Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rhetorical relocation question

You have to decide between three cities/regions. Each has its pluses and minuses. Which one would you pick, and why?

(a) Denver

(b) Southern California - not LA, likely Orange County or a coastal city somewhere between Long Beach and San Diego

(c) Columbus, OH

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2018 3:47 PM

I know it’s the summer season, but isn’t this a repeat?

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2018 10:32 PM

Columbus has quite a bit going for it...

A)Cost of living is very cheap here and not because it is a bad place to live.

B)A nice midsize airport. Easy to get in and out of but enough choices to get competitive fairs (no major hub here).

C)Lots of space and rather easy to get around in your car.

D)Mass transit consists solely of buses and they are limited in hours and scope. On the other hand they are cheap compared to other major cities (4.50 for a day pass, 62 for a monthly pass)

E)Ohio State is a major research university. Columbus College of Art and Design is known nationally and they are not the only fine universities in the city.

F)Lots of neighborhoods within the city each with their own personality and some have busy night lives.

G) Museums are rather limited but the art museum is wonderful and is free on Sundays.

H) A world class (no hyperbole) zoo which is the jewel of the city.

I) Professional sports are limited with the highlights being the NHL Bluejackets and the MLS Crew. Columbus is still very much a college town sports wise dominated by Ohio State but the pro teams are supported well.

J)Lots of hi-tech jobs here (Batelle Institute a well known one).

K)Unlike most of the "rust belt" Columbus was never dominated by heavy industry and is a service, knowledge based economy. We are the only major city in Ohio to be growing and rapidly at that.

L)Crime rate, especially violent, is relatively low.

To sum up I would say Columbus is about as big as you want if you want the cultural and conveniences of a big city but not so big as you start running into the downsides of a major city (congestion, costs, crime etc...)

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2018 10:38 PM

There are no pluses to living in OH, except waiting for death.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2018 10:46 PM

Columbus if you’re middle class. Great city, low cost of living and a lot going for it.

If you’re rich though enjoy the sunshine in Cali

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2018 10:55 PM

[quote](b) Southern California - not LA, likely Orange County or a coastal city somewhere between Long Beach and San Diego

You've completely ruled out the SoCal coastal communities of Santa Barbara, Carpinteria, Ventura and Oxnard, which, IMO, are the best of the best. Well, maybe not Oxnard so much, but the others are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2018 11:06 PM

Suicide.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2018 11:13 PM

[quote]Rhetorical relocation question

I don't think this means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2018 11:34 PM

My first impulse was Denver, because it's in an area I like and the cost of living is so much better than in So Cal, but I'd have to see how severe the winters are before giving my theoretical "yes". Having to commute during blizzards just wouldn't do.

Which is only one of the reasons to rule out Ohio, no need to go into the others.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2018 11:52 PM

Do you not know how to post a POLL?

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2018 1:00 AM

What exactly is rhetorical about your question, OP?

Any chance you meant hypothetical?

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2018 2:12 AM

R8, lifelong Ohioan here, and it's rare to get a full=blown blizzard in Columbus. The last one was over 40 years ago. We do get snow in the winter, but it varies from year to year how much. Last winter, we got about 6 inches all winter. The year before that maybe 18 inches.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2018 2:25 AM

Live in a 1BR condo in CA. I’d rather have access to that nature, entertainment and energy than live in a bigger place in Denver (still kinda expensive, boring city, good nature) or Columbus (surrounded by opioids, close to deplorables, far from the good energy, not as much fun, minimal nature)

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2018 3:01 AM

Don't move to Denver, Denver is awful. Boring city, rising costs of living, high altitude adjustments for cooking. Denver sucks.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2018 3:04 AM

Yes, hypothetical. I know the difference and brain farted.

Change your bloody tampons, girls.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2018 4:23 AM

The only culture in Columbus is Ohio State football.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2018 4:45 AM

R15 I remember visiting there years ago.

