Warners wanted to make him a teen heart throb, and if he was already approaching 30, that wouldn't have worked.

Also, if you look at him today, he certainly looks more like he's almost 90 than 83. In fact, he looks about 100. Although that could be the heavy drinking and unpleasant life he's led.

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2018 10:29 PM

Older but still handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 9, 2018 10:30 PM

[quote]Thank you [R116]. It was pretty campy, but thanks for going to the trouble of finding and posting it!

You’re welcome!

by Anonymousreply 157July 9, 2018 11:23 PM

Time is a thief, and gravity a vandal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 9, 2018 11:35 PM

Believe me, for someone approaching 90, he looks damn good.

by Anonymousreply 159July 10, 2018 12:11 AM

I wonder if he still likes guys to beat him?

by Anonymousreply 160July 10, 2018 12:19 AM

Robert Conrad's Columbo appearance was must-see TV for me. 15 glorious shirtless minutes of RC in his slightly older prime.

Hey, I just realized that both Conrad and Ross Martin were guest murderers on Columbo. Same thing with Shatner and Nimoy from Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 161July 10, 2018 12:34 AM

r150, the shirtlessness of 1920s silent film hunks was very different from what came later in the 1950s. It was all very romanticized, dreamy and soft focus back then with lots of makeup and glistening oils. It was really not so much sexual as idealized like classical statuary and not very threatening.

by Anonymousreply 162July 10, 2018 12:55 AM

Bobby C botttoms for Van Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 10, 2018 1:06 AM

Bobby's on the bottom again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 10, 2018 1:09 AM

Ahem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 10, 2018 1:12 AM

r28 r66 Here's a video of that scene. It also suffers from poor editing. His pants tear on the inside left leg and the crotch, then mend themselves and tear on the outside right leg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 10, 2018 1:19 AM

Excuse me. I could flash my belly button in the 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 10, 2018 1:20 AM

What was with those beefcake shots - were they in a 50s/60s version of Tiger Beat? Here is one with one of my other favorite western pretty boys - Dough McClure with that guy from Rawhide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 10, 2018 1:21 AM

IIIRC, it was Cher who eventually broke the taboo against showing her navel, since so many of her Bob Mackie outfits famously exposed hers.

by Anonymousreply 169July 10, 2018 1:26 AM

In her divorce petition, John Smith's wife, Luana Patten, claimed that he would disappear for long periods of time and then refuse to tell her where he had been. She also claimed that he would refuse to talk to her for long periods of time. Very Ennis Del Mar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 10, 2018 1:50 AM

R150 Joan's father in law,for a couple years.

by Anonymousreply 171July 10, 2018 2:06 AM

Did anyone have a thing for James Stacy? Very similar to Conrad but not short. Tragic life - lost an arm and a leg when a drunk driver hit the motorcycle he was on, killing his girlfriend. Made a come back of sorts in the 70s and 80s. Convicted of child molestation in 1995 and went to prison for six years. Died in 2016 from anaphylactic shock after receiving an antibiotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 10, 2018 2:31 AM

And once married to Miss Connie Stevens!

by Anonymousreply 173July 10, 2018 2:33 AM

LOL at R168 pic.

Okay you guys rassle in these skimpy shorts, the girls love it.

by Anonymousreply 174July 10, 2018 5:22 AM

R168 That must be a non-studio shot.

They are displaying their navels.

by Anonymousreply 175July 10, 2018 5:42 AM

[quote]In her divorce petition, John Smith's wife, Luana Patten, claimed that he would disappear for long periods of time and then refuse to tell her where he had been. She also claim that he would refuse to talk to her for long periods of time. Very Ennis Del Mar.

Indeed. I heard that later in life he had a close male friend, a Hispanic man, who he ended up leaving most of his things to.

by Anonymousreply 176July 10, 2018 9:32 AM

Van Williams was another gorgeous one. He and Conrad did a lot of those scantily clad candid shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 10, 2018 9:34 AM

Yes r172! James Stacy was sexy as fuck on “Lancer”.

by Anonymousreply 178July 10, 2018 9:53 AM

He was in the hilarious "Flare Up" with Raquel, and I remember his having a kind of sweetness that Conrad couldn't have mustered up.

by Anonymousreply 179July 10, 2018 10:39 AM

I get James Stacey mixed up with John Ashley who was married to Deborah "Gidget" Walley and appeared in some of those Beach Blanket movies. Wasn't Stacey in some of them, too?

