Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“En Suite” - Stop it. Stop it right this fucking minute!

Tacky home buying and remodeling shows won’t stop until they make this stupid shit happen.

My little cousin and her husband in Texas are looking for a new home - a house trailer - and she’s lamented needing an “en suite”... in a fucking trailer!

Unless you speak fluent French as your first launguage, it’s MASTER BATH! And if you’re watching cable shows to dream of house buying or redecorating, you have no business using this pretentious made-up term.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2019 4:39 PM

Well, no. A master bath is the main bathroom. An en suite bathroom means it's connected to your bedroom.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2018 3:26 PM

The French don't actually use this term. It is truly pretentious and made up.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2018 3:29 PM

R1 Calm down before you have an aneurysm. The home shows that use that term are imported from Canada, where “ensuite” is the term used for what you call a master bathroom. They’re not “trying to make ensuite happen.” Just accept it and move on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2018 3:29 PM

You know in France, there's no such word as entrepreteur.

En suite is a perfectly acceptable phrase.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2018 3:31 PM

[quote]it’s MASTER BATH!

Uh, no OP. It's an en suite in Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Just as a school party is called a fete and nursery school is called creche. These countries adopted these particular words years before you were born, so you can rest assured that they were not instituted solely to ruin your sad, boring life.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2018 3:31 PM

R5 preach 👐

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2018 3:33 PM

You can have multiple ensuites including on small bedrooms that aren’t masters.

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2018 3:36 PM

yes en suite is perfectly acceptable in Europe and Canada. It's fine on Househunters International but using the term when you are buying a McMansion in a subdivision is pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2018 3:42 PM

Face it, OP. Your thread failed and so did you.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2018 3:42 PM

R5

And a printed or engraved invitation, whether in Britain or the white dominions, is known as a "stiffie."

As in "Jeremy got his first stiffie today from a boy in his preschool class."

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2018 3:43 PM

OP, today is a holiday not a vacation.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2018 3:44 PM

I’m telling you, all the HGTV shows that use that term were produced and broadcast in Canada and purchased on the cheap to re-broadcast in the US, and often people don’t know they are watching Canadian shows (or that Canadian people don’t speak American English).

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2018 3:45 PM

What I'm getting from you, R3 & R5 , is that Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are more pretentious than America. I didn't expect that.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2018 3:52 PM

You’re so dumb, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2018 3:56 PM

I hate the term, too. Not because its foreign, but because the fucking fake "let's buy a dream home" HGTV shit has made it so expected, even for people who can barely afford a house let alone one with three bathrooms. No ensuite? We have to keep looking.

And yeah, since it's usually only the biggest bedroom that has one, what is wrong with "master bath"?

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2018 4:23 PM

Keep fighting the good fight. You are part of the next greatest generation.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2018 4:28 PM

“And yeah, since it's usually only the biggest bedroom that has one, what is wrong with "master bath"?”

As discussed by many people above, what’s wrong with it is that you are assuming “master bath” is the correct/preferred term for people to whom that term is foreign. You probably don’t realize it, but suggesting this makes you exactly that kind of obnoxious American stereotype the French stereotypically hate: you think everything you’re not familiar with or which is foreign to you is “pretentious” and should be restyled in the image of American preferences. That’s what’s wrong with “master bath.”

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2018 4:31 PM

Lincoln freed the slaves. Rosa Parks fought to sit at the front of the bus. Harvey Milk fought for gay rights. And the OP makes his fight in life the term ensuite in real estate listings. Jesus fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2018 4:33 PM

Master bath can only be applied to the master bedroom ensuite. Many houses have multiple ensuite additional bedrooms. I also don't like the American tendency to call a half bathroom a bathroom. No, you don't have 14 bathrooms, you have 6 ensuite and 8 half bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2018 4:33 PM

R19 tells us "I also don't like the American tendency to call a half bathroom a bathroom."

While we're here, do you have any other issues you'd care to share with us?

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2018 4:39 PM

I personally hate the Kiwi tendency to call a bedroom a BEAD-rum, while we’re being dialectically xenophobic.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2018 4:41 PM

[quote]You know in France, there's no such word as entrepreteur.

There's no such word as that in any language.

