Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Detroit's Beautiful Decrepit Abandoned Central Train Station Gets A New Life

Good news. Ford announced this week that it has acquired the Michigan Central Station in Detroit and will be renovating it. The 1913 train station is an 18-story Beaux Arts beauty that has been abandoned since 1988. Ford intends to make it the centerpiece in its newly planned Ford Detroit campus.

I love stories like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2018 5:24 AM

I love Beaux Arts. I'm glad the building is getting new life.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2018 3:08 AM

Those people completely destroyed Detroit'

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2018 3:09 AM

Agreed OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2018 3:10 AM

Great that it survived and will finally be restored. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2018 3:10 AM

Great that it survived and will finally be restored. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2018 3:12 AM

Lotsa luck tearing out the asbestos and replacing the stolen copper plumbing pipes and electrical wiring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2018 3:38 AM

r6 they apparently have money to burn (but not the asbestos, as it is flame-retardant).

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2018 3:41 AM

That video is almost a decade old, R6. The city or someone replaced all the windows since and cleared out the inside but it's still mostly barely concrete.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2018 3:44 AM

What a gorgeous building. I'm so glad that it is being restored.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2018 3:47 AM

Should have happened in the 1990s. Detroit lost out on a lot of opportunities .

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2018 3:48 AM

Fix it up all pretty inside. Meanwhile, right outside...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2018 3:52 AM

It would be nicer if it were to going a public building rather than something that only Ford employees will ever see.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2018 4:28 AM

A postcard from its golden years...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2018 5:27 PM

Hmm... wish they'd pull these old things down and just shrink the city - replant trees, etc.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2018 5:28 PM

Where is Detroit's train station today? Why not use this building again in addition to what Ford has planned for it? I imagine the train station now is one of those small, boxy, characterless buildings for which Amtrak is well known.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2018 5:36 PM

how's detroit doing these days? Is it better or still a ghost town?

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote] how's detroit doing these days?

The downtown symbol of the city summarizes affairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2018 5:43 PM

everyone that's not on heroin and starving is basically fat in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2018 6:26 PM

Detroit is very strange city. Even so called very poor people are fat

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2018 6:31 PM

We hate looking at it.

Let's get Trump to build and pay for a wall.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2018 6:36 PM

How nice that when people flee this city they can do so from a nice train station.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2018 6:49 PM

R19, carbs are the cheapest food to buy. Throw in alcohol and the weight goes up.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2018 6:52 PM

I can see that area becoming like the old factories along the Gowanus in Brooklyn - spaces for artists and other businesses. There's potential.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2018 6:56 PM

[quote]R19, carbs are the cheapest food to buy.

I was just going to post the same thing.

Why do people like R19 not understand that?

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2018 6:58 PM

R19, as others have pointed out, check the prices. When wild-caught king salmon is like $40/lb right now, but Entemann's is buy one, get one free, how do you expect people to eat healthily?

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2018 7:11 PM

Detroit has gorgeous housing stock that's dirt-cheap because nobody wants to live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2018 7:12 PM

Detroit will have its day again. Right now, the hot spot is Baltimore, but I'm sure the Hipsters will discover Detroit soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2018 7:15 PM

Detroit = evidence that gentrification has its limits. So much possibility - but not close to a thriving major city like Baltimore and lacking jobs. Some of the real estate on Curbed is drool worthy for dirt cheap. But would rather live in a 1BR in a more upbeat, thriving city.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2018 7:22 PM

These people destroyed Detroit -R2

What a joke ! The people who destroyed Detroit were their so called leaders over the last few decades -Kwame Killpatrick -former mayor -beloved by his public -now in jail- mail fraud wire fraud racketeering -and probably orchestrated the murder of an exotic dancer who was at a party at his house and got in a fight with his life Good grief get your facts straight