by Anonymousreply 180July 10, 2018 12:16 PM

R172 Thanks for the link to James Stacey. It led me to a still from an obscure movie called The Women of Pitcairn Island which seems to be very much in the "hot men in peril" genre suggested by The Wild Wild West". It starred John Smith, one of Henry Willson's clients. For some inexplicable reason Willson changed his name from Robert Van Orden to John Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 10, 2018 1:42 PM

Oh lord, r179, I'd totally forgotten about Flare-up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 10, 2018 1:50 PM

Yeah he was hot- my favs were two of the TX Rangers on Larado!

by Anonymousreply 183July 10, 2018 2:19 PM

Enterprising gays should film hardcore sex scenes and insert them in every WWW episode...that’s the only missing

by Anonymousreply 184July 10, 2018 3:09 PM

...thing

by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2018 3:10 PM

So, R172, James Stacy's motorcycle cost him and arm and a leg?

by Anonymousreply 186July 10, 2018 3:55 PM

Of all those 60s beefcake TV guys, Van Williams was the handsomest. But Conrad had the hottest body, and his seething rage made him incredibly hot.

Shatner fits into this category too--I guess his only superlative was he was the worst actor.

by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2018 4:24 PM

The 1st ep of Laramie 'Stage Stop' just saw this on Grit. I forgot about little Bobby Crawfrord (Rifleman Johnny's older brother) who played John Smith's brother Andy. Andy's crush on Jess is over the top. He begs him to take him with him, to be his partner. Andy makes a handful of appearances in the 2nd season but the character is shipped off to boarding school so big brother Slim can have Jess all to himself.

by Anonymousreply 188July 10, 2018 4:30 PM

Joel McCrea, the camera eroticized his body in "The Sporting Parade" and "Bird of Paradise", both pre-code 1932 films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 10, 2018 5:42 PM

R157 -- Van was good looking but Conrad was indeed better looking -- for about 4 years. Then the drinking got to him and he turned into an attractive daddy type, no longer a stunning one. But at his prime, it's hard to find someone more handsome.

by Anonymousreply 190July 10, 2018 6:54 PM

Buster Crabbe in "Search for Beauty" 1934

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191July 10, 2018 7:28 PM

The thread has gone WAY off the rails.

Beefcake in Sixties TV seems a reasonable stretch, given the topic; but beefcake in 20s movies should be its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 192July 10, 2018 9:44 PM

Sorry, I meant "beefcake in 30s movies"

by Anonymousreply 193July 10, 2018 9:45 PM

Van has it all over Lil’ Bobby Conrad.

Too bad he was never tied up like Robert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194July 10, 2018 10:12 PM

Hard to see in the photos but Van had incredible green eyes, a to-die-for combo with his black hair and genuine Southern drawl. And he was well over 6' tall!

I never understood why Warners pushed Troy Donahue on Surfside 6 and in their films instead of Van. Maybe Van wasn't very ambitious.

by Anonymousreply 195July 10, 2018 10:38 PM

Van’s story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 10, 2018 10:41 PM

I love that episode of Cheyenne where humongous Clint Walker throws a drunken Van Williams over his shoulder and walks off with him.

by Anonymousreply 197July 10, 2018 10:42 PM

bringing up the eroticism in the pre-code 30's movies was not taking the thread "off the rails" it was included to refute the ignoramus who made the assertion....

[quote]the shirtlessness of 1920s silent film hunks was very different from what came later in the 1950s. It was all very romanticized, dreamy and soft focus back then with lots of makeup and glistening oils. It was really not so much sexual as idealized like classical statuary and not very threatening.

by Anonymousreply 198July 10, 2018 10:51 PM

"It's pretty well understood that the most homoerotiv show of the 1960s was "the Wid, Wild West.""

Did you guys completely miss "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"? You know, the show that in its first season was 99% beefcake, and from the second season on was 100% male? Mostly hot males, too. As a kid, this was my favorite show hands-down. Total eye candy.

It's had me wondering for decades if Irwin Allen was gay. And if Richard Basehart and David Hedison had a thing going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 10, 2018 11:35 PM

I liked Kowalski

by Anonymousreply 200July 10, 2018 11:40 PM

Tight pants on that blond actor in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

by Anonymousreply 201July 10, 2018 11:41 PM

Now, Gary Conway, on Land of the Giants......

by Anonymousreply 202July 11, 2018 12:04 AM

Yes, male homoeroticism with touches of BDSM was definitely a thing in the sixties.

Was Hollywood run by sadistic gays or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 11, 2018 1:24 AM

Shirtless William Smith tied up in bondage in "Laredo" (Season 1, Episode 11 "Jinx")

(start at the 28 minute mark for shirtless Will)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 11, 2018 1:35 AM

James Stacy was indeed a total stud. What a tragic life he had at the end. He reminded me so much of Michael Callen, another B-movie/TV actor.