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2018 10:34 PM

A trailer with an en suite is the nec plus ultra.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2018 11:02 PM

I thought the term "Master Bath" meant such spa (and related accoutrements) was immediately adjacent to the "Master Suite," n'est-ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2018 11:10 PM

I just got back from Europe and they use "en suite" for any bedroom with a bath attached. It may seem pretentious in Assclam US but it's actually just the name for something, like "croissant" is crescent bread, because it's shaped like that symbol on the doors of outhouses.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2018 11:12 PM

[quote]Unless you speak fluent French as your first launguage, it’s MASTER BATH!

Et si je le parle courramment comme ma deuxième?

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2018 11:19 PM

Is there a powder room on the parlor floor?

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2018 11:46 PM

Ok, not all master baths are ensuite.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2018 12:17 AM

OP, do you live in Wisconsin?

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2018 12:26 AM

I can't get over the fact that according to R10 somewhere in the world there are preschool kids giving out engraved invitations.

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2018 12:34 AM

The word "master" is a slave reference! I'm triggered!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2018 12:44 AM

I thought "en suite" was just used to describe hotel rooms that have a bathroom (rather than a shared bathroom.)

Anyway, my house has three bedrooms. Two are upstairs (the master and a smaller one.) There's a bathroom with a shower only (no tub) attached to the master, and a full bathroom (with a shower-tub combo) in the hallway opposite the smaller bedroom.

Downstairs, there's another bedroom, plus a half-bath/powder room. I've seen this described in RE listings as:

1. Three bathrooms

2. 2.5 bathrooms

3. 1.75 + .5 bathrooms (would that make it 2.25?)

It's all very confusing. There should be some standardization.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2018 12:52 AM

A quarter bath is toilet alone or shower stall alone..usually in basements.

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2018 4:13 AM

In America the correct term is "the shitter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 5, 2018 4:32 AM

I guess “attached bath” works

by Anonymousreply 35July 5, 2018 4:40 AM

[quote]Well, no. A master bath is the main bathroom

No, you’re wrong. The master bath is a bathroom that’s accessed from the master bedroom, The “main bathroom” is frequently called the “hall bathroom.” Some older houses don’t have a master bath, but unless it’s part of the master suite, it’s not a master bath.

by Anonymousreply 36July 5, 2018 5:19 AM

House Hunters isn’t a Canadian show, all the house hunting occurs in US cities. No one should be using “en suite” on that show.

by Anonymousreply 37July 5, 2018 5:20 AM

An adjoining bath can be accessed directly from the bedroom and additionally from a hall.

by Anonymousreply 38July 5, 2018 5:39 AM

Ensuite is entirely within the bedroom/bathroom suite of rooms with no other way in like from a hall

by Anonymousreply 39July 5, 2018 5:41 AM

It’s always called the ensuite, you American numpty.

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2018 6:34 AM

[quote]A quarter bath is toilet alone or shower stall alone..usually in basements.

Those are half baths. As in, this condo has 1.5 bathrooms which means it has one bathroom with a toilet and bath/shower and one with only a toilet and sink, no bath/shower. It's missing half of what is usually in a bathroom, hence the term 'half bath". What are the three other components beyond a toilet that you imagine a quarter bath is missing?

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2018 6:40 AM

Half bath has a sink and toilet

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2018 6:51 AM

Quarter is just a toilet no sink or just shower...the 4 components are toilet, sink, shower and tub

by Anonymousreply 43July 5, 2018 6:52 AM

R42, they all have sinks. I assumed that went unsaid.

by Anonymousreply 44July 5, 2018 6:53 AM

Kevin knows his shit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 5, 2018 6:55 AM

No they don’t all have sinks, hence quarter bath

by Anonymousreply 46July 5, 2018 6:59 AM

NO R44. I lived in a house once that had a tiny room with a toilet only, no sink. We called it the "potty room". It was next to the kitchen. You had to wash your hands in the kitchen sink when you were done.

by Anonymousreply 47July 5, 2018 7:00 AM

Well, that's just disgusting, R47. I've been looking at condos forever, a-wishin' and hopin', and I've never, ever seen that. I wouldn't think just sticking a toilet in a closet would make it a bathroom. Pretty much the actual definition of 'shitter'. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 48July 5, 2018 7:04 AM