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2018 7:24 PM

Hence, the saying, R28: Location x3

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2018 7:24 PM

I live in the D.... First the Ford family are royalty around here and they deserve it... The project will be paid mostly by taxpayers and not Ford Motor Company. The original architects also did Grand Central in NYC. This will be a total bitch to restore combining the intricate old with the new. Don't cry for the neighbors who will be priced out soon The whites in nearby Corktown and the Hispanics in nearby Mexican Town who bought their houses in the 90's have seen a 4000 plus percent return on their homes When I travel people ask if they should invest in the D, Probably too late and not sll of the city will come back. Completely along the yhe Detroit River (15 miles) and around the Ford venture are or have gone all white. Secrion 8 clients are being pushed out to the older suburbs. Ford will have to bring back some of the engineering jobs farmed out to Rimanian engineers ( 6 dollars an hour not any benefits) for this tech house venture. Mon thru Fri Michigan is the best for daily living. But, a plane ride somewhere else for the faster things in life.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2018 11:32 PM

The project will be paid mostly by taxpayers and not Ford Motor Company.

I sorta figured. There will be some hefty kickbacks and sweetheart contracts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2018 11:43 PM

Seriously, why are the politicians there so lacking in even the most basic ethics? I think it's disgusting that people vote for them and those elected immediately abuse that honor. Just gross. They abuse what MLK died for, they should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2018 11:46 PM

We're constantly reading stories here on DL about people being squeezed/priced out of places like NYC, LA and SF. Yet most of those correspondents aren't planning to buy farms or ranches, are they? They'll end up moving to so-called second-tier cities, where their money goes much further. Detroit may fall into the category of third-tier, because of all its woes, but rust belt cities (I live in one) have a lot to offer, since you can actually afford little luxuries that help tide you over.

Anyway, I enjoyed OP's article. I'm disappointed (but not surprised) by the pessimism and racism on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2018 12:33 AM

Detroit tops the list of Worst 50 American Cities in Which to Live

1. Detroit, Michigan

> Population: 672,829

> Median home value: $43,500

> Poverty rate: 35.7%

> Pct. with at least a bachelor’s degree: 14.9%

The poster child of American post-industrial urban decline, Detroit, Michigan, ranks as the worst city in the country to live in. Once home to 1.8 million residents at the peak of U.S. auto manufacturing in the 1950s, the city is now home to fewer than 700,000 after decades of decline.

A poor, economically depressed city, more than one in every three Detroit residents live below the poverty line. The city also has one of the highest unemployment rates in the United States, with 10.9% of the workforce out of a job. Detroit is also dangerous. It is the only city in the country where there were over 2,000 violent crimes for every 100,000 residents in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2018 12:42 AM

It’s a gorgeous building.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2018 1:07 AM

Looking at R35's stats made me think about how often DLers compare Detroit with Newark as if their conditions are identical, even though Detroit is so much worse.

Let me take it point by point.

While Newark's population of 281,764 is a major drop from its peak of 438,776, that represents a 36% loss (compared with Detroit 63% drop).

The median home value is $225,700 - BTW up 38% over last year- (compared with Detroit's $43,500).

The poverty rate is 28.2% (compared with Detroit's 35.7%).

The unemployment rate is 7.8% (compared with Detroit's 10.9%)

The violent crime rate per 100,000 people is 937 (compared with Detroit's 2,000).

The only thing that's about the same is the # of people with a bachelor's degree or higher.

I think Newark has a greater chance of a rebirth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2018 2:25 AM

[quote]Detroit will have its day again. Right now, the hot spot is Baltimore, but I'm sure the Hipsters will discover Detroit soon enough.

There are hipsters around the Eastern Market area for sure. There are tiny pockets throughout the city.

I once read something interesting about Michigan. It is surrounded by the largest freshwater lakes in the world. As climate changes advances and resources become scarce, Michigan and Detroit will see a real Renaissance. That made sense to me, I think it will happen.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2018 5:16 AM

My impression is that Detroit's current mayor is pretty sharp and competent.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2018 5:23 AM

What if freshwater was so scarce we went to war over the Great Lakes?

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2018 5:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!