For some reason, the B-movie actors are the ones I find most attractive. Good call on the guy who pointed out Kowalski on Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. There was another minor actor from that era named Paul Carr,who was hot in that clean-cut Sixties kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 205July 11, 2018 1:40 AM

Was there ever a hotter B actor than me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 11, 2018 1:47 AM

My own personal fetish is to find these guys in grade-Z thrillers where they have a bedroom scene.

by Anonymousreply 207July 11, 2018 1:52 AM

Guy Madison was really where it all started, followed by Rory Calhoun, Clint Walker and all the other Warner Bros B list studs on their TV westerns and sun-bathed detective shows

An entirely different aesthetic than that of Douglas Fairbanks, Valentino and even Joel McCrea. Can't you see that r198?

by Anonymousreply 208July 11, 2018 3:50 AM

Voyage didn’t really show that much skin though.

Flipper on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 209July 11, 2018 3:54 AM

David Hedison was gorgeous and he got tied up a lot.

by Anonymousreply 210July 11, 2018 4:13 AM

R208 Guy Madison. Completely gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 11, 2018 4:35 AM

Guy Madison in his very first move, Since You Went Away.

The studio received 1000's of letters inquiring about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 11, 2018 4:41 AM

guy madison should never be photographed fully clothed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213July 11, 2018 4:42 AM

Guy and Spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 11, 2018 4:51 AM

Vintage bondage-like scene between 2 men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 11, 2018 4:53 AM

Vintage erotica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 11, 2018 5:03 AM

A boy and his chiropractor, getting some vitamin D.

by Anonymousreply 217July 11, 2018 5:05 AM

injecting vintage erotic photography into a film/tv thread, does take it off the rails, though certainly worthy of its own thread

by Anonymousreply 218July 11, 2018 5:09 AM

[quote]Guy Madison was really where it all started

An argument could be made that the male pin-up actually started with George O'Brien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 11, 2018 8:18 AM

George O'Brien - Olive Borden

Publicity shot for "Fig Leaves" 1927

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 11, 2018 8:19 AM

Nah, I think Douglas Fairbanks (Sr.) was the first movie star to spend a lot of time shirtless or scantily clad. Here's "The Thief of Bagdad" from 1924.

Although Fairbanks spent a lot of time shirtless, it didn't come across as all that sexual. He seemed more interested in his own marvelously athletic body than in having sex with others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 11, 2018 8:34 AM

R221 You kind of don't get it.

It wasn't just a matter of being shirtless, O'Brien was presented shirtless in sexual situations. You would not see Fairbanks photographed as in R220 or like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222July 11, 2018 9:05 AM

R220, love his slender, slender calves.

by Anonymousreply 223July 11, 2018 10:19 AM

R223 His legs were fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 11, 2018 10:34 AM

Herman Brix was Tarzan for a while in the 30s, then became Bruce Bennett, signed at Warners, and was Bert Pierce in "Mildred Pierce."

by Anonymousreply 225July 11, 2018 10:42 AM

[quote]Guy Madison was really where it all started, followed by Rory Calhoun

Yes, they often followed each other . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 11, 2018 12:28 PM

That's certainly not Rory Calhoun at r226.

by Anonymousreply 227July 11, 2018 12:33 PM

The sixties was a bonanza of good-looking guys in tight trousers often getting tied up. Nickelodeon started airing these shows in the 80s. "The Wild, Wild West" was a spoof of science fiction, westerns, and James Bond movies. "The Time Tunnel" was another. It had two hyper masculine leads, Robert Colbert and James Darren. One or the other often got tied up when they travelled through time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Lost in Space." It's a shame that Major West (Marc Goddard) never got tied up. Jeez, his smoldering resentment was sexy! Then, there was "Land of the Giants." I loved it, when those little people, especially Don Matheson and Gary Conway got tied up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 11, 2018 2:23 PM

Gary Conway posed for playgirl dut didn't show peen.

by Anonymousreply 229July 11, 2018 2:29 PM

Conway's short little jacket to allow a full rear view did seem to have a bit of a WWW influence.

