Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In your personal opinion the best: Zoo, Aquarium and Theme Park

Post your choices.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2018 4:57 AM

What zoo? What aquarium? What theme park?

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2018 1:52 AM

The Stone Zoo in Stoneham, MA has the best docent. I can testify to that.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2018 1:54 AM

I would only go to an aquarium.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2018 1:59 AM

R3 = Aquaman

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2018 2:14 AM

I bought a zoo.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2018 2:15 AM

I always go to the Aquarium in New Orleans and in Mystic, CT. San Diego and actually Oklahoma City for general zoos. There is a nice aquarium park outside of Tulsa,OK in a suburb called Jenks that is nice when I am stuck in middle America visiting family.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2018 2:30 AM

Zoo - San Diego

Aquarium - Monterey, CA

Theme Park - Cedar Point, Ohio

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2018 2:33 AM

Hate all 3. Does anyone over 12 go to these?

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2018 3:01 AM

I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's entirely devoted to everything that lives in Monterey Bay, and it's expansive, informative, interesting, and does a lot of interesting marine biology research. And they have rescue otters!

And it's done wonders for the local economy. It is all that a tourist attraction should be.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2018 4:56 AM

Zoo: Riverbanks Zoo, in Columbia SC. It is surprisingly nice.

Aquarium: Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA

Theme Park: Dollywood, fun rides, great shows, good food, and the mountain setting keeps it shady.

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2018 5:03 AM

There’s a really good aquarium on St. Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2018 5:10 AM

Zoo: Bronx

Aquarium: Monterey

No opinion on theme park

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2018 5:13 AM

[quote]I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's entirely devoted to everything that lives in Monterey Bay,

No it isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2018 5:14 AM

Best zoos and aquaria:none. They should be abolished.

Best theme park: who cares.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2018 5:17 AM

Atlanta Aquarium

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote]Best zoos and aquaria:none. They should be abolished.

Some animals that are extinct in the wild only survive in zoos, Tumblr-ina. So when we abolish them, what should we do with those animals — push them off a cliff?

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2018 5:23 AM

Zoo - San Diego Zoo

Aquarium - Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA

Theme Park - 1970s Disneyland, when it was still affordable and pre-Eisner/Lucas/Star Wars crap 💩.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2018 5:42 AM

Worst Zoo - Congress

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2018 12:58 PM

Aquarium. Don't care for theme parks, and zoos require much stamina to see it all!

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2018 1:01 PM

R19 here, having totally misunderstood the poorly-worded thread title!

So, considering only places I've been to:

Zoo: San Diego, for the koalas (although next month I'm visiting the Bronx Zoo, so maybe I'll revise.)

Theme Park: Disneyworld, for its Epcot Center.

Aquarium: Mystic, CT. But one of these years I must see the Baltimore aquarium!

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2018 1:08 PM

I’m torn between saying R7’s list is perfect and replacing Cedar Point with Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2018 1:14 PM

Zoo - San Diego Safari Park (FKA Wild Animal Park)

Aquarium - Monterey Bay

Theme Park - tie between Disneyland and Universal's Islands of Adventure

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2018 3:34 PM

Cedar Point is great if you like rides.

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2018 3:37 PM

Zoo: Brookfield

Aquarium: L'Oceanografic in Spain (Sorry Shedd is too expensive and Georgia is just a mess)

Theme Park: Universal Orlando, where the Wizarding World of Harry Potter puts it over the top.

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2018 3:47 PM

Zoo: Columbus

Aquarium: Pacific, Long Beach, CA

Theme Park: Cedar Point

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2018 4:00 PM

I think Chicagoans start all these threads as this is an area where Chicago really shines. It can't really compete with NY and Washington in museums, let alone Europe; but when it comes to planetarium, aquarium, etc. it is always right up there. And a couple of its institutions are unquestionably the best in the world, and not the Museum of Science and Industry, which Chicagoans usually think the best in the world. They are the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glenview, a mere toddler in the world of botanica, but simply amazing (and it has 50,000 sustaining members, so money is not a problem). And for opposite reasons, the Field Museum of Natural HIstory, whose exhibits are not all that great despite one of the world's finest museum buildings architecturally. But what the Field does have are collections. During the earlier years of the 20th C, the museum sponsored more collecting trips than the British Museum, the Smithsonian, and the New York Museum of Natural HIstory combined, and therefore has the world's largest collections of samples available for study, some 40 million items and 150 full-time research employees.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2018 4:25 PM

Haven't been interested in theme parks at all since early 20s. I don't trust zoos or aquariums to treat the animals correctly. I think we need a fourth option, Cirque du Soleil or a circus with human performers only.

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote]a circus with human performers only.

We already have that. It's called the Trump White House.

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2018 11:25 PM

Everybody likes cats and dogs. Why shouldn’t they love zoos?

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2018 11:38 PM

The Tiergarten Schönbrunn in Vienna. Has a little bit of everything and lovely setting with beautiful gardens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2018 12:03 AM

[quote]a circus with human performers only.

[quote]We already have that. It's called the Trump White House.

Liar!

Nobody in the Trump White House is human.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2018 2:29 AM

I don't want to go to theme park tonight.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2018 3:00 AM

Are you taking me to coffee house? Great!

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2018 4:36 AM

Boston Aquarium with the massive circular fish tank in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2018 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!