Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Going back to school in early 40’s

I got laid off in April and have had trouble landing a job since (finance) and was thinking about going back to school for a MBA or possibly law school. I’m just not sure if the expense of a graduate degree is worth it. I’d do it part-time evenings and weekend but would accumulate a lot of student debt for tuition, books and supplies with no guarantee of a significant uptick in income to make it worth it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2018 6:04 PM

Don't go back to school (and accumulate the debt) only to get a job. Do it because you love that type of work. If you don't love the work, you may eventually want to leave the field and will regret still having to pay for the education.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2018 2:44 PM

OP it's something to do and expand your mind, reignite your joy of learning and give you some new insights. It may improve your job chances afterwards - you should network during the program and ask your professors about possible opportunities, they may have connections. Also you'll be surrounded by hot, nubile young students who need a daddy to tutor them in the mysteries of life. Even being around the young inquisitive energy can be inspiring and motivating.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2018 2:55 PM

You honestly think getting some part-time MBA at some random university is suddenly going to make you a hot ticket on the job market? It won't.

Unless you are going back to study something immediately employable like nursing or computer programming it is not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2018 3:10 PM

and definitely no law school.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2018 3:15 PM

Why not law school?

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2018 3:50 PM

I'm sure Trump University can help you.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2018 3:58 PM

R1 beat me to it. If there is something you'd love to do and you need an education to do it, then get the education. But don't go back to school if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2018 4:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2018 4:02 PM

[quote]Why not law school?

Times where law school is definitely worth it.

1) You get into a top tier lawschool

2) Someone is paying for your law school

3) You have a job lined up for which you need a law degree

Outside of that it is quite possible to end up with a ton of debt (law school is expensive) and no great job prospects.

What is your reason for pursuing the degree anywhere? Just because you can't find a job right now? That is not a good reason to take on a law degree.

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2018 4:05 PM

They say a lot of lawyers will lose work because of AI.

I agree re nursing, maybe computer something, or something you love. Not really sure about MBA or law. Everything seems to be changing and people expect a recession soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2018 4:08 PM

For someone with your background to try to make yourself more employable, wouldn't it make more sense to try to become a CPA?

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2018 4:08 PM

Search “law school scam” and similar terms on Google. The profession is in a sort of crisis now. Law schools are churning out far more new lawyers than the job market can accommodate, and they’re charging hundreds of thousands of dollars per student to do it. And lawyer pay is not great; the vast majority earn <100K. It is no longer a prestige progession.

If you are looking for an interesting job that pays relatively well and is stable, consider rad tech, respiratory therapist or similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2018 4:11 PM

The primary value of an MBA is in the name and connections with classmates. Don't go into debt to get one otherwise. That said, there are plenty of programs won't put you into massive debt, but will provide some oomph on your resume. There is a big difference between Executive MBA programs and other part-time programs.

You may find programs at some of the state schools or commuter schools worth the effort. For example, schools like the Cal State schools in California are worth considering if you don't want to go into debt.

I wouldn't go to law school today if they paid me. It's simply not worth the time anymore unless you go to a top tier school - and even then, it's dubious whether you'd be able to get back your money.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2018 4:14 PM

Forensic accountants (? auditors?) something like that. Looking through the accounts of a corporation to see where they're hiding the cash. Have to be good in math though.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2018 4:15 PM

Maybe look into MLS programs? Non-profits like people with financial backgrounds, depending on your area of expertise. Maybe start a business? Maybe contact a career counselor or coach?

Good luck

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2018 4:16 PM

More math: Actuaries. Of course I read that on here. A poster said that companies were desperate for actuaries and had to hire foreigners because there were not enough. Salaries were quite good.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2018 4:19 PM

Went to a very good law school as a career change in my mid-30s, and it was in some ways three of the best years of my life. I'm doing alright years later, but it is true there is a glut of lawyers and unless you're willing to struggle with loans and live somewhere where there is a need, don't do it.

There are schools that will cover student loan repayment if you go into certain kinds of practice, working for nonprofits or representing the indigent and such. Noble work, but not a way to become wealthy, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2018 4:35 PM

Skool iz for pussiess:

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2018 4:56 PM

[quote]Do it because you love that type of work.

The absolute best advice. Don't go to get an MBA or Law Degree just to have one.

I see people here making suggestions but again you have to like what you're doing. If you're not interested in tech then don't bother with that just to make money. You may have a harder time making it through and then finding a job you like.

Figure out what it is that you really want to do for the rest of your life then focus on that.

Also do not go to law school if you can help it unless someone else entirely is footing the bill.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2018 5:04 PM

if you are going to spend the money on school study something entirely different. I think you are looking at this from an entirely monetary point of view instead of something you might like to do. You're still quite young and have a number of working years ahead of you. This would be all around better for you because there are plenty of others that have MBA's and law degrees and if you add something different it makes you a more interesting and more intricate person.