They even stopped the gay men's choral concert, in the middle of a song, to announce that OSU had won a game.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2018 2:31 AM

[quote]The only culture in Columbus is Ohio State football.

I'm pretty sure they have yogurt, too.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2018 5:38 AM

I would consider Denver, if it was not in a high altitude. I have visited, and lived in cities with a high altitude, and it sucks how difficult it is to breathe, and it takes awhile to a acclimate to it. I wouldn't want to live in either Ohio, or Southern California. Why only these 3 cities?

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2018 5:44 AM

R13 a lot of people from CA are moving to Brahrolado. There are good cities and towns in CO, but Denver is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2018 5:46 AM

I'd go for Columbus. I have family in Chicago and Michigan and a number of friends in Cincinnati, so I'd be in good proximity to all of them. I'm from the Midwest so used to the weather.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2018 5:43 PM

I would consider Denver.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2018 12:21 AM

Another thing about Denver, it frequently stinks.

There is a Purina dog food factory north of downtown, and frequently in winter the downtown area will smell like blood, and on days when they are extruding the dog food the downtown area will smell like low quality extruded dog food, a mixture of shit, death, and blood.

On other days in the winter when there is low pressure the downtown area will smell like manure.

I've never been to a major city that stinks of cowshed in the downtown area.

Then you have smoke from yearly forest fires filling the city with smoke during the summer.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2018 1:48 AM

If you can afford it, coastal Orange County would be my pick. I grew up there (but moved to Chicago in my 30s) and would certainly return if I had the opportunity. Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente are great places to live and not as stereotypically "OC" as Newport. Great weather, really good food (especially Asian and Mexican), and easy access to mountains, desert, beaches, etc. Traffic sucks, but not as much as in LA.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2018 2:26 AM

I already live in San Diego, so problem solved for me. It's definitely not perfect but it's home and has been for the past 27 years. I originally came from Pennsylvania and to go back there to live would make me very unhappy. Columbus is not terribly far from where I once lived back there and although I like German Village there (I don't know if they still have it as it has been many years since I've been in Columbus), it would be too much like going back there again. Otherwise I don't know a great deal about Denver, I did a whirlwind tour of one day there in the '80s and all I recall is a free shuttle from the train station to Colfax Avenue. It was OK but had no overwhelming desire to live there or even go back for some reason to visit/vacation.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2018 3:11 AM

Columbus .... one really ought to live in a place that has four seasons

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2018 3:39 AM

Would this rhetorical move be for work? If so, avoid OH. Nobody listens to the branch offices in flyover.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2018 5:23 AM

[quote] I already live in San Diego, so problem solved for me. It's definitely not perfect but it's home and has been for the past 27 years. I originally came from Pennsylvania and to go back there to live would make me very unhappy. Columbus is not terribly far from where I once lived back there and although I like German Village there (I don't know if they still have it as it has been many years since I've been in Columbus), it would be too much like going back there again. Otherwise I don't know a great deal about Denver, I did a whirlwind tour of one day there in the '80s and all I recall is a free shuttle from the train station to Colfax Avenue. It was OK but had no overwhelming desire to live there or even go back for some reason to visit/vacation.

SD is on our list to a degree but I think to live where we'd want to live would be a tremendous challenge in terms of cost, and although many cities have downtowns that have been reinvigorated, it seems like a huge swath of downtown SD has the airport in its midst (and thus airplanes overhead all the time). Not in the poorhouse but a ramshackle shack is a million plus there.

Columbus seems to be a growing/changing city in ways unlike Pittsburgh or Cleveland (which are coming back from the worst of rust belt lows, but are not quite in a growth situation).

Denver is very much growing but I worry that we have come to the table "too late" and that finding a home and job might be more of a challenge than anticipated.

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2018 3:34 PM

Downtown San Diego is nice- at least the Gaslamp and Little Italy. Great public transport. And there is plenty of housing that are not "shacks" for a million dollars or less.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2018 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!