R 48–It only makes it a quarter bath..they are rare

by Anonymousreply 49July 5, 2018 7:06 AM

It wasn't a condo, dumbass R48. It was a house with 3 other bathrooms. Whoever built it in the 1960's put the 0.25 bathroom there for whatever reason. So fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 50July 5, 2018 7:07 AM

Here for the .25 doubter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 5, 2018 7:43 AM

This thread has people losing there shit..hope they don’t have just the quarter bath with shower

by Anonymousreply 52July 5, 2018 7:56 AM

En suite is not a French tournure. When we talk about a bathroom attached to a bedroom and a walk in closet, we call it "une suite parentale". 😀 R22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 5, 2018 8:27 AM

Darling, I had the most fabulous en suite. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of it.

But here's a picture of the bathroom where Cecil Beaton sucked off Horst. Was it a man with a horse? I know he didn't say that thing about race horses. It was definitely sexual and involved a horse. Or Horst.

Oh, forget that bathroom. Here I am showing how I fleeced rich women or their husband's mistresses back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 5, 2018 8:43 AM

A room with only a basin and a shitter is NOT a bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2018 10:05 PM

I expect this thread to reach 600 replies. It has the same quality potential as the now infamous pasta draining thread!

by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2018 10:52 PM

I like my en suite bathroom. Which has a lovely view of the cul-de-sac. But my favourite room is my boudoir, where I lounge around on my chaise longue, as I do galipettes with my chaffeur and play with his quiqui (peepee) and his noisettes (hazelnuts = balls).

by Anonymousreply 57July 5, 2018 11:13 PM

R5 How spot on. Might I add gateau/gateaux , courgettes, aubergines, eau de toilette, bourgeois, chic, chauffeur, all used/spoken by people not necessarily fluent in French OP.

by Anonymousreply 58July 5, 2018 11:45 PM

[quote] I expect this thread to reach 600 replies. It has the same quality potential as the now infamous pasta draining thread!

Since this is not the first time I have heard mention of this blast from the past thread...

and since I missed it the first time around...

for your viewing enjoyment, below is the link to the famous thread titled...

[quote]Draining spaghetti is so middle-class

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 5, 2018 11:50 PM

Then there's the anti-ensuite: the Pittsburgh Potty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2018 12:05 AM

So what would we call THIS room?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2018 1:17 AM

In my house, the en suite is a grapefruit juice can next to the bed.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2018 2:44 AM

I had an ensuite sink in my London dorm room as a grad student. Just a sink. Toilet and shower were way down the hall and often occupied, which meant climbing stairs.

And let me tell you, like all other young men with an ensuite sink, I found it served non-sink purposes at times.

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2018 4:38 PM

pssst. please don't tell OP about "Jack & Jill" bathrooms, his head would explode

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2018 5:57 PM

[quote]In my house, the en suite is a grapefruit juice can next to the bed.

Wow. You have a house? And a can?

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2018 6:11 PM

Is a "Jack and Jill" like what the Brady Bunch had?

by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2018 6:11 PM

I lived in an apartment in college that had a two sinks in an open area off the hallway, and a separate room each for the toilet and the shower/tub. Since four of us shared it (two bedrooms), everyone could be using something at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 67July 6, 2018 6:13 PM

R60 I absolutely adore you for posting the bit about the Pittsburgh Potty.

Because if one scrolls down after reading about the open toilets was an incredible compilation of the rooms in Tyler Perry's Atlanta mansion which is for sale. It would make an incredible Tasteful Friends! I can only imagine the comments skewering sister Perry and her OTT house in the kudzu.

by Anonymousreply 68July 6, 2018 6:19 PM

Sister Tyler's house is the shitterz.

P.S. And you're going to love the en suite, OP

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2018 12:52 AM

It’s what we call it in my country, OP. Travel a bit - you’ll be terrified but you may learn something.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2018 1:04 AM

LOL! I'm right there with the OP. What's up with the term "ensuite"? Master bathroom has worked in this country for decades, but suddenly we need cooler term for it? No, not really. It irritates the shit out of me, too.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2019 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!