Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hurd Hatfield

Gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2018 11:00 PM

That'd be my guess!

I do like me some pretty boys...

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2018 6:53 AM

I prefer Perd to Hurd.

Which makes me a Perdvert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2018 7:52 AM

He played The Count of Monte Cristo on DuPont Show of the Month in 1958. It was my favorite novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2018 8:10 AM

He was odd looking and a terribly wooden actor.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2018 8:13 AM

He gives me a hurd-on.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2018 4:16 PM

I thought that his rather wooden acting gave Dorian Gray an inscrutable, impassive quality that was actually appropriate for the character.

As for OP's question, this is from the site Gay Influence:

Born in New York City in 1918, Hatfield (1951 photo at right) won a scholarship to study acting at Michael Chekhov's Dartington Hall company in Devon, England. Returning to the United States with Chekhov's company in 1939, he began a sexual affair with fellow troupe member Yul Brynner a year later. Unlike Brynner, however, Hatfield remained exclusively homosexual his entire life. During the time the company was playing on the West Coast, Hatfield was signed by MGM and within a year director Albert Lewin’s “The Picture of Dorian Gray” was released in movie houses."

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2018 4:56 PM

He certainly plays gay in Arthur Penn's THE LEFT-HANDED GUN (58), animatedly slobbering over Paul Newman's Billy the Kid. He's also interesting to watch him looking at Warren Beatty in Penn's MICKEY ONE (65).

I think he was only "wooden" in DORIAN GRAY, because that's how Lewin wanted him to act.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2018 5:10 PM

He also played a gay antiques dealer in "The Boston Strangler." His character is initially considered a suspect in the murders.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2018 5:29 PM

He was rumored to be a non binary pansexual.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2018 5:35 PM

Edmund Dantes was not a gay.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2018 5:41 PM

Dorian Gray is one of the easiest characters ever to cast - all you have to do is to find a ridiculously good-looking actor. And yet someone thought it was a good idea to give that role to a person who looked like a cross between Michael Jackson and a mummy in the 1945 version. That film would have been a masterpiece with someone more appropriate playing the titular role (someone like young Gregory Peck).

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2018 5:45 PM

He had to be.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2018 5:54 PM

He was such a darkie people called him Turd Hatfield in the olden fays!

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2018 6:11 PM

olden days.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2018 6:11 PM

R11 An English version of Gregory peck would be more suitable.

Someone like—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2018 7:29 PM

Didn't he have a house in Ireland close to Angela Lansbury where he lived with a male partner.

The house is called Ballinterry House and is run as a B & B and wedding venue now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2018 7:51 PM

Ol' Granddaddy in Crimes of the Heart!

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2018 7:54 PM

R15 Peck did get very "American" looking later on in his life, but by 1944 (when Dorian Gray was being filmed) he still oozed that dark anglo-saxon sexiness. He would have nailed that role. I can also see young Monty Clift playing Dorian Gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2018 8:19 PM

You need a blond for Dorian Gray, I think.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2018 8:20 PM

His most famous relationship was with Yul Brynner when they were at Michael Chekhov Theatre Studio in Ridgefield, Connecticut apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2018 8:26 PM

Gay, you ask? The man's as gay as a picnic basket!

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2018 8:34 PM

Will Arnett resembles him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2018 2:04 AM

Hurd Hatfield is such a silly word 'hillbilly name' and he was so wooden. And I agree with R6 that his 'inscrutable, impassive quality' was very appropriate for Dorian.

Dorian Gray was a 2 dimensional object of beauty in the eyes of the aesthetes around him, He was amoral and soul-less and would kill to retain his superficial beauty.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2018 8:01 PM

I smell chocolate chip!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2018 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!