If you had a business and were hiring someone what qualifications would you want them to have, something that 100 other people have or that one person that stands out because he is more diversified.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2018 5:07 PM

If you do go back in early 40s, make sure it's before Dec 7, 1941 or you'll get drafted.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2018 5:14 PM

Nurses are in great demand. Forget law or mba. My lawyer told me there’s no good paying jobs for early career lawyers. If you’re smart and not a flake, you could be an ICU nurse. I just saw someone not too smart get an RN but she couldn’t handle the pressure and got fired from 2 places in her first year. She got fired from med-surg AND psych nursing. You’ll breeze by the exams and even get to pick your hours. And all docs love good nurses, cuz we don’t really know shit.

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2018 12:34 AM

Study emerging technologies like blockchain. This will and is taking over virtually every industry. Agree, law is a dead end and is also about to be replaced by AI. Watch this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2018 12:47 AM

The richest plumber in England. Has a yacht, plumber to the stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2018 12:50 AM

My former BF went back to school and earned his JD at age 42 from a Top 25 school. He faced a lot of age-related discrimination at the interview stage, and did not have a legal job offer 6 months after graduation.

He was a CPA before law school, and went back to accounting

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2018 1:44 AM

At 40, your life is already half over, it's too late. Just stick with whatever you are doing and remember nobody lives forever.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2018 2:14 AM

OP going back to school for either an MBA or a law degree would be a waste of money. All you would be doing is wasting money on a piece of paper that is worthless.

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2018 2:16 AM

Went back at 41 for a doctorate in an area that I love. Found that, as an older student, I was more focused and ready than younger members of my cohort. Was the first and only to finish on time, and had a tenure-track job lined up to go into right away, with only 13K debt. Discover EVERY option for grants and fellowships, external to your preferred school and internal to the school and department. Know this before April 1 of the year you apply and you can leverage whatever offers you get from competing schools for the best possible financial aid package. Negotiate hard for ALL the years you'll be grad school, too. Don't leave 2 years hanging, like I did.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2018 2:17 AM

Try the hospitality industry Op. Theres good money in it,and rarely does one encounter real problems.The biggest problem I had was boredom.

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2018 2:19 AM

Get a job. Then figure out what degree could advance you in that position. Do not do the school first. GET A JOB.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2018 2:23 AM

How are your people skills, OP? There is great demand for fundraisers in the non-profit/college world. They can make excellent money if they can bring in the big gifts.

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2018 2:24 AM

For example - teach in a prep school and then get a teaching certification if you like it. Work at a non profit and get a degree in something related to the non profit. Etc etc. Just get a job. You have had decades of experience and you have a bachelor's. If you can't get a job, more schooling is not the magic pill. Its something else.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2018 2:25 AM

If you have a huge cock and speak french you can come live with me and get a masters in Europe for a couple grand.. You will have to let me drain your meat several times a week and do your share of the housework. Don't go into dept in the US for at your age for schooling. How ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2018 2:27 AM

debt

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2018 2:27 AM

Thank you for all the advice, everyone. I have decided to look into taking classes at the local community college in a field that I want to explore.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2018 2:38 AM

OP, I went back to college to get my MA 7 years ago and it was the best decision I made. Being out of school since the mid 90s, and planning a big move to a new state, I new I had to freshen up my resume as well as get 'newer' education to be competitive. Take out student loans to cover the bases, get through school as quickly as you can and find that better paying job. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2018 4:09 AM

Don't get distracted by all the hot young ass on campus. (The downstairs men's room gets pretty busy around 10:00 A.M. on Tuesdays, incidentally.)

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2018 4:47 AM

A sobering read for OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2018 4:54 AM

One community college in my city has a year-long program to train pharmacy technicians. I'm thinking the money isn't all that great, but isn't there a demand for that field? The huge financial company I work for is beginning to weed out those of us over 45 years of age - I need to train for something besides banking and finance.

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2018 5:32 AM

Pharmacists or pharmacist technicians are on their feet 8 or 9 hours a day, r39. Horrible thought.

by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2018 5:44 AM

With a finance background if you go to law school, you could specialize in tax law. There are US tax lawyers in Canada-easier to get jobs. Most are Americans. Moody Gartner in Calgary has a fair number of US tax lawyers. They get into the country under NAFTA, so I don’t know what will happen if Trump blows that up.

I think an accounting designation would give you a lot of opportunity as well. Plus as pointed out, there’s a lot of opportunity for nurses.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2018 5:55 AM

Plastics!

Oh wait, maybe not

by Anonymousreply 42July 4, 2018 6:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!