Lee Major's Heath ended up captured about once a year and in vulnerable situations a few additional times. There were a couple of episodes where he was basically taken captive from the pre-credit scene and was not free until the closing credits. Once by a vengeful Amish type that literally captured him to be their servant/slave and kept him bound or in a cage and once by an insane Lieslie Nielson who basically kept him as a source of entertainment. He could do vulnerable captive in a way that Nick probably could not have pulled off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 11, 2018 2:42 PM

"Lawman" had the ultimate duo fighting crime back in the day. There was beautiful, sexy Daddy Lawman, John Russell and his sidekick Deputy Peter Brown, voted the stud most likely to fill out a pair of jeans like nobody's business. Certain shots of Brown running around left little to the imagination on which side his career was buttered. Sweet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 11, 2018 2:44 PM

Lawman was just a warm-up to Brown's time on Laredo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 11, 2018 3:14 PM

The director wanted to try out different gag styles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 11, 2018 3:15 PM

Who's that on the far right, R233?

by Anonymousreply 234July 11, 2018 3:35 PM

Robert Wolders. I think he was only on the show for one season ( season 2). He was a sophisticated European. In some ways he was duplicative of Brown's character (smart - a foil to Reese - able to make a wise-crack), that I can see why they ended up dropping him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 11, 2018 3:43 PM

I remember watching Laramie, Laredo, and WWW repeats as a kid. I think WGN played a Rawhide WWW combo and Pat Robertson's CBN played Laredo and Laramie (the station played some old shows that were a little less frequently seen - both westerns and sitcoms). Grit TV played Laramie and Laredo recently (sadly I no longer pick up the station) and I have seen WWW off and on throughout the years. Some of the Laramie and WWW episodes actually hold up pretty well Laredo was pretty painful besides the gratuitous beefcake of Brown and Smith (and the two actors come off very likable). The comic character of Reese is painful to watch as is much of the Native American interactions, which are bad even for the time. One Life to Live's Asa Buchanan plays the commander - and interesting to see him younger and pretty handsome.

by Anonymousreply 236July 11, 2018 4:20 PM

Peter Brown's peter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 11, 2018 4:24 PM

"His legs were fine."

All three of them, obviously!

by Anonymousreply 238July 11, 2018 4:57 PM

Robert Wolders went on to marry Merle Oberon and was with her until she died. He then took up with Audrey Hepburn and stayed with her until she died. He is now shacked up with Henry Fonda's last widow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 11, 2018 7:11 PM

The one TV cowboy who never seems to get mentioned in these threads is my fave Robert Horton, who starred on Wagon Train for many years. He had some actual talent and appeared on Broadway as Starbuck the Rainmaker in the musical 110 in the Shade.

by Anonymousreply 240July 11, 2018 10:27 PM

Rory: "Listen up, Diana Lynn, I already told that ho next to Guy to keep her hands away from the goods and that goes for you too, hussy!"

Guy: "My man!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 12, 2018 7:02 PM

[quote]There was another minor actor from that era named Paul Carr

Carr had a magnificent bubble butt and often sported some major VPL. An episode of The Rifleman that he guest starred in comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 242July 12, 2018 10:07 PM

R242 I can't find any good pictures of this Paul Carr person.

by Anonymousreply 243July 12, 2018 10:16 PM

Bump the West.

by Anonymousreply 244July 14, 2018 2:57 PM

Isn’t this the show Sally Draper was caught masturbating to on Mad Men?

by Anonymousreply 245July 14, 2018 3:13 PM

John and Robert all tied up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 23, 2018 11:02 AM

He was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 247July 23, 2018 11:08 AM

R22.. It worked. I was 11 at the time of the show, and he caught my eye.. lol.

by Anonymousreply 248July 23, 2018 11:28 AM

he loved hot studs sukiin on his tittys

by Anonymousreply 249July 23, 2018 11:43 AM

The shirtless-man-in-danger meme was also used in countless men's magazine covers back then. I don't pretend to fully understand why it was so culturally appealing, but I would have to assume it was just a way of embedding beefcake in a socially acceptable "masculine" context.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 23, 2018 11:54 AM

R46.. I think it was a trend because of James Bond 007, being so hot at the time... the spies always getting in precarious positions (tongue in cheek).

by Anonymousreply 251July 23, 2018 1:07 PM

R241: Gore Vidal claimed to have had an affair with Diana Lynn. Whether she was lover or beard, all we know is Vidal's say-so.

by Anonymousreply 252July 23, 2018 1:13 PM

[quote] He is now shacked up with Henry Fonda's last widow.

Not anymore!

by Anonymousreply 253July 23, 2018 1:14 PM

R64... Very muscular legs. Good calves..

by Anonymousreply 254July 23, 2018 1:25 PM

R101... Looks like Carroll O'Connor in that gif..

by Anonymousreply 255July 23, 2018 1:44 PM

It is, R255. He played a criminal mortician.

by Anonymousreply 256July 23, 2018 5:34 PM

There are several episodes that really feature the butt -- the best are Night of the Falcon and Night of the Turncoat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257July 23, 2018 